Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #1621
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
wayne, quit being a bitch with all this unnecessary talk about milspec this and that. you're not building a tank, milspec.... pshh.

step 1) go to surplus shop
step 2) buy 12 gauge wiring
step 3) purchase some quality connectors/fuse holder/heavy duty relay
step 4) install your fans PROPERLY (like they should have).

regardless of WHICH method you chose, electric or mechanical - fans need to be installed properly. if you have a mechanical fan, it needs a shroud. if you have electrical, they need proper wiring WITH fuse and relay.

END OF DISCUSSION
+1 to this. Why you are running off of the a/c switch alone is beyond me. Have the a/c switch as a signal to a relay that powers the fans. One relay per fan, fuse accordingly. Similar to what I did here...

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/346821...-c-switch.html

[85] to toggle ground.
[86] to ignition on source.
[87] to 12V fused source.
[30] to fan.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #1622
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
+1 to this. Why you are running off of the a/c switch alone is beyond me. Have the a/c switch as a signal to a relay that powers the fans. One relay per fan, fuse accordingly. Similar to what I did here...

yes... and more importantly, use good quality relays. when you put a massive load on a relay, you dont want to teeter near the relay max load rating. dual FAL fans draw shit ton of current, which is why i used (2) 30A relays, one per fan.

back in the day, i used my AC thermoswitch (190F??) to activate the relay via ground signal. only problem, i wish i had a greater selection of thermoswitches out there. i had a hard time locating them online... which is why i stuck with the OEM switch.

ideally, it would be nice to have a lower temp switch for one fan (180F), then a another switch for higher temp (190F?). I bought some variable fan speed controller that was marketed to turn the fans on gradually, but never could get that piece of shit to work properly.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #1623
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Awe mikey! <3

Quote:
+1 to this. Why you are running off of the a/c switch alone is beyond me.
LOL because you don't know how to read. I'm not running anything but the oem air conditioning off of the a/c switch.

I said the oem wiring for the a/c fans like the literal wires that are 16ga have the current of the taurus fan running through it for constant power and it heats the wire up just enough to melt the plastic shielding on the connector. A higher quality wire just needs to go in it's place, and Mike the whole reason I haven't done a thermo switch is because I don't like the fact the shit out there only kicks on at 180-190f I like the car running at 65-75c for daily driving and I run a nismo thermostat. I may change it to oem when I eventually swap out the water pump. I eventually will put the a/c shit in the car once I source a spare 97 hvac system undamaged to do my broadfield like a/n line setup with and then use that wiring to power the aftermarket condenser fans that will be on my little setup.

Everyone loves the mechanical clutch fan and I actually think it looks awesome, my swap just didn't come with one.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #1624
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
I run a griffin radiator (sold to me by Jack aka azndoc) a taurus fan (low speed only) and have a bullshit radioshack switch.

the problem is I am using the oem a/c wiring to power that fan and it draws a fuckload of amps and the oem wiring is too small and old and shitty to carry the current. So I literally need to replace everything behind the firewall with new "milspec" wire and a fatter wire that can handle the current and not get hot as fuck and melt shit (like it's currently doing)

Hence why I want to run a clutch fan. =)
I guess I should have stated what fans I was running. FAL 220(called something else now), dual 12" that pulled like 1500cfm's with the FAL thermo controller (fully adjustable). Shit would cool down fast as fuck. It would drop from 85-87ºc to 70ºc in like 20 seconds. My brother is running the same fans on his KA-T with a gt2871 at 19psi and has no cooling problems. I had it set at 85ºc, but I'm pretty sure all the way down it kicked on at like 75ºc. The FAL one is ok, but there is always the DIF controller, which supposedly is a lot better and its adjustable.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #1625
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Quote:
LOL because you don't know how to read. I'm not running anything but the oem air conditioning off of the a/c switch.

I said the oem wiring for the a/c fans like the literal wires that are 16ga have the current of the taurus fan running through it for constant power and it heats the wire up just enough to melt the plastic shielding on the connector. A higher quality wire just needs to go in it's place,
I see. You should be using 12 gauge wire definitely. The fact that its melting and you are still driving your car concerns me. Do you even have a fire extinguisher in your car? I know you did all the wiring in your car and it would be unfortunate if something happened. I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a fire extinguisher in my car, and yes my car is also a daily. After watching my friend's car go up in flames I vowed to never let that happen to me.

Be safe.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #1626
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
show us your guns
Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #1627
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
wayne..... get a fucking wire amp chart or visit a website that shows the length/amps run based on the amperage of that fan(s)

clutch fans are okay, but they fail too. i dont like them because they take up a shit ton of room. if your car sits in traffic all day and you dont want to risk reliability, clutch fan. if you want performance and ease of working on your motor, i say e-fans are the way to go. one is not necessarily better than the other.

anyway, whats all this tech talk. wayne, get back to posting sneek shots of girls
Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #1628
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Quote:
wayne..... get a fucking wire amp chart or visit a website that shows the length/amps run based on the amperage of that fan(s)

clutch fans are okay, but they fail too. i dont like them because they take up a shit ton of room. if your car sits in traffic all day and you dont want to risk reliability, clutch fan. if you want performance and ease of working on your motor, i say e-fans are the way to go. one is not necessarily better than the other.

anyway, whats all this tech talk. wayne, get back to posting sneek shots of girls
im with mike on this one.
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #1629
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

The last time I used a clutch fan was on my stock '91 w/KA. One day I took off from a light and one of the studs decides to snap in half and suddenly the fan breaks loose and has its way with my engine bay wiring. From that point forward I was all about e-fans. Been on the same set of Altima fans for 5 years now.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #1630
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Will you do the fandango? Clutch fans do suck, they get in the way of everything. Anyone that says they work better than their E fans shouldn't be allowed to work on their 240 in the first place.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #1631
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
show us your guns
ask and you shall receive.

lol
Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #1632
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Wayne doesn't need a wire amp chart or any of that shit, he just needs to pick a stopping point and let me rewire it. It's always "when I do this/that, I'll have you rewire it" lol. We've been helping his wiring limp along for a couple years now and agree it's time to put it out to pasture (read: tear it out and light it on fire, so Killer can come use that extinguisher).

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #1633
Om1kron
Post Whore!

This is where I insert a joke about getting on the fd payment plan but I don't want to call people I know out(you know about not paying). LOL But I actually like to pay for things up front before I have Jeff do them. So that's probably why nothing has been re-wired.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #1634
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Your s14 is pretty clean, despite our differences
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #1635
ixfxi
Post Whore!

wayne...................................

i dunno even what to say about that stupid ass picture of yourself, you look like gay mighty mouse.

any photoshop experts care to work that photo and take this thread to hell in a hand basket? :P
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #1636
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
i dunno even what to say about that stupid ass picture of yourself, you look like gay mighty mouse.
gay mighty mouse still get dat ass doe
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #1637
Om1kron
Post Whore!

There is nothing to be said that can't already be said. No building just more pictures and excuses and not enough low, bn, lsx, etc.

Simone : My 1996 240sx: Garage - S and some other ish.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #1638
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
wait, you are going to use door handles as hood latches?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #1639
Enna
Zilvia FREAK!

Enna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Enna Send a message via MSN to Enna
I like this idea, go on...
Enna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #1640
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
wait, you are going to use door handles as hood latches?
and then convert the car to an s13 hatchback rear...

lol lowered the car... i suck at photoshop
Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #1641
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
and then convert the car to an s13 hatchback rear...
siiiiick!

I was thinking of pulling some door handles off an Altima at the yard and using them. I like them because they would use a full car key cylinder for the lock.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #1642
Jimmy Up
Zilvia.net GB Vendor

Trader Rating: (52)
Jimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 52 reviews
Waynetedwards... Im impressed.

You work out?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #1643
Om1kron
Post Whore!

aerodynamically I don't think that would be a good look on our cars, just my opinion but I would love to see it adapted. I really would love something sick like the gt-r

R35 GT-R door handle by Augustography.com.au, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Up View Post
Waynetedwards... Im impressed.

You work out?
What a silly question Mikey....

Ah... Girl look at that body

I do, workout.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #1644
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #1645
Om1kron
Post Whore!

........................ um
Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #1646
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

I'd like to say z31 rear brake upgrade is a bit better than stock 240sx rear brakes but not as good as z32. z32 rear rotors are a bit larger in diameter and most of all they are 18mm in thickness (compared to the measly 9mm of the Altima rotor).
Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #1647
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
The simplicity of the rear altima brake rotor is why we do it. If the z32 didnt have so much bull shit we would all do it
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #1648
ixfxi
Post Whore!

z31 brakes ???

gtr door handles ???

what the fuck is going on here. leave your door handles alone and if you need brakes, i have a pair of r34 fronts sitting on my desk - come get'em.

jesus.. entry level should be z32 brakes, only the broke 20 year olds waste time with anything less.

ps: that hood looks weird, what was wrong with the previous hood?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #1649
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Car low is gonna be cool. I really think a shorter tire in the back would help tons though. Tire and LXZ fighting for the spot light.

And to offset the picture of you at the gun show in short shorts so things aren't weird.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #1650
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'd like to say
Don't say, you either know or your don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace
Thoughts: Certainly there will be those who argue that 'Z32 rears are better' just because that's what has been regurgitated 100 times on forums, but I would love to see any quantified research showing me so. This setup allows a larger rotor with the stock calipers, stock e brake, etc etc...a perfect solution for a minimalist like me. I didn't feel like dickering around with the e brake cables, and getting the hubs, and all of this nonsense....plus it's expensive for minimal(at best) gains.

This setup worked great in many ways. One, if you're replacing the stuff like I was, it's essentially a free upgrade, sans the cost of the Z31 bracket. Secondly, I use Carbotech Xp12 pads (all around)...I can lock up street tires, so how much more 'stopping power' am I realistically going to have on the street? None, this side of a R compound or a slick, which even then is a waste of time on street.

On track I did notice a bit more neutral feeling when braking, and can honestly say that all 4 grab as the exact same time, as it should. I love the way the car reacts, and it's a general good feeling.

From a rice (appearance mod) standpoint I guess it's cool as it helps fill up rear wheels, but that would have been the last reason I ever upgraded brakes (to look cool).
Unlike cody, completely doing this to look cool. =)

secondly

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14db
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuusei
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume this for the most part applies to S13s as well? And that besides increased cooling/brake fade prevention from the larger rotor, actual "bite" or stopping power is exactly the same because you're still using stock calipers?
The pedal feel and the clamping force will be the same. You have more surface area to dissipate heat but the heat transfer is the same. The big gain is the increased tq angle from moving the friction point farther away from the center of rotation.
Good enough for me!

Quote:
z31 brakes ???

gtr door handles ???

what the fuck is going on here. leave your door handles alone and if you need brakes, i have a pair of r34 fronts sitting on my desk - come get'em.
You sure you don't have a spare set of stop techs from the Porsche gods you hang out with? =P

Quote:
jesus.. entry level should be z32 brakes, only the broke 20 year olds waste time with anything less.
I'm not upgrading an s13 with clown car brakes, I already have wilwoods up front slappy, the only reason why I'm even bothering with the z31 is because I can run a slightly larger rotor in the rear for "COSMETIC" and added performance benefits but honestly cosmetic is the ONLY reason I'm doing it. I don't want heavy ass old drum brakes, I fucking hate those things, no e cable extension bracket bullshit or nonsense. Nothings wrong with my ebrake, just a bracket change, new rotors, same hawk hp pads out back. MINDLESS UPGRADE!!!

Why does everyone need to make everything so godamned complicated. lol

Quote:
ps: that hood looks weird, what was wrong with the previous hood?
Dude, you've seen my hood, shit is like 5 pressed and used puppy pads. On top of the fact it has that stupid ass gap over my headlights and one of the mounting holes are stripped, only a matter of time before it flys the fuck away.

Vented hood, dissipation of heat, no need for retarded cooling setups on a street car if engine bay heat is going bye bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
http://www.myfabulousstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/megan-good.jpg
I want to suck on her sternum.