Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #241
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey 95KA,, can't Sikky help you with the wiring harness?

Also what heads and cams did you go with again?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #242
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Yes, Sikky can do the engine wiring. I am relocating my fuse box and putting all of the wiring back in the car though, and I want to be sure I do it all right, haha.

I got a 224/224 Lutani cam and am running the 5.3L truck heads.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #243
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Okay gotcha,,

Are you port and polishing the heads??

I was thinking about stroking my LS1 to a 383ci and doing a sick head and cam combo and adding a F.A.S.T 102mm. But I might just do a good head and cam combo with the F.A.S.T and do the stroker next year

any reason why you chose the 224/224??
Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #244
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
The 224/224 is mild and shifts the power band up a little bit, so I thought it would be a good power adder, but nothing that crazy since I just have a LS6 intake.

I am not doing any head work unless the valves I have will not fit, haha. If they fit then they'll just be stock truck heads - which that alone bumps the compression up to 11:1.

I want to destroke the motor and rev it to like 7500-8000 and put ITBs on it, LOL - but I don't have that kind of money.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #245
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Little weekend update:

Got the motor torn down and should be getting it back together completely tomorrow/early this week.

Check out more pictures/info here: Knoops Blog

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 AM   #246
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
I want to destroke the motor and rev it to like 7500-8000 and put ITBs on it, LOL - but I don't have that kind of money.
Just grab the 4.8 crankshaft, shouldnt be that much. The ITB on the other hand
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #247
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
at jury duty... thank you for giving me something to read while here...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #248
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

95KA,,

Looking good, I really like were your mind is at with the ITBs that would be epic..

Can't wait for more pics
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #249
juan3023
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
juan3023 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LOOks AMAZING Brotha
juan3023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #250
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I love the wheels. Great work!
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #251
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Yeah with the update! Things are coming together now!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #252
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
What's the lift on that Lunati 224/224?

I've got LS1 241 heads, the LS6 intake, and 1 7/8" long tubes on mine, and was going to go with the 5.3L heads with Patriot's double spring/retainer setup and Spinmonster's 230/230 Comp XER cam, with almost .600" lift. Piston to valve is incredibly close with that setup, between .010 and .015 I think.

Ideally you'd go with .030" squish gaskets for your setup, but if that cam's got more than .500" lift, you'd be gettin close too, right?

Obviously, I haven't decided if I want to change heads yet lol.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #253
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post

I've got LS1 241 heads, the LS6 intake, and 1 7/8" long tubes on mine, and was going to go with the 5.3L heads with Patriot's double spring/retainer setup and Spinmonster's 230/230 Comp XER cam, with almost .600" lift. Piston to valve is incredibly close with that setup, between .010 and .015 I think.

Ideally you'd go with .030" squish gaskets for your setup, but if that cam's got more than .500" lift, you'd be gettin close too, right?

What sorta power are you looking to make? YOu may be better off getting LS3 heads and intake and going from there. You can find them dirt cheap online. Sell that LS6 intake and the 5.3 heads and you'll be set.

EDIT: And at that rate, it would be easier to call Ed Curtis for a custom cam that will work best for the setup. Remember, most LSx cams are dsigned with a 3300ish lbs car in mind...not a 2500/2600 lb car. Certainly you could run a much larger cam without to many negative effects, but in the same respect, a custom designed cam (which isn't much more than an off the shelf) would work wonders.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #254
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
What sorta power are you looking to make? YOu may be better off getting LS3 heads and intake and going from there. You can find them dirt cheap online. Sell that LS6 intake and the 5.3 heads and you'll be set.
If I ever redo my motor I will run LS3 heads and intake and the same cam I have now.... would make so much more power. Really not much more money that I have in my current set up. I have 706 5.3 heads, LS1 valves, ported and polished, MS3 cam, hardened push rods, titanium retainers, and comp prc dual valve springs. However I am running 11:1 compression with JE pistons.

I have put a lot of though into running ITB's as well.. just costs way too much! TWM makes them as well as kinsler and hayward. For the money you spend on ITB's just build a rear mount turbo kit and run your LS1 heads with a z06 cam. Most likely what im going to do next winter.

all you need is a fender puller, some zip ties, and a blog.
vaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #255
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn4 View Post
If I ever redo my motor I will run LS3 heads and intake and the same cam I have now.... would make so much more power. Really not much more money that I have in my current set up. I have 706 5.3 heads, LS1 valves, ported and polished, MS3 cam, hardened push rods, titanium retainers, and comp prc dual valve springs. However I am running 11:1 compression with JE pistons.
It's scarey to see how affordable LS3 stuff is. Heck you can find assembled heads for like 500ish bucks sometimes...unreal!

Funny you mention that MS3 cam, as a local kid put it in his car, and the silly thing made 410 whp and like 385 ft lbs, on a darn near stock car...no tune even...just a lid, pacesetters, and an exhaust...sickly. Car drove like crap (obvously without a tune) but there is no doubt that cam can make some nice power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn4 View Post
I have put a lot of though into running ITB's as well.. just costs way too much! TWM makes them as well as kinsler and hayward. For the money you spend on ITB's just build a rear mount turbo kit and run your LS1 heads with a z06 cam. Most likely what im going to do next winter.

Some of the recent ITB graphs are really astounding - but as you said, that powerband comes at a significant price. I guess that applies to anything in life right?

BUt certainly for the cost of that N/A setup you could go with F/I...but with F/I comes headache for sure. THere is something to be said about the turn key simplicity of a 450 whp LSx...but in the same regard a 650-700 hp LSx is a blast too.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #256
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post

I believe the cam has .520" of lift - I am using a stock head gasket and stock 5.3 heads - just the cam and valve springs/retainers are aftermarket.

I mean, I got the valve springs, extra valves, and hardened push rods for 150 bucks, the 5.3L heads for 75 bucks, and that Lutani 224/224 cam brand new for 270 bucks shipped - so I cannot complain about my set up at this point.

If I went with ITBs I would definitely make a custom set up because I'm not paying 4500-5000 bucks for a set of ITBs, that's ridiculous.

I am just excited to get this thing together! I am not exactly sure what it'll make but I'm thinking between 360 and 390? Maybe more, maybe less? I don't really care, I only had 250whp before so I'm not even going to know how to drive this thing, haha!

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #257
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
looking good dude!!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #258
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
keep us updated Good Job!!
essforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 AM   #259
cfreshs14

cfreshs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
this is one sick build thats going on here... keep the awesome work up.
cfreshs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #260
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, more stuff.

Knoops Blog

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #261
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

OMG can't wait for this thing to fire up..
Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #262
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

I can't either dude.

I was informed -for the people talking about different set ups in this thiread - that the 5.3 heads have a smaller intake valve and therefore will choke out some power, so we'll see what I make when it gets tuned (owner of VA Speed said I would probably make around 330whp and with better heads another 60whp).

Also, LS3 heads shouldn't work on a LS1 because the LS3s are 6.3Ls, and the combustion chambers are larger then the pistons on a LS1.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #263
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
I can't either dude.

I was informed -for the people talking about different set ups in this thiread - that the 5.3 heads have a smaller intake valve and therefore will choke out some power, so we'll see what I make when it gets tuned (owner of VA Speed said I would probably make around 330whp and with better heads another 60whp).

Also, LS3 heads shouldn't work on a LS1 because the LS3s are 6.3Ls, and the combustion chambers are larger then the pistons on a LS1.
VA Speed is a legit shop, but the fact is that the 5.3L heads have the same intake and exhaust geometry as the LS6 heads (the best 3rd gen OEM heads) and I believe the same size valves, with a smaller combustion area for higher compression right off the bat. They're going to make more power than the LS1 heads regardless. Of course, if you want to trade yours for my 241 heads, that could be arranged

Regarding the LS3 heads and the combustion chamber overhang, the theory goes that the cylinder wall interferes with flow around the valve, but Tony @ AFR has repeatedly reported that it doesn't affect it enough to worry about and that the extra flow and higher compression will create a net gain.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #264
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Interesting. The exhaust valve is the same size as the LS3 valves I have, but the intake valve is ~2mms smaller in diameter, so it was a pretty big difference. The combustion area is definitely smaller, and they should bump the compression up to 11:1 or there abouts.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #265
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Interesting. The exhaust valve is the same size as the LS3 valves I have, but the intake valve is ~2mms smaller in diameter, so it was a pretty big difference. The combustion area is definitely smaller, and they should bump the compression up to 11:1 or there abouts.
Are the LS3 valves supposed to be the same size as the LS6 valves? I know the heads are similar, but I never did the measurements on the valve sizes.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #266
FcMURRRDA
Leaky Injector

FcMURRRDA is an unknown quantity at this point
cars looking really good man, keep it up.
FcMURRRDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #267
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Simple fix... I had my 5.3 heads cut to fit my LS1 valves. Went from a 1.89" intake valve to a 2" That and 3 angle valve job was like $125.00. Then I did a small port and polish to clean up the runners. With my MS3 cam I make 390whp. Thats also with an air box and 3" intake pipe.

all you need is a fender puller, some zip ties, and a blog.
vaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #268
Iron_Zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Iron_Zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
:]

Yes sir Power torque no need to worry about turbos :] youd be crazy not to go V8
Nice build though Its NIIICE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
I'm following this build (everyone seems to be going V8 these days)...
Iron_Zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #269
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
The truck 243 heads (4.8/5.3) are LS6 heads without the sodium valves and beehive yellow springs.
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #270
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
The truck 243 heads (4.8/5.3) are LS6 heads without the sodium valves and beehive yellow springs.
Sweet! did not know that.
Looks like mine are almost full LS6 heads.. (Just need the valves then)
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote