Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #16201
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Really small question.. Where are people running input wire for gauges through to the engine bay? Currently I have all aftermarket wiring running through the drivers side chassis harness hole and into the bay but my new gauges will be mounted in the middle of the dash. I was thinking about running them through the defroster vent and out where the engine harness goes but idk. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #16202
240ss
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
240ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Really small question.. Where are people running input wire for gauges through to the engine bay? Currently I have all aftermarket wiring running through the drivers side chassis harness hole and into the bay but my new gauges will be mounted in the middle of the dash. I was thinking about running them through the defroster vent and out where the engine harness goes but idk. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
are you referring to the 12v ignition source?

@meadwa
240ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #16203
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Put in the most hidden location, thats the farthest from a heat source. And if however possible, make a good bracket so that it doesnt jostle or rip off easily.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #16204
EpicPorkChop

EpicPorkChop is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Camber Question

Hey, I'm new to this forum and hope I'm in the right place. Anyways, My 1996 s14 has some camber in the rear that I don't want so I'm going to get a camber kit. Iv'e done some research but I cant find weather or not I need both upper and lower camber adjustment arms or one over the other. If anyone has any information I would sure enjoy listening.

Thanks.
EpicPorkChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #16205
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPorkChop View Post
Hey, I'm new to this forum and hope I'm in the right place. Anyways, My 1996 s14 has some camber in the rear that I don't want so I'm going to get a camber kit. Iv'e done some research but I cant find weather or not I need both upper and lower camber adjustment arms or one over the other. If anyone has any information I would sure enjoy listening.

Thanks.

if your car is stock get ruca (rear upper control arm) to adjust your camber and toe rod so you have more adjustments with what camber specs youre aiming for.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #16206
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post

Yeah, you'll need a 87 relay. Closed hocked up to power off and open to power on.
maybe im missing something here but im not sure it that simple. if you look at the switch for the folding mirrors there is a neutral position where the motors are not moving the mirrors/getting 12v. if you hard wire the mirrors to the ignition wouldnt you need a way to turn off the motors once they have extended/retracted the mirrors?
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #16207
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
any one have experience with the godspeed gen2 arms, rods, etc? how are they?
juhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #16208
EpicPorkChop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
if your car is stock get ruca (rear upper control arm) to adjust your camber and toe rod so you have more adjustments with what camber specs youre aiming for.
Thanks I appreciate it
Old 03-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #16209
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240ss View Post
are you referring to the 12v ignition source?
No the input wire that comes off of the motor. I just tapped 12v from the stereo wiring
Old 03-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #16210
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPorkChop View Post

Thanks.
You mean that tiny bit of stock camber Nissan put in? If you replace your Rear Upper Control Arms, you will be able to get rid of it, but take a serious look at all the angles. The most important thing to readjust when you put in adjustable suspension is SQUAT. This is the place these cars need more adjustment than anything. If you have no clue what I am talking about, educate yourself here:

http://emeraldcoastdrifters.com/2012...r-angle-guide/

I used to have a link that gave more drawings of what squat and anti squat is and does for your car set up, but the domain was sold
Old 03-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #16211
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
I noticed this last night while driving my car. When I was stopped, whether it was on a red light or stop sign, my lights all would dim. As soon as I hit the gas the lights would light up bright. Also it felt like the car wanted to shut off sometimes while stopped.

What is causing this problem? Alternator? Need of a new battery? any suggestions thanks.
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #16212
Driftwire
Zilvia Addict

Driftwire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater9 View Post
I noticed this last night while driving my car. When I was stopped, whether it was on a red light or stop sign, my lights all would dim. As soon as I hit the gas the lights would light up bright. Also it felt like the car wanted to shut off sometimes while stopped.

What is causing this problem? Alternator? Need of a new battery? any suggestions thanks.

Multimeter to check Alternator output. Mine did this and with car running I only got 12.8 - 13.1 at the battery. Put in a diff alternator and im gettign 14.4 -14.8 at the battery now and no more power issues.

Hope you get this sorted out. Before you replace the alternator though check the outputs at the alt also in case its a wire issue.

You can PM me if you need more info on this issue or some pictures to help
Did you check the potato fuse located in the front right corner of your gas tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB33 View Post
No i haven't. To be honest i didnt know there was a fuse there. Thats not a fuse for the fuel pump is it?
Driftwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #16213
Driftwire
Zilvia Addict

Driftwire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
No the input wire that comes off of the motor. I just tapped 12v from the stereo wiring

My gauges run through the firewall drivers side, and up the side of the dash straight to behind the A pillar. Thats for my Oil Press and Boost gauge lines. Power is tapped from Radio 12v.

I can send pics of my location if needed. This is on an s13 hatch.
Did you check the potato fuse located in the front right corner of your gas tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB33 View Post
No i haven't. To be honest i didnt know there was a fuse there. Thats not a fuse for the fuel pump is it?
Driftwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #16214
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Are EDM S14 Kouki clusters plug and play with USDM chassis or are mods required? Anyone know where to source a new cluster?

edit: specifically the LHD 200sx, I think those came in MPH
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #16215
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
can you wire up 180sx kouki turn signals as position/fog lights?
juhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #16216
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Am I understanding properly, that subframe collars will decrease anti-squat, by lowering the subframe (spacing it lower than it was, in relation to the chassis)?

And, then they lower the roll center?
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #16217
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:

This can be as simple as a loose belt on the alternator or as complicated as an alternator that needs to be rebuilt. As stated, you need to take a voltage reading, or better yet, go to Autozone et al and have them do an amp check on your charging system(FREE). This will tell you if your amp is the issue(sounds like it). A voltage check with an ammeter will work ok, but will not properly diagnose amperage issues as it does not have the capacity to work with the 500+ amps you have with your battery/alternator.
What you are seeing is a slight power loss as the alternator slows from mid rev to idle. This strongly indicates an alternator issue and not a battery issue, BUT, a mostly dead battery will cause the same problems right before it dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Am I understanding properly, that subframe collars will decrease anti-squat, by lowering the subframe (spacing it lower than it was, in relation to the chassis)?

And, then they lower the roll center?
Anytime you lower any part of the chassis, you change the total squat either plus or minus(anti-squat). Squat and anti-squat are most apparent under acceleration and deceleration. This is where the suspension behavior shows exactly what the car is doing. Lowering with one single part, you might change the overall squat a minute amount as well as the overall roll center, but remember, that one part will force geometry changes everywhere else in the suspension that may or may not negate the effect of the part you are changing
Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #16218
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
Fuck that is one tight pull. I agree with codyace. That dude knows his shit and will cost to get it to be like that

Edit. Looking at the front too fuck that is a lot of work lol
To do this, you must be ready to part with more money on paint. If you do not like the scent of burning paint, you have to sand it all off. Once you have the suspension out of the way, the torch work begins with the use of dollys and hammers, bags and mallets. Heat metal, form metal, pound metal, heat metal, pound metal, form metal...then you get to sand and paint.
For four corners to be done right like this, it can take up to four months. I watched a master in San Jose named Dallas do this to my Pop's XKE E Type(1967). Each wheelwell was heated and pulled to match existing body lines, but fatter. After it was done, the huge Corvette Rally wheels fit the car nicely as it was also race stanced. With the current 18's on it, it still to this day takes someone who really knows jags to see what was done. The purists cringe when they recognize this, and the modifiers fall to their knees and weep with joy at the mad skills this job took to pull off
Old 03-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #16219
employee.of.the.month.

Trader Rating: (2)
employee.of.the.month. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do anyone have 180sx OEM chuki sideskirts for sale that I can buy? If so thatd be great thanks.
employee.of.the.month. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #16220
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
tacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:

Same exact thing happened to me several months ago when I first got my car. The S13 stock alternators are pretty shittastic. At first, I thought it was my battery, but checking it with a volt meter, it was fine. Thought it was the FL75A fuse, so i replaced it, not much improvement. Then, after my car kept dying about 5-6 times randomly at different places over the course of a couple weeks, I found out it was my alternator. I replaced it with a 1997 Nissan Quest stock alternator from Autozone. My car now idles great and the needle doesn't dip down whenever I press on my brake pedal, turn on my lights, turn on my dome light, etc.

If you have a KA and plan on keeping it for awhile, do the Nissan Quest alternator swap! Otherwise, simply replace or rebuild your alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by employee.of.the.month. View Post
Do anyone have 180sx OEM chuki sideskirts for sale that I can buy? If so thatd be great thanks.
Post here: http://zilvia.net/f/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Amateur photography by me
tacobellman_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #16221
EpicPorkChop

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
You mean that tiny bit of stock camber Nissan put in? If you replace your Rear Upper Control Arms, you will be able to get rid of it, but take a serious look at all the angles. The most important thing to readjust when you put in adjustable suspension is SQUAT. This is the place these cars need more adjustment than anything. If you have no clue what I am talking about, educate yourself here:

http://emeraldcoastdrifters.com/2012...r-angle-guide/

I used to have a link that gave more drawings of what squat and anti squat is and does for your car set up, but the domain was sold

Sorry I should've been more clear... The person before me lowered the car so low that I couldn't get over speed bumps so I raised it a bit but it still has loads of camber. And thanks for the help... I'll use this item to help me along the way.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 AM   #16222
240Z28
Zilvia Member

240Z28 is an unknown quantity at this point
If I buy an aftermarket ecu, can it be flashed for a tune?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #16223
SLUGyy

SLUGyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey everyone. First post.
I'm doing anything and everything to get ahold of a set of WORK Emotion XT7's in Matt Gray Silver in 18".
Specs as follows;
10.5 +15 rear
Then 9.5 +12ish up front
They will be going on a 5 lug swap.

But I have not found any retailer that has them in the spec I want.
Any help or assistance?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #16224
Z32Twin Turbo

Z32Twin Turbo is an unknown quantity at this point
How long do I have to be a member before I can post in the classifieds? Thanks.
Z32Twin Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #16225
Aspire818
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Aspire818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quick question i have the s14 gas leak problems (1995)
Anyways i bought a 1997 gastank it fits bt the wiring is diffrent?
Is there a way to fix this or should jst get a 1995 gastank?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #16226
Jez
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Jez is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Can I replace the fuel feed line from the fuel tank top to the hard line on my S14 without dropping the tank?
Just fitted a 255 and now the fuel line right on top of the tank is leaking.

Thanks in advance.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #16227
jameswouldgo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
jameswouldgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This may be a off topic question but I was wondering what the hell is this color? I have no clue but I want to paint my ride this color.

jameswouldgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #16228
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Started to drop the subframe the other night, should of been an easy task. Got to the part where we zipped off the last two bolts for the subframe itself anndddd nothing. We have some space starting on 3 of the studs but the right rear is tight as can be still. Smacked on it with a hammer trying to break any seal that could of formed there, but it is still stuck tight. It appears to be some solid bushings already in there (coming out regardless for SPL so i can adjust better).

All 4 wheels are off the ground and the car is on stands, so could chassis flex be the possible cause of this apparent binding? Will hopefully get to the shop tonight to tinker a little more, so any advice will be useful.

Thanks guys.
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #16229
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z28 View Post
If I buy an aftermarket ecu, can it be flashed for a tune?
It would be best to have it retuned by the same company, ie, if it's RS Enthalpy, send it back to Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUGyy View Post
Hey everyone. First post.
I'm doing anything and everything to get ahold of a set of WORK Emotion XT7's in Matt Gray Silver in 18".
Specs as follows;
10.5 +15 rear
Then 9.5 +12ish up front
They will be going on a 5 lug swap.

But I have not found any retailer that has them in the spec I want.
Any help or assistance?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You will find 9.5jx17-15 easier. Just run stretched 225's. It looks good and if you drip it all you need to do is adjust the little bit of camber out of the ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire818 View Post
Quick question i have the s14 gas leak problems (1995)
Anyways i bought a 1997 gastank it fits bt the wiring is diffrent?
Is there a way to fix this or should jst get a 1995 gastank?
just get the correct 95 stuff. For some reason, there are lots of parts that don't fit from '95's on kouki's, but 96's do...could be OBDII related too as '95 is OBDI
Old 03-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #16230
Cubantunr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Cubantunr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What color spray paint and brand will match my s13 interior black? Please help!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Cubantunr is offline   Reply With Quote