Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #241
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
Trader Rating: (19)
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Bump? I think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #242
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
SinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So I convinced my buddy to buy an S14 for his next project car, he is a fellow Sentra/NX2000 builder. He found this beauty that was begging for a swap:

So it was time to find a suitable motor for this swap...Uh oh what is this?

800lbs of swapping goodness...

Lets see what we got here, any of you know what this bad boy is?:

Its a VQ30DET out of a Nissan Cedric in Japan. Its a single turbo VQ. They came strictly with an automatic trans. This motor can be found here in America non turbo and in a fwd variation in the Nissan Maxima and the Infiniti I30. Both motors can be used in RWD form. Both the VQ35 and the VQ30 blocks and heads are damn near identical, except obviously the internals are different and the VQ35 has the variable timing. The VQ30 has 9:1 compression, piston squirting oil intercoolers etc... This swap has not been done very often due to there hasnt been a manual trans that is available that would bolt right up to the motor till the G35 and 350z hit the market. So what we have is a VQ30DET and a G35 6 spd trans combo that will be put into this car.
So here is the reason why I have not made any more progress on my ride. We decided to see if the turbo setup off the VQ30DET will bolt up to the VQ35DE and fit in the 240sx. Which would be sweet because it will be a cheaper alternative to an aftermarket single turbo kit.
Here are some pics of the dismantle of the turbo setup:
My buddy Ameen (the owner of the engine and the S14) at work:

Close up shot of the turbo side of the motor with the heat shields on.

With the heat shields off:

Close up shot of how the cross pipe is ran, IIRC its similar to the 350z powerlab single turbo setup:

The whole turbo setup removed, this whole setup is being taken to my shop for trial and error fitment:

From what we have read and have seen the turbo is a Nissan made turbo and is very close to, if not the same as the RB25DET stock turbo. It's basically a T3 compressor housing, Ameen believes they applied some of garrett's tech, and used a ceramic turbine with a T3 flange as well. He has heard it has flow characteristics of a Super-60. He had a turbo like this before and sold it last year for cheap. Its alright for stock boost but they suck at boost levels higher than 15lbs, the ceramic blades shatter.

Compared to a stock GTI-R SR20DET T28 turbo:

The motor as it sits turbo-less. It looks almost like a stock VQ35DE...

So now its off to the shop for some test fitting of the VQ30DET setup on a VQ35DE, this might be a cheaper alternative for those with a VQ35 looking to go FI (Oh yeah that is metal valve covers you see on that VQ30 instead of those gay plastic ones.....)
Old 09-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #243
gregfarz78
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
gregfarz78 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interesting swap, where did he find one of those motors and how much? I'd imagine the internals are a little beefier since it was designed for boost unlike the vq35 which really doesn't hold up well to high boost. Wonder if those valve covers will fit a vq35 I hate those plastic ones
Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #244
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
fucking awesomeness
Old 09-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #245
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
Trader Rating: (19)
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Do you have a more consolidated part list/write up? I'm only interested in doing the swap and whatever is required to keep in legal. All the other work you're putting into it is awesome though =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
Old 09-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #246
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Just glad to see that you didnt give up on it? Have you gotten the parts for your car?
Old 09-21-2008, 05:23 AM   #247
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
This is awsome seeing as how I was thinking about going this route. Hope to see this project finished!

Some inspiration pictures!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #248
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

SinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc4usmc View Post
Do you have a more consolidated part list/write up? I'm only interested in doing the swap and whatever is required to keep in legal. All the other work you're putting into it is awesome though =)
Were working on that alot of this is test fitting, were also working on designing two kits, one that mounts the motor to the s-chassis. Overall I am not pleased with VQswap's mount kit. I personally think its poorly designed and put together and from what I have heard I am not the only person to think this, so I came up with my own design that will in my opinion work out better. The other kit we are designing is a single turbo kit to fit in the s-chassis universal for both the VQ35 and VQ30 as we have found that the VQ30DET turbo setup unfortuntely wont work because of steering column clearance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by future240 View Post
Just glad to see that you didnt give up on it? Have you gotten the parts for your car?
Yes I have recieved a few odds and ends I need to get the ball rolling, just been real busy. I will never give up on this car, its a personal test of my building skills and I will not let myself fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle m3th View Post
This is awsome seeing as how I was thinking about going this route. Hope to see this project finished!
Thanks for the pics its always helpful to see setups with turbo so we can get ideas of how we want to run everything.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #249
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Thanks for the pics its always helpful to see setups with turbo so we can get ideas of how we want to run everything.
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm a bit of a designer/fabricator myself and I love to see examples of how to go about things. I personally would have gone with a vertical style intercooler for the setup I posted pictures of to shorten the length of that IC piping. I've also got a strange suspicion that you may be able to mount you motor up quite well to an r33 cross-member. I could be very wrong though.

This picture shows the use of a modified s13 cross member.

also I'm curious as to how much you got your motor set for? Because I may be picking mine up very shortly.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #250
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
this is an epic build.

any plans for aero/paint?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #251
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allntrlundrgrnd View Post
this is an epic build.

any plans for aero/paint?
I want to do a black chrome for the paint, greddy gracer s15 front lip, JDM S14 side skirts and rear also wide body rear panels. With a small low profile spoiler off the back
Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #252
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle m3th View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm a bit of a designer/fabricator myself and I love to see examples of how to go about things. I personally would have gone with a vertical style intercooler for the setup I posted pictures of to shorten the length of that IC piping. I've also got a strange suspicion that you may be able to mount you motor up quite well to an r33 cross-member. I could be very wrong though.
Edit: I just looked at some pictures that compare the two crossmembers, R33 crossmember will put the mounts too far forward. So the problem your going to have is where the upper oil pan is notched for the crossmember and the steering rack. Not saying it cant be used but either way your going to have to do some modifying to make it mount up.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #253
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Ok on with some updates. Ameen, Mike and I are working together to come up with a design for a single turbo setup. We came to the conclusion that trying to run such a setup on the car would only be possible if we use the space in front of the motor. We played around with the stock manifolds to find different possibilities. Our first idea was to switch the manifolds, problem was they got in the way of the alternator and the AC compressor. We then tried putting the manifolds back to stock location, then turning them 180 degrees which would have worked great if it werent for the two top corner studs not lining up. So our only option was to cut, flip and tig them back together. So we bought some stainless steel headers:

Cut the flanges off:

Got out the grinder, ground down the old welds:

Let Mike do his thing, which I am still learning how to do:

The welds:

Did the other side and test fitted:

Now we have to cut the "triangle" type flanges off and put on v-band flanges and start work on a cross pipe to join the two headers the the turbo. Thats all for now.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #254
240sx_sr20det
Nissanaholic!

240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection
So sick.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #255
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
awesome work! please dont blow up, please dont blow up!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #256
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
very nice so far i cant wait to see it finished
Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #257
weksos industries

weksos industries is a jewel in the roughweksos industries is a jewel in the roughweksos industries is a jewel in the roughweksos industries is a jewel in the roughweksos industries is a jewel in the roughweksos industries is a jewel in the roughweksos industries is a jewel in the rough
nice progress! keep us updated!

[WEKSOS.INDUSTRIES]
NARDI-MOMO-PERSONAL-NRG-TODA-WORK-FUNCTION/FORM-VERTEX-ARC

408.988.WEAK - KENNETH
AIM:weksos2
Old 09-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #258
I10cruiser
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
I10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to I10cruiser Send a message via Yahoo to I10cruiser
this is still the shit

Old 09-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #259
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Did a little bit of work this weekend, after alot of measuring and cutting we modified the crossmember and got the motor all mounted up, so on with the pics...
Modified cross member, we used some thick a$$ metal for this bad boy, 3/16" IIRC. Got her all tigged up:

Before we closed the front side of the new mount plates I test fitted it in the car, got the motor all centered and drilled the holes for the mounts:

Put her back in for test fitting:

Like a glove! How she looks without the hoist sitting on genuine Nismo mounts:

Put on the headers to make sure were all good:

Its so beautiful I could cry....
So before we close up the front side of the new mount plates, the cross member will be sand blasted and re coated to insure the bare metal in that dead space wont rust.
That is all for now...
Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #260
awhitefuneral

awhitefuneral is an unknown quantity at this point
Amazing work man..........keep up with the pics.....
Old 09-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #261
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
I replied before but i just sat and read the entire thread.
first off, I could agree that I dont like 15 fronts on 14s either, but you are doing an excellent job. and if anything is done right, and clean, you might not like it for yourself but you can't say it is not nice because it was done right. You are doing it right. so it will be nice.
and aboutthe vq30det.
so jealous. I have been in the know about that engine for so long, I just have not had the money to do it. but very cool swap, props to you and your friend. can't wait to see how this goes.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #262
abstrakt
Leaky Injector

abstrakt is on the path to ruinabstrakt is on the path to ruinabstrakt is on the path to ruin
Send a message via AIM to abstrakt
Cincy
Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 AM   #263
Charlie
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (35)
Charlie is on the path to ruinCharlie is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
I don't know if its the angle of the picture, but will the intake rub with the hood? Sick build btw
Old 09-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #264
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illvialuver View Post
I replied before but i just sat and read the entire thread.
first off, I could agree that I dont like 15 fronts on 14s either, but you are doing an excellent job. and if anything is done right, and clean, you might not like it for yourself but you can't say it is not nice because it was done right. You are doing it right. so it will be nice.
and aboutthe vq30det.
so jealous. I have been in the know about that engine for so long, I just have not had the money to do it. but very cool swap, props to you and your friend. can't wait to see how this goes.
Yeah different strokes for different folks as far as the s15 front, the VQ30DET just kinda popped into the equasion I didnt know about it till recently, plus we got it hella cheap so we had to pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrakt View Post
Cincy
Lol we try, we try to ball hard but spend as less as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitefuneral View Post
Amazing work man..........keep up with the pics.....
Will do, love taking pics and documenting the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylove View Post
I don't know if its the angle of the picture, but will the intake rub with the hood? Sick build btw
I am pretty sure it will, the motor is as low as it will go but I will make the necessary adjustments to get the hood to clear. Right now its the very least of my worries lol.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #265
gregfarz78
Zilvia Member

gregfarz78 is on a distinguished road
Man that looks great good job with the mounts
Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #266
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Im all about the details.......

Nothing special, but I like it, details, details, details! Its all in the details.
Stock 240sx interior fuse block label:

Label removed cause that block no longer exists in my car:

Add new 350z interior fuse block label since I will be using the 350z fuse block:

Done Son!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #267
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
nice little details haha
Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #268
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
nice little details haha
Absolutely, the little details make the masterpiece.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #269
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
lol nice. no matter how small it may seem. that label is essential

keep it up! any idea how many other vq30det powered S cars are out there? I've been into the scene for quite a few years now and haven't seen one
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #270
xplicit240
Zilvia Addict

xplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to xplicit240
do i dare say sticky this bitch?

great work just simply great. i wish i was actually smart enough and motivated enough to do such things.

its so comprehensive and anyone ever dare to ask how to do this swap and doesnt search and find this should be shot immediately and treated like a 2 dollar whore and slapped.