Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #1891
Silvia_Drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Silvia_Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I need some advice if you guys don`t mind. I got my car tuned last year. Here is my setup:

- GT2871R .64 (bolt on T25/8 style housing)
- Internal Wastegate, HKS actuator
- Nismo 555cc Injectors
- Stock intake/exhaust manifolds
- Stock TB
- Power FC D Jetro
- Full 3 inch exhaust
- Huge FMIC
- BC Step 3 272 Cams
- BC Titanium Springs and retainers
- Cometic Head gasket, ARP studs

The car put down 335whp at 18psi down to 16psi before redline. Car ran a 12.4 at 115mph with a 1.99 60 foot. Dynapack dyno.

Because of the cams, the car is very laggy. Pretty much the whole setup is good for low and mid range, except the cams. These cams are designed for high RPM/big turbo. I am thinking that once the cams are getting into their efficiency, the turbo is getting out of efficiency, which contributes to the laggy response.

My question is, if I put the stock cams back in and get a retune, will I end up loosing power? I know the stock cams would match my setup but I would like to stay at around 335whp.

Here is the dynosheet for my current setup

Silvia_Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #1892
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Try 264 or 256 cams.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #1893
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
(yes, with stock cams you will lose power).
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #1894
Pantaloons
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Pantaloons is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rammy. my buddy brad made 340whp with stock cams at 16psi so...
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #1895
jubee
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
jubee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
There were quite a few people that were running a .86 2871r and hitting 450 whp, this was a couple years back. I was also running a 2871r .86 on my sr and was pretty happy with it, only time i got to dyno it was when i first got it, and i was only running 7 psi and was putting down 240 whp. Stock head, stock injectors, stock bottom.
jubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #1896
ke70 sr20det
Leaky Injector

ke70 sr20det is an unknown quantity at this point
any new vids from your side cody
Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #1897
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantaloons View Post
aem meth kit with actually water/ meth used... not washer fluid like all the cheap kids

and i use it for drifting
Mind giving me the model no. for your kit? Im really interested in going this route

You havent noticed any problems while drifting? Just wondering if the sidewayz action may starve the meth kit of fluid from time to time or with a lower level of fluid
Old 03-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #1898
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I bit the bullet, switched to an external wastegate and quality manifold. That alone gave me 22hp and 15tq at the same 17psi boost level. Boost stays rock solid, Wastegate is loud as hell. I do have my peeves, exhaust housing bolts decided to back out, even though I only clocked the compressor housing, test pipe bolts kept backing out as well. loctited those bad-boys. I'm currently retuning with Nistune also, but i need to upgrade my injectors.
I think 400hp goals are so overrated now! Another 2-3psi and an injector upgrade I'm there!

Oh yeah, those hating on external gate setups or just on a budget. I say do it anyway you probably read as much info as I did about the pros vs cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Mind giving me the model no. for your kit? Im really interested in going this route

You havent noticed any problems while drifting? Just wondering if the sidewayz action may starve the meth kit of fluid from time to time or with a lower level of fluid
I'd like to here more about your setup actually, Is it the single nozzle setup in the cold pipe or tuned port type?

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #1899
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantaloons View Post
aem meth kit with actually water/ meth used... not washer fluid like all the cheap kids

and i use it for drifting
I wouldn't be so quick to discredit washer fluid, as I could post up quite a few members who have used it for years without any worry (to include myself). There are pros and cons of any of the options for a meth kit....if basic detonation resistance is the main goal, Washer Fluid works well and is ridiculously cheap (not to mention accessible anywhere).

In regard to power, I've personally dynoed cars back to back switching between 'fuels' and the power difference was pretty negligible IMO on the same tune. I will say this, a teaspoon of Nitro-Meth into the mixture does however make some silly power gains hehe...but it's not something I'd suggest for everyday use. The Cobra did love it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia_Drift View Post
My question is, if I put the stock cams back in and get a retune, will I end up loosing power? I know the stock cams would match my setup but I would like to stay at around 335whp.
I'd put money on you probably making the same power lol...BC stuff is jank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubee View Post
There were quite a few people that were running a .86 2871r and hitting 450 whp, this was a couple years back.
True, but they were all 24+ psi and race gas...that's a no brainer to making power. I don't like to focus much on race gas cars as it really isn't showing a well setup car, just how well timing influences power production hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post

I use a Snow Performance basic kit (pump, reservoir) mounted in the trunk, a inline selenoid to prevent siphoning, and then the the nozzle welded into the coldpipe just below where it enters the engine bay. I wanna say I have a red nozzle, but I can't remember (whatever the 350-450 hp nozzle was).

In regard to drifting, you should never ever 'run out' assuming your tank is gravity fed, and the pump is close to it. In my example, the tank is directly above the pump.

don't mind the shitty aluminum welding, I had the wrong gas with a shitty spool gun. I remade it and had a friend tig it,as that really bothered the hell out of me looking janky.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #1900
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
tabasco122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I like that meth setup, it looks nice. I may end up putting mine there and moving my battery between the rear strut towers. i really dont like the battery where it is currently.
tabasco122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #1901
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Detonation resistance is my only need for water/meth. Fucking knocking.like a Bitch ever since coming down here to this dank ass 91octane that performs like 87oct.

Ima get all this work done, then after a tune if I'm still knocking, wiper fluid
Old 03-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #1902
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco122 View Post
Engines are basically air pumps. more air an engine can move (and adequately provide fuel for) the more power it makes. That turbo cannot flow enough air to hit that power goal. the only way possible would be to build the car for a huge shot of nitrous (which is like liquid air).
I try to keep in mind that turbochargers do not flow mass, only volume. so the perspective power output conversions (CFM-MASS) is always using some kind of temperature conversion, [usually] with a built in efficiency loss for the compressor.

now, if you could supercool the air before it got to the compressor, it would flow more mass of air (the air would be "heavier"/denser) and therefore more power would be made, since more air molecules are packed into the same space. A maf would auto-adjust. A MAP would not because boost pressure remains the same- hopefully there is an IAT correction?

so a turbocharger flowing 20lb/min of air might flow 25lb/min at the right inlet temperature. see where I am going? A t-25 might hit 300horsepower if we could bring the inlet temp down to... well very low. but we could right? we could if the maximum velocity of air is not reached(that t-25 out/inlet is not very large). The trouble is cooling, even spraying water/meth is not going to do much to ambient temp air, plus the fact compressor wheels do not like droplets of water hitting them at 80,000 rpm. So that scenario is pointless to consider. spraying it after the compressor adds its heat would increase the density of the air after the compressor so you are still restricted to the basic CFM->MASS conversion supplied by ambient temperature air as it is affected by the compressors efficiency. In other words, it acts more as an ["octane improver"/detonation retardant] than a "power improver". We could do the same thing with an Air/ice-water intercooler, within reason. the added power comes when the air gets denser, and the compressor has more headroom for flow to pick up the slack. if the compressor is maxed out, lowering the temp after the outlet is only going to reduce power ( lowers thermal efficiency ) , because "engines always make the most power with the largest mass of hot-as-possible air". (quoted from crossfire TA!)
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #1903
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Bill Nye Post
I'm glad people like you post...I don't have the ability/patience to type that all out to help others hehe

However I'd love to see the theoretical IAT to allow a T25 to make 300 whp...assuming it even moves the needed air (lets not forget flow and volume are somewhat related)...-30*F temps? Hahah.

Oh well. Nice to see you posting again Good seeing some OG on here.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #1904
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I'm glad people like you post...I don't have the ability/patience to type that all out to help others hehe

However I'd love to see the theoretical IAT to allow a T25 to make 300 whp...assuming it even moves the needed air (lets not forget flow and volume are somewhat related)...-30*F temps? Hahah.

Oh well. Nice to see you posting again Good seeing some OG on here.
Sup cody! yeah man when I procrastinate my study time I usually hit all the forums, wash my car, clean my room, whatever it takes to avoid studying lol.

Ill always remember the engine with the straight pipe from turbocharger->throttle body. Response was good, compressor was maxed. The guy added an intercooler, thinking cooler air = more power. Well, air temp decreased, response got worse, boost pressure decreased, and the compressor was still maxed so power stayed the same. he went back to a straight pipe XD
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #1905
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Ill always remember the engine with the straight pipe from turbocharger->throttle body. Response was good, compressor was maxed. The guy added an intercooler, thinking cooler air = more power. Well, air temp decreased, response got worse, boost pressure decreased, and the compressor was still maxed so power stayed the same. he went back to a straight pipe XD
interesting,

do you know how long his engine last?
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #1906
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cured13 View Post
interesting,

do you know how long his engine last?
its possible to run a turbocharged car without an intercooler, but you either have to increase the octene, or run methanol. also, you wont be able to run very high boost levels afaik.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #1907
2forty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia_Drift View Post
I need some advice if you guys don`t mind. I got my car tuned last year. Here is my setup:

- GT2871R .64 (bolt on T25/8 style housing)
- Internal Wastegate, HKS actuator
- Nismo 555cc Injectors
- Stock intake/exhaust manifolds
- Stock TB
- Power FC D Jetro
- Full 3 inch exhaust
- Huge FMIC
- BC Step 3 272 Cams
- BC Titanium Springs and retainers
- Cometic Head gasket, ARP studs

The car put down 335whp at 18psi down to 16psi before redline. Car ran a 12.4 at 115mph with a 1.99 60 foot. Dynapack dyno.

Because of the cams, the car is very laggy. Pretty much the whole setup is good for low and mid range, except the cams. These cams are designed for high RPM/big turbo. I am thinking that once the cams are getting into their efficiency, the turbo is getting out of efficiency, which contributes to the laggy response.

Here is the dynosheet for my current setup

You should have been making alot more power. my old motor was only a t28, hks 264 step 1s, enthalpy tune, and was trapping 114mph @ 17lbs. Never had it dyno'd but i figured around 300whp. A 2871r and Power FC should make alot more power...
Old 03-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #1908
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Any body has regret putting gt2871r instead of top mount t3. I am installing gt2871r right now . Its kind of a bitch to put them on. I think top mount t3 will be alot easier.
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #1909
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

louisiana guy posted a dyno sheet on another forum im on. its impressive, until you start looking at where the power comes in at, the lag on this thing is unbelievable....

pump

and e85 (wish i had some around me)

here is his mod list
Quote:
S13 blacktop sr20
Balanced and blue printed
Kings racing bearings
Eagle rods
CP pistons (9:1)
Mazworx stage 2 head (combustion chambers opened up and oil journals opened more)
Supertech valvetran(valves, springs, and retainers)
Enjukuracing rocker arm stoppers
Tomei 270/270 12.5 lift cams
Greddy intake mani (all casting clean out and polished)
03 mustang gt TB 65mm
Peakboost turbo mani and Dp
Prescion 6262 BB .82 A/R
Tial 38mm WG
Apexi gt spec 3 3/4 exhaust (no cat or resonator, very loud)
Greddy R intercooler
Walbro feeding a Bosch 044
All AN -6 lines from tank to rail and back
Aeromotive FPR
JGY fuel rail with a single center feed with 2 returns on the ends
ID 1000s injectors
AEM EMS 1601
Tuned by CTP Mr Seth Francis
E85 at 70psi fuel pressure making 610hp at 6500rpm!!!!!
And 520ft/lb at 6500rpm!!!!
my engine can most likely handle that kind of power, but who wants that? its almost unusable because he doesnt make any power till after 5k
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #1910
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
^^ Damn that is on a dyno dynamics, but the lag is undriveable though! Geez....
Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #1911
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
OMG. Tsunami graph rather than turtle back. That's a disgusting looking dyno graph.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #1912
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

yeah, codyace's car makes twice the hp at 4k than his. its almost like his turbo hasnt even started to spool at that level...
Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #1913
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurud View Post
Any body has regret putting gt2871r instead of top mount t3. I am installing gt2871r right now . Its kind of a bitch to put them on. I think top mount t3 will be alot easier.
A bitch to put on? How so?

Take the manifold off, and add stainless steel lines...super easy.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #1914
drag113
Leaky Injector

drag113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you guys seing any leakage between the block and head area of your metal headgaskets? Engine still runs good. It leaks very slowly but over time my block gets sludge and looks horrible.
drag113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #1915
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag113 View Post
Are you guys seing any leakage between the block and head area of your metal headgaskets? Engine still runs good. It leaks very slowly but over time my block gets sludge and looks horrible.
you mean on the outside of the engine? did you retorque the head bolts after 1000 miles? i have only put about 1000 miles since i put my apexi hg on, but i notice no leaking at all. engine is still clean from the machine shop.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #1916
drag113
Leaky Injector

drag113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Havent retorqued. Never got called in to get them retorqued by my tech
drag113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #1917
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

i know on the apexi its recommended to retorque the head bolts after 1k
Old 03-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #1918
JL240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
JL240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ok gurus i need your opinion on cam choice for my set up wich is
gt2871r .86
hks exuast mani
740cc
power fc d jetro with boost controller
all other supporting stuff with stock internals
the last tune i got it put out 288whp at 15 psi on 91 oct with stock exuast mani
the cam choices that im thinking are :
tomei 260 12.0 procams, jwt s3 or s4 or would i need something smaller? i will be doing springs and ras when i do hg and cams and hopefully upping the boost to 17 psi on the next tune on 94 oct since its tuned for 91oct right now
my general purpose is street and strip on weeknends and my hp goal is mid to high 300s and low 12s on 1/4
JL240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #1919
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco122 View Post
i know on the apexi its recommended to retorque the head bolts after 1k
Really? I never heard of that before.

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:45 AM   #1920
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
Really? I never heard of that before.
Hmmm, apparently some people recommend retorquing them after the first heat cycle and again after 500-1000 miles, but according to some guy who said he contacted apexi, its not necessary. i was told when i bought my car that it needed to be done, i may rethink that now. im paranoid about touching my cams or anything timing related, so i think ill just leave it alone.