Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #2461
Patrick Bowering
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Patrick Bowering is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think you will have your question answered alot faster on nrr.
Patrick Bowering is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #2462
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharonna View Post
I just got my Driftworks knuckles in yesterday. I will try to do a decent writeup in the coming weeks. Out of the box everything seems solid, but Ill go more in depth when I put them on.

If anyone wanted these, you should have jumped on the 10% off they had.
What's up with them charging $700 dollars to ship these to the USA? Shipping in UK is only ~$50.

What a fucking rip.

(Sorry if this has already been discussed)
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #2463
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
What's up with them charging $700 dollars to ship these to the USA? Shipping in UK is only ~$50.

What a fucking rip.

The pricing on the website isn't right. If you call shipping is a lot less. az_240 got his for $1100 shipped.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #2464
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post

What a fucking rip.

Let us know if they accommodate the e-brake 'n all the lines. I'm happy with my purchase and have been running them a while. I have the version 1, or the one where they failed to accommodate the z32 ebrake. Btw, if you're interested in sphericals bearings rather than the subpar bushings you can contact tower240sx. Otherwise those bushings should be ok to use.

To the poster that mentioned the moonface roll center adjusters, they do some good if you plan to just keep your car stock. But you can save more money just by raising your car. Just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #2465
lflkajfj12123

lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
The pricing on the website isn't right. If you call shipping is a lot less. az_240 got his for $1100 shipped.
Hey COOL! Thanks for the info that's much more reasonable.
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #2466
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I want PBM's spindles and LCAs front and rear yo
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #2467
mysharonna
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
mysharonna is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I had the same question about shipping when I bought them. I just emailed them and shipping came out to ~$90.

Thanks mmdb, I'll get a hold of him and see what he can do. I was just going to run the stock bushings for a while and then switch them out later to save $ and also to see if they are really that bad for drifting. I imagine for road racing where you are holding a line through a long sweeper you would notice more of a difference.
mysharonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #2468
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Singlecamslam - on this page here: UB Machine Inc.

PN 48-1210

That's the housing you will need for the high misalignment spherical bearing.

Sorry for the late response, but I'm pretty much over cars right now and have barely been on any car websites lately.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #2469
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
Does anyone know what the inner diameter of the rear spindle toe/camber/traction rod mounting points are on Z32 uprights? Like the size of the space the bushing goes in.
Well I happened to have an extra OEM bushing laying around so I measured it. I, unfortunately, have lost my calipers so I had to use a measuring tape. They appear to be ~29-30mm in diameter and obviously they use a 12mm bolt.

Sooooooooo......why wouldn't this work?

Rod Ends

They should fit right in and only require some custom misalignment bushings.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #2470
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Doesnt Def sell a complete rear spindle bearing kit? Or it this just a cheaper alternative, i didnt see a price on the link. Looks very doable
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #2471
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Well I happened to have an extra OEM bushing laying around so I measured it. I, unfortunately, have lost my calipers so I had to use a measuring tape. They appear to be ~29-30mm in diameter and obviously they use a 12mm bolt.

Rod Ends

how you plan to center them in the arms and keep them from moving?

bushing ODs need to be held to .0001" to work.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #2472
ManoNegra

ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
Doesnt Def sell a complete rear spindle bearing kit? Or it this just a cheaper alternative, i didnt see a price on the link. Looks very doable
DefSport/Skullworks Z32 Rear Upright Spherical Bearing GB - Nissan Road Racing Forums

go nuts
Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #2473
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
They're 22 bucks a piece, so $132 for both rear spindles. You wouldn't be able to just slap them in, but maybe something cost effective can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
how you plan to center them in the arms and keep them from moving?

bushing ODs need to be held to .0001" to work.
What do you mean the OD need to be held to .0001 to work?

I figured to center it you could just use two pieces of tubing to make sure its lined up in the middle. Say the hole on the spindle is 30mm wide, the bearing housing is 12mm wide, so two 9mm pieces of tubing made flush with the outside of the spindle hole would mean the bearing was centered. Some red lock tight on those pieces of tubing would help keep the bearing from moving.

Not sure how that idea sounds, but it doesn't seem too terrible. I'm no engineer, just trying to figure out more cost effective ways for people willing to get their hands dirty. No disrespect to Def or Skull Works at all, they make an excellent product. I have their Z32 shock mount sphericals and I love them.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #2474
ManoNegra

Quote:
They're 22 bucks a piece, so $132 for both rear spindles. You wouldn't be able to just slap them in, but maybe something cost effective can be done.
plus the misalignment spacers
don't know if something is available off the shelf that would work

Quote:
What do you mean the OD need to be held to .0001 to work?
first few bushings we made where a few thousands too high on the OD
they warped/crushed when I pressed them in onto the upright

Quote:
Some red lock tight on those pieces of tubing would help keep the bearing from moving.
Loctite 620 is what you what you'd want to use
Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #2475
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Ah I understand now. Thank you for the advice.

The misalignment spacers are the only thing I am still mulling over. My friend's dad owns a machine shop and I can get some stuff made there super cheap. I just have to draw it up in a format they can use.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #2476
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
So, I had a few questions in track. Like, how does it affect the car? What give and take is there from widening or narrowing the track? I ask this because on my Z32 I have pushed out the rear a good amount from stock and the front is pushed out as well, but no where near as much as the rears, when compared to stock. And I'm just trying to see if I'm screwing with something too much and if evening out the change in track, front and rear, would be more ideal.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #2477
nieko
Post Whore!

nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
I think the only real change is your center of gravity.

But i'm sure the other bro's will come in with much more input. haha
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #2478
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
So, I had a few questions in track. Like, how does it affect the car? What give and take is there from widening or narrowing the track? I ask this because on my Z32 I have pushed out the rear a good amount from stock and the front is pushed out as well, but no where near as much as the rears, when compared to stock. And I'm just trying to see if I'm screwing with something too much and if evening out the change in track, front and rear, would be more ideal.
I know the front will affect/increase your scrub radius.

Then, for both, it will increase the leverage on your suspension, effectively altering the motion ratio of your suspension slightly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think it's something to be too worried about in my opinion.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #2479
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:

Rod Ends

I'll save you some time. There's no off the shelf bearing that will fit into the Z32 upright bushing bores.

The misalignment bushings will need to be custom as you're also finding.

It's a lot of machining trying to do it the way you're thinking. I know, I bought the stuff and almost went through with it. Easier to just get stuff made to work with the stock uprights... which at that point, you might want to look into just buying a set of super sweet RUSBs and making your life easy.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #2480
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Boxed my LCA's today.

Knuckles are next. Just for fun because I'll be ordering DW knuckles in a couple months.

Anyone have any more feedback on whatever setups they have? Alignment tweaks maybe?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #2481
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Boxed my LCA's today.

Knuckles are next. Just for fun because I'll be ordering DW knuckles in a couple months.

Anyone have any more feedback on whatever setups they have? Alignment tweaks maybe?
dont you generally want to remove the bump stop? why did you not box the arms higher up to the bushing? and what thickness you used, looks like 14 gauge to me?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #2482
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

I used 1/8in plate. I don't even know what guage that is hah, but it's basically the same thickness as the control arm.

I wanted the bumpstop just for an extra safetey measure, as I'm pretty low and I don't know where the tie rod end is going to go when I modify the knuckles. I don't really think I'll miss two degrees of steering lock.

Also, I didn't want to heat up the rubber busing too much by welding close to it. If the bushing had been out, I would have welded farther up. They were new control arms and I didn't feel like pressing the bushing out to gain marginally more strength.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #2483
nieko
Post Whore!

nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Soooo

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #2484
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
Ive always wondered how you adjust caster from the shock? seems like it would just make the shock angle different, not actually move the wheel base -/+.
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #2485
nieko
Post Whore!

Bro... Changing the shock angle IS caster. lol
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #2486
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
lolololol, i thought actually moving the wheel base was changing the caster?

im guessing wheel base is another subject. excuse my ignorance.
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #2487
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
On Macphearson strut, the angle of the shock is the caster.
On multilink or double a-arm suspension, the angle of the line through the upper and lower pivot point when compared to a line perpendicular to the floor is your caster angle. The angle of the shock does not affect caster in these two scenarios.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #2488
nieko
Post Whore!

haha simple mistake I suppose.

You are thinking the actual pulling of the wheel forward is the caster.

Pulling the wheel forward, means the shock angle is changing.

haha

Caster, YAY
Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #2489
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (27)
tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Read this thread for more info about caster

For all the latest TF★ news visit our blog!!

tougefactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #2490
Mobne

Trader Rating: (0)
Mobne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I really need this kit for the s13 chassi. When will it be available??

Mobne is offline   Reply With Quote