Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #2251
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
Those first 2 photos look really good but how's the penetration?
The shape of the bead (concave) and the discoloration of the base metal tells me that's it's probably great, and looks even across the weld as well - I'm far from an expert though...

I agree about the thick stuff being more enjoyable, I feel so good when I'm welding 1/8"+ cause I can pour so much heat into the material and go slow, and get some nice looking welds lol.

Too much of what I've done is sheet metal - all my welds are functional, but only about half are good looking enough to show off lol.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #2252
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just got done mocking up WG

S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #2253
helladudebro

Trader Rating: (0)
helladudebro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hey guys sorry i dont have anything to post up...yet. im about to start a welding class at my college and need some opinions on welding helmets/jackets. anyone have any good recommendations for someone just starting? I welded in high school but all the gear was supplied.

pics of my hopefully awesome welds to come!

oh first post too
helladudebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #2254
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by helladudebro View Post
hey guys sorry i dont have anything to post up...yet. im about to start a welding class at my college and need some opinions on welding helmets/jackets. anyone have any good recommendations for someone just starting? I welded in high school but all the gear was supplied.

oh first post too
Nice first post! lol. College should have welding aprons or something like that... canvas (jeans material) works well, and is cheap. I usually only wear something other than just gloves and a helmet if I'm welding in a really tight spot and don't want to get burned like crazy.

For helmets, I got a Harbor Freight auto-dimming one for free, it's actually totally decent. Lens is replaceable and the dimming speed and intensity is adjustable. Retails for $50... if you think you're going to be welding for a bit, definitely look into some nicer ones, if just for comparison's sake.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #2255
helladudebro

yea usually id just wear a sweat shirt or something (i know not the smartest thing to do) but a leather jacket is required.

also i am going to be buying a welder of my own in the next couple months so id like to get a helmet that is decent but not to expensive.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #2256
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
I've used the harbor freight one and for 50$ I honestly couldn't complain as it did it's job pretty good however the thing I didn't like about it was that the face part just seems to stick out pretty far. I used a different mask that my school had and I was able to get into tighter spots and look at my welds closer, since I was TIG welding a chasis and the tubing can create some small spaces to work in.

I heard these are really great, obviously because they're miller but just the overall use of it.

Miller - Performance™ Series Welding Helmets

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #2257
drftmark
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
drftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Question:

I had to leave my 220v mig at my other house.

New house does not have a welder, but Harbor Freight has a 110v mig for less than $80.

Just really want it to weld a camera bracket on my cage to film in-cabin runs and for exhaust and other misc brackets. Will this cut it?

I would also like to be able to weld aluminum pipe, but a mig setup for aluminum costs a lot of money. So if I bought a stick welder instead can they even weld aluminum? I thought I remembered seeing some AL sticks at tractor supply one time, and no, not those propane torch AL sticks.
drftmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #2258
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
we just finished of a twin scroll turbo kit 2day so thought i would post up some pictures of it

turned out very nice
merge collector manifold
runners are pretty close to being the same length
twin tial external gates

anyways ill let the pictures do the rest of the talking

STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:36 AM   #2259
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
interesting, do the wastegates operate any differently being further apart (stupid question maybe)
Old 09-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #2260
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
not that i know of
we have done a few setups and neva had any boost control problems
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #2261
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftmark View Post
Question:

I had to leave my 220v mig at my other house.

New house does not have a welder, but Harbor Freight has a 110v mig for less than $80.

Just really want it to weld a camera bracket on my cage to film in-cabin runs and for exhaust and other misc brackets. Will this cut it?

I would also like to be able to weld aluminum pipe, but a mig setup for aluminum costs a lot of money. So if I bought a stick welder instead can they even weld aluminum? I thought I remembered seeing some AL sticks at tractor supply one time, and no, not those propane torch AL sticks.
Skip the Harbor Freght welder...you will hate it. Stick with the name brands...Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, Esab...ect. You will thank me.

Welding Aluminum is tricky work with anything other than TIG. Spool guns are nice for heavy work, but require a ton of power, not realy 110v friendly.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #2262
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helladudebro View Post

oh first post too
lol supplies I just wear a tshirt and a lincoln auto dark I know its really bad for me but o well
Old 09-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #2263
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You get used to the splatter burns eventually.

I just wear gloves and a auto-dark helmet.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #2264
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
You get used to the splatter burns eventually.

I just wear gloves and a auto-dark helmet.
Yup you just get use to it and dont burn. But for the love of god do not get flash burn.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #2265
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
^If you guys aren't covering up bare skin, you guys are idiots. Whether you burn or not.

It's probably one of the DUMBEST things ANY welder can do.

I've been doing this for 6-7 years. I NEVER go uncovered. Even when it's +60*C (we have unbelievably high humidity where I live. Enough to add over 10*C) in the shop.

I don't always wear my stupid heavy leather jacket. When I'm doing light stuff I put on a t-shirt, work shirt, and then some light leather sleeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Skip the Harbor Freght welder...you will hate it. Stick with the name brands...Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, Esab...ect. You will thank me.

Welding Aluminum is tricky work with anything other than TIG. Spool guns are nice for heavy work, but require a ton of power, not realy 110v friendly.
Quoted for truth!

When I've done MIG aluminum it's never been on a power source LESS than 460v (used up to a 575v plug!!!!). Yeah... that's a big ass plug.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #2266
helladudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_Kouki View Post
lol supplies I just wear a tshirt and a lincoln auto dark I know its really bad for me but o well
yea like i said i would just wear a sweatshirt to cover up up with but its required for the class.

anyone else have any opinions?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #2267
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
^As long as all your exposed skin is covered up by something relatively thick, you'll be okay.

If you weld with exposed skin. You're asking for burns. And they are FAR WORSE than any sun burn. (Or so I'm told. i've never had a sun burn :S ).
And it's a real easy way to develop skin cancer. The choice is yours. I prefer not to have skin cancer. the shit you breath in from welding is harmful enough as it is.

Read the box your welding wire comes in. Most of them have a fairly nasty list of known side effects. Like blindness and s-s-s-s-s-s-s-speech impediments.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #2268
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

I dont weld enough to ever have been burned. Its never been an issue for me. But I'm only using a small mig welder. I live in central florida so I dont want to hear about humidity.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #2269
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
It was my understanding one was to weld butt-naked.... with socks...... mask is optional.
Okay... nuff joking. To me, and what I'm currently being taught, its pretty much a cardinal rule to cover up completely. I suppose if you are very experienced and have complete control/confidence in your work, just a good pair of gloves is fine. Man I am envious of some of the finished products I see in this thread.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #2270
duffman1278
Post Whore!

duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Never again will I weld exposed. Last time I did it was because it was hot. I saw this other dude at school though who was welding with no gloves, jacket, just a t-shirt and pants. Now that I look back I just think he was an idiot even though he had some really nice welds.

As much as those gloves and leather jackets bug, it's so worth it, I burned myself already once on a hot metal tube I was welding and that was not fun. Live and learn, always wear protection!

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #2271
KA-T_240
Nissanaholic!

KA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond repute
Welding helmets, who wears those?
Old 09-27-2009, 12:25 AM   #2272
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
So the lesson of the day is. . .

No love with out the glove

and jacket
and mask

and pants
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #2273
yokotas13
Post Whore!

yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
so i have a project upcoming.

gotta raise the inner fender rail. any suggestions on thickness to use?
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #2274
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokotas13 View Post

Cool project

On S-chassis, usually those sections are between .040" and .060", depending on how many sheets are pinch-welded together. I'd say to replace it with approx the same thickness, .060" is overkill for just about anything.

.060" mild steel is very easy to weld and work with, shouldn't have any problems. Just try and get both sides of the frame rail clean of underbody coating/dirt/etc (I use a flap wheel whenever possible) before you weld and you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #2275
yokotas13
Post Whore!

yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
awesome, thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #2276
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
^If you guys aren't covering up bare skin, you guys are idiots. Whether you burn or not.

It's probably one of the DUMBEST things ANY welder can do.
Like I said O well

Quote:

Is this what you have already got done??
Old 09-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #2277
yokotas13
Post Whore!

nooooo. thats what i need to replicate
Old 09-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #2278
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
nooooo. thats what i need to replicate
oooooooo well good luck man looks fun
Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #2279
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

in other news I finished up the srt 4 DP

Then the microwave caught on fire ahahahahahahah

Then we fab up these sweet ass stickers lol

Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #2280
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

I'm working on making a seat for my friends 73 CB350 Cafe Racer.