Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #151
95BoostedS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
95BoostedS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post

Old documentary, but I just saw it on Netflix and thought it was pretty good. Anyone else see this?
I actually saw it a while back on Netflix as well. I'm not a LeBron fan but the documentary is really, really good. I'd definitely watch it again.

As far as the NBA goes, I'm disappointed they haven't reached a deal yet. We need basketball!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #152
lucky7
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
lucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
That same logic could be used to tell the owner s to go PLAY in their own league. Or other still, to ATTEMPT to try to sell a very fickle American public “professional” sports with anything less than the best product possible. The owners and players need one another, and the fact remains that the exorbitant salaries are (mostly) warranted and sometimes even UNDER played, based upon individual values to the team and league at large.
[explanation of that last sentence]
I am convinced that the owners crying about losing money are lying as well.
i understand that, however, i don't think any of it is right. the owners are taking advantage of the "value" of the players (value is relative). specific players obviously have more worth to an organization than others - this i also understand. the point of the salary cap is to avoid monopolizing the industry, and i'm sure that team owners have mixed feelings on this subject. on one hand, it sucks that they can't put together a team that would utterly dominate the league, while in turn, they aren't forced into a bidding war going after the most desirable players - resulting in more money in their pockets. for the players, a cap keeps salaries in-line with each other. a "crappy" player making 1m / year, while the star makes 100m for the same year would be asinine. my question is this, is it most beneficial to the mediocre players, keeping the gap between the best and worst lower? or does it take money out of the pockets of the lower paid athletes in favor of the more desirable ones?

do pro athletes get paid a lot? i guess it's relative to your own perspective. i would answer the question, yes. i would even go as far as to say that they get paid far too much for what they do. again, relative to my perspective. the fine line between game and business has been crossed, and there is no going back at this point. my finger is pointed at the consumers though. without the consumer, there is no business end of it. regardless of how i feel about the game itself, i maintain that something got royally fucked along the way. athletes used to work a 9-5, and then go play the game they loved. in my eyes, the sincerity has disappeared completely. i shudder when i think that there is a financial war going on over something that in the grand scheme of things, isn't of high importance. "love of the game" has made a transition to "love of the money". i will always feel that in terms of pro sports, us americans have our priorities severely mixed up. i realize that a correlation can be made to nearly everything that involves money - yet my feelings have remained unchanged for quite some time, and likely will not differ ten years from now.

i may not know every little detail about basketball, which may be apparent to many of you, however, the sport itself has little to do with the situation. it has transcended the game portion of it entirely. now, before the shit-storm of name calling that i'm sure is going to come of this, i have little intention of arguing with anyone. my intent is simply to add to the discussion, although i obviously didn't start out on the correct foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnnr View Post
This makes no sense.

Sure being a brain surgeon, paramedic, armed forces, firefighter, police etc etc are careers that are more beneficial to society, but they do not operate in a setting where people pay admission to see their work.

Heck, if anything those things are actually freely available to see with the advent of reality TV and open heart surgeries being performed live over the internet and all.
hospitals do in fact try to recruit the best of the best. it's the same game, with a different setting. in the medical world, the best of the best draw in people with the most money. there is such thing as a "superstar" doctor. the biggest difference between a superstar dr. and a superstar athlete is that one has very little actual "value" to society compared to the other. aside from that, they are both selling a skill. the value of that skill is dictated by us consumers, and we've done a shit job of putting them into the correct perspective. i hope this doesn't open a giant can of worms as it is not my intent.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #153
Riq
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Riq is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
hospitals do in fact try to recruit the best of the best. it's the same game, with a different setting. in the medical world, the best of the best draw in people with the most money. there is such thing as a "superstar" doctor. the biggest difference between a superstar dr. and a superstar athlete is that one has very little actual "value" to society compared to the other. aside from that, they are both selling a skill. the value of that skill is dictated by us consumers, and we've done a shit job of putting them into the correct perspective. i hope this doesn't open a giant can of worms as it is not my intent.
What is the point of your comments on here? It's obvious that you're no sports fan so why comment on here. Basically you're hating on atheletes because you rather see others in America make their money. Next you're going to say that it's also the fans' fault for making it so that actors make so much money per movie. Just give your nonsense a rest for godsake pretty please....
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #154
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
See, your superstar doctor is a surgeon, and he makes a couple million a year and that is based upon the shared fruits of his labor. The hospital will take their piece to pay for the drugs and anesthesia used while he does his magic, but he gets the cut for his skill. He is so good at what he does, he only "works" like 2 days a week, and spends 2 others in pre/post-surgery consulting.
Using the same parallel you just tried to use, there is literally NOTHING different from your superstar surgeon except the amount of money there is to be shared. If advertising companies, fans, and ANYONE with a dime to return off of him were willing to pump as much cash into the surgeon's work, then you bet your ass he would earn 10 million a year instead of two.
Sure, the athlete's societal 'value' may be lower, but we all know that value is more in what someone is willing to pay to see something than what the assigned fundamental value assigned to them may (or should) so happen to be.

Look, I can name 10 professions that may "deserve" more money than professional athletes, but NONE of them generate the revenue to be given a proper share of than professional athletes.

And I write too!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #155
lucky7
Post Whore!

lucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfection
fair enough i suppose. it still doesn't deter from what i feel is "right" and "wrong".
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #156
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Sport Report - NBA Lockout & Colbert Super PAC's Ad - The Colbert Report - 2011-17-10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

lol
Old 10-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #157
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
As ever, ESPN does some stupid shit in ranking the top players in the league.
Screamin' A Smith and Skip Bayless agree on how wrong they were:

Ranking The NBA's Best - ESPN Video - ESPN

And I write too!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #158
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Yeah that list was completely ridiculous. I agree with them
Instagram: @rjsladerade
Old 10-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #159
boobs13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
boobs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I know dude lol Lebron really Hahaha! That shows that theres really dumb people out there man.

FOR SALE: DOHC maf, KA down pipe and SR A/C pump like new pm me for price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
cars are like beer, they all do the same thing, and we each prefer our own flavor...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #160
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYDS_MEWPU0

lol, love this
Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #161
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

See, I need the lockout to be over, because this shit is what is passing for coverage...

LeBron to get help for hairline?

Look, I found it quite hilarious when it was a trending topic while LeBron tanked during the finals, but right now I would REALLY rather be reading about some preseason goings on.

And I write too!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #162
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
who thinks the lockout will remain the remainder of the season?

seems to me the owners are not budging at all even though the players are willing to negotiate. from 57% to 54% down to like 52%? owners still want 51/49% split or 50/50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #163
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
who thinks the lockout will remain the remainder of the season?

seems to me the owners are not budging at all even though the players are willing to negotiate. from 57% to 54% down to like 52%? owners still want 51/49% split or 50/50?
As long as small market owners keep trying to recoup money they lost on non-basketball ventures when the economy shit the bed at the expense of the players, the season is dead in the water. Until they open the books and prove that they lost money on basketball in one of the most-watched seasons in recent memory, I will continue to call that claim bullshit.
Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.

And I write too!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #164
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.

so am i. i already had a feeling we might lose this season before the lockout even started based on what was being reported in the media, but i think everyone sort of knew this wasn't going to be a 2 month ordeal and losing the entire season might be a possibility. i honestly don't think the owners care if they lose a season since they're billionaires and can afford it and know the players will eventually give in.

you hear on espn and the radio that most people don't even care that the NBA is being locked out but when the NFL was locked out everyone was panicking. the sad thing is, i sort of feel the same, even though i still follow what little news there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #165
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

First missed games tonight...
NBA Schedule, Pro Basketball Schedule - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Alligator tears

And I write too!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #166
boobs13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
boobs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:

I feel you man, I feel you.....

FOR SALE: DOHC maf, KA down pipe and SR A/C pump like new pm me for price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
cars are like beer, they all do the same thing, and we each prefer our own flavor...
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #167
Riq
Zilvia Addict

Lets thank the NBA owners for these missed games. Don't be suprised if the whole season is lost because of these greedy bastard owners. I will however be here when its over because I know Mickey Arison isn't one of the greedy ones. Lakers, Mavs, Celtics, Knicks and Bulls fans can say the same because our owners are in it to win and aren't broke, greed fueled jerks. "50/50 take it or leave it" smh...
Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #168
revat619
Retired General

revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riq View Post
Lets thank the NBA owners for these missed games. Don't be suprised if the whole season is lost because of these greedy bastard owners. I will however be here when its over because I know Mickey Arison isn't one of the greedy ones. Lakers, Mavs, Celtics, Knicks and Bulls fans can say the same because our owners are in it to win and aren't broke, greed fueled jerks. "50/50 take it or leave it" smh...
THIS. QFT.

All while Stern continues to support the greed by these owners....
Old 10-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #169
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

The problem is that the owners are being allowed to claim they're losing a ton of money on basketball, but NOT having to open the books to show it as fact.
Fuck, sell me some magic beans next

And I write too!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #170
Gnnr
Post Whore!

I was debating whether to post this or not because I don't want to get your hopes up

Signs the NBA lockout is almost over | The Basketball Jones | Blogs | theScore.com

I'm still skeptical, but if they where to rap something up they would want to do it before Thanksgiving as to have some games on for the Holidays and recoup their losses. If not, I'll stick with my original prediction of no games 'till sometime after where the All Star Break should have been.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #171
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
ugh...so what to do now?

xquizitditz
Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #172
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Yeah, the casual American sports fan is all fine and dandy for now since they can be distracted with football. Jut wait 'till the Superbowl passes and there is that dead zone. No Football. No Baseball. No Nascar. No F1. No NBA. Just College Basketball and Hockey.

Kill me now.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #173
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
At least we won't have to watch Mike Brown coach the Lakers for another while :/

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #174
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

R&WIFDP’s NBA Report: The Smartest Man In The NBA Lockout « Reading & Writing Is For Dumb People

Words by yours truly

And I write too!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #175
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
what is basketball and how do you play it?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #176
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Christmas came early boys!

NBA owners, players have tentative agreement - ESPN
Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #177
revat619
Retired General

Finally!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #178
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Can't let that kind of money or ratings slip through their fingers! Looking forward to the Mavs / Heat rematch season opener.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #179
Riq
Zilvia Addict

I will truely have a Merry Christmas now. The Heat will open up in Dallas on TNT and LeBron will witness the Mavs getting their rings. If that doesn't snap him out of that mental block he goes through in the 4th qtr nothing will.

LETS GO HEAT FUCK YEAH, THE NBA IS FINALLY BACK!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #180
aziankingz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (28)
aziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really nice
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Hope this is a much needed break for knicks to take it this year!
Closed Thread