Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #1681
Baxter

Trader Rating: (0)
Baxter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedGlory View Post
I too am thinking about getting a welder. Right now I'm looking at the Miller Diversion 165. I don't know (or maybe care) if it is dumb to jump straight into TIG welding first, but I mainly want to be able to do aluminum, etc.
Personally I would hold off on getting the diversion. It's not too hard to find good deals on ebay for a dynasty 200dx. you can find them for just over $2000 with relatively few amount of strikes and it is a hell of a lot more welder than the diversion 165. In the long run you'll probably be kicking yourself for not spending more on the dynasty up front. An added plus is that the dynasty is even smaller than the diversion so if you want something easily portable it only gets better.
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #1682
240sxaddict
Leaky Injector

240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakts13 View Post
huh, for some reason they looked larger, maybe it's the black on the interior or somethin? regular dom or chromoly?
1 5/8" x 0.120wall DOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Didn't want to run the rear down bars back to the strut towers? Most S14 cages connect the strut towers with a cross-bar, and have the rear down bars cross and connect to that... gives you quite a bit less angle - how close to 45* are those down bars?
Nope, the only way I'll weld a cage to the strut towers is If I reinforce the whole thing. I do not trust strut towers at all. And the lopsided design and placement of the gastank makes this a pain in the ass. The down bars on this car hit a solid peice of floor with a frame rail behind it. I forget the angle but it's not bad at all.
240sxaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #1683
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
not dumb at all. go for it! diversion is a great bang for the buck welder!
x2 I also want to get the 165, its really a really nice machine!

Also added some pieces of steel to the stock bushing housing, tapped them so I can add grease fittings. Also threw a weld on the bushing housing to keep them still.

Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #1684
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
BlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Personally I would hold off on getting the diversion. It's not too hard to find good deals on ebay for a dynasty 200dx. you can find them for just over $2000 with relatively few amount of strikes and it is a hell of a lot more welder than the diversion 165. In the long run you'll probably be kicking yourself for not spending more on the dynasty up front. An added plus is that the dynasty is even smaller than the diversion so if you want something easily portable it only gets better.
Ok; I've also started looking at the Synchrowave 200 as well... I'm not worried about portability at all. Any thoughts?
BlazedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #1685
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedGlory View Post
Ok; I've also started looking at the Synchrowave 200 as well... I'm not worried about portability at all. Any thoughts?
I have a Dynasty 200. It is an amazing machine! I can say I will never outgrow this unit.
The Syncrowave is very simular to the Dynasty in features, but in a transformer machine. The Dynasty is about $1300.00 more than Syncrowave, and if portability is not an issue then the Syncrowave may be right for you.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #1686
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Jonnie is right. He brought his Dynasty 200 down to my shop one day. He had it all setup in about 5 minutes.

I was blown away with how much better it welds than my lincoln precision tig 185.
I want to get one some day if I have the money.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #1687
JDworkz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
JDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
PIPE BENDER FROM ......GOTTRIKES.COM

JDworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #1688
cazman

cazman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to cazman
what do people think of using these kind of benders for roll cages?
cazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #1689
steve_o1989
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
steve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You might have trouble bending tubing with that. The unit you posted is a Pipe bender, and pipe is measured in I.D. where as tubing (which is what you want to use) is measured in O.D. So, the dies for the pipe bender, do not exactly match the size of the tubing, and you will end up with kinked bends most of the time.

There are some tricks to avoiding this though, such as filling the tubing with sand first.

You would be better off building a tubing bender like the one JDworkz made.
1992 Talon Tsi - Sold
steve_o1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #1690
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i've used that kind of bender for cages

it will definately bend the tubes but whether or not it kinks depends on wall thickness.

for example:
1-5/8" x .120" didn't kink
1-5/8" x .095" kinked

but you ALWAYS get dents on the outside edge of the bend, where the holder pin things hold it

and it also doesn't have a degree wheel, so you always have to guess and check for the right angle

i wouldn't recommend it for building a serious cage, but one for just lapping days would probably be okay.
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:31 AM   #1691
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Today Duffm4n called me up after installing a header on his old skool Corolla and having a nasty piping problem - the header didn't even come close to the cat flange - and needed a fix to get home. Naturally, I helped him out

Problem was, the angles were totally off, the header was positioned too far away from the frame rail, and pointing inward, while the cat flange hugs the frame rail, and points outward lol.

The Corolla on stands, ready to 'do work':

Fast forward hours later - I had some extra flanges and 2.5" pipe so I made some pie cuts and started fitting them in there - this is what I ended up with, super fitment!

... well, not so super - I tacked it together (seeing only the driver's side) and realized I left some HUGE gaps on the inside - luckily I'm a mack at filling gaps w/wire feed (had to cut a filler piece for the huge gap though):

Flash makes the welds look super nasty, some parts were perfect, most were 7/10ish

Finished product, ground down for baller-ness:

And it fits really well!! ... and all hardware is accessible:

Then we grabbed Camilleon and got her to take her 510 and the 'rolla out together

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 AM   #1692
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
cool stuff, that corolla Eddie has was a real smog death trap lol
Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #1693
DUFFM4N
Post Whore!

Location: Southern California...where i stretch out haters like a bad thong
Trader Rating: (40)
DUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DUFFM4N Send a message via Yahoo to DUFFM4N
thanks again for the help jeff...even though i dug your grave a little deeper with your girlfriend by just showing up lol

things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who HUSTLE

CLICK HERE FOR MY BLOG
DUFFM4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #1694
JDworkz
Zilvia Junkie

JDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura aboutJDworkz has a spectacular aura about

Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #1695
forum04pl
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
forum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond reputeforum04pl has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to forum04pl
^ why didn't you hug the cage closer to the a pillar and go through the dash?
forum04pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #1696
4sfed180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
4sfed180 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4sfed180
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum04pl View Post
i was gonna say the same thing. good luck removing the dash any time soon

you could have hugged the A-pillars and tied into them too. this makes it look like a show cage unfortunately.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #1697
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
^^^ If I was a pro fabricator, and someone brought me a car for a cage, and I told them "you should pull out the dash, so I can design it better, and it'll look better", and they didn't... I'd probably just do it like that too. Sucks, cause it gets in the way of everything (makes it harder to get in/out, impossible to take the dash out, etc).

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 04-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #1698
fakts13
Zilvia Member

fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sfed180 View Post

you could have hugged the A-pillars and tied into them too. this makes it look like a show cage unfortunately.
i think this is more of a show car anyways since the car is a converted RHD. there's no reason to do that on a perfectly good chassis on a track car.

GSXRJJordan: look at the other post by JDworkz it shows the dash being out.
fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #1699
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
I like your tube bender you made jdworkz. Never seen a cage built like that in front of the dash, none the less great work. I recently welded in a cage for an integra, need to take pics of it and post it. The cage i welded in it is a swing out version. so basically a hoop with two back bars, 4point, then the two front bars can be removed or put in to make a 6point.

Got done with this recently last week. Its a oil catch can/breather tank. I didnt design it, just welded it. Apparently the guy was having problems with his previous catch can spewing out oil while racing (road coarse car), so this one was made.

Pictures of it after welded (nonpolished)

Pictures of it installed in the car (polished), i didnt polish it, the shop owner did.

Underneath picture

Few shots of the engine bay

Lastly a few shots of the car

DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #1700
JDworkz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum04pl View Post
this was my first time building a cage. i had to figure out which way i should bend the tubing and the degrees. it was too late after i made the last bend. i found out that the left a-pillars tubing fits perfect on the right side a-pillar and vise versa. i will remember this for my next cage that i build. plus i didn't want to scrap the tubing, so i just kept it. its really not that bad. i will just put a metal plate there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sfed180 View Post

i figure that i wont have to remove the dash. i thought about that. thats why i put all the heater core, a/c components, and wiring back in before i welded the cage. even if you drill holes in the dash, you still have trouble getting the dash out. unless you make major cuts in the dash or have a removable cage. mine is welded to the frame

yeah....your right. first time building it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
^^^ If I was a pro fabricator, and someone brought me a car for a cage, and I told them "you should pull out the dash, so I can design it better, and it'll look better", and they didn't... I'd probably just do it like that too. Sucks, cause it gets in the way of everything (makes it harder to get in/out, impossible to take the dash out, etc).
I would have drilled holes in the dash if i didn't want to have a/c, heater, or glove box

Quote:
i think this is more of a show car anyways since the car is a converted RHD. there's no reason to do that on a perfectly good chassis on a track car.

well.....this car is going to be my DD, track, and show car for now until i get a new DD and i will go full track with it.

GSXRJJordan: look at the other post by JDworkz it shows the dash being out.
yup your right before i welded the cage to the frame.

[quote=DisEpyon;2776697]I like your tube bender you made jdworkz. Never seen a cage built like that in front of the dash, none the less great work. I recently welded in a cage for an integra, need to take pics of it and post it. The cage i welded in it is a swing out version. so basically a hoop with two back bars, 4point, then the two front bars can be removed or put in to make a 6point.

Got done with this recently last week. Its a oil catch can/breather tank. I didnt design it, just welded it. Apparently the guy was having problems with his previous catch can spewing out oil while racing (road coarse car), so this one was made.

Thanks......love your work too. I would love to see the cage you built with the swing arm.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #1701
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Here are a couple things I've built at work

I know the aluminum welds look like ass but I can't seem to conquer this "Vibrant" aluminum BS. Everything else turns out wicked. Just this Vibrant stuff is crap....
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #1702
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Oh and here's what some flux core looks like with gas... 220v

Not total ass, just messy
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #1703
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Wow not bad.

How was the penetration?

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #1704
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Those are some awesome projects Atutt, and great work, of course

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #1705
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Alright well I had to help finish the car at school and I finished by welding up the brackets for the shock mounts.

Some spots were tricky. I had to end up getting someone to push the pedal for me on the TIG lol

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #1706
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Here was my "fun" project for the day.

We obtained a ex factory BMW ALMS car carbon intake manifold.

My job was to make it all fit. I won't go into what I had to do, but it was a huge pain in the ass.

This is on our shop E46 m3

Andrew also fabricated all the stickers for my new car.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #1707
4sfed180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
4sfed180 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4sfed180
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
Here are a couple things I've built at work
just remember. you want the heat exchanger inlets and outlets to be smaller in area then the heat exchanger itself. simple fluids problem

do this:

inlet

/ \
[ ]
\ /
outlet

not this:

| |
[ ]
| |

or this:

\ /
[ ]
/ \

looks good though.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #1708
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Here was my "fun" project for the day.

We obtained a ex factory BMW ALMS car carbon intake manifold.

My job was to make it all fit. I won't go into what I had to do, but it was a huge pain in the ass.

This is on our shop E46 m3

Andrew also fabricated all the stickers for my new car.

That is awesome!! There must be like 30 liters of capacity in that thing.

Last edited by driftstyre; 05-03-2009 at 05:55 AM..
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #1709
fakts13
Zilvia Member

fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
^^ well if that's an ITB setup it won't make as much difference as you think seeing as how it isn't a plenum but more like a reserve tank
fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #1710
bungl3

bungl3 is making a name for him/her selfbungl3 is making a name for him/her self
never heard of something m-power designed being called retarded before.....

they really know what theyre doing with n/a
bungl3 is offline   Reply With Quote