Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #151
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Fuck, this thread is still alive?!?!

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #152
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
That's your personal opinion, just like it is everyone else's that doesn't like the RB20. Don't get so butt hurt over it.

That's not efficieny though... Your using more cylinders, more fuel, more drag, more everything to make those numbers with more rotating mass and parts. It makes them less efficient, not more efficient. Now can those larger motors can be more reliable because they have less stresses on those internal parts, yes.
and all that cancels it's self out BECAUSE the inline 6 is naturally a perfect balance.

a 1000hp v8 vs 1000hp 4 cylinder.

4 cylinder keeps up with v8 but AT WHAT COST?!?!? 1,000hp for a V8 IS NOT THE SAME 1,000hp for a 4 cylinder to COMPLETELY different power ranges the END RESULT is 1,000hp

the V8 is making a easy 125hp per cylinder while the 4 cylinder is making 250hp per cylinder, the 4 cylinder is doing 2 TIMES THE WORK! for the same result as a v8 doing LESS work making more power. in other words if the V8 had to push 250hp per cylinder it would be 2,000hp with the same work as your 4 cylinder.

additional the 4 cylinder is the ROUGHEST running engine by nature. V8 and inline 6 are POSSIBLY the smoothest running engines by nature.
S12 Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #153
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
OrangeVirus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
No way the RB20 is only 100lbs heavier, no way in hell.
my bad, I read again, the RB20 is 100lbs heavier than the KA.

Quote:
Don't get so butt hurt over it.
Hey I'm not, I'm done trying to argue with anyone about anything. I'm just having fun with my car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S12 Drifter View Post
and all that cancels it's self out BECAUSE the inline 6 is naturally a perfect balance.

4 cylinder keeps up with v8 but AT WHAT COST?!?!? 1,000hp for a V8 IS NOT THE SAME 1,000hp for a 4 cylinder to COMPLETELY different power ranges the END RESULT is 1,000hp

the V8 is making a easy 125hp per cylinder while the 4 cylinder is making 250hp per cylinder, the 4 cylinder is doing 2 TIMES THE WORK! for the same result as a v8 doing LESS work making more power. in other words if the V8 had to push 250hp per cylinder it would be 2,000hp with the same work as your 4 cylinder.

additional the 4 cylinder is the ROUGHEST running engine by nature. V8 and inline 6 are POSSIBLY the smoothest running engines by nature.
I just realized it's retarded to argue about efficiency unless you have programs and machines to calculate all variables, Perfect intake runner / manifold balance, head porting size.. cylinder design, piston design, Rod to piston length ratio, there is just too much shit.

and I'd have to say a 3 cylinder is pretty rough.
OrangeVirus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #154
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
rocker arm is terrible you lose energy over a large area this is why the VG30DET, CA18DET, KA24DE, RB20/25/26, VK, VH, FJ, S20 are all cam on bucket the faster you get your motion to the lifter and to the bucket the faster you have a valve action, you may have a rocker but it takes energy and the metals flex slightly not much but they do in very small amounts, you need to take up slack of the rocker and lifter even if it is hydraulic it still has a bit of slack.

this is why cam on bucket motors run just a bit better then rocker arm, and the not least but push rods which SUCK!

even worse then push rod is a flat head ford with valves built into the block... two stroke status.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #155
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

OrangeVirus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
rocker arm is terrible you lose energy over a large area this is why the VG30DET, CA18DET, KA24DE, RB20/25/26, VK, VH, FJ, S20 are all cam on bucket the faster you get your motion to the lifter and to the bucket the faster you have a valve action, you may have a rocker but it takes energy and the metals flex slightly not much but they do in very small amounts, you need to take up slack of the rocker and lifter even if it is hydraulic it still has a bit of slack.

this is why cam on bucket motors run just a bit better then rocker arm, and the not least but push rods which SUCK!

even worse then push rod is a flat head ford with valves built into the block... two stroke status.
They already agreed that the SR20 head sucks. You're fighting a losing battle.
OrangeVirus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #156
corbin
Zilvia Member

corbin is a well-known jackass
I'd choose KA-T. Faster than SR in a straight line.
corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #157
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
and all that cancels it's self out BECAUSE the inline 6 is naturally a perfect balance. additional the 4 cylinder is the ROUGHEST running engine by nature. V8 and inline 6 are POSSIBLY the smoothest running engines by nature.
What's your point? I thought we were talking reliability/efficiency. I know an I6 is a naturally balanced and harmonic engine. It wont stop me from making more power than your RB20 with less boost and live harmoniously in 4cyl fury.

Quote:

Your V8 isn't more efficient. It took 4 extra cylinders to make the same power you made in a I4 engine. The I4 isn't working twice as hard, however it's cylinder stresses are increased.

That's still not efficiency no matter how you slice it... You're not going to get it, and it's ok.

Quote:

Tell that to the engineers at Nissan, Honda and anyone else that run a variable timing and lift head. Please read below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVirus1 View Post
They already agreed that the SR20 head sucks. You're fighting a losing battle.
Exactly... You can dry hump the motor you hardly know yet all you want. We all have our opinions and facts that we... er most of us back our conversations up with, so no matter how hard you try, you're not going to get anywhere.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #158
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

Your V8 isn't more efficient. It took 4 extra cylinders to make the same power you made in a I4 engine. The I4 isn't working twice as hard, however it's cylinder stresses are increased.
you wanna play LETS PLAY.

SR20 VS VK56

stock for stock 200 vs 317 hp

had a bigger turbo to your SR get 350hp add a twin turbo to the vk get almost 600hp instantly.

even the Ferrari F40 3.8l V8 in production form makes more power then a SR BECAUSE THE 4 EXTRA CYLINDER HELP WITH exhaust gasses and exhaust pressure, their not just dead weight you know. it did not take 4 extra cylinders thats the way the motor was made as a v8. not as a 4 cylinder with another 4 cylinder bolted on.

show me the most powerful SR you've seen and i will show you 6,000hp V8's make 6x what your SR can make BECAUSE LESS STRESS per cylinder = more efficient engine.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #159
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

Tell that to the engineers at Nissan, Honda and anyone else that run a variable timing and lift head. Please read below...

nissan runs variable timing control on the VG30DE/DETT rb25/26 and VK? maybe it was the VH? and they do not use rocker arms.

/discussion.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #160
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Timing control, not lift. Go back and reread my post.

So a 2l motor vs a 5.6l motor, one makes 220 the other 305. And you think the V8 is more efficient. Yeah, you know what you're talking about...
Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #161
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
This thread is fucking stupid to begin with. Seriously?? A 4 banger vs a 6 straighy 6? Go figure
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #162
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Timing control, not lift. Go back and reread my post.

So a 2l motor vs a 5.6l motor, one makes 220 the other 305. And you think the V8 is more efficient. Yeah, you know what you're talking about...
how much does a SR20DE make? 120? 130 AT THE CRANK? 90h at that wheels? 100 at the wheels?

okay then
Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #163
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Holy fucking shit. JUST LET THIS DIE!

Now we're bringing v-8's into the mix as well. Yeah, let's compare an engine with close to 3x the displacement of the SR. At least when the RB20 was being compared it made some sense. Also we'll argue constantly about the efficiency of the engines. As if you know anything about engine efficiency or how to calculate/compare it. WTF is wrong with Zilvia lately???

EDIT: The N/A SR makes 120hp @ the crank let's say. The VK56 makes 305hp @ the crank let's say. The VK has 2.8x the displacement of the SR. 120x2.8=336...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #164
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I want to play!

He(s12drifter) is using the term efficient incorrectly.
Is the V8 more efficient at handling load per cylinder?
Is it more efficient at making power?
You need to state the "what" that is more efficient.

l2p
Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #165
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:

You should compare apples to apples here.

2.0L 4cyl vs 2.0L 6cyl

so compare a 2.0Lcyl vs a 2.0L v8 plz.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #166
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Bmxer300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
S12dorifto is just Anti sr20, he's crying on someones build thread that's swapping a sr20det into a z32 talking about how much torque his vg30Et makes over ANY sr ever .... point is he wants big power and big torque with soo little money he should go buy a cumaro and do a 6.0 swap then he'll have the power of the pushrod gods at his toetips.
Bmxer300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #167
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer300zx View Post
s12dorifto is just anti sr20, he's crying on someones build thread that's swapping a sr20det into a z32 talking about how much torque his vg30et makes over any sr ever .... Point is he wants big power and big torque with soo little money he should go buy a cumaro and do a 6.0 swap then he'll have the power of the pushrod gods at his toetips.
your fucking right because the sr20 is a piece of shit nissan made it cheaply as something to stick in the s chassis!

I'm building my Z31 FOR TRACK not drag i could care less about drag, yea my VG makes power, I've snapped CV axles, I've broken transmissions and snapped more CV axles.

and guess what? The little RB20 i have will make more power then the VG30ET because 4 valves per cylinder dohc > 2 valves per cylinder SOHC

if you read what i post i'd know the VG30 ET is a good street engine and thats about it, RB is a more track inspired motor. the Z31's CAME with RB's anyway in the 200ZR models
Old 05-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #168
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Dude, get over yourself. No one cares about your opinion.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #169
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Dude, get over yourself. No one cares about your opinion.
does not change the fact that the SR20 is a piece of garbage
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #170
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
does not change the fact that the SR20 is a piece of garbage
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Have fun butt fucking your 2L RB.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #171
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
when you type in big letters, its because you're on the ground being shit kicked by a circle of people and no one can hear you over the laughter.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #172
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Bmxer300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
In all honesty your a tool. Just cause you dont like the sr20 doesnt make them horrible, there's sr20's running low 7/ high 6 quarter mile times. You argueing your outdated vg30et that makes less hp stock as a s14 sr20 makes no sense. How bout the s15 sr? Thats more hp (250hp) than your v6eT and 220tq (7ftlbs less)
In stock form sr20/rb20 i have driven both in my car and theres not that much of a difference but a couple hundred rpms of lag With the rb and stayed neck and neck racing sr20 240's . If engine size is your arguement of why its good why are you messing with anything other than a v8 to begin with?
Bmxer300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #173
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
wtf is this v8 talk now? Why is there bold big letters in this page? What's happening to silvia? I love my reliable as hell stock rb25, sounds like god's singing too!
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #174
korito727
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
korito727 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Oh we're tossing in other engines now..? My 1jz sc300 hangs on the door of my friends t28 sr....... Before I hit boost that is ))

But in reality this is way off topic and stupid now. There pos and neg to each engine.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #175
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
if you read what i post i'd know the VG30 ET is a good street engine and thats about it, RB is a more track inspired motor. the Z31's CAME with RB's anyway in the 200ZR models
First off, no one here cares about your heap of shit Z31 or the garbage that they call the VG motor.

Second, RB is a track inspired motor? Skyline in japan is nothing more than a generic grocery getter, it's the japanese crown victoria. They were heavy, slow and boaty cars that needed turbo chargers to get anywhere, nothing was sporty about the GTS-Ts. The only exception was the RB26/GTR for obvious reasons. Atleast the 180sx/200sx was made and marketed as a sports coupe, light and nimble with one of the best inline 4 motors made.

RB20/RB25 track inspired motors, what a joke!
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #176
OneSicSilvia
Leaky Injector

OneSicSilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Your a dumb ass. The SR is def one of the better 4 cyls made lol...even to date. Comparing a RB20 to an SR is very generic. Both are good motors. But no matter how you cut the fucking pie, To make power, both need to be upgraded. the SR is generally easier to aquire parts for, and cheaper. I've had many SR's and revved the everlasting shit out of them. Never had a issue with the rocker arms lol. What are your goals?! The fact that your comparing V8's to 4 cyls automatically makes your attempt to validate a point null and void. Again. I fucking hate when people say that shit "a 1000hp v8 vs 1000hp 4 cylinder" *Beep Beep Beep* Asshole alert!. Chances youll ever see 1000hp out of any motor you will own? FUCK ALL. Because the percentage of people who actually own motors that fast is shit!. Even 500hp range % is fairly low in comparison. So wtf is your point?. You have a pipe dream. Congratulations`. You and everyone else. SR is a popular swap, thats about the only shit thing it has going for it, aside form the downside of it being so popular that its expensive to buy a motor set. So quit your worthless blabber, when your clearly dont know dick about wtf your even gibbering about. The SR is fine, Your attitude about it is that of a handicapped moron.
OneSicSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #177
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

The fj is possibly the best 4 cylinder nissan made fj/ka/ca/qr sr. In that order.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #178
OneSicSilvia
Leaky Injector

Yes Clearly the FJ was the best 4 they made...hence it's long and prosperous heritage rofl... And since you were so dire straits about literage Shouldnt the QR be the top dog despite it being a turd?. Followed by the KA.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #179
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSicSilvia View Post
Yes Clearly the FJ was the best 4 they made...hence it's long and prosperous heritage rofl... And since you were so dire straits about literage Shouldnt the QR be the top dog despite it being a turd?. Followed by the KA.
Before you insult me LEARN to spell and use proper grammar half this site has less grammar then a 4th grade English class.

Quote:
Yes, clearly the FJ was the best 4 cylinder they made, hence it's long and prosperous heritage rofl...
What the fuck is that? literage? I've never heard that word and my firefox can't find a sub for it either.

shouldnt is spelled in shouldn't,

the FJ is a way better engine then the SR. but it's alright, your ignorant about other engines I'll just let you be with your trailer trash SR. Just by your spelling pffttt, nah I'm done I don't want to go to hell for making fun of retards.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #180
OneSicSilvia
Leaky Injector

Youve never heard of literage being used before?. You must not get out much. Thats ok, I'll stick with my trash SR lol, chances are it is, and will be faster then anything youll have anytime soon lol. Fucking basement nerd getting all strung out over grammar on the interwebs lol. Thats how you know your winning an argument, when someone points out your typo's lol.