Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #1681
Beejis60
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by headup240 View Post
Broadfield, it looks like you have your house set up really nice I can't imagine what your home theatre looks like!
He won't have a home theatre since he's american
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #1682
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpanamajack View Post
I think the Valve covers would look perfect white

*my shitty Photoshop: level 9k

You could have just cut my valve cover shots and pasted it to his bay.

Looks AMAZING Toby!
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #1683
Chester Rumble

Trader Rating: (0)
Chester Rumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejis60 View Post
He won't have a home theatre since he's american
Last time I checked, his "theatre room" had a flat screen on the wall and was surrounded by Barbie dolls and playhouses.
Chester Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #1684
Beejis60
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Rumble View Post
Last time I checked, his "theatre room" had a flat screen on the wall and was surrounded by Barbie dolls and playhouses.
No, you see, americans don't have theatres....

we have theaters though.
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #1685
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:

we have theaters though.
Don't worry, I caught on... but I can't speak for the rest of the members on here.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #1686
headup240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
headup240 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to headup240
Quote:

we have theaters though.
I should post the paper I'm writing in my American Literature class so you guys can check my spelling and grammar! Aw man my paper would be flawless!
headup240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #1687
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by headup240 View Post
I should post the paper I'm writing in my American Literature class so you guys can check my spelling and grammar! Aw man my paper would be flawless!
True story.

Anything goes, as long as it's not Toby making progress on his car lol.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #1688
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Anything goes, as long as it's not Toby making progress on his car lol.
Speaking of D-bags^^^^... I received my AiM Sports MXL Strada from this guy^^^^ Thanks Jeff!

I'm pretty excited to make another cluster for myself. This one will be the most challenging yet as the MXL doesn't exactly fit in there.

I chose the AiM Sports because they seem to be the leader in race displays, I like the clean look of it, the display is completely customizable and I can hook it up to my LS3 ECU via these 4 simple wires and it will read every sensor on there... gotta love CAN bus! I interface with CAN bus on new vehicles virtually everyday at work. It's definitely the wave-of-the-future for aftermarket integration.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #1689
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Haha glad you finally got it. The last time I mounted one of these in a car that didn't have enough height, I just put it on the steering column, real race car style lol. I think the best option would be to make a one-piece cluster/bezel that was juuuust tall enough to see the shift lights up top and hit the page buttons down below.

Remember to leave that left side accessible though, or leave the USB cable plugged in behind the dash lol.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #1690
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So I just went through all 57 pages of this thread... Great work man, can't wait to see the finished product
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #1691
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thats such an excellent gauge cluster.... I own 10 of them.

And I absolutely needed it because my car revs so quick. I could not use an analog gauge with my v10 LFA swap.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #1692
EnvyS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
EnvyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This build is all kinds of neat. Subscribed
EnvyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #1693
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
I'm interested in seeing how you fit the cluster. Should look good with your standards being so high. just seems like a big cluster.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #1694
PG BOOSTED
Zilvia Junkie

PG BOOSTED is an unknown quantity at this point
nice to be on the cover of modified
PG BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #1695
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
I'm interested in seeing how you fit the cluster. Should look good with your standards being so high. just seems like a big cluster.
Actually, I have the cluster done. I will be posting the build of it on here tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG BOOSTED View Post
nice to be on the cover of modified
To be 100% honest with you, I never even think about it. Don't get me wrong, it's cool. But I definitely don't build cars with the intention to get in a magazine. Besides, half of the cars in import magazines are garbage. Sure they look good in pics, but in person they are less than impressive. So I would never feel the need to try to purposely get in a magazine, just from the fact that it's not that big of a feat. I strictly build them for myself and generally don't take input from others.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #1696
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Wen is this car getting parted out?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #1697
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Speaking of D-bags^^^^... I received my AiM Sports MXL Strada from this guy^^^^ Thanks Jeff!

I'm pretty excited to make another cluster for myself. This one will be the most challenging yet as the MXL doesn't exactly fit in there.

I chose the AiM Sports because they seem to be the leader in race displays, I like the clean look of it, the display is completely customizable and I can hook it up to my LS3 ECU via these 4 simple wires and it will read every sensor on there... gotta love CAN bus! I interface with CAN bus on new vehicles virtually everyday at work. It's definitely the wave-of-the-future for aftermarket integration.

Damn this is nice. Is there some kind of calibrating involved wen hooking up the speed sensor so it can read correctly? Or does it read it correctly automatically?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #1698
drscooper
Zilvia Addict

drscooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpanamajack View Post
Wen is this car getting parted out?
lol sorry i giggled!
drscooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #1699
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

My cluster build is complete. Although the finished product looks very basic, there was a lot that went into keeping the simple look. So bear with me while I post a lot of build pics during the process.

The first hurdle was the size of the MXL... it's too damn tall to fit within the constraints of the cluster framework. As you can see in the photo below(don't mind the crappy cell pics in the next four images) it is about 3/8" too tall overall. The top is cut off and at the bottom the buttons are smashed into the lower lip of the framework. Note: the framework has obviously already been modified to the specs of my standard clusters I make.

I knew that I wanted to keep the front edge of the framework as is because I need the OEM cluster surround to butt up in front of it so it fits like stock. So essentially I need the front lower edge to stay put, but the back lower edge that butts up against the plate needs to drop down 3/8". First I slit the bottom ledge at each corner just inside the lower mounting points:

I then twisted the lower ledge down to gain the needed 3/8":

Backside shot:

I used a piece of aluminum rod to keep the bent down section in place while I glued it up with some Norton Speed Grip:

I also filled in the small area that was now exposed because of the bent down section. It's hard to tell because the glue is also black, but it's filled in next to the slivers of white plastic:

The 2nd hurdle was to reshape the contour in the lower corners. I obviously couldn't leave that break in the plastic there. So I filled the entire backside corners in with the same Norton Speed Grip:

Now when I grind the corner, there is solid material there to give me my shape. Here is after grinding it with a sanding drum. The black area around the white plastic that is shaped line a "L" is the actual hardened Norton Speed Grip:

Also had to grind down the backside level to the framework so my plate would butt up against it flush:

Front view of the new lower corner contour:

Framework textured and completed:

3rd hurdle is the fact that the buttons on the MXL are on a recessed area. Which means flushing it in a flat plate isn't going to work out too well... or not look finished anyway. So I came up with the idea of just covering that entire recessed section and only flushing the screen area itself. This would really frame the unit nicely since the bottom edge of the screen is flat and so is the bottom ledge of the cluster framework. So I went ahead and cut a plate out of 1/4" ABS to fit inside of the cluster framework. Once the plate fit properly and dropped in from the backside, I cut out the opening for the MXL so it would flush in the plate.

Only obvious problem are the buttons... how the hell am I going to get to them now that they are covered by the plate!?! First thought was too relocate them to a completely different spot in the car. I was close to doing this, but thought to myself that this is what any typical installer with my skills would do. So I wanted to do something different, equally as cool, but keep a nice clean look to it. I decided to keep the buttons right where they are, but extend them out through the 1/4" ABS plate. To do this I needed to make new buttons, that when pressed, would depress the rubber buttons below them.

First thing was to drill out the holes for the new buttons exactly above the MXL buttons. Since I already had the opening perfectly cut for the display section of the MXL, I disassembled the MXL down to the raw metal front fascia. I then popped it in place on the plate and simply used the button holes in the metal fascia to guide my drill bit through the plastic from the backside. So this is what the plate looks like at this point:

MXL pressure fit in place. You can see the rubber buttons perfectly lined up under the holes in the ABS:

A real quick peak of the panel in place... although the shadow of the framework makes it hard to see the button locations in this picture:

Fitment of panel from the back:

The back of the OEM cluster housing completely gutted with the three mounting locations still intact:

Closeup of the buttons that need to be integrated to my panel:

I also needed to put some turn signal indicators in the cluster. I thought it would look stupid if they were just floating around anywhere on the outskirts of the plate around the MXL display. So lucky for me, the shape of the MXL allowed me to install them in the dead space where the designers of the MXL intended for a steering column to reside. Also, the size of the indicators that I use are really close to the diameter of the holes I drilled for the MXL buttons. So I dropped the indicators in between the buttons:

Next is making the button extensions. There were several criteria that they needed to meet in order for this to work:
  • The buttons need to fit snug in the panel, but still be able to actuate smoothly.
  • The buttons need to be made out of hard material to give them a solid feel.
  • They need to have a "catch" on the backside so they wouldn't simply fall though the front of the plate over bumps etc.
  • They need to be made out of a material that was easy to cut. They were only going to be 5/16" tall, so cutting something that small out of metal was going to be difficult without metal working tools

So I chose to use some plastic 5/16" rod. More specifically, I chose to use self-lubricating MDS-filled nylon. It's a natural black in color, very slick on the exterior and cuts really easy.... and it's only like $.63 for a foot of it. My plan for the back-end catch was simply gluing on small washers to the back of the pieces of nylon rod:

In order for the catch to work, I had to countersink the button assembly into the back of the plate. The drill press came in hand for this to get the proper depth and the centering exact:

Washer and button test fit before I glue them together:

A good pic of how the extensions look:

After I confirmed fitment was good, I went ahead and glued the buttons to the washers. Some good super glue and accelerator made this an easy task. I then turned the button extensions over and filled in the center of the washer with super glue to make it a level surface on the back of the button. I then sanded that down so it was perfectly level with the washer:

Even though the ABS is textured, I don't like the finish of it. So I sanded the main plate down and applied my texture coat to it. Everything reassembled... just waiting on the turn signal indicators to come in at this point:

Indicators in place and finished. I will not be running front glass on this cluster for obvious reasons. I really like the end result in the fact that no one will have any idea of the modifications that were necessary to squeeze the MXL into the constraints of the OEM cluster:

Backside:

Illuminated:

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds

Last edited by Broadfield; 10-23-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #1700
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^^how many hours did you have into making this if you don't mind me asking?.. It looks awesome!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #1701
SaNTi
Zilvia Addict

SaNTi is an unknown quantity at this point
That cluster needs more fatlace stickers, and a big "Holy shit shift" light.
SaNTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #1702
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
^^how many hours did you have into making this if you don't mind me asking?.. It looks awesome!
I'm not really sure how long it took me paco. I worked on it about 8 different sessions with various amounts of time each session. If I were to guess, probably 6-8 hours.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #1703
PG BOOSTED
Zilvia Junkie

PG BOOSTED is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

To be 100% honest with you, I never even think about it. Don't get me wrong, it's cool. But I definitely don't build cars with the intention to get in a magazine. Besides, half of the cars in import magazines are garbage. Sure they look good in pics, but in person they are less than impressive. So I would never feel the need to try to purposely get in a magazine, just from the fact that it's not that big of a feat. I strictly build them for myself and generally don't take input from others.
Ohh i figured that but im saying just to think about it.
PG BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #1704
drscooper
Zilvia Addict

drscooper is an unknown quantity at this point
very nice man! simple and clean!
drscooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #1705
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice write up Toby!, that's one of the biggest things that make you stand apart from the other great builds out there (not just on Zilvia)... your always willing to give back to the community by showing what it takes to do these things.

I always learn more about finishing trim pieces every time you post. Which comes in handy when you have to refinish every piece in your car haha
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #1706
georgegto

georgegto is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice but it looks almost empty
What abou the oil temp? Do u have to add an extra sensor since u are using the sikky oil pan?
georgegto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #1707
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

I really dig it. The installs we've done always look like "hey, here's my baller cluster sitting on top of a panel" unless we use the molded carbon piece, but that doesn't really fit in S13's.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #1708
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Do you plan on labeling the buttons or something so you know the function of each one?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #1709
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Do you plan on labeling the buttons or something so you know the function of each one?
I'm pretty sure I can remember the function of 4 measly buttons. Besides, labeling them would look total cheese-ball.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #1710
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Besides, labeling them would look total cheese-ball.
... only if you're doing it wrong. Get creative! (Matt Powers' switch panel, 'Deal' = ignition, 'With' = fuel, "It" = starter)

Previous car had "The" "Final" "Countdown!". I did Mike Porter's FC with a bunch of Street Fighter tags (Hadooken, Sonic Boom, etc), that was good for some lolz. Other cars just get various names for 'dicks', or random girls names. Clearly I take Mil-spec labeling very seriously. Hilarity!