Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #2491
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Man that IC is beefy as a mutha.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #2492
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
that is badass but why such a big core for the stock twins?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #2493
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
yeah, theres no way that dude has enough air flowing on those stock twins for that to be necessary.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #2494
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
that is badass but why such a big core for the stock twins?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
yeah, theres no way that dude has enough air flowing on those stock twins for that to be necessary.
ROFL, cmon guys, you know mk4 owners....

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #2495
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Thats a huge intercooler. Does the supra have stock turbos??? Are you worryed about pressure drop?? I would be, just my 2 cents.
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #2496
yokotas13
Post Whore!

yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
hey, if anyone wants to do a small side job, please PM me. i need some honda tophats cut and rewelded. i dont trust my own welds with my life!
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #2497
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Car has stock turbos for now, in a couple months I'll be putting on a T78, Power FC, and all other supporting mods.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #2498
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
thats more like it.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #2499
Steve Lloyd
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Steve Lloyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinnmiami240sx View Post

Drill press on special from Harbor freight $59

Harbor freight hydraulic press $129
Ebay 4140 .75 dimple die $40

=

Dope Status Dimples

How thick is the metal you used?????
Steve Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #2500
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like 16ga.

Are those the "whiskyv8" dimples? I have the 7 piece set, they are working pretty well for me. I just bought some gangster hole saws, can't wait to use them for dimples!!

link: http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheetm...olcutters.html

Watch the video, these holcutters are legit.
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #2501
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I'm SO down for those holesaw bits... it seems like the only ones I can find are for wood.

I should get a dimple die set just to mess around with, I've already got a press lol.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #2502
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yup I think I've used every different style hole saw out there before I saw these -- and they all sucked. The best kind out of the 'wood style' are the bimetals, but I've had poor luck with those. They work great for notching roll cage tubing, but for drilling holes in sheetmetal they don't do a clean cut and leave a lot of shit around the edge. Jordan if you're looking for a set of cheap entry-level dimple dies try the ones sold by 'WhiskyV8' on ebay, that's the kit I have and I think the previous guy posting had.. The material isn't as stout as the ones sold by other companies which is why they're cheaper, but they'll work great for hobby use...

These 'holcutter' brand hole saws are from company 'Hougen'. I bought them from Ohio power tool, I made my own custom 7 pc set in 1/2, 3/4, 1", 1.25", 1.5", 1.75", 2" to match my dimple dies I think it ended up being around $200 or so? They also sell them with carbide tip but the price is almost double iirc. Link http://www.ohiopowertool.com/

This style are also marketed (white labelled?) as 'Jancy' brand which is sold thru the van sant site, www.trick-tools.com which has tons of badass fab equipment/tools.. That's where I found out about this style originally.
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #2503
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Trader Rating: (14)
Drift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
How many people have worked with Fiber Glass/ Carbon Fiber? ( I know, Stupid Question in a Fab Thread ) ...

I am looking to make some parts, Never really tried working with Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber... But I want to learn and would like to know where I get supplies and whats the difficulty differences between the 2... and Creating the Mold...

Thanks

2015 Subaru STI
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
A Ton of Projects
Drift N Dragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #2504
duffman1278
Post Whore!

duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift N Dragg View Post
How many people have worked with Fiber Glass/ Carbon Fiber? ( I know, Stupid Question in a Fab Thread ) ...

I am looking to make some parts, Never really tried working with Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber... But I want to learn and would like to know where I get supplies and whats the difficulty differences between the 2... and Creating the Mold...

Thanks
For carbon fiber you'll need a vacuum and vacuum bags but it's INCREDIBLY picky. You have to be really careful when you're applying each layers. And the first layer is not suppose to be smeared with resin, you have to pretty much tap the entire thing with a brush. You cannot have any bubbles or else it'll just turn out like garbage.

Carbon fibers expensive too so start with something really simple such as a 6"x6" square piece and see how it comes out. Sounds simple to make that but i've seen quite a few people mess it up. It's easy to mess it up.

This should help.
Just some Kevlar stuff - Honda-Tech

Old 12-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #2505
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
So I bought Bend-Tech PRO... I have no experience with this kind of software.
So I took about 45 and got familiar with the program.
End result was this.

This wasn't intended to be an actual structural design or anything. Just trying to figure out what does what.

Apparently I should stick to making Jungle Gyms (according to some retard on a local forum, lol)
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #2506
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
What did he say was wrong with it(besides a lack of diagonal cross bracing)?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #2507
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
What did he say was wrong with it(besides a lack of diagonal cross bracing)?
Poor design and lack of x bracing... Which I know it does.

But like I said. i wasn't trying to actually design something worthy of being in a car.

I was just learning what button does what.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #2508
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
That's what I figured but it looks good looking at it with that criteria in mind.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 AM   #2509
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I wish I had PRO, I have EZ and its works really well, no 3D though
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #2510
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Yea. Bend Tech pro ftw. We use it on all our cages. Makes everything quick and easy. Gets rid of all the guess work.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #2511
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

How well does it do tube frame chassis? I want to build a Locost and would rather not do all the math myself.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #2512
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Alot of swearing
ahhh...that makes sense. but really? did you just make two of each....and make opposite angles..and hope it comes out right? or measure each side individually as you make em?

I do artwork...and that exhaust looks fucking perfect! granted I can only see what I see in pictures.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #2513
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I used thse guys for my dimple dies. They make a variety of them.

NEW PRODUCT FROM BWOR!! 5 piece set of Conduit Size Dimple Dies - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Im gonna have to try out that hole saw. I already went thru about $100 worth of the brand they carry at lowes. I did make over 80 holes with the set, but it was a complete pain in the ass. I need to find an easier way to make perfect holes. For the 3/4 holes the best thing i found was a harbor freight step drill bit. It worked really well.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #2514
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
I wish I had PRO, I have EZ and its works really well, no 3D though
UPGRADE!!!
It's worth it

Quote:
Yea. Bend Tech pro ftw. We use it on all our cages. Makes everything quick and easy. Gets rid of all the guess work.
I imagine it paid for itself very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
How well does it do tube frame chassis? I want to build a Locost and would rather not do all the math myself.
It does tube frames as easily as you can make it.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #2515
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I will have to look into that program also. Right now its a the guessing game for me. it works well for now, but I would like to get more precise in the way I make cages so they come out fitting better and have less waste.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #2516
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinnmiami240sx View Post
I will have to look into that program also. Right now its a the guessing game for me. it works well for now, but I would like to get more precise in the way I make cages so they come out fitting better and have less waste.
You won't regret it.

It does a lot more than just design. Go to their site and watch their 12 min demo video...
Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #2517
duffman1278
Post Whore!

How is that programs ease of use, compared to programs like autodesk inventor? I can design a cage on Inventor but it's not the quickest thing in the world. Is that program you guys are talking really basic to use?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #2518
blu808
Post Whore!

the cool thing about bend tech is that it shows you where to measure everything inside the car. then after you enter the values it shows the roll cage. Now for the cool part. It shows you where to bend each tube, and every angle. You can even watch an animation of the cage being run through the bender.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #2519
roco
Leaky Injector

roco is an unknown quantity at this point
this is a full roll cage i fab'd for a very important customer, its a Nissan 180sx, or 240sx as you call it in the US, its being built mainly for drifting but the customer wanted the car built to all regs, its made out of aviation grade cold drawn true seamless carbon steel. seriously strong stuff. the main cage is 1 3/4 or 45mm x 2.64mm. and the brace bars and door bars are 1 1/2 or 38mm x 2.64mm. its not 100% finnished yet. theres two bars to go down the rear trunk lid pillars, and the main hoop diagonal, side impact and harness bars need to be added. he's a tall guy so i made the cage as tight as possible to the chassis, and you cant get much tighter than toutching. i also bent the two sill bars below the x door bars for a better fit. overall im stoked how it turned out :biggrin:.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #2520
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
LOVE THE CAGE MAN!

I have got to get a tight fit lagainst the car like that when it comes time!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote