Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #17191
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just started overheating today.

How do I tell if it's my water pump or thermostat?

I have a duralast thermostat - I replaced it when the last one failed open - they're designed to fail open, but how often do they jam closed instead?

222k on the clock, original pump I believe.

Should I go ahead and replace the pump? I'd boil the thermostat, but I don't have RTV, and without a car, getting to the auto parts store is a bit more of a chore... what's the odds that it's either?

It doesn't overheat immediately, it sort of wants to pretend that the gauge will stay at half, but then starts going up again. It wouldn't make it more than a few miles, even while moving. The radiator's absolutely taking hot water and holding pressure. VERY hot water, and a LOT of pressure....

Do you start overheating before your pump's really spraying coolant? And will it hold pressure while the pump's weeping? It feels like this should be the thermostat, but it's only 2 years old...

Last edited by mechanicalmoron; 09-08-2014 at 09:10 PM..
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #17192
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Does anyone know what the size of the second bung (not the drain plug) on the Greddy oil Pan??

Mine is leaking and I am looking for a proper plug for it!

Thanks!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #17193
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Small Questions Thread (SEARCH FIRST! Use this instead of making NEW threads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
I just started overheating today.

How do I tell if it's my water pump or thermostat?

I have a duralast thermostat - I replaced it when the last one failed open - they're designed to fail open, but how often do they jam closed instead?

222k on the clock, original pump I believe.

Should I go ahead and replace the pump? I'd boil the thermostat, but I don't have RTV, and without a car, getting to the auto parts store is a bit more of a chore... what's the odds that it's either?

It doesn't overheat immediately, it sort of wants to pretend that the gauge will stay at half, but then starts going up again. It wouldn't make it more than a few miles, even while moving. The radiator's absolutely taking hot water and holding pressure. VERY hot water, and a LOT of pressure....

Do you start overheating before your pump's really spraying coolant? And will it hold pressure while the pump's weeping? It feels like this should be the thermostat, but it's only 2 years old...
Sounds like the pump if you are getting hot water in the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Does anyone know what the size of the second bung (not the drain plug) on the Greddy oil Pan??

Mine is leaking and I am looking for a proper plug for it!

Thanks!
The little one for a temp sensor? 1/4BSPT

Sent from my iFad using Crapatalk
Old 09-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #17194
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Sounds like the pump if you are getting hot water in the radiator.

The little one for a temp sensor? 1/4BSPT

Sent from my iFad using Crapatalk
The radiator was hot as hell (throwing water on the radiator would boil it instantly and violently), but it will flow a LITTLE all the time, right? I mean it's always in the same circuit.

Once it cooled down I took a look under the cap. There was no visible flow (you know how if you rev while changing coolant, you'll see it gush to the right - nothing like that, at all). Will a pump fail with no external sign or noise, and move NO water?
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #17195
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
I have a couple new issues with my Redtop SR20det. Completely stock injectors/maf/ecu etc. Only mods are 3" exhaust and fmic

Out of no where it just recently began running super rich. Car smells like gas 24/7. AEM wideband is reading 10.0 at WOT and mid 12s cruising. It also feels pretty slow. Fuel pressure is around 45-50psi cruising at 60psi WOT. I have no idea what would cause this? I'm starting to get like 260-280 miles to a tank with a lot of highway driving.

Second issue came about a few days before. My oil pressure is higher than normal. At 3K RPM and up my gauge stays at 100psi+. Idle is around 45 psi, and cruising around 2K RPM puts me around 60-80psi. I run Mobil 1 full syn 10w-30 oil. I'm a little over 3k miles on the rebuild. It rodknocked and I had the crank machined, and did new main and rod bearings. I'm a little under 3k miles on this oil change so hopefully this problem will go away after that. But I'd appreciate any help on this
Old 09-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #17196
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by David48 View Post
I have a couple new issues with my Redtop SR20det. Completely stock injectors/maf/ecu etc. Only mods are 3" exhaust and fmic

Out of no where it just recently began running super rich. Car smells like gas 24/7. AEM wideband is reading 10.0 at WOT and mid 12s cruising. It also feels pretty slow. Fuel pressure is around 45-50psi cruising at 60psi WOT. I have no idea what would cause this? I'm starting to get like 260-280 miles to a tank with a lot of highway driving.
dirty MAF or boost leak... if you leak boost past the turbo you run rich. if your MAF is dirty it can do all sorts of stupid shit to the ECU. get some B12 and Qtips out, clean your MAF something fierce. check ALL of your couplers and tbolt clamps, most people cheap out and use crappy thin couplers and cheapy tbolt clamps... if this is the case in your car, i highly recommend upgrading to a trusted brand like HPS. i changed out ALL of my tbolt clamps and couples a few years back, helped SOOOOOOOO much!

also a dirty air filter can cause stupid shit to happen as well, if youre running an autozone brand... ditch it and buy a K&N Air Filter

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #17197
David48
Zilvia Addict

I just remembered that I very lightly bumped into a parking block and it got much worse after that. My guess is shitty couplers on the fmic. I'm more worried about the oil pressure now. I've been searching and can't find anything on why it would happen.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #17198
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
The radiator was hot as hell (throwing water on the radiator would boil it instantly and violently), but it will flow a LITTLE all the time, right? I mean it's always in the same circuit.

Once it cooled down I took a look under the cap. There was no visible flow (you know how if you rev while changing coolant, you'll see it gush to the right - nothing like that, at all). Will a pump fail with no external sign or noise, and move NO water?
It's quite easy for a pump blades to rot away with improper coolant.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #17199
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is a question about "if I should get it".

I've witnessed one of the most horrible mechanical car in my life, and by that I mean the engine was completely insane. Let me explain, I went to go see a car at a dealership (two tone coupe). So I look at the engine and what I see is one of the worst hack jobs ever. They used a bag to cover the a/c hose, they had a bottle of sprite holding it up as the air filter. They had those white tubes they use for pools as the air intake.

Completely "ghetto", that engine bay was hacked to the max. Yet, the car turned on and ran!! I have no idea how they did that but I was amazed and sad at the same time. The poor two tone was just sitting looking like shit. On the plus side it has mint interior, dash is not cracked, and overall the body is mint. Also has factory 5 speed.

Anyways I was wondering if you guys would buy it. Although the car runs, the engine is a complete hack job. He's looking for $1800, I already dropped the price, he originally wanted $2300 which I laughed at. Let me know if you guys would even consider this car, thanks
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #17200
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=169993
^^^ i wanna do this to my setup but use the kouki oem turn signals as both instead. will the same parts and procedure be the same? minus the position lights tho. thanks
juhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #17201
David48
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater9 View Post

I've witnessed one of the most horrible mechanical car in my life, and by that I mean the engine was completely insane. Let me explain, I went to go see a car at a dealership (two tone coupe). So I look at the engine and what I see is one of the worst hack jobs ever. They used a bag to cover the a/c hose, they had a bottle of sprite holding it up as the air filter. They had those white tubes they use for pools as the air intake.

Completely "ghetto", that engine bay was hacked to the max. Yet, the car turned on and ran!! I have no idea how they did that but I was amazed and sad at the same time. The poor two tone was just sitting looking like shit. On the plus side it has mint interior, dash is not cracked, and overall the body is mint. Also has factory 5 speed.

Anyways I was wondering if you guys would buy it. Although the car runs, the engine is a complete hack job. He's looking for $1800, I already dropped the price, he originally wanted $2300 which I laughed at. Let me know if you guys would even consider this car, thanks
Where's this at? If it's close by me I'll check it out. I don't have anywhere near that much so you don't have to worry about me buying it from under you haha
Old 09-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #17202
David48
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

Second issue came about a few days before. My oil pressure is higher than normal. At 3K RPM and up my gauge stays at 100psi+. Idle is around 45 psi, and cruising around 2K RPM puts me around 60-80psi. I run Mobil 1 full syn 10w-30 oil. I'm a little over 3k miles on the rebuild. It rodknocked and I had the crank machined, and did new main and rod bearings. I'm a little under 3k miles on this oil change so hopefully this problem will go away after that. But I'd appreciate any help on this
Turns out my AFR issue was a ripped coupler. Gonna change the oil and filter tomorrow so hopefully the oil psi issue will be solved
Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #17203
lamgee

lamgee is an unknown quantity at this point
good place to get rb25det?
lamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #17204
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:

I would jump on it for $1500 based totally on all the 'waddafuk' issues. You KNOW the former owner was ghetto as hell when doing anything with the car so even daily/monthly maintenance can be questioned as to the car just coming to a dead stop on the way home

Edit, PLEASE post some pics of this shit!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #17205
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Where's this at? If it's close by me I'll check it out. I don't have anywhere near that much so you don't have to worry about me buying it from under you haha
David, it's in Tampa. I live in Lakeland and decided to check the car out. The address of the dealership is 7102 N Florida Ave. David just be prepared with a camera, please lol. Also if you go today can you verify that it's a sprite bottle? Because it sure looked like one to me.

@Redline I wish I was prepared! I wanted to take a picture it's just my phone died minutes before looking at the car.

Though I told him I will be back Saturday, apparently some other guy offered him $2000 for it, so yeah. I'll keep you guys updated and hopefully David has a chance today.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #17206
David48
Zilvia Addict

Oh I think I saw it posted somewhere. Black bumper? I'll try to check it out today. I'll also low ball the shit out of him and point out everything wrong with it. Maybe he'll be more willing to deal when you go by
Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #17207
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Oh I think I saw it posted somewhere. Black bumper? I'll try to check it out today. I'll also low ball the shit out of him and point out everything wrong with it. Maybe he'll be more willing to deal when you go by
Yup, by the way that black bumper is type X. I'm guessing its fiberglass though.

Sounds good man. Take pictures if you can so you can show Redline.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #17208
Bwheelest

Bwheelest is an unknown quantity at this point
i am looking for a place that does roll cages in SOCAL. i have a RHD 180sx with an ls swap and its time to get it caged. can anyone help me out and tell me where there is a close shop that will do a roll cage?... thanks
Bwheelest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #17209
dave123thomas
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
dave123thomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What exactly is this under the dash. It makes a weird noise the whole time ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410539592.473140.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dave123thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #17210
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Yup, by the way that black bumper is type X. I'm guessing its fiberglass though.

Sounds good man. Take pictures if you can so you can show Redline.
Hey, didn't HIPHOPHIPPO totally DIY his hatch. He's FROM THAT Area. Ya'all don't think he got tired and sold it do ya?

Look under the valve cover for a ghetto repair on a lifter, that'll be the 'tell'

HVAC intake, sprite bottle catch, man, I gotta see this! I mean really, fab is kinda easy for lots of stuff, anyone who asks can get help building stuff from lips to intake to exhaust and have it look good if they just ask someone who knows what they are doing
Old 09-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #17211
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Hey, didn't HIPHOPHIPPO totally DIY his hatch. He's FROM THAT Area. Ya'all don't think he got tired and sold it do ya?

Look under the valve cover for a ghetto repair on a lifter, that'll be the 'tell'

HVAC intake, sprite bottle catch, man, I gotta see this! I mean really, fab is kinda easy for lots of stuff, anyone who asks can get help building stuff from lips to intake to exhaust and have it look good if they just ask someone who knows what they are doing
Yeah I know when I saw it I was shocked. I'm pretty sure it has other things but I forgot.

I got him to go down to $1600. He told me since it's a dealer I was going to have to pay for taxes and title so the price rose to $1787. Sounds like a good deal?
Old 09-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #17212
David48
Zilvia Addict

Dang I was gonna check it out but didn't have any time. If you're crazy about a two tone then yeah that's a good price. They're getting really hard to find and the body is pretty straight from the pictures I've seen. It's nothing a motor swap can't fix
Old 09-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #17213
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwheelest View Post
i am looking for a place that does roll cages in SOCAL. i have a RHD 180sx with an ls swap and its time to get it caged. can anyone help me out and tell me where there is a close shop that will do a roll cage?... thanks
Theres Powered by Max down in Escondido and Street Faction in Long Beach
juhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #17214
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Really fucking dumb question. When an s13 rear bash bar with jacking point is installed...do you need to remove the bumper to get to the jacking point? Or can it be reached with the bumper still on
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #17215
2slow2go
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Can someone identify these brakes for me? What US car can I buy rotors to fit these brakes to install into my s13?

Thanksuploadfromtaptalk1410660569826.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410660585404.jpg
2slow2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #17216
Judeasaurus

Judeasaurus is a well-known jackass
180sx Bumper Components help

So I recently bought a 180sx bumper for my chuki s13 and I want to know what components to get.

So far I purchased:
-180sx Bumper Extensions
-180sx Bumper Extension Brackets
-Bumper Upper Retainer

Now I am wondering if I need the Stiffners, spacers, upper bracket, side retainer, reinforcement, and absorber.

Thanks~
Judeasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #17217
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Buying the two tone, going to be posting up pictures tomorrow!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #17218
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Having the weirdest problem.

So I'm driving my 240sx and I decide to roll the window down, I hit the switch and the car just starts to slow down. When I release it, everything is good again.

Anyone has/had a similar issue?
Old 09-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #17219
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
StuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Aftermarket Tie Rods

I'm trying to upgrade my tie rods and ends and was interested in the SPL outer tie rod ends. It says to pair them with OEM Z32 inner tie rods or Z33 Tein inner tie rods.

What I'm confused about is do I only need to buy the Z33 inners and no outers? And will it all fit like stock on my base model S14's stock knuckles?

Also, the Tein Inner/Outer Tie Rod package may be a possibility for me but what tie rod ends do I use with them?
StuckeyOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #17220
silviaGuyLBC

silviaGuyLBC is an unknown quantity at this point
s14 s14 helpppp

rubbed through some of my wires driverside last time i went sliding. fixed um now car wont hold charge, alternator stil works . Happend shortly after my gauge cluster went out, have lights but no tacs, any ideas ??
silviaGuyLBC is offline   Reply With Quote