Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #2791
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Damn I wish there were some other options for tranny - I'd really like a v160, but fuck paying $6k for a used tranny!

I posted on supra forums a while back, but the Colorado and Solstice trannys are supposedly slightly updated versions of the r154 and could possibly be used with a jz swap - with minor modifications...
Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #2792
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Drink&Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drink&Drift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
Damn I wish there were some other options for tranny - I'd really like a v160, but fuck paying $6k for a used tranny!

I posted on supra forums a while back, but the Colorado and Solstice trannys are supposedly slightly updated versions of the r154 and could possibly be used with a jz swap - with minor modifications...
As far as i know the Casing is the same, and the Bellhousing bolt pattern, but i want to say the Input and Output shafts are a different spline count so you will need a custom Clutch and Driveshaft(which you need anyways). i have yet to see anyone actually use one of these though.
Drink&Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #2793
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
Options13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
i'm still having trouble trying to find a throttle cable that needs little to no modification and looks clean on the s14..?

will the SOHC throttle cable work?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #2794
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drink&Drift View Post
Anyone using a Koyo KA Radiator with dual 12" Fans? i'm hoping this will be fine for me, alot of people say to stay away from KA radiators because of the flow design, but i don't see why this setup wouldnt work, the SPAL fans i got are each around 900 cfm.
is the KA flow design so different from the SR that it would actually hurt your cooling?
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #2795
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
^id like to know as well since I planned on running a KA radiator and chopping/welding the 1j water outlets to fit right (using AN lines)...
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #2796
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
^id like to know as well since I planned on running a KA radiator and chopping/welding the 1j water outlets to fit right (using AN lines)...
same. im not gonna be too happy if i have to buy a new radiator.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #2797
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
KA rad has upper and lower outlets on the same side. SR has one on the opposite site. The only advantage that I see is that with the SR rad design coolant is forced to circulate across the entire rad.
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #2798
bkg775
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
bkg775 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
same. im not gonna be too happy if i have to buy a new radiator.
I've got a Koyo SR radiator and I installed a Swirl Pot from Enjuku, heat wrapped the rad hose and running a 12" enjuku fan pusher. With this setup my car stays at 150 @ idle; 170 after driving it without me having to turn on my big Puller fan.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #2799
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
is the KA flow design so different from the SR that it would actually hurt your cooling?
KA Radiators have the inlet and outlet on the same side, and SR's have them on opposite sides, so the fluid has to go across vs straight down, but i have heard of people running the KA Radiators with a good set of fans with no problem
Old 10-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #2800
Sarom_ps13
Zilvia Member

Sarom_ps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Been trying to go through the pages but theres soo many pages to look, Are you guys Using the Dakota Digital for your Tach/Speedo? 1jz>s13

Also I'm missing the Y pipe from the twins, would getting a stock or a after market be better? pros and cons?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #2801
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drink&Drift View Post
KA Radiators have the inlet and outlet on the same side, and SR's have them on opposite sides, so the fluid has to go across vs straight down, but i have heard of people running the KA Radiators with a good set of fans with no problem
I have dual 12" FAL fans molded into a shroud that covers the whole radiator so i dont think i will have any problems there. I'm thinking about having a swirl pot welded inline into the upper water neck and im wondering if there is going to be enough space to still fit a hose from the neck to the radiator with them being on the same side....
Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #2802
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
I have a KA Koyo radiator with dual 12" FAL (410 or 420series whichever doesnt have a controller) With that and a TRD T-stat and an oil cooler i don't see temps over 190 EVER. and 190 is sitting in traffic for a long time.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #2803
Black R
Zilvia Addict

I have the biggest CX racing radiator they make for KA, coupled with dual FAL fans in a shroud as pullers.

No overheating issues since I got this radiator and cut the underside of the overhang in my bumper like so:

* I also have hood risers...

Last edited by Black R; 10-18-2013 at 08:34 PM..
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #2804
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarom_ps13 View Post
Been trying to go through the pages but theres soo many pages to look, Are you guys Using the Dakota Digital for your Tach/Speedo? 1jz>s13

Also I'm missing the Y pipe from the twins, would getting a stock or a after market be better? pros and cons?

I have the Dakota boxes but haven't installed them yet.

In the meantime, I simply used an auto meter tach so I could get rpms accurately.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #2805
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
Options13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
what the TPS supposed to read voltage wise?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #2806
rswails
Leaky Injector

rswails is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought the ebay mounts recommended on this thread and they don't seem to fit my aristo VVTi 2jzgte! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the wider mount goes on the driver side, and the narrower ( more square like ) goes on the passenger side correct? I have tried both mounts of both sides.

I posted a video showing me trying to line up the holes and nothing would work.

Watch here: 2jz s13 s14 mount problem 20131017 223322 - YouTube

UPDATE: I fixed this issue! yay. See this thread, http://zilvia.net/f/chat/408339-best...ml#post5453272

Last edited by rswails; 10-23-2013 at 07:29 AM..
rswails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #2807
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswails View Post
I bought the ebay mounts recommended on this thread and they don't seem to fit! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the wider mount goes on the driver side, and the narrower ( more square like ) goes on the passenger side correct? I have tried both mounts of both sides.

Trash those and just order the Get Nuts Lab mounts - SPOT ON FITMENT

Pretty sure on the passenger side (right side) I am using the rear 4 points you may have to remove that support to get it in there

(FROM MY BUILD THREAD)
These are different for each side - pics for reference incase anyone else has em and question which side is which.

Blasted and prepped for primer and paint!

Hit em with some self-etching primer and high gloss engine enamel

FYI anyone getting these brackets you will need hardware
8 - 10mm x 1.25 x 20-25mm hex bolts (engine brackets to block)
4 - 10mm x 1.25 x 20-30mm hex bolts (trans mount to body)
12 - 10mm Lock washers (I threw these in just incase)
12 - 10mm Flat washers (I threw these in just incase)

Driver Side

Passenger Side

Transmission bracket (super Beefy)

How the engine sits... pretty far back and nice and level
Ill snap some pics of the oil pan height or w.e. anyone else wants to see next time im down there

Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #2808
rswails
Leaky Injector

"you may have to remove that support to get it in there"

Thanks a lot for the pics of the mounts on the block itself. Very helpful.

Last edited by rswails; 10-23-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #2809
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
"you may have to remove that support to get it in there"

Thanks a lot for the pics of the mounts on the block itself. Very helpful.
Ah I bet that is the reason. See most people run single turbo and I bet removed that bracket so never ran into this issue. I am running twins and I will have to see if its safe to remove that bracket or weld onto what I have to make it fit.
Glad I could help. Some of the Twin Turbo guys could probably chime in on the removal/replacement of that bracket. Goodluck on your build (make a build thread)
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #2810
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Here's a little update on my car. Bought the driftmotion 6262 kit with the upgraded gtx billet wheel. I use my car strictly for drifting, so I wanted to retain the quick spool. And just some info on heating, before with the twins, cx racing 3 row radiator, fal fans, and no t stat, I would start to see temps of 200 after 2-3 runs max!!! So I'm hoping with this single, the koyo N flo and fal's it will stay a lot cooler.

And I also upgraded to the Tial mvs 38mm waste gate as well
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #2811
rswails
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
And just some info on heating, before with the twins, cx racing 3 row radiator, fal fans, and no t stat, I would start to see temps of 200 after 2-3 runs max!!!
Why did you run no t stat? In my experience cars run hotter with no t stat than with a working t stat installed.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #2812
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
waste_of_space is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Why did you run no t stat? In my experience cars run hotter with no t stat than with a working t stat installed.
You ever end up doing a jz swap? We had emailed back and forth a few times when I had my 2j coupe up for sale on craigslist. I guess I thought you were local to me though haha
waste_of_space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #2813
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
I have a KA Koyo radiator with dual 12" FAL (410 or 420series whichever doesnt have a controller) With that and a TRD T-stat and an oil cooler i don't see temps over 190 EVER. and 190 is sitting in traffic for a long time.

That's what i like to hear i should be fine then

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
Here's a little update on my car. Bought the driftmotion 6262 kit with the upgraded gtx billet wheel. I use my car strictly for drifting, so I wanted to retain the quick spool. And just some info on heating, before with the twins, cx racing 3 row radiator, fal fans, and no t stat, I would start to see temps of 200 after 2-3 runs max!!! So I'm hoping with this single, the koyo N flo and fal's it will stay a lot cooler.

And I also upgraded to the Tial mvs 38mm waste gate as well
How much do you hope to make? and what injectors and fuel system are you running?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #2814
rswails
Leaky Injector

Hey man! I decided to not work on it all this year until now. I was enjoying my 350z, and doing some motorcycle track days when I should have been doing the 2j swap! Did you do a VVTi swap or non vvti I forget?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #2815
ska
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Glad I could help. Some of the Twin Turbo guys could probably chime in on the removal/replacement of that bracket. Goodluck on your build (make a build thread)
I'm using xcessive brackets. On the exhaust side I just removed the turbo support bracket. You would need a super thick washer, or stack washers to keep that bracket anyways because originally the turbo support bracket bolted on top of the OEM mount brackets, which was like almost an inch thick...if you get what I mean
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #2816
rswails
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
You would need a super thick washer, or stack washers to keep that bracket anyways because originally the turbo support bracket bolted on top of the OEM mount brackets, which was like almost an inch thick..
My original oem engine mount bracket did not bolt on top of the turbo bracket. Maybe aristo VVTi's are different? What engine was yours?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #2817
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

I removed that support bracket on mine as well, i don't think its crucial for structural support of anything, you should be fine, same with the one on the intake manifold
Old 10-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #2818
Black R
Zilvia Addict

It's OFFICIAL! Supra TSRM comes to Apple devices!!!!

Cheap download and invaluable for us swapped guys.
I have no affiliation, but I downloaded it for personal use.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #2819
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
What are you guys doing about the power steering assist thingy that is on the pump? It has what seems to be 2 vacuum nipples on it. Can I just plug them?

I'd imagine this would make steering easy, feel numb and floaty like a typical luxury car....like turning the steering wheel with your pinky lol.
I didn't do anything.

I'd like to know what you find out - easier to turn has no downside IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options13 View Post
what about power steering resovoir?
I have an s13, and the plastic ps reservoir sucks IMO.
I got an s14 ps reservoir from a junkyard - it's all metal and holds more fluid.
It bolts into the same area if you get a little creative.

You could also weld on -an fittings if you wanted it to look super clean.
And ironically, it's the same color as the oem gte plug wire cover.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #2820
memphiss13
Zilvia Member

memphiss13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to memphiss13
Quote:
I bought the ebay mounts recommended on this thread and they don't seem to fit my aristo VVTi 2jzgte! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the wider mount goes on the driver side, and the narrower ( more square like ) goes on the passenger side correct? I have tried both mounts of both sides.

Are you trying to use brackets for a non vvti on a vvti engine? If so its not going to line up. The mount locations on the block are actually different. I ran into this when I was swapping a gte non vvti in my 02 gs300.
memphiss13 is offline   Reply With Quote