Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #2281
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
I'm working on making a seat for my friends 73 CB350 Cafe Racer.
Any pics???
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #2282
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
93nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
maybe its just me and the fact i daily my car and such. but seeing a rail choped and patched like that just makes me cringe.. i realize its for a reason yes. but if he get hit hes fucked.. i unno. thats just me i guess. and when im welding, im still learning, but im always covered. helmet, gloves, jacket. the whole thing man. not worth not having it in my opinion
Old 09-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #2283
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_Kouki View Post
Any pics???
None yet, I'll get some as it comes along. I'm not sure how this one is going to turn out. I might re-make it and change the design a little. We'll see.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #2284
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93nismo View Post
maybe its just me and the fact i daily my car and such. but seeing a rail choped and patched like that just makes me cringe.. i realize its for a reason yes. but if he get hit hes fucked.. i unno. thats just me i guess. and when im welding, im still learning, but im always covered. helmet, gloves, jacket. the whole thing man. not worth not having it in my opinion
Wait, so you think that:
1) Grant's car won't see street use?

and

2) That frame modification makes the car less safe?

How is he "fucked" if he gets hit? The frame is now fully boxed, instead of having two creases pinched and spot-welded, it's much more resistant to deflection/deformation on all axis from what I can see, especially laterally from "getting hit".

Just saying, just because the welding job wasn't pretty doesn't mean it's not a structural improvement overall.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #2285
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Wait, so you think that:
1) Grant's car won't see street use?

and

2) That frame modification makes the car less safe?

How is he "fucked" if he gets hit? The frame is now fully boxed, instead of having two creases pinched and spot-welded, it's much more resistant to deflection/deformation on all axis from what I can see, especially laterally from "getting hit".

Just saying, just because the welding job wasn't pretty doesn't mean it's not a structural improvement overall.
i guess i should have explained more. i dident mean to say his wouldent see street use at all. and im sure his welding was great. no it dident lok pretty but that dosent mean it dident do the job. what i ment was this:

by changing the factory way the rail was created may, quote May, interfear with certain things like crush zones and other parts of the structure of the car possibly makeing it not do its job in an accident. the rail was made that way for a reason. be it simplicity and the fact that it was easy to do, or that it effects the way the structure will act during a collision. its not smart doing stuff like that to rails simply because it changes how the car will react in an accident. so if its weaker, wich i doubt it is in his car, it will crush easier meaning it will probably effect the passenge area of the car. and if its stronger then it should be, it may not bend, kink, or crush at all. makeing the passenger area more vaulnerable to getting smashed together. either way itl effect the way the car performs in a hard hit. its just not as safe is basicly what im saying.

i dident mean to sound like i was telling him he did a shity job or anything. as far as the weld itself, looks a hell of alot better then my overhead welds right now. i unno, i guess its just not something id consider doing to my car.

sorry for the bad spelling, hope all that made sense.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #2286
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
i guess i should have explained more. i dident mean to say his wouldent see street use at all. and im sure his welding was great. no it dident lok pretty but that dosent mean it dident do the job. what i ment was this:

by changing the factory way the rail was created may, quote May, interfear with certain things like crush zones and other parts of the structure of the car possibly makeing it not do its job in an accident. the rail was made that way for a reason. be it simplicity and the fact that it was easy to do, or that it effects the way the structure will act during a collision. its not smart doing stuff like that to rails simply because it changes how the car will react in an accident. so if its weaker, wich i doubt it is in his car, it will crush easier meaning it will probably effect the passenge area of the car. and if its stronger then it should be, it may not bend, kink, or crush at all. makeing the passenger area more vaulnerable to getting smashed together. either way itl effect the way the car performs in a hard hit. its just not as safe is basicly what im saying.

i dident mean to sound like i was telling him he did a shity job or anything. as far as the weld itself, looks a hell of alot better then my overhead welds right now. i unno, i guess its just not something id consider doing to my car.

sorry for the bad spelling, hope all that made sense.
Sure, it makes sense! I get this all the time when I tell people my car's fully seam welded - "oh wow, hope you don't get in an accident, it won't crumple!" - I just don't put that much thought/energy into thinking about keeping the car's OEM safety features, which is why I don't have an airbag and don't run the OEM bumper supports. I do, however, keep by door supports, and always wear a seat belt/harness, because I believe both of those things actually can save my life.

Different strokes, I guess. BTW Grant was using a picture he got from someone else, he hasn't actually done the mod yet.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #2287
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Sure, it makes sense! I get this all the time when I tell people my car's fully seam welded - "oh wow, hope you don't get in an accident, it won't crumple!" - I just don't put that much thought/energy into thinking about keeping the car's OEM safety features, which is why I don't have an airbag and don't run the OEM bumper supports. I do, however, keep by door supports, and always wear a seat belt/harness, because I believe both of those things actually can save my life.

Different strokes, I guess. BTW Grant was using a picture he got from someone else, he hasn't actually done the mod yet.
well im glad i cleared that up and such. seam welding probly wont effect it nearly as much as the frame mod that was shown. i guess im just a little more worried about that stuff. and insurence probly wont cover you if you dont have that stuff on to. so i dont have much of an option:P

however, the rail idea does seem very useful... haha
Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #2288
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Made a quick heatshield for my RB HKS manifold:

Not my best welds ever but I'm sure it will hold, hopefully it helps a little with the heat. Comment/suggestions from the fab gurus?
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #2289
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLO*SOS View Post

Not my best welds ever but I'm sure it will hold, hopefully it helps a little with the heat. Comment/suggestions from the fab gurus?
Not bad you should get it powder coated. And personally I would have tiged it
Old 09-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #2290
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

im not sure if this is were i should ask, but has anybody ever had issues with miller welders? i think the one i was useing was the little 110v. not entirely sure tho. it just dident seem to want to coperate with me today. it kept popin and shit. it was dialed in right any everything. even the instructer said he dident know what was up
Old 10-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #2291
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
im not sure if this is were i should ask, but has anybody ever had issues with miller welders? i think the one i was useing was the little 110v. not entirely sure tho. it just dident seem to want to coperate with me today. it kept popin and shit. it was dialed in right any everything. even the instructer said he dident know what was up

Make sure you are welding on something clean. Dirt and other contaminates will make it do that.

Something new we finished the heat shield sorry for the nasty tig welding my partner welded it. We just have to powder coat it now.

My bandsaw its alittle dirty

and the srt new water line/pipe just needs a good polish now.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #2292
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
How much tubing do you guys think I need to make a 6 point cage with door bars?

it will be going in a coupe. I would also like to add a cross bar and x-bar in the rear.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #2293
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinnmiami240sx View Post
How much tubing do you guys think I need to make a 6 point cage with door bars?

it will be going in a coupe. I would also like to add a cross bar and x-bar in the rear.
Something like 50-60 feet
Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #2294
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
I just ordered 100 feet. I could also use a crash bar..muahahaha
Old 10-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #2295
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Just finished up a NA SR manifold for a zilvia member Xpertsnowcerver
Here are the finished pics

Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #2296
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Who do you go thru for your SS bends? Local / any recommendations to an online dealer.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #2297
roco
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
roco is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
some savage work there s14 kouki.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #2298
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

OMFG someone help im trying to find that link to that Baller BMW build.. What page is it on????????????
Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #2299
TIG

TIG is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_Kouki View Post
OMFG someone help im trying to find that link to that Baller BMW build.. What page is it on????????????
Here you go: VWvortex Forums: V10 E30 M3 Build
TIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #2300
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i think he means this one http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/128515...ld-thread.html

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 10-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #2301
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysk8er2 View Post
Thank you both but TIG knows what im talking about thank you
Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #2302
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Started putting my "catback" exhaust together for the 13. Nothing special, 3" mild steel to some blast pipes, tucked as high up as possible.

I had a question though, what can I do to reduce splatter? Basic setup: Gas shield MIG, 30 wire E07S6 on 16ga mild 3" and a 3/8" mild flange. To prep I use wire wheel and/or hand files... Honestly I cut corners on cleaning with brake cleaner, rarely if ever do that... MIG gas is 86/14 ar/co2 mix at ~20cfm.

That is a two-pass weld, but it seems like more splatter than usual.

Exhaust so far...

Last question regarding penetration... Obviously this is "just" an exhaust and super deep penetration isn't really needed. But how does this look? To me it seems like I could have laid into it a little more and/or used a little more heat, but I'm not sure.

Always looking to improve my skills, comments/suggestions always welcome!

How are all the other badass projects in here coming along?!!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #2303
tt99ol
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
tt99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tt99ol
exhaust is looking good
plenty of penetration for an exhaust
you should be fine
maybe turn the feed speed down a tiny bit to get rid of the slag splatter
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #2304
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Thanks for the input I'll give that a shot next time. I honestly didn't tune the machine very well, kind of re-used whatever random settings I had on it before.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #2305
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Started putting my "catback" exhaust together for the 13. Nothing special, 3" mild steel to some blast pipes, tucked as high up as possible.

I had a question though, what can I do to reduce splatter? Basic setup: Gas shield MIG, 30 wire E07S6 on 16ga mild 3" and a 3/8" mild flange. To prep I use wire wheel and/or hand files... Honestly I cut corners on cleaning with brake cleaner, rarely if ever do that... MIG gas is 86/14 ar/co2 mix at ~20cfm.

Always looking to improve my skills, comments/suggestions always welcome!

How are all the other badass projects in here coming along?!!
Lookin good those look like some heavy duty welds lol its all good tho. For your splatter they sale anti splatter spray.

The anti splatter is not 100% but it works and just make sure your pieces are clean. As said before you can play with the wire feed also.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #2306
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

I haven't tried the gel, but I do use the spray regularly. I only use it on the nozzle/cup to prevent slag build up. It works great in there, but how would I apply the aersol to the weld without getting it into the bevel/joint prior to welding? Or is that not an issue? I'd think if it gets into the joint it would cause major problems with the weld.

LOL regarding the welds, I only have the MIG at my house now and the first pass had a few holes due to starts/stops. Threw another bead around it since I didn't want to deal with any leaks. Honestly I've had poor luck with other exhausts cracking so I don't mind if it's a little 'industrial' hahaha. Rest of the exhaust I'll try my best on the TIG. Thanks guys for the tips, I'm just some guy who's teaching himself to weld out of curiosity and desire for self-sufficiency!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #2307
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I haven't tried the gel, but I do use the spray regularly. I only use it on the nozzle/cup to prevent slag build up. It works great in there, but how would I apply the aersol to the weld without getting it into the bevel/joint prior to welding? Or is that not an issue? I'd think if it gets into the joint it would cause major problems with the weld.

LOL regarding the welds, I only have the MIG at my house now and the first pass had a few holes due to starts/stops. Threw another bead around it since I didn't want to deal with any leaks. Honestly I've had poor luck with other exhausts cracking so I don't mind if it's a little 'industrial' hahaha. Rest of the exhaust I'll try my best on the TIG. Thanks guys for the tips, I'm just some guy who's teaching himself to weld out of curiosity and desire for self-sufficiency!
At my old work we had the gel and spray. With the gel you just dip the nozzle right in there then start welding that simple. I just spray the nozzle with it, but it would not hurt if you sprayed the piece. Yes it is industrial lmao but shit thats better then it braking. Your doing good just keep welding and you will perfect the art one day.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #2308
TIG

TIG is an unknown quantity at this point
MELLO*SOS I'm going to pretty much echo what S14 Kouki said. Regarding spatter, at work we use spatter spray regularly on anything thats being MIG welded. We do a lot of projects for the Gov't including Dept. of Defense and Dept of Energy. They were fine with anti-spatter being used on the pieces prior to welding when they certified the project and us.

Penetration looks good, but inconsistent. This is likely due to inconsistent speed which you'll get better at with practice.

Keep up the good work.
TIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #2309
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

TIG and S14 Kouki you guys are great, thanks for the tips. Regarding the spray, you just spray down the piece around the joint and it doesn't matter so much if it gets in the joint? I'm assuming the arc is hot enough to burn that stuff away. Wasn't sure if it would cause any issues with the weld later on. pen. is probably not consistent due to doing several start/stops on the first weld. I am still learning how to walk around the piece for fewer stops

Am I the only one working in the garage? When I log into this thread on Monday I wanna see updates from the other baller projects taking place! haha

Have a good weekend zilvia fabricators!!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #2310
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
TIG and S14 Kouki you guys are great, thanks for the tips. Regarding the spray, you just spray down the piece around the joint and it doesn't matter so much if it gets in the joint? I'm assuming the arc is hot enough to burn that stuff away. Wasn't sure if it would cause any issues with the weld later on. pen. is probably not consistent due to doing several start/stops on the first weld. I am still learning how to walk around the piece for fewer stops

Am I the only one working in the garage? When I log into this thread on Monday I wanna see updates from the other baller projects taking place! haha

Have a good weekend zilvia fabricators!!
Yeah man just spray it on there. No you are not the only one working in the garage heres my set-up. and I will have updates for you monday on a turbo v8 airboat im starting, no joke lol. Theres actually a write up about my work area/garage on my blog Fabthis.com

My awesome matco table and dynasty 200

Table very messy with projects.

My bandsaw (when it was still new)