Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #181
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
KansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Got some HID's in today from AeroDesigns here on zilvia, they're 6k single beam kits great price and got here in about 3 days once shipped. They look kinda blue in the pics but they are a white with a hint of blue in person,

the setup

Passenger side hid, drivers side non

now both hid,

also got the new rims in, yeah they look almost identical to my current rims but they're 18x9 +15's, hit them with a coat of silver metallic, they look a lot better in person then on pics, there's a ton of overspray on them still lol. Tires should be in monday and we'll see how they look. Going 225/35 and 225/40, want the 35 series for steering clearance and the 40 series for gear ratio.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #182
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Keeping with the theme you should have hit the wheels with some John Deere yellow ahaha.

towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:37 AM   #183
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

KansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud of
haha thought about it lol but did throw a splash of yellow with the brakes lol

So far the hydro handle with the z32 rears works better, for some reason when I touch the footbrake, then get on the hydro it grabs really hard, but if I haven't touched the foot brake and then use the hydro handle it works ok, fine with a twitch. I'm thinking I'm still going to have to bleed it up a bit different.

Here's a few pics of the wheels mounted and then a couple of the brakes, I'll be sure to grab a better pic when the weather is better lol. Going down to PGP this saturday for a drift event, should get some pics and footage.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #184
spent27
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
spent27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do your gauges work? I just got speedo/tach working today... It took me awhile/alotta research so I wouldn't be suprised if you've had troubles too... Also, what does yours idle at? Have you had any problems with the car cutting off?
spent27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #185
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

oohh I'd like to hear how you got the tach and speedo to work haha, I've not got either going yet, I've got the msd box for the tach but haven't sat down to figure out which wire it is that I need to use for the coil pack powers. I've figured out it's white/blue stripe but not sure where I can tap into it before it splits to all the coilpacks.

On the other hand I headed by the PGP track again and had a blast. Tore through a set of tires and made it back in one piece so it's a good day lol.

Got unloaded and swapped rear tires,

Got inline

And hit some corners

Also got my new helmet painted,

Looks better in person, also driver and ride along approved haha
Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #186
97240TB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
97240TB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those wheels look so much better than the bronze one's, You need to slam this car and get spacers or something! lol
Old 03-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #187
spent27
Leaky Injector

Actually the blue/white wire is the shared 12v source for the entite ignition circuit so that wouldn't work. Each coil is 3 wires, Ground, Signal, and Pwr. Blue/White is power and black is obviously ground. The signal wire is going to be the only unique wire per each given coil. The signal is faint, but grapping it from that signal wire works for me. I'm using a Dakota Digital Tach Interface box and I adjusted accordingly to drive my tach. I'm pretty sure that the signal wires for the fuel injectors would be a better source because they run on a higher volt signal but I've got it working so I'm not going to mess with it unless it gives me trouble.

As for speedo, since there is no VSS in the VQ tranny, you have to have a different source for speed. I'm using a J30 Diff with the ABS sensor that was attached. The ABS sensor outputs a squarewave whereas the original input for the speedo was a sine wave. The Dig Dak Speedo converter took care of altering the signal accordingly.

If you get to a point where you're serious about hooking them up, let me know I'll can elaborate more on which wires to use etc and setting up the Dak Digi boxes. I know you said you used Zfever for your wiring but I can tell you know, they don't want to help you out worth shit after they get your money. I had them flash my ECU to get mine running and did the wiring myself. I called and asked where they were getting their tach signal from and they said they would tell me for a fee, freakin ridiculous... just gave you 500 of my dollars and you're going to charge me for a damn tach signal source? Jeeses... I'm tempted to post up my VQ wiring diagram to spite them ><
Old 03-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #188
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Dig dak? or DAKota DIGital ?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #189
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Yeah lol Zfever turned out to be a bit of a hassle, everytime I would call or anything it was they were too busy, or blah blah blah. They're actually the ones who told me to run this msd tach box that is supposed to use the ign power for all the coil packs and get the signal from that. When I called back and asked about it they just said "we never would of told anyone that, we only run d.d. boxes". Yeah then why the hell did I buy the msd box that I was told to buy? That'll probably be my last experience with Zfever.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll just have to grab a D.D. box instead, this msd one I even called msd on and they couldn't tell me crap about what to use, basically only told me what I already knew.

Here's a few more pics though I found haha

Guess the yellow brakes weren't so bad haha

Smoke on a wet track, alright!

This one is actually a tandem, kinda hard to see the other car but he's there lol

Here's a small vid on inside the car, it was puring rain so not much outside footy but you can see where the hydro handle is very nice to have now lol
YouTube - Ricky Henderson PGP Winter Series 2011 Round #3 In-Car
Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #190
spent27
Leaky Injector

Seriously, let me know I'll gladly help you out!!

It's the least I could do for all of this eye candy you're sharing with us Gorgeous car !!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #191
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
awesome ur putting it too work!

hellz yeah!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #192
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiDrifter View Post
Yeah lol Zfever turned out to be a bit of a hassle, everytime I would call or anything it was they were too busy, or blah blah blah. They're actually the ones who told me to run this msd tach box that is supposed to use the ign power for all the coil packs and get the signal from that. When I called back and asked about it they just said "we never would of told anyone that, we only run d.d. boxes". Yeah then why the hell did I buy the msd box that I was told to buy? That'll probably be my last experience with Zfever.
Good info on that company.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 AM   #193
shreeveco
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
shreeveco is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

shreeveco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #194
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Thanks for the pics! It was a wet one haha
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #195
Rezist89
Leaky Injector

Rezist89 is an unknown quantity at this point
digging it
Rezist89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #196
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Here's a vid from that pgp envent, figure I'll throw them up haha

PGP March on Vimeo

Here's a in car we did, can see my steering wheel's bent lol

YouTube - Ricky Henderson PGP Winter Series 2011 Round #3 In-Car

And a few more shots, I thought were awesome

Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #197
2slow2go
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i think i figured out what doesn't look right with your car...

the black roof and side pillars in the rear quarter windows throws it off. you needa paint the whole thing one color.. this isnt no donk or something.

2slow2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #198
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

lol, I actually like the two tone haha. It breaks up the green a bit. I think it'd look a lot better with a wing though, I've been debating on like a Origin carbon gt wing or the wing I really want is the Uras type gt drag wing, but shipping is more then what the wing costs lol.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #199
SKINNY D

SKINNY D is an unknown quantity at this point
hey im starting this swap in a week or so and im just letting you know that this entire thread has been fantastic!!!! thanks for being so thorough!

zfever for the harness and nothing else huh?
SKINNY D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #200
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
since you are in florida they are local for you.
in california there is a couple of people i would trust doing the harness
Old 04-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #201
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Thanks, yeah I tried to show what I was doing. Definitely a fun engine choice in a s chassis and I've driven all types, my all around favorite so far. It's a nice balance, the LS1 had too much torque not enough rev, the sr has no torque but great rev, the vq is right in between. Could use a set of cams for a touch more top end but I also will try doing some longer rear gears first.

At the time z fever was the only ones that I found that could do it and I just wanted it done right I didn't want a maybe harness haha. But now I'm sure there's plenty of others who have figured it out. Especially if your close to them you can keep tabs on your stuff.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #202
SKINNY D

yeah thanks... i have found a vq for 800, a tranny for 350... all the misc things except for shifter bracket, and flywheel for like 800... i will be surprised if i tap into the 3 thousand range... and my buddy is making mounts with/for me, so those will be just material cost. and i have this thread to reference... is pretty thorough. and im happy you like it the way you do, because i dont want to swap something in and hate it. i had a really nice sr a while back but since then i have been wanting to go bigger. nahmean!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #203
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
2 Quick question guys: Any idea why it is that just about every VQ swap thread uses custom mounts instead of the prefabbed kit from Mckinney Motorsports? Is there something wrong with their kit?

And there are some nightmare threads about experiences with Z-Fever... Is that all water under the bridge? So they're cool now?
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #204
ecliptic240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ecliptic240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When I finally source a good wrecked Z, along with the money to buy said Z, i'll be using the mckinney mounts. They've done good with RB mounts why not the VQ?
ecliptic240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #205
SKINNY D

see, i will be making/having custom mounts made too, because with the vq it seems that everything clears, and you wont need some crazy ass headers to fit. so that being said mounts seem easy enough to save that 500 bucks and put into something else such as the wiring harness conversion. you know what i mean. and zfever... idk about them but they are local for me so they will be receiving my business.

or maybe vq swappers are the more do it yourselfers of the drift community and we just dont settle for standard... lol
Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #206
vboy720
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
vboy720 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vboy720
watching the in car video, it looks like your wheel is lopsided.
vboy720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #207
Nick_04K
Zilvia Junkie

Nick_04K is an unknown quantity at this point
^ Yeah, it is. He said his wheel is bent earlier.

I love this car! My only wish is for it to be painted one color. Red! No black roof.

More vids with engine noise too please haha.
Nick_04K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #208
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY D View Post
see, i will be making/having custom mounts made too, because with the vq it seems that everything clears, and you wont need some crazy ass headers to fit. so that being said mounts seem easy enough to save that 500 bucks and put into something else such as the wiring harness conversion. you know what i mean.

or maybe vq swappers are the more do it yourselfers of the drift community and we just dont settle for standard... lol
From what I gather from this thread, the Mckinney mounts let the motor sit as low as possible. Great from a weight distribution point of view, but not so great for clearing front sway bars & steering racks. Not sure if this is true or not, but I wanna see how bad it is & what the real issue is on why ppl aren't using this kit or doing more VQ swaps. Doesn't seem that prohibitively expensive...
Old 04-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #209
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Yeah I did custom mounts just because I wanted to save the moolah and had the materials/time to do them. I would run the mckinney mounts if I did it again and budgeted for them. Their headers are nice too, but pricey for me, although vq's with full length headers and exhaust sound amazing! If you're worried about the sway bar, I'd budget for the sikky swap bar, it'll clear way easier and is a nice bar with nice links for the price.

I have mixed reviews on zfever, my experience is that the ecu and harness worked just fine, I did extend the throttle wires just for routing easier but that's the only mod to either. They are a bit swamped with orders when I had mine done and seemed like they need better organization skills. The odd thing was they told me on the phone to buy the msd tach driver. I get one, play with it, haven't made it work very well yet and called them back to have them tell me that I shouldn't have bought that and instead should buy the dakota digital, and denied that they told me to buy the msd.... I've tried calling msd to no help they're clueless on the 350z. I've figured it out to tracking the white/blue stripe wire back to where it starts and interrupting it there to see if it'll work.

lol yeah my poor steering wheel haha! If I keep the car I'll be upgrading that haha.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #210
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Ahhh man, thanks! Thats precisely the info I wanted to know... +1000000000 for you!

I reread the another recent VQ35(HR) swap thread & apparently the steering column shaft needed to be relocated closer to the frame rail to clear the starter. But that doesn't seem to be an issued caused by the mounts, sooo.... seems like the McKinneys are probably a safe bet after all. I just wanna actually see a build thread where someone uses them...