Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #1981
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm running ground control plates up front, has both caster and camber adjustment.

If I'm not mistaken Vorschlag does as well.
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #1982
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
I'm running ground control plates up front, has both caster and camber adjustment.

Yup, but Vorschlag doesn't sell them separate anymore.

Stance is supposed to be coming out with them soon.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #1983
Slidin' Sam
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin' Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
What kinds of things has everybody done/tried to get more rear traction and what side effects, if any, have there been? Example: I hear of some people disconnecting the rear sway bar. Anybody have input on this? (I know its kinda off topic, but I think some of the answers will apply to the topic of this thread).
Old 11-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #1984
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Disconnect your FRONT swaybar. Feels super awesome in transitions, and makes my car just a touch focused on oversteer. Haven't tried removing the rear yet (as well), but I plan on doing it soon.

Most guys that have tried disconnected rear only don't like it. Seems like it would make the car understeer and wallow more to me.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #1985
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Disconnect your FRONT swaybar. Feels super awesome in transitions, and makes my car just a touch focused on oversteer. Haven't tried removing the rear yet (as well), but I plan on doing it soon.

Most guys that have tried disconnected rear only don't like it. Seems like it would make the car understeer and wallow more to me.
Our cars NEED swaybars front AND rear. At least if you're pulling lateral G's with the car. If you're drifting or something like that, you can probably do funky car setup stuff to get it to go sideways better.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #1986
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
Good stuff man.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of Upper Coilover mounts with both Camber AND Caster Adjustment aside from HKS? The HKS units are about $450 which is a bit steep, but not un-affordable but I believe they're only compatible with their Coilovers which are a bit on the expensive side as well. I'd prefer not to pay upwards of 2k for Coils if I can help it.

I've heard that PBM is designing a Pro/Competition Coilover which is supposed to have them, but I haven't seen anything quantitative confirming or denying this other than a few posts on their forum....
T3 plates allow caster adjustment. T3 = Techno Toy Tuning
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #1987
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Good stuff man.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of Upper Coilover mounts with both Camber AND Caster Adjustment aside from HKS? The HKS units are about $450 which is a bit steep, but not un-affordable but I believe they're only compatible with their Coilovers which are a bit on the expensive side as well. I'd prefer not to pay upwards of 2k for Coils if I can help it.

I've heard that PBM is designing a Pro/Competition Coilover which is supposed to have them, but I haven't seen anything quantitative confirming or denying this other than a few posts on their forum....
Noltec sells camber caster plate uppers. You can buy Noltec stuff through PSI in Norcal.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #1988
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Our cars NEED swaybars front AND rear. At least if you're pulling lateral G's with the car. If you're drifting or something like that, you can probably do funky car setup stuff to get it to go sideways better.
Why do you say this? I am talking about normal cornering. Totally erased my understeer and gave me just a touch of at-the-limit oversteer. Feels great.

Plus, I would rather control body movement with spring rate and keep the wheels as independent as possible.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #1989
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
Why do you say this? I am talking about normal cornering. Totally erased my understeer and gave me just a touch of at-the-limit oversteer. Feels great.

Plus, I would rather control body movement with spring rate and keep the wheels as independent as possible.
Because my car was horribly slow without swaybars and 500/380 lb/in spring rates - HORRIBLY slow. It would flop over in a corner, lose camber, and just go slow. Even with stiffer than stock swaybars the roll stiffness is a little low. You'd need something like 800+ lb/in spring rates or higher to even begin to get enough lateral roll stiffness.

This is actual lap times talking. How the car feels on the street at 3/10ths is deceptive.

You just can't possibly get enough roll stiffness with just springs. The car would just be skittering over bumps at the appropriate roll stiffness without swaybars.

Besides, the load distribution on the tires is the same when doing the roll stiffness with springs vs. springs and bars.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #1990
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:

This is actual lap times talking. How the car feels on the street at 3/10ths is deceptive.

This is very true. I have never run my car around a roadcourse normally. Looks like I'm going to have to get a Hicas anti-roll bar.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #1991
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
This is very true. I have never run my car around a roadcourse normally. Looks like I'm going to have to get a Hicas anti-roll bar.
If you want to save some weight, the J30 bar is 19mm and hollow. Bolts right in. Feels pretty balanced with a stock S chass front bar.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #1992
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Did not know that j30 bars fit, good to know, they're everywhere.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #1993
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
My s14 has no front or rear sway bars, feels horrible. Car flops around when cornering, drifting feels like the car is rolling way too much, I'm going to try putting them on. But i will say this, it felt a little faster when drifting, but i dont like the body roll, i run megan streets so i think i need the bars.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #1994
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
If you want to save some weight, the J30 bar is 19mm and hollow. Bolts right in. Feels pretty balanced with a stock S chass front bar.
Haha, I looked up your thread about hollow sway bars. Makes me want to slap myself for posting what I did

Looks like i'm going to have to find an S14 front bar and J30 rear; should be easy...

Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #1995
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
T3 plates allow caster adjustment. T3 = Techno Toy Tuning
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Noltec sells camber caster plate uppers. You can buy Noltec stuff through PSI in Norcal.
Thanks Guys. <3
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #1996
driftpolice
BANNED

driftpolice is an unknown quantity at this point
will that j30 rear sway work on s14?
driftpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #1997
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftpolice View Post
will that j30 rear sway work on s14?
It should, I have an S14 rear subframe now.

It has exhaust "humps" to clear a dual exhaust, but it lined up perfectly with my 3" exhaust going through the stock location with miles of clearance.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #1998
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:

Valley Motorwerks - VMWERKS - BMW / Mini Service, Repair, and Parts Sells them seperatly. I delt with a guy named Alex to aquire them

My reciept shows 69 shipped, so not bad either.

Just remember to tell them it's for a koni setup, 2.5 vorshlag mount.

(THis was also a year ago, so it may not be relevant now)

Quote:
Because my car was horribly slow without swaybars and 500/380 lb/in spring rates - HORRIBLY slow. It would flop over in a corner, lose camber, and just go slow. Even with stiffer than stock swaybars the roll stiffness is a little low. You'd need something like 800+ lb/in spring rates or higher to even begin to get enough lateral roll stiffness.
I totally agree. I'm on 550/450 springs, and even still love the swaybars on track. TO me it keeps it from being tailhappy.

Quote:
Even on street I prefer them...especially for any sort of spirited back roads going. Combined with the corrected bumpsteer and roll center, the car seems like it has infinite turn it...it just grips and goes!

Quote:
You just can't possibly get enough roll stiffness with just springs. The car would just be skittering over bumps at the appropriate roll stiffness without swaybars.
FWD cars are often guilty of this being unable to fit super huge bars (b chassis good example).

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #1999
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

how does the j30 hollow bar compare to s13 hicas solid bar? Is it stiffer than the s13 21mm hicas solid bar? Are there poly bushings available for the j30 bar? How about endlinks would progress rear heim endlinks work?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #2000
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
how does the j30 hollow bar compare to s13 hicas solid bar? Is it stiffer than the s13 21mm hicas solid bar? Are there poly bushings available for the j30 bar? How about endlinks would progress rear heim endlinks work?
The math doesn't check out.

S13 HICAS bar will be stiffer, but it's solid from what everyone says, and it's been way too long since I've had the bar off of my car for me to feel and tell you how heavy or not heavy it really is.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #2001
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
off topic quesiton, but I saw sway bars mentioned above.

I'm running a side exit exhaust, so in my application there is no need for the "hump" in the rear sway bar, I was thinking of making another rear sway bar without the hump (since I have the ability, and tools to make one), does anyone else think that this would help? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part??? It would seem like this would help overall handling in the rear and firm things up a bit.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #2002
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

^Just do it.

If the j30 is less stiff ill stick to my stock 21mm hicas one then.. I feel tempted to try a tanabe rear as its hollow and super light.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #2003
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeshemp44 View Post
off topic quesiton, but I saw sway bars mentioned above.

I'm running a side exit exhaust, so in my application there is no need for the "hump" in the rear sway bar, I was thinking of making another rear sway bar without the hump (since I have the ability, and tools to make one), does anyone else think that this would help? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part??? It would seem like this would help overall handling in the rear and firm things up a bit.
Make it an adjustable flat blade style sway bar that can be adjusted on the fly, in cabin.

Do it.

Don't ask, just do it.

DO IT.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #2004
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Adjustable from in cabin eh???? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #2005
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I would love to see one of those adjustable swaybar setups on an s-chassis. <3

fakeshemp44: can you pm me a pic of your side exit? I'm trying to find a way to do it and maintain ground clearance.

I have a full set of HICAS bars I can weigh. Would you all be interested in me doing this?
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #2006
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
They're called blade-type swaybars, and Bill from Dentsport has them on his S13. As do a lot of professional racing cars if the series allows. Look it up.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #2007
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
....... .....
Old 11-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #2008
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
They're called blade-type swaybars, and Bill from Dentsport has them on his S13. As do a lot of professional racing cars if the series allows. Look it up.
Any pics of that floating around? I can't find any on his site and all of the pics in his build thread are dead.
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #2009
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
They're supposed to be out around new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerilousActs View Post
Any pics of that floating around? I can't find any on his site and all of the pics in his build thread are dead.

I might. Have to check when I get home.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #2010
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

It's the big yellow bar.
Sorry, I don't have shots of the ends where they connect to the LCAs.