Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #151
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
car does not have to be running to pull codes..just the key on.

i was really hoping to see a post in big letters saying you solved the issue. im sad now.
did you have all the mods to your car when you ran the stock ecu? that might be the reason it wont start. i never attempted to start my car after i put on the 2871 and 850 injectors. i got a rom tune, then i started it.
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #152
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4y0u View Post
car does not have to be running to pull codes..just the key on.

i was really hoping to see a post in big letters saying you solved the issue. im sad now.
did you have all the mods to your car when you ran the stock ecu? that might be the reason it wont start. i never attempted to start my car after i put on the 2871 and 850 injectors. i got a rom tune, then i started it.
um cams and turbo no, but I swapped back in stock injectors and set the MAF back up....so it SHOULD start right up.

Have CAS coming in the mail, hopefully problem will be solved by next weekend....

This is the worst thing trying to troubleshoot....

If it ends up being CAS, it will be that I just "tried a new one" and fixed it....but I am not sure how one could "logically" determine that the CAS intermittantly failing is the issue, unless you had an oscilloscope or whatever....

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #153
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
i see.
well ic an tell you this becase im starting to deal with this issue as well.
check that disc in the cas again. i think i remember you telling us its wasnt a bad dent but it was there.
im installing a aem ems today and i have to order a new cas disc because theres an issue with SOME sr redtop discs and the ems. If it is something that AEM has found to be and issue, my guess is that this disc is pretty important.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #154
US240MP

Trader Rating: (0)
US240MP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know that I am obviously new to this site, but not to cars, and not to 240s... What are you using as the source power for your Coils? Is it sharing a circuit with something else? If it is, it may be that you are not getting enough current to the coils. Sure, you would still see 12v, but not enough current to produce a solid spark. If it shares its source with something else, buy a $.99 relay from an auto part store, wire it to output straight from a 12v source, (battery) w/ a fuse of course. Its a cheap and quick test to make sure that you are getting adequate current. As for everything else, way to stick with it... This thread has to be one of the best that I have read in a while...except for no one reading the entire thread and just throwing in their .02 that have been said by 10 ppl before them... Thanks
US240MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #155
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by US240MP View Post
I know that I am obviously new to this site, but not to cars, and not to 240s... What are you using as the source power for your Coils? Is it sharing a circuit with something else? If it is, it may be that you are not getting enough current to the coils. Sure, you would still see 12v, but not enough current to produce a solid spark. If it shares its source with something else, buy a $.99 relay from an auto part store, wire it to output straight from a 12v source, (battery) w/ a fuse of course. Its a cheap and quick test to make sure that you are getting adequate current. As for everything else, way to stick with it... This thread has to be one of the best that I have read in a while...except for no one reading the entire thread and just throwing in their .02 that have been said by 10 ppl before them... Thanks

I believe it may be sharing power with the ECU, which shouldn't be drawing much power....the main ECCS relay's switched power should go only to the ECU and to the coil side of the ignition coil relay, and that's it......however, it appears as though the person who did my swap bypassed the ignition coil relay and used the switched power coming off of the ECCS relay to directly power the coilpacks....

I find it hard to believe that the ECU is drawing such a significant amount of current to be causing insufficient current to the coilpacks....bt your point is still a good one...ideally, the coilpacks should have their own dedicated source from the battery, with a relay of course....

I just found this out this weekend (swap done by someone else....other than this "oddity", everything else has been perfect 4+ years in terms of wiring and electronics....).

Also, I was thinking the same thing, but the fact is that the car had sufficient current to create spark for the past 4 years, so I don't see that it would all of a sudden change.

Nonetheless, I agree with what you wrote as being a possible problem....in this case, however, due to how long the car functioned perfectly, I think it is something else (electronics getting heat-soaked....leaning towards CAS right now).....

Daily driven
Old 07-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #156
US240MP

US240MP is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that it would be strange to have something soooo simple create such a problem all of a sudden... I just know that even simple electronics, not only hate heat with a passion, but also can randomly fail. When they fail they also can act inconsistently at random times... I am sure that in good circumstances that the ECU wouldn't be drawing enough current to effect it, but with age, heat, and abuse (vibrations)... Who knows... Good luck brah... I am looking forward to the outcome. The suspense is getting to me a lil... I might have to make popcorn every day I read this...lol
US240MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #157
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Update!!!!!!!

For those following my problem in this thread, please see a new thread that I have just created in Tech Talk.......I logged CAS voltages.....

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/330677...ml#post3525443

Daily driven
Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #158
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

i to am trying to hunt down a similar issue now...went to the track on friday night and i can feel power loss around the 6k rpm range. it takes forever to get to redline now for some reason.
my et's were TERRIBLE!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #159
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Okay...update....

This may seem silly....now....it doesn't take much heat to initialize the issue, whereas before it took a while for it to kick in.

started up the car, let it run for like 3 minutes, turned it off.

When I turned it off, I couldn't start it....tried a few times, would NOT turn over for shit.

So then, I go under the hood, and quickly take the cover off the CAS and put an ice pack on the plastic part where you can't "see" the disk....the part where the sender or reciever of the light beam must be contained.

Leave the ice pack on for like 45 seconds....

Then the car starts up without much of an issue.

Let it run again for 5 mintues, turn it off....try starting it like 5 times but no start.

Ice pack on CAS....and voilla, it starts up.

I NEED A CAS!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEBODY PLEASE!!!!!!

I am going nuts....I jsut bought 2 CAS off of someone on here, and they were sposed to get here this weekend, and sure as shit, the kid had some problems and never told me, and they were never even shipped.

To make it worse, he later found out they weren't even working CAS....FUCK

I am trying so hard to find someone in my area to borrow a CAS or something....or just to buy a working one from a legit person on here.

$350 for a brand new one is going to own me pretty hard.

Daily driven
Old 07-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #160
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
jamanrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
Okay...update....

This may seem silly....now....it doesn't take much heat to initialize the issue, whereas before it took a while for it to kick in.

When I turned it off, I couldn't start it....tried a few times, would NOT turn over for shit.

So then, I go under the hood, and quickly take the cover off the CAS and put an ice pack on the plastic part where you can't "see" the disk....the part where the sender or reciever of the light beam must be contained.

Let it run again for 5 mintues, turn it off....try starting it like 5 times but no start.

I am going nuts....I jsut bought 2 CAS off of someone on here, and they were sposed to get here this weekend, and sure as shit, the kid had some problems and never told me, and they were never even shipped.

I am trying so hard to find someone in my area to borrow a CAS or something....or just to buy a working one from a legit person on here.

why would you want a used one any way? hit up the uk ebay sites. I am sure they have many from which to choose and they have been tested.
jamanrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #161
NMs14.5kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (38)
NMs14.5kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
I believe i have one that is in good working shape... i will check in the morning. pm me if your interested in it. hope thats the problem.

Quote:
Okay...update....

NMs14.5kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #162
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
CAS
Figured it could be the CAS, pages ago. Sucks dude, buy a new one.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:00 AM   #163
510-SR20DET
Zilvia Junkie

510-SR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
i say buy a new one. You'll save money in the long run.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #164
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

after following this thread i want to send you mine just so u can check and see if its the CAS before u buy one....i think u r s14 sr and im s13 sr
Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #165
mattsil80wis
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
mattsil80wis is making a name for him/her selfmattsil80wis is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
cody is gonna call you in a bit

(we were doing a fireworks show when you called him last night)

we are gonna send you mine
mattsil80wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #166
240sxspeed
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
bkr8eix the only plug to run
Old 07-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #167
240sxspeed
Zilvia Member

240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold240sxspeed is a splendid one to behold
and if your air to fuel is anything under 11.6 which is still a bit rich at high rp,s your asking for a cracked ring land been there done that pull fuel and keep eye on wideband
Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #168
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Figured it could be the CAS, pages ago. Sucks dude, buy a new one.
Hehe the only thing that seemed odd to us at first, was the intermittance of the issue, as well as the heat issue. I wouldn't have imagined heat playing a role with the little board in them, but I guess it does. While I wasn't a big believer in the coil packs being bad, I guess (and shame on me for overlooking it as well) there isn't much left to diagnose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxspeed View Post
bkr8eix the only plug to run
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxspeed View Post
and if your air to fuel is anything under 11.6 which is still a bit rich at high rp,s your asking for a cracked ring land been there done that pull fuel and keep eye on wideband

I understand you're trying to help, but the advice is a bit off and 'below' what we're trying to accomplish here. Also, the plugs, any will work just fine, just depends on how often you want to service them...and I prefer copper, as it will melt MUCH sooner than Iridium will...possibly saving an engine).....

Also anything in the 11's will be fine at this power level.

Ok advice, but not really pertinent to the thread.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #169
Darius
Zilvia Junkie

Darius is on the path to ruinDarius is on the path to ruinDarius is on the path to ruin
You should really separate the white IGN power wire to the coils from the ECCS black/red power. The IGN wire draws a LOT of current and the ECU sharing the power source is not ideal (i.e. noise). Have you touched the ECCS relay after running the car until it starts to misfire to see if it is hot?

I would simply rewire the IGN to its own switched relay power to get it off of the ECCS relay. There's two relays there and Nissan engineers probably had a good reason for separating the power distribution like that. At least this way you will know it is wired, switched, and fused properly.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #170
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius View Post
You should really separate the white IGN power wire to the coils from the ECCS black/red power. The IGN wire draws a LOT of current and the ECU sharing the power source is not ideal (i.e. noise). Have you touched the ECCS relay after running the car until it starts to misfire to see if it is hot?

I would simply rewire the IGN to its own switched relay power to get it off of the ECCS relay. There's two relays there and Nissan engineers probably had a good reason for separating the power distribution like that. At least this way you will know it is wired, switched, and fused properly.

I completely agree with you and would like to do this.

Part of the problem, for me, would be to find exactly WHERE the coilpack +12V wire actually is spliced into the power coming off the ECCS.

If I could find that splice point, I would just unsplice it and then wire it to the Ignition Coil Relay....

However, I am afraid it is spliced in somewhere in the middle of the harness that I can't get to or find.....and I am not about to pull my whole harness....don't want to upset any connections...

The next option would be to cut the +12V wire and then rewire it to the Ignition Coil.....

But then I have a hot wire floating there.....would it be sufficient to tape this off?

I dunno...haha

Daily driven
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #171
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

cut that wire off, put in a wire nut and tape the shit out of it that should work great
Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #172
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Just put in a KNOWN working CAS....and problem NOT SOLVED.

The car seems to start up a little smoother, and is not giving me the "no start problem" after the misfiring starts occurring..

However, the car still misses TERRIBLY around 4500 RPM.

I have tried TWO different CAS, TWO different IGNITOR CHIPS, and TWO different set so COILPACKS!!!!!

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I can see fuel pressure, which is okay during the misfiring.

I can see alternator output, which is a steady 14.0......

Literally, the only thing left that seems like it could cause a complete misfire is that one of the signal wires from the CAS is not making good contact with the ECU pin?

....or that the ECU is somehow fucked up.....which will drive me crazy.....so much $$$

I would like to get the car to run on the stock ECU, but have been completely unable to do so, so far.....if I can do this, then I could see that the ECU is or is NOT the problem.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Daily driven
Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #173
mattsil80wis
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
mattsil80wis is making a name for him/her selfmattsil80wis is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
do you wanna borrow an ecu tuned for your set up?

text me/PM me

201 519 6994
mattsil80wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #174
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

whats your exact setup?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #175
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
whats your exact setup?

Late Model S13 SR Blacktop
Nismo/Tomei 740 CC Injectors
Aeromotive FPR
OEM or Splitfire Coils
52 Trim GT2871R
264/264 Step 2 HKS Cams
Apexi 1.1 mm HG
Greddy RAS
Greddy Intake Mani

PowerFC D-Jetro (MAP sensor) for late-model Blacktop S13 SR

I am about 99.999999% sure that the engine is mechanically sound and that the issue is being caused by something electrical (ECU or a sensor), but obviously there is that 0.00001%.

It is NOT the tune....the tune worked fine for 9 months.

Daily driven
Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #176
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

i have a enthalpy rom tune for basically the same setup..i have 850cc i will send u a pm
Old 07-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #177
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
jamanrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Late Model S13 SR Blacktop
Nismo/Tomei 740 CC Injectors
Aeromotive FPR
OEM or Splitfire Coils
52 Trim GT2871R
264/264 Step 2 HKS Cams
Apexi 1.1 mm HG
Greddy RAS
Greddy Intake Mani

PowerFC D-Jetro (MAP sensor) for late-model Blacktop S13 SR

I am about 99.999999% sure that the engine is mechanically sound and that the issue is being caused by something electrical (ECU or a sensor), but obviously there is that 0.00001%.

It is NOT the tune....the tune worked fine for 9 months.

Man you have been through so many different things it leaves only the tune or ecu. You should have an Apexi PowerExcel tuner in your area? Hell they have to be certified by Tag himself to be one so they know what they are doing.
jamanrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #178
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

(insert yelling by jaspeth about how its NOT the tune )
ready......go
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #179
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
(insert yelling by jaspeth about how its NOT the tune )
ready......go

Hahaha it's NOT the tune!

This tune has worked for 10 months with no problem, and the air temp corrections are nowhere near large enough for it to be related to the hot weather.

Thank you for playing, good luck next time haha.....

But seriously, it may be the ECU, and then I may just have to take a sledgehammer to my car

Daily driven
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #180
xska

xska is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you try initializing Power-fc and install maps back in?
Also,did you try setting timing to all 20 degree and check actual timing at 4500?(by just revving in neutral).
If it's cas signal related, you can see timing bouncing around.
And what happens after 4500? dose runs good at 7000? or 4500 is like limiter?
There was one case i had problem with valve spring floating and it just dose it at 6000 and not after.
xska is offline   Reply With Quote