Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #151
JDM SPUG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JDM SPUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
very nice. I was thinking about doing an LS3. but opted for a 2JZ instead
JDM SPUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #152
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost infested View Post
so the tranny hangs lower than the front cross member?
Yes, if you look at the shot of the engine and trans you can see my aftermarket bellhousing and the way its shaped means it produces beneath the crossmember. I figure that problem doesnt happen if you are using a stock T56 bellhousing.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #153
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
I have been missing this !!!! seems the end is a few moments away..
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #154
onequartlow

Trader Rating: (0)
onequartlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow....all I can say. Mad props on the build.
onequartlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #155
chwks13
Leaky Injector

chwks13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sick build man! Love it
chwks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #156
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Pstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the rough
Well the car just got back from a cut and buff at the paint shop. Shit is so clean and reflective that I dont think I want to drive it ever. I should seal this car up right now and crack it open in 20 years....mmm nope.

Ill get some better photos tomorrow. Here's one from the phone.

Oh and I need some trim parts!! Painter lost some of my shit!
http://zilvia.net/f/wanted-buy/40293...look-here.html
Old 08-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #157
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Wow, I'm glad I took all my parts home when I took my trim/interior apart at Donlyson lol.

Can't wait to see this paint! Car is sexy as f*ck with those wheels and that motor!

... just needs a cam

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #158
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Stoked to see more- looking good!

It might be worth shooting Toby a PM- I think he has a spare S13 shell he is trying to get rid of. Maybe he would be willing to part with some of those items- not positive, though.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #159
Matthew Murphy
Leaky Injector

Matthew Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point
a cam sounds fun haha. But bad ass job on the swap, can we see paint now?
Matthew Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #160
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I had seen this build in the latest issue of Modified...It's going to be a treat to people who are not a part of Zilvia...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #161
cole shoes
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
cole shoes is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
so awesome.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #162
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

I dont have any pictures to share right now since Im dog tired from working all day but here's a little video of what's to come.

LS3 running - YouTube
Old 08-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #163
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Sweet!!! Congrats man- sounds gnarly!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #164
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Sounds raw!
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #165
s13_rb25
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
s13_rb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
good stuff! i have z32 rear 5 lug hubs if your still running those ichibas
s13_rb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #166
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstl_pete View Post
I dont have any pictures to share right now since Im dog tired from working all day but here's a little video of what's to come.

LS3 running - YouTube
I'd like to thank my Mom, my family, and of course the Academy, for the gracious awards you've all placed on me for my performance behind the wheel in that fine film.

Glad we got everything sorted today Pete! Nothing about this car is individually super crazy, I mean LSx 240's or clean black hatches aren't 1 in 1,000,000... but the overall impression of the car is more than the sum of it's parts. This car is fucking sweet, for the type of person that chooses an gunmetal Aston Martin over a yellow Lambo. Understated, but extremely well-executed, and owned/built by a true automotive enthusiast.

I had a great time working on it.

Oh, and guys, look forward to my FD being featured in an upcoming issue of Modified lol. Feel free to use my copy above in the magazine.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 08-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #167
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Nice. Hopefully I can join the ls3 s13 list sometime soon too
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #168
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murphy View Post
a cam sounds fun haha. But bad ass job on the swap, can we see paint now?
Not when you need to pull the motor again to install it. Wonder how I missed this thread! Tell Nate I said hi =)
Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #169
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

I took this vid today, first drive! Sounded great for no o2's or exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIRIFgNvbAk

Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #170
NewS13Guy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
NewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Very nice!!!! (said in my borat voice)
NewS13Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #171
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

About 4 days ago the car came back from the painter looking really good. Almost too good. I dont even want to touch it since the shine it as perfect as it will get.

The engine bay was coming together really well. Not much was left to do. Just some wiring and small odds and ends.

I got hooked up large with some Amsoil products, including the break in oil which Ive never used before but it seems like a great product. I put ATD fluid in the trans after reading some good reviews on it.

I also got a shitload of vibrant piping for fabricating my exhaust system.

I was going to use the Vibrant cats but found out that I needed to use the GM supplied cats to pass smog so I began cutting them up to make them fit.

There's not a lot of space for the cats but with lots of test fitting I found a suitable spot for the drivers side and began to build my pipe from the OEM manifolds.

This is what I ended up with.

I then proceeded to do the same on the other side and managed to fit the cats almost identical to the drivers side.

Here you can see the fitment around the steering rack is actually quite good. It's 2.25-inch piping FYI.

Jeff showed up saturday to finish up the wiring which included all the dash related items.

Then it was to the underside to get the alternator wire powered up.

Fancy loom and some sweet placement on the alt to starter wire. I dig it!

I dont really have photos of us starting the car, as we were both concerned about checking for leaks, temps, etc. I will say that we ran into an electrical issue with the factory relay box not having a pin properly mounted which resulted in a couple hours of headache chasing down the problem. Thankfully Jeff was on top of his game and figured it out.

After that the car fired right up and Jeff and I shook hands, he left after a job well done and I loaded the car up on the hoist again.

Today, I spent the majority of the day welding up the exhaust. I started off by attaching some Vbands onto the cats piping.

The GM cats are mild steel so I mig welded everything up to the Vbands, then I switched over to TIG for the rest of the exhaust. Ill end up painting the front assembly so it never rusts. The rest of the system is all SS vibrant piping.

Here's the making of my merge collector. The cat's entry was 2.25-inches so the exhaust from the header is that size, on cat exit it goes to 2.5-inches which I am running and merging to a 3-inch collector.

And here you see the piping mocked up. I feel kinda jipped since the piping looks so simple in these photos but it literally took me HOURS to make this section. I knew building an exhaust would be time consuming but not like this. Especially tig welding it.

Another V-band connector on the 3-inch side.

And here is how it sits. I probably have an easy 10 hours into this system and considering the great access to tools I dont know how some people build exhausts without a hoist.

You guys should have seen the mess after 2 hard days of work but I know my shop foreman would flip if he saw it so I tied up and called it a night.

Hoping I can get the rest of the exhaust built and finished tomorrow night.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #172
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Saw your post on Facebook but damn, your forum posts are awesome. I got some pics like that last one when I was there, where you just look at it and go, "damn, I REALLY wish I had a work area like that" lol.

People buying the magazine should get an insert card with a link to this thread.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #173
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
You are brave as shit getting the paint finished before the mechanical stuff. especially black, and welding around it.

Would be a good idea to put some heat wrap around those oil lines by the cats on the driver side. The hose on the inside will break from the heat over time. I've gone though about 4 earls hoses now because I'm just too lazy to put my sleeving on. LOL
Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #174
junn
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
junn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Glad to see another ls powered s13 out in the streets of socal
Great job
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #175
stockbee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
stockbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stockbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
I took this vid today, first drive! Sounded great for no o2's or exhaust.
Hey I've been in that building before! Love that place!
stockbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #176
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
awesome work as always pete.
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #177
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Doesn't increasing the distance from head to cats cause problems with smog?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #178
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
You are brave as shit getting the paint finished before the mechanical stuff. especially black, and welding around it.

Would be a good idea to put some heat wrap around those oil lines by the cats on the driver side. The hose on the inside will break from the heat over time. I've gone though about 4 earls hoses now because I'm just too lazy to put my sleeving on. LOL
Actually, he used some of the silver fiberglass-backed heat wrap around the oil lines right at the 90's. I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockbee View Post
Hey I've been in that building before! Love that place!
Hell yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murda-c View Post
Yes, in the sense that all emissions equipment (including cats) must be in the same place as it was in the original configuration... but we don't know what that's going to mean for the E-rod setup, since it has a CARB EO. Because he's using C6 Corvette manifolds instead of the E-rod manifolds, his cats are actually right where they would be with the E-rod's (E-rods exited right into the steering shaft). So we'll see.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #179
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post

Everything Im working on is under the car now so there isnt much that can happen to the paint.

And yes, I did heat wrap the lines, as well as many other items under the car, everything is so DAMN tight under there that I wonder how it will hold up to all the heat.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #180
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by murda-c View Post
The cats are actually closer than they would be with the original e-Rod rear exit manifolds so I know Im in good shape with that.