Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #1591
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
Riddle me this...what's a car that has:
-4 doors
-luxurious/comfortable
-decent mpg (low 20's street/high 20's hwy)
-350+hp
-CA legal (no imports, must pass smog)
-reliable and cheap to maintain/fix
-under 3500lbs
-RWD or AWD
-manual transmission
-$15,000 - $25,000
-somewhat newer (2006+)
In your 'keyword' search, enter Salvage title. /
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #1592
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
...isn't that why people get Porsches? I'm not gonna lie, the desire to sell all my cars and have one $40-$50k car that needs nothing but some wheels seems pretty alluring. My Spec R is fine for now, but I'd be lying if I said I don't sometimes dream of cashing out, selling all my 'treasures' and logging in just to cause trouble.

...do you ever just look at all your accumulated parts and compare the dollars invested to the current going rate? I do a good job of only buying things I actually want, but I end up not using them in an effort to preserve them..for what, I don't really know.
People buy modern Porsches because they're supposed to. If you're a well-to-do car enthusiast, you have to have a Turbo S/GT3/GT3 RS/GT2/GT2 RS in your portfolio- otherwise, you're not a car enthusiast.

Except that they're complete and utter shit on the fun roads around me. Narrow, bumpy, dirty, nasty roads that require suspension travel and compliance are not roads you drive in a modern Porsche and I love those roads. Vintage Porsches love those roads if they're set up right.

I never think of my spending on cars in terms of what the money could buy for an adult. If I pay for something, think I got a good deal, use it and it makes me happy, the cost is immaterial. I'm quite good at adulting poorly. Even if I run out of time to do my own work, I'll still pay someone to do the work I want done- I guess one part of hiring really talented people is having really talented people who can do me a solid once or twice a year.

I've recently started discovering all the dirt roads within 60 miles of me. Once I sell my e30, my S13 hatch and my Range Rover Classic, I'm going to build something rwd, manual and car-based to explore with.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #1593
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
People buy modern Porsches because they're supposed to. If you're a well-to-do car enthusiast, you have to have a Turbo S/GT3/GT3 RS/GT2/GT2 RS in your portfolio- otherwise, you're not a car enthusiast.

Except that they're complete and utter shit on the fun roads around me. Narrow, bumpy, dirty, nasty roads that require suspension travel and compliance are not roads you drive in a modern Porsche and I love those roads. Vintage Porsches love those roads if they're set up right.

I never think of my spending on cars in terms of what the money could buy for an adult. If I pay for something, think I got a good deal, use it and it makes me happy, the cost is immaterial. I'm quite good at adulting poorly. Even if I run out of time to do my own work, I'll still pay someone to do the work I want done- I guess one part of hiring really talented people is having really talented people who can do me a solid once or twice a year.

I've recently started discovering all the dirt roads within 60 miles of me. Once I sell my e30, my S13 hatch and my Range Rover Classic, I'm going to build something rwd, manual and car-based to explore with.
I would say the Air Cooled cars really fit in that "because you are suppose to" hipster car enthusiast nitche.

Also, how about an AMC? Lol
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #1594
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa

Didn't realize I had to take pictures of my shit sitting in my driveway. But there is my S13 without the BN on it because I'm lazy and don't feel like painting it yet, my EVO X I drive whenever I get bored, I also have a 2017 F350 that I tow my fifth wheel camper and boat with, a 2018 Avalon I daily and a SC300 that I'm LS2-T'ing right now that will soon be a YouTube series because I'm fixin' to cash in on that whole bullshit craze. That little puppy has some sponsors of companies you may or may not recognize that are also relevant. I don't gawk and find useless ways to post my irrelevant shit on a forum. In the end, I have more reason to be here than you do.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #1595
Corbic
Post Whore!

Old 08-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #1596
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
He said he wanted to cash out and get something nice - not a piece of shit lower end model boat anchor. Fucking thing is over two ton. Imagine some dude with jean coveralls, a straw hat and a fat dip packed against the gum pull on you in his junkyard turbo LS S-chassis on the track. He probably paid way the fuck less, had way the fuck more fun and people don't ridicule him for posting pictures of his domestic 'drag' car on an internet forum for Japanese drift cars because he didn't nut up and pay a little more for the car that was FAR more superior in the Hellcat and/or Demon [but the Demon is much less practical so I don't judge Hellcat owners for not taking that step].
I just about shit my pants lol.

Corbic means well, I'm sure. He's just a red-blooded American, bruthurrrrr.

I don't feel like I HAVE to own a Porsche, but my mind:

a.) Doesn't go to American cars when thinking about this.
b.) Realizes I wouldn't want an R35.
c.) Realizes I'd have to get a wayyyy older version of *insert exotic sports car*.

Porsche really seems like a good idea, if they are what they're supposed to be. I have zero experience though. Just speculating here and listening to Richard Hammond drool over them on Grand Tour.

Who knows man. I dig the Q50 too so maybe that will be my 'big boy adult car' and I can still say I'm a Nissan fuccboi.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #1597
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
Porsche really seems like a good idea, if they are what they're supposed to be. I have zero experience though. Just speculating here and listening to Richard Hammond drool over them on Grand Tour.
Owned two, PM me if you want specific insights.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #1598
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
996 TT or 997 S?

Also, those ATS's are pretty dope. I didnt know they came in manuals.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #1599
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
996 TT or 997 S?

Also, those ATS's are pretty dope. I didnt know they came in manuals.
996TT after a full inspection by a well regarded indy.

997.1 S is a great looking car but you'll have IMS hanging over your head. 997.2 fixes that issue for the most part. The 991 is a beast, but a dramatic shift in terms of feel and experience.

996 will always be unloved because of its awful 90's Ford Taurus styling. The TT uses a Metzger engine which is tits and super reliable. It will cost a fortune if it does break...

I'd hard pass on a 996 N/A, even a C4. The premium price doesn't do shit to close the Minimal experience gap between a 986/7 Boxster or Cayman. Even a lowely 2.5 Boxster fucking sings as you beat on it down the road. Fun cars, I may get another one day.

A base 997 is as wide as a 996 C4, and you can easily make any AWD car 2WD if you are so inclined. Triptronic is garbage, early DSG is cool but expensive to service.

Cars have lots of electrical quirks that will nickle and dime you.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #1600
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Damn, I thought the IMS issues only plagued the 996's.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #1601
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Naw, mid cycle 997.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-sales/Pu...-a-997-Porsche

Don't ever let the used prices fool you. These are very much $100,000 used European sports cars.

If you are not in a rush, I'd honestly wait for the C8 to hit the street.

1. Maybe you'll want a C8
2. Maybe lots of other people will want C8s and dump their Porches, flooding the market.
3. Lamborghini Gallardos can all just be sent to the scrap heap now.

Also, in case you didn't know, the Turbo and GT3 engines are based on the old Air Cooled, then Liquid Cooled Metzger engine, they don't have IMS bearings. They are also insanely expensive ($20k used engine).

I bet a clean 981 goes for the less then a 997..
Old 08-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #1602
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
People who are going to buy the C8 aren't going to trade anything in - they have the money to just buy the fucking thing. If you have to trade in a Porsche to buy a 'Vette, there is an awful financial decision being made which isn't going to be common. I doubt there will be a 'flood.' I sold my Porsche because honestly I didn't like it. The driveability was great but the practicality of owning a house, having rental properties, working in the specific field I'm in all were driving forces to buying it [wanting something to disconnect me from all my responsibility] and also the reason I sold it [not practical].

I'm sure in the future I'll get another or something in the same class but I wouldn't be in a massive rush to go buy a Porsche. Volkswagen kids will blow their vape shit in your face while they ask you if you'll sell them their stock wheels or how if they can see your engine because it's in the back and that's 'chill.'

Side note: I was disappointed that meme that's almost as gay as you was your only rebuttal. No words, no nothing - just a picture. Classy but disappointing.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #1603
spooled240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Naw, mid cycle 997.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-sales/Pu...-a-997-Porsche

Don't ever let the used prices fool you. These are very much $100,000 used European sports cars.

If you are not in a rush, I'd honestly wait for the C8 to hit the street.

1. Maybe you'll want a C8
2. Maybe lots of other people will want C8s and dump their Porches, flooding the market.
3. Lamborghini Gallardos can all just be sent to the scrap heap now.

Also, in case you didn't know, the Turbo and GT3 engines are based on the old Air Cooled, then Liquid Cooled Metzger engine, they don't have IMS bearings. They are also insanely expensive ($20k used engine).

I bet a clean 981 goes for the less then a 997..
From what I've been reading the TT's are bulletproof and pretty damn reliable, but yeah if it needs any major repairs you need to refinance the house lol

I wonder how much this will go for: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...e-911-turbo-44

maybe $75k?

Quote:
Side note: I was disappointed that meme that's almost as gay as you was your only rebuttal. No words, no nothing - just a picture. Classy but disappointing.
That picture does have words "absolutely dreadful.." in a British accent
Old 08-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #1604
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Don't see font and I didn't even know text could have an accent.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #1605
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
The Mezger TT engine only has a couple faults that are easily corrected. If you blow up a Mezger engine, that's on you- the cars have been around long enough that the faults are known and should be immediately rectified given the cost to prevent versus the cost to repair.

Wow, I didn't realize Gallardo prices were within spitting distance of 997.1 GT3 prices. I'd much rather have the Gallardo; I'm ok with being a ponce if I'm a ponce with that V10 right behind me.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #1606
wanadrift

Trader Rating: (0)
wanadrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Entertaining thread. Good to see this site refuses to die. If I stay here long enough I'm sure I'll end up with another hatch.
wanadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #1607
spooled240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Don't see font and I didn't even know text could have an accent.
Why did you go with such weaksauce specs on the Evo? You can throw 18x10.5 +15's all around on those X's with minimal effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
Wow, I didn't realize Gallardo prices were within spitting distance of 997.1 GT3 prices. I'd much rather have the Gallardo; I'm ok with being a ponce if I'm a ponce with that V10 right behind me.
Lambos are for music videos. Porsches are for the track.

"Make you bitch pass out straight hit the floor
Said I never seen a car like that before
What's that thang stickin' up? That's the door"
Old 08-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #1608
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Why did you go with such weaksauce specs on the Evo? You can throw 18x10.5 +15's all around on those X's with minimal effort

Shhh, leave the poor thing alone.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #1609
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
I had those from my STI. Instead of spending money to get a half inch wider tire and a flat face, re-purposing was better. It's not a race car, it's just something that I like to drive in the mountains or put around town from time to time. If I wanted to roll my fenders and ruin my shit instead of just driving it, I would have. I'm not looking to win any show car awards. I appreciate you giving me such valued advise, though. I didn't realize I could just walk to my garage and measure what I could fit before I made the decision to swap wheels. You're such a wise, wise man.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #1610
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
I had those from my STI. Instead of spending money to get a half inch wider tire and a flat face, re-purposing was better. It's not a race car, it's just something that I like to drive in the mountains or put around town from time to time. If I wanted to roll my fenders and ruin my shit instead of just driving it, I would have. I'm not looking to win any show car awards. I appreciate you giving me such valued advise, though. I didn't realize I could just walk to my garage and measure what I could fit before I made the decision to swap wheels. You're such a wise, wise man.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #1611
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

I have an S13 for the track. I'll probably have GT3 money in it by the time I'm done, and that might be 2025, but I'm ok with that.

Track Porsches are for people who want to compare their more expensive track car to less expensive track cars, or for people who show up with a crew to an amateur SCCA GT2-class race. I'm not tracking a modern Porsche because I'm not interested in modern Porsches.

I want a Lambo for the drama but to be honest... I'd keep saving and buy a 550. They're going nowhere but up and I want a proper front-engine F-car, even if it means paying 50-100% more.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #1612
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

I wouldn't save for a Porsche again like I did the first time around. It was fun and exciting when I got it because anything new is fun and exciting but when my excitement mellowed and I was just 'another Porsche owner,' I unloaded it. Ironically, the only car I bought that still has me hooked is the EVO. Granted the other one is meth injected pushing four numbers in the AWHP department, the stock one is just as fun. Different motor [4B11 vs 4G63] but the same amount of fun.

I have considered a Lamborghini and test drove one twice - the second time ended with me putting a deposit - but something inside of me said I was forcing it. Don't force it. Always lube it up before you force it in. That's what my first grade teacher Miss Kazarowski told me.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #1613
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Don't force it. Always lube it up before you force it in. That's what my first grade teacher Miss Kazarowski told me.
She was a Thailand ladyboy?
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #1614
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Not at the time. The sky is the limit now. She may be a he with eight dicks and a username OCTOCOCK now for all I know. I heard you're pretty in touch with that specific community. Do a little investigative research for me.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #1615
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (33)
smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
986/987's as well. The 987.2 (2009+) doesnt have the issue.

I'm biased but if you can comfortably afford a 981/997/991 I would jump on it. There really is nothing like it. Rent one on touro for a day or two and see how you like it.

The only other car really tugging at my heart strings would be an ACR viper.

The new C8 is intriguing and will probably perform very well.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #1616
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellslikecurry View Post
986/987's as well. The 987.2 (2009+) doesnt have the issue.

I'm biased but if you can comfortably afford a 981/997/991 I would jump on it. There really is nothing like it. Rent one on touro for a day or two and see how you like it.

The only other car really tugging at my heart strings would be an ACR viper.

The new C8 is intriguing and will probably perform very well.
Oh those Vipers. Damn things are already appreciating, I remember you could got one new for $85k with dealer discounts.

I keep seeing rumors of a next gen Fiat 124 based return with a Hellcat engine to get it in the $60k range.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #1617
crysis
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
crysis has a spectacular aura aboutcrysis has a spectacular aura aboutcrysis has a spectacular aura aboutcrysis has a spectacular aura aboutcrysis has a spectacular aura aboutcrysis has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the new c8 is probably the only car you should entertain at this point
Old 08-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #1618
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (33)
smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysis View Post
the new c8 is probably the only car you should entertain at this point
maybe in 3 years. first batch is going to be plagued with issues.

fun fact - c8 used porsche's pdk trans in some of their test mules.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #1619
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Fun fact: when the C8 debuts, it'll do more units than any other European competitor does both in profit margin and in units.

That car has already sold itself and with the price points available, I'd be VERY surprised if they don't sell for twice the sticker - similar to the Supra launch editions right now.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #1620
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Fun fact: when the C8 debuts, it'll do more units than any other European competitor does both in profit margin and in units.

That car has already sold itself and with the price points available, I'd be VERY surprised if they don't sell for twice the sticker - similar to the Supra launch editions right now.
On various forums I got 50 guys confirming deposits for MSRP allocation. They are going to build +30k units and dealers won't be fucking retarded like Toyota Dealers. Now when the TT DOHC Z06 hits and rumored AWD Hybrid TT DOHC ZR1.....mmmmmm ADM