Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #151
Enna
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Enna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Enna Send a message via MSN to Enna
Thanks for the previous answer Toby, just gaining perspective on my decision to go with OBD-1 or OBD-2 for a car.

How good is the bluetooth on the alpine decks? I have one that I got brand new in 2007 but I never picked up the bluetooth connector, so I'm interested in using now that talking on the phone while driving is illegal lol.
Enna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #152
scuba_steve91
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
scuba_steve91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey Toby, I got a question about an alarm issue I'm having. The alarm I have is a Viper 5704 with remote start. I can't adjust the sensitivity via the remote no matter what I try to do!
The alarm shop that installed the alarm can't even figure it out.
I hold the F button for 8 seconds while the car is disarmed, then select the sensitivity menu, then hold the F button again, but the alarm just buzzes and locks me out!
Is it possible that the remote itself is faulty?

Heres a video showing what it does.

Last edited by scuba_steve91; 03-23-2012 at 10:41 PM..
scuba_steve91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #153
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enna View Post
Thanks for the previous answer Toby, just gaining perspective on my decision to go with OBD-1 or OBD-2 for a car.

How good is the bluetooth on the alpine decks? I have one that I got brand new in 2007 but I never picked up the bluetooth connector, so I'm interested in using now that talking on the phone while driving is illegal lol.
Since Alpine switched over to Parrot Blue Tooth in their head units the stuff has been awesome. It's even better in this years units because every unit supports streaming audio via BT. You would even be able to pause/play, track up/down from the Alpine, to Pandora on your phone, via BT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve91 View Post
Hey Toby, I got a question about an alarm issue I'm having. The alarm I have is a Viper 5704 with remote start. I can't adjust the sensitivity via the remote no matter what I try to do!
The alarm shop that installed the alarm can't even figure it out.
I hold the F button for 8 seconds while the car is disarmed, then select the sensitivity menu, then hold the F button again, but the alarm just buzzes and locks me out!
Is it possible that the remote itself is faulty?
This is the easiest question I have gotten all week. Answer: you cannot adjust the shock sensor from the remote on the 5704. So your system is working perfectly fine. Now if you had a 5901, which is last years version of the 5704, then you would be able to. The difference is that Viper switched back to outboard shock sensors on their remote start/security combo systems. So you can only adjust the shock sensor via the potentiometer on the side of the actual shock sensor.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #154
scuba_steve91
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
scuba_steve91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Since Alpine switched over to Parrot Blue Tooth in their head units the stuff has been awesome. It's even better in this years units because every unit supports streaming audio via BT. You would even be able to pause/play, track up/down from the Alpine, to Pandora on your phone, via BT.

This is the easiest question I have gotten all week. Answer: you cannot adjust the shock sensor from the remote on the 5704. So your system is working perfectly fine. Now if you had a 5901, which is last years version of the 5704, then you would be able to. The difference is that Viper switched back to outboard shock sensors on their remote start/security combo systems. So you can only adjust the shock sensor via the potentiometer on the side of the actual shock sensor.
Thanks Toby, that was the kind of answer I was hoping to hear! Thanks for making my night better as I was worrying about it all day. Next time I need to purchase alarms / stereos, I'll definitely look for you!
scuba_steve91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #155
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve91 View Post
Thanks Toby, that was the kind of answer I was hoping to hear! Thanks for making my night better as I was worrying about it all day. Next time I need to purchase alarms / stereos, I'll definitely look for you!
No problem man! Yeah it kind of sucks because they kept the same remote for the 5704. So the option is still there in the setup menu of the remote. But it errors out because there obviously isn't a built-in sensor on the board of the brain for it to adjust.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #156
Enna
Zilvia FREAK!

Enna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the reply toby. Is the parrot bt compatible with an older 2007 deck or would I need to upgrade?

The audio streaming would be an incredibly nice feature, but I mainly would like to not get pulled over for taking a call.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #157
Little Jason
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Little Jason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alright well I'm kind of new to car stuff so I'm gonna ask something and hope I don't get flamed for it (lol)

For the S13 center vent gauge plate's, when you mount the gauges, do you have to take the whole dash out? & where would you run the wires through?

Sorry if this was a stupid question, but like I said I'm new to cars and trying to learn :S

Thanks.
Little Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #158
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Thanks for the reply toby. Is the parrot bt compatible with an older 2007 deck or would I need to upgrade?

The audio streaming would be an incredibly nice feature, but I mainly would like to not get pulled over for taking a call.
I'm sorry, I thought you were looking for a new head unit with BT. The new BT is built into the new radios. Alpine does have the Parrot add-on BT module(KCE-400BT). It will stream audio also. However, retail on that thing is $179. Retail on their new entry level BT radio is also $179. So you may just want to consider a whole new radio. However, if you have one of the higher end radios from 2007 then you may not want to. If you need pricing on any of the new models let me know. For example, I will be selling the CDE-133BT for $149 shipped.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #159
Enna
Zilvia FREAK!

Why must you tempt me so?

I believe it was one of the higher end unit's, I don't have the model number offhand but I do recall paying over 300 for it. Ipod hookup and all that fun stuff, unfortunately it is a single din and before they added in the feature to scroll through the ipod using the deck instead of the ipod itself.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #160
Jonah Hill

Jonah Hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Sir Toby. I noticed on your gansta and righteous S15 SR/notchtop setup that you were only running a oil filter relocation kit with out a oil cooler. What’s your take on that, why did you find it unnecessary?

Also... I have pondered at your god like craftsmanship, that you might have OCD like Howard Hughs, but instead with clean airplanes it’s with cars. Is my theory true?

Last edited by Jonah Hill; 03-24-2012 at 03:01 AM..
Jonah Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #161
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Why must you tempt me so?

I believe it was one of the higher end unit's, I don't have the model number offhand but I do recall paying over 300 for it. Ipod hookup and all that fun stuff, unfortunately it is a single din and before they added in the feature to scroll through the ipod using the deck instead of the ipod itself.
If I were you I would buy a new one... are you running amplifiers of any sort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Hill View Post
Good Sir Toby. I noticed on your gansta and righteous S15 SR/notchtop setup that you were only running a oil filter relocation kit with out a oil cooler. What’s your take on that, why did you find it unnecessary?
Since the car was never heavily tracked or anything, there was absolutely no reason for an oil cooler. I'm pretty sure 99% of the people that own SR's do not run an oil cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Hill
Also... I have pondered at your god like craftsmanship, that you might have OCD like Howard Hughs, but instead with clean airplanes it’s with cars. Is my theory true?
LOL, I definitely do not have OCD. I know everyone thinks I do, but I just like doing everything right. I have a very high standard, not OCD. I also like to do things that other people haven't done. I like to be on top of my "game" by challenging myself. But I don't just do it for the sake of doing it... it has to have a purpose.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #162
Enna
Zilvia FREAK!

No amplifiers for the component 3-ways, but an amp on the 10" PoS sub that I have. I'm not looking for fantastic sound, just trying to reuse stuff that I installed in 07.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #163
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
LOL, I definitely do not have OCD. I know everyone thinks I do, but I just like doing everything right. I have a very high standard, not OCD. I also like to do things that other people haven't done. I like to be on top of my "game" by challenging myself. But I don't just do it for the sake of doing it... it has to have a purpose.
LOL. Do you apply these high standards for everything you do in life? Aka... How hard was it for you to find the perfect wife that met your standards?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #164
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey broadfield, first off awesome work man. I really admire the quality and attention to detail u have with everything u do. I wanted to ask do u have any experience with swapping in the nx1600 gauge clusters an if so would u possibly know how to wire or what product I would use to allow the tachometer to work with a single cam KA24. Everyone I have asked either doesn't know or they have dual cam so It doesn't matter. Any help would be very much obliged.
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #165
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
No amplifiers for the component 3-ways, but an amp on the 10" PoS sub that I have. I'm not looking for fantastic sound, just trying to reuse stuff that I installed in 07.
Cool, I was just checking to see if you would need three sets of pre-outs. All Alpines come with at least a subwoofer out, so you would be fine no matter which one you choose if you go that route. By-the-way, I tossed up the new Alpine models on a for sale thread... you can check them out in my sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
LOL. Do you apply these high standards for everything you do in life? Aka... How hard was it for you to find the perfect wife that met your standards?
I went through a handful of girlfriends My wife is amazing along with my two amazing daughters.... I am a very lucky man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetijeff View Post
Hey broadfield, first off awesome work man. I really admire the quality and attention to detail u have with everything u do. I wanted to ask do u have any experience with swapping in the nx1600 gauge clusters an if so would u possibly know how to wire or what product I would use to allow the tachometer to work with a single cam KA24. Everyone I have asked either doesn't know or they have dual cam so It doesn't matter. Any help would be very much obliged.
Sorry man, I have no experience with that cluster.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #166
59bhp
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
59bhp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
hey bud, where do you usually buy your harley davidson indicators from?

i see that you sell them but i am in the uk and the postage and tax would make them about 3 times the price,

any information would be greatly appreciated however i understand if you tell me to sod off and mind my own business
59bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #167
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
hey bud, where do you usually buy your harley davidson indicators from?

i see that you sell them but i am in the uk and the postage and tax would make them about 3 times the price,

any information would be greatly appreciated however i understand if you tell me to sod off and mind my own business
They are Bikers Choice

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #168
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
May have been covered already, sorry if so. But where do you acquire your ABS plastic sheeting for interior gauge stuff? May you sell me a sheet by chance?
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #169
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicelyphe View Post
May have been covered already, sorry if so. But where do you acquire your ABS plastic sheeting for interior gauge stuff? May you sell me a sheet by chance?
I very rarely use ABS in any of my work... I have never used it on a gauge cluster. You can buy it from your local stereo shop or me.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #170
VHS13
Leaky Injector

VHS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Toby,

What is the best way to polish the cover of the gauge cluster?
VHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #171
59bhp
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
59bhp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
They are Bikers Choice
legend, really appreciate it
59bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #172
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I very rarely use ABS in any of my work... I have never used it on a gauge cluster. You can buy it from your local stereo shop or me.

I'm sorry, I thought that was the type of material that was being used. May you clarify what is is? Also how much from you for some? It come 12in x 12in?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #173
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought that was the type of material that was being used. May you clarify what is is? Also how much from you for some? It come 12in x 12in?

3/4" MDF... it comes in 49"x97"

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #174
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Ah! I did not know it was MDF you used haha, nevermind! I'm looking for a sheet of plastic I can use to cover my double din hole and mount to it and what not.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #175
titopr06
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (68)
titopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
hey toby,
did you polish the intake manifold on the sr set up yourself? could you share the best way to go about this.

thanks again!
titopr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #176
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS13 View Post
Toby,

What is the best way to polish the cover of the gauge cluster?
Wet sand then polish. The grit you start with will depend on how deep your scratches are, but I typically start with 1200 grit... and that usually if harsh enough. So this is what I do and the products I use:

Wet sand by hand:
  • Wet sand inside and outside with 1200 grit then rinse
  • Wet sand inside and outside with 1500 grit then rinse
  • Wet sand inside and outside with 2000 grit then rinse
  • Dry and make sure it is sanded uniformly.

For the following I use a 3" mini air polisher:
  • 3" 3M 05759 Foam Buffing pad with Pinnacle XMT #4 inside and out then wipe clean
  • 3" Buff and Shine 330G Foam Polishing pad with Pinnacle XMT #3 inside and out then wipe clean
  • 3" Buff and Shine 320G Foam Finishing pad with Pinnacle XMT #2 inside and out then wipe clean
  • 3" 3M 05760 Ultrafine Foam Polishing pad with Pinnacle XMT #1 inside and out then wipe clean
  • Done!

Quote:
Ah! I did not know it was MDF you used haha, nevermind! I'm looking for a sheet of plastic I can use to cover my double din hole and mount to it and what not.
Like I said, you can get the ABS from a local audio shop. If you can't find it then I can probably sell you some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titopr06 View Post
hey toby,
did you polish the intake manifold on the sr set up yourself? could you share the best way to go about this.

thanks again!
Yes, lots and lots of hard work. This process will cover any aluminum polishing, but the grit you start with will depend on what you are polishing. It won't hurt to start with a harsher grit than needed, but you will only create more work for yourself. So on cast items that have a texture to them, then you will want to start off with a 50 grit. You can try 80 grit, but it may take too long to sand it completely down to 80 grit scratches. It will also depend if you are doing it by hand or by air tool.... I highly suggest a 2" and 3" mini air sander for as many areas as you can get to with the sander. You will also want a die grinder or Dremel tool to get in the tight spots. If your manifold or turbo has raised lettering that you want to remove or any raised casting marks that you want to remove, then you will want to start on those with a 24 grit to knock them down quickly. So here is the sandpaper you will use:

24, 36, 50, 80, 120, 180, 220, 320, then the following wet sand: 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000. Obviously you will need to use various sanding bits on your die grinder or Dremel at the appropriate sanding stages to get into the tight spots. Once I am happy that the only scratches that are on the entire thing are 2000 grit, then I hand polish it with Hoosier metal polish... there is simply nothing better on the market. It's hard to find, but it's better than Flitz etc. And don't even ask about me about Mother's metal polish or anything else from big name polishing supply companies like Meguiars, 3M etc. Hoosier is SOOOO much better than those it shouldn't even be talked about in the same post.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds

Last edited by Broadfield; 03-30-2012 at 11:58 AM..
Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #177
VHS13
Leaky Injector

VHS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you sir. Going to try the same on my helmet shield, that thing is toast!
VHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #178
deadghost
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
deadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Toby, I need your expertise on this configuration that I have been debating. I am trying to run a titek/PBM swirl overflow tank, and wanted to pressurize the air/water flow. Trying to avoid cutting up the rad hoses and running the rad hose adapter. I'm pondering that it might be cleaner to just purchase 1/8 weld in bongs with 1/8npt fittings and have them fab'd to the thermostat & coolant outlet housing(air bleeder location)? And run the coolant hoses via swirl tank to those two locations, I figured it might look a bit cleaner and convenient?

*Whats your take on that?

*What materiel weld in bongs should I purchase. Steel or aluminum (stupid question I know, but I need to be sure)? Thank you for the help.

IG Holy_khal
deadghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #179
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
s14fbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14fbs
toby

im going to be flocking my s14 dash soon what would you suggest would be the best thing to fill the cracks in so it doesnt show threw the flocking ?
s14fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #180
hpipro4
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (71)
hpipro4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 71 reviews
where do you buy the 3" polishing pads you use for polishing the cluster cover?

thnx a bunch
hpipro4 is offline   Reply With Quote