Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #20251
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Since driving with the windows down is a "240 thing", how will that affect the interior's condition? I would presume it would raise humidity. Would the gel beans absorb humidity faster to "wear out" sooner? I cant remember the last time I drove without lowering my windows.

Follow-up question, is there anyway to prevent like a oily type build up on the interior glass windows? Iirc thats oils from the interior plastics and suede being released from the heat of the sun shining through the window.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #20252
imbored205
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
imbored205 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I am in the process of putting z32 brakes on my car and am not sure if I may have done something incorrectly.

I noticed one of my rear wheels seems more "pushed out" from the hub. It seems that my wheel is positive offset by about an inch or so in the outwards direction.

S14 SE.
Using all stock S14 parts except the Z32 ebrake assembly, caliper, and rotor. Is this normal for my wheel to be about an inch further from the car? Is this because the new ebrake assembly and rotor need more space or did I just do something wrong?

I checked and didnt see any gaps so I am unsure of why this happened.

(I have only done one rear wheel so far)
imbored205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:10 AM   #20253
cRazyfRicti0n

Trader Rating: (0)
cRazyfRicti0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help identifying these wheels , they are pretty serious.

i have spent hours looking for these wheels and the closest iv come is
asanti af132 wheels but they are only offered i chrome not black chrome.
they are forged 3 piece 18x11 front and 19x13 rear. 5x120 bolt pattern and there are absolutely no stamps on them anywhere which leads me to believe maybe they were custom made to order. cant stamp an ET on a face if you havnt built the wheel yet type deal. they will be on the higher end side of rims or highest. i got them with another set that turned out to be GFG giovanna calisix wheels off a lambo.worth around 6000 USD. it wont let me upload pictures and the image host url is not working but here is the gallery. black ones are the ones that need identifying. calisix are there also.

http://postimg.org/gallery/2a4i8ynm6/

thanks and good luck!
cRazyfRicti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:51 AM   #20254
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
Since driving with the windows down is a "240 thing", how will that affect the interior's condition? I would presume it would raise humidity. Would the gel beans absorb humidity faster to "wear out" sooner? I cant remember the last time I drove without lowering my windows.

Follow-up question, is there anyway to prevent like a oily type build up on the interior glass windows? Iirc thats oils from the interior plastics and suede being released from the heat of the sun shining through the window.
The coolest thing about the gel is it is recyclable by 'cooking' back down to it's dryer state.
As to build up on windows, can't tell you because my habit(when not running on AC Delco's as in my photo) is to clean my car every Friday after work, or Thursday evening after work. This is inclusive of cleaning the windows, putting leather and vinyl conditioner(same thing used on leather jackets, LEXOL) on the dash, door panels, trim panels, vacuuming all the soft surfaces, then spraying a bit of home use scent into the seats before wiping with a dry towel.
When I bought my car, it had sat for a year. It reeked of old water, and older gear oil. Now it smells like a Hawaiian gun range with a mix of 'tropic air' scent, and Hoppes No9(from the 45)
Old 09-26-2016, 04:55 AM   #20255
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Now it smells like a Hawaiian gun range with a mix of 'tropic air' scent, and Hoppes No9(from the 45)
So heaven does have a smell.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #20256
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored205 View Post
I am in the process of putting z32 brakes on my car and am not sure if I may have done something incorrectly.

I noticed one of my rear wheels seems more "pushed out" from the hub. It seems that my wheel is positive offset by about an inch or so in the outwards direction.

S14 SE.
Using all stock S14 parts except the Z32 ebrake assembly, caliper, and rotor. Is this normal for my wheel to be about an inch further from the car? Is this because the new ebrake assembly and rotor need more space or did I just do something wrong?

I checked and didnt see any gaps so I am unsure of why this happened.

(I have only done one rear wheel so far)
When you installed the brakes, did you touch the bolts for any of the control arms at all? They're eccentric alignment bolts and it's common for people to unknowingly change their alignment.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #20257
imbored205
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
imbored205 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by David48 View Post
When you installed the brakes, did you touch the bolts for any of the control arms at all? They're eccentric alignment bolts and it's common for people to unknowingly change their alignment.
No. I used a hub puller so I did not need to touch any thing else.

Basically this
http://www.jull.net/s14-s15-tech-guides/z32-rear-brakes

1. Remove axle/hub nut
2. Remove the 4 bolts connecting the hub and knuckle
3. Use hub puller to pull hub off
4. put on ebrake assembly
5. put hub back on
6. put rotors and calipers on

Also my new problem after putting all the brakes on and bleeding them is the pedal drops to the floor and stiffens on the last inch. S14 SE w/ABS and stock 15/16 master cylinder.

It feels like a normal pedal with the car off but once you start the engine, it sinks. I drove around the neighborhood at no more than 20mph to see if a little driving would change anything, but it did not.

I do not see any leaks so I will try bleeding the brakes again to see if anything changes. The calipers are also on the correct side with the bleeder valve on the top.

Last edited by imbored205; 09-26-2016 at 06:36 PM..
imbored205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #20258
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Small Questions Thread (SEARCH FIRST! Use this instead of making NEW threads)

This is more of just a factoid question for anyone who knows, im not looking for stock 180 or silvia exhaust or anything like that.

Was the stock exhaust on S13"s in nippon the same exhaust we got here in the states? With The tiny little 2 pipe muffler? Was the piping size the same?

Just wondering, cuz im thinking they would have made the exhaust for the turbo cars have better flow. That makes more sense for it not to make a bunch of backpressure and stuff, but it would be cool to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:16 AM   #20259
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
This is more of just a factoid question for anyone who knows, im not looking for stock 180 or silvia exhaust or anything like that.

Was the stock exhaust on S13"s in nippon the same exhaust we got here in the states? With The tiny little 2 pipe muffler? Was the piping size the same?

Just wondering, cuz im thinking they would have made the exhaust for the turbo cars have better flow. That makes more sense for it not to make a bunch of backpressure and stuff, but it would be cool to know

Cat Back, all S-Chassis received the same basic Bosol, or Calsonic exhaust we have on our USDM cars as thy were made at the same plants, with only engines, ecu's and cat forward being different( a few generic things lik radiators, again, bosol or calsonic, are different as well). As there were more interior options and a few exterior options available in Japan, we see those as well.

I kinda had this little issue when I was looking for a 240SX S14. I knew the cars were Silvia's, due to a good friend having one in Hawaii. Japanse, RHD, grey market car, brand new 1995 model year 1996, in white. Day two mods were a simple DTM muffler, and a full set of 5 spoke wheels by some company called NISMO. Doing as much research as I could on the car(nerd level here, trivia and all, while going to college), I found out the car was called a 240SX here. Found my first zenki here, popped the hood looking for a SR20 and instead found a 'truck' motor that was indeed NOT a truck motor. Manufactured in Japan, the 240SX DOHC has a cradle on the main caps, good shit to make it tough, but a disappointment for anyone looking for a turbo sr20det...back to the books to go deeper into USDM and now it;s a pain in the ass because of all thee BS in my head

Funny thing is, my son has a kouki...with his favorite muffler, a DTM
Old 09-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #20260
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
dallaschristman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm doing the my first ever five-speed swap on my hatch. But I have a question about the driveshaft.

I have the full automatic driveshaft, and my buddy told me that I can take the front half of a manual shaft that he has and it'll be the right size. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I was going to take it and have it made into a one piece but I wanted to make sure it would the right size.
dallaschristman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #20261
jared420sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jared420sx is on the path to ruinjared420sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Z33 clutch, rb25 fly wheel on a sr20? Will it work?
jared420sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #20262
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschristman View Post
I'm doing the my first ever five-speed swap on my hatch. But I have a question about the driveshaft.

I have the full automatic driveshaft, and my buddy told me that I can take the front half of a manual shaft that he has and it'll be the right size. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I was going to take it and have it made into a one piece but I wanted to make sure it would the right size.
save yourself the headache and just buy a 5 spd drive shaft. seriously... youre in for a world of annoyance breaking 2 drive shafts apart and rigging them together, nevermind youll pay $50-$100 once finished to have it properly balanced (you will NEED to have this done or risk the driveshaft vibrating itself apart).

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #20263
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared420sx View Post

Can I ask why you'd want this?

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #20264
jared420sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jared420sx is on the path to ruinjared420sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
In a effort to not waste money on things i already have that might be salvageable
jared420sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #20265
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
instead of ghetto rigging your clutch setup... do it right the FIRST time and just buy an SR clutch kit, and while youre at it, replace all of the hydraulic components as well and never worry about taking your transmission off again!

its a bit of a pinch, but in the long run its SO worth it!

Old 09-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #20266
black'N'proud
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
black'N'proud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I know this has been discussed before and the fsm pretty much covers it very well but I'm still having trouble setting my timing to 15* btc. When I have the timing gun aimed at the crank the timing marks can't even been seen until I fully advance the cam angle sensor, not sure what I'm doing wrong. Even though I have the marks on the cam angle sensor aligned, could I just be installing the cas to far advanced/ retarded? Also is there a faster way to set the engine to tdc with the timing chain aligned with the marks on the cam sprockets? It just takes forever to get everything lined up again. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #20267
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Small Questions Thread (SEARCH FIRST! Use this instead of making NEW threads)

It only takes a maximum of 4 engine rotations to get to TDC on the compression stroke.

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 PM   #20268
Young Sileighty Kev
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
Young Sileighty Kev is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Car: 1991 240sx ka24de
Problem:
Smoke is appearing around the 02 sensor area. I changed it already but smoke still appears, white smoke. Not a lot but it just keeps coming. Also the car starts to bog and want to die once it's fully warm. What are some stuff I should look into? I can't find nothing or know anyone with similar issue
Young Sileighty Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:26 AM   #20269
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
How's the coolant look? Low? Bubbling when running? Brown?
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:28 AM   #20270
Young Sileighty Kev
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
Young Sileighty Kev is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
How's the coolant look? Low? Bubbling when running? Brown?
Looks brand new still, not bubbling and car is not overheating
Young Sileighty Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #20271
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared420sx View Post
Not in a million years. RB flywheel has 6 bolts to the crank, SR has 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black'N'proud View Post
I know this has been discussed before and the fsm pretty much covers it very well but I'm still having trouble setting my timing to 15* btc. When I have the timing gun aimed at the crank the timing marks can't even been seen until I fully advance the cam angle sensor, not sure what I'm doing wrong. Even though I have the marks on the cam angle sensor aligned, could I just be installing the cas to far advanced/ retarded? Also is there a faster way to set the engine to tdc with the timing chain aligned with the marks on the cam sprockets? It just takes forever to get everything lined up again. Thanks in advance for your help
You're probably stabbing the cas off one tooth. Also, I hope you don't mean you're constantly spinning the crank until the marks on the chain match the marks on the sprocket. It takes like a million rotations to get them to line up again. Just make sure the timing mark on the crank is where it's supposed to be and that the timing marks on the sprockets are where they're supposed to be. Don't worry about the marks on the chain, they're only there for when you take the chain off and are initially setting it back on.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #20272
black'N'proud
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
black'N'proud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by David48 View Post
Not in a million years. RB flywheel has 6 bolts to the crank, SR has 8.

You're probably stabbing the cas off one tooth. Also, I hope you don't mean you're constantly spinning the crank until the marks on the chain match the marks on the sprocket. It takes like a million rotations to get them to line up again. Just make sure the timing mark on the crank is where it's supposed to be and that the timing marks on the sprockets are where they're supposed to be. Don't worry about the marks on the chain, they're only there for when you take the chain off and are initially setting it back on.
Thanks for the advice, I think my problem was I have a redtop sr20 and the markings on the cam angle sensor are "backwards" compared to all the write ups I've seen. After installing the cas I aimed the timing gun it shows it dead on at 15* but when tap the throttle the timing goes way off. When I try to set the timing I can't advance or retard the cas enough to get it back to 15* could my cas still be installed wrong?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #20273
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by black'N'proud View Post
Thanks for the advice, I think my problem was I have a redtop sr20 and the markings on the cam angle sensor are "backwards" compared to all the write ups I've seen. After installing the cas I aimed the timing gun it shows it dead on at 15* but when tap the throttle the timing goes way off. When I try to set the timing I can't advance or retard the cas enough to get it back to 15* could my cas still be installed wrong?
That just sounds like you're having a hard time getting it to lock itself into timing mode. Can take a few times to get it to lock at 15° and stop wandering. Driving around 15 minutes or so usually helps to get everything all warmed up so it will lock.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #20274
Walkerbondd
Leaky Injector

Walkerbondd is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright so I've got a wiring problem causing a parasitic draw. The battery dies after about 3-4 days of sitting but I have narrowed it down the s14 SE alarm system. When I pull the alarm relay the draw stops and the battery retains its power. But the problem is that the SE alarm system contains the ignition wire causing me to not be able to start the car with the relay out. Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Walkerbondd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #20275
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

bypass the ignition wire in the alarm system straight to the ECU... done!

Old 09-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #20276
Walkerbondd
Leaky Injector

Walkerbondd is an unknown quantity at this point
s14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
bypass the ignition wire in the alarm system straight to the ECU... done!
Thanks for the fast reply! So since the whole alarm circuit is essentially "open" what you're saying is to just close the Ignition wire and leave the rest of the circuit open? If anyone has done this on their s14 please PM me which wire it is and where you did it. Thanks!
Walkerbondd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #20277
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

i dunno man, just guessing. pull the relay and by pass the ignition wire from the alarm and go directly to the ECU... see what happens?

Old 09-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #20278
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
ECU vs Chassis ground for the TPS, does it matter?
Old 09-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #20279
Yeg180sx

Yeg180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
HI I just wanted some insight on something befor I replace it. If my terms aren't on point I'm sorry.

I lost my clutch yesterday, figured it could use a bleeding. Once under the car I noticed that the arm that goes from the slave to inside my 5speed trans and pushes my throw bearing was just hanging there. Once I pulled the rubber boot and looked inside I noticed that the little bolt/nipple thing that sits behind the push arm was snapped right off and the nipple part is stuck in the arm. So it's not being held in place for it to be pressured up when I push my clutch. I have a spare trans with this nipple bolt thing on it. I believe I can replace it without dropping the trans. My question is, is there something else inside my trans I can't see that would cause this to break or damaged something else when it broke. I just don't want to replace it with the one from my back up if it's just going to break the new one I install an put me back to square one but with no spare part.

Thanks for any input on this, it'll be very much appreciated
Yeg180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #20280
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

you need to remove the tranny to replace the pivot bolt.... while you have the tranny off, it would be a good idea to replace all of the hydraulic system parts since youll have access to them! but if you only want to fix what broke, heres the pivot ball...

http://www.frsport.com/OEM-Clutch-Pi...Fc1bfgodIjEIrA

however it might be a good idea just upgrade to the NISMO unit since its a stronger pivot ball... handy if you have and upgraded clutch or plan on going that route one day

http://www.frsport.com/Nismo-30537-R...4_p_12500.html

Or if you broke your slave cylinder pin, youll need a brand new slave cylinder unit... this is for KA24de and SR20det (larger piston size than KA24e). this can be replaced without removing the trans

http://www.frsport.com/3-4-Clutch-Sl...FZFufgod3-IO6w