Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #2821
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dato View Post
U think the 110 mig welders could penetrate the material to weld a standard roll cage? Never tried it. Maybe pre heat the metal and weld??
I would not recommend it, but I know it has been done. Properly pre-heating the cage in the car is tough since paint is on the other side of the metal being heated.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #2822
240 GTR
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
240 GTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
yea, it could be done. i tried welding a piece of scrap .120 wall dom with my old lincoln 140v mig. it would start out fine, but didnt have a good enough duty cycle to keep anything decent going. i would only be able to weld about 3 inch sections before i had to turn it off to cool down.

not fun if youre going to do a cage
240 GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #2823
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
U think the 110 mig welders could penetrate the material to weld a standard roll cage? Never tried it. Maybe pre heat the metal and weld??
No... End of story.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #2824
T chop
Zilvia Junkie

T chop will become famous soon enoughT chop will become famous soon enoughT chop will become famous soon enoughT chop will become famous soon enoughT chop will become famous soon enough
What dimensions should I use for a "HMIC"?
T chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #2825
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808

Picked up a sweet little lathe today. Has auto feed on 2 axis and variable speeds.
Under $800
Old 03-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #2826
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Picked up a sweet little lathe today. Has auto feed on 2 axis and variable speeds.
Under $800
Dude that's awesome. I might have to play with that next time I'm up there and make some SAE->metric misalignment spacers.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #2827
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
can someone give me a quick run down on these misalignment spacers?
Pretty sure I missed it in the roll centre thread.... don't really wanna go searchin through 20 pages to find out.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #2828
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Machined a new ebrake handle.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #2829
dato
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
dato is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
So it just spinsa and u adjust the cut? Is it easy to operate?
dato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #2830
azn_romeox
Zilvia Member

azn_romeox is an unknown quantity at this point
Spring break progress. Cars been running the ls1 for 2 years. Aprox 15k. Lots of California HPDE events. Theres been a few revisions I wanted to make to the swap. Run a full crossmember, Push motor back. Run softer mounts, Finally running a cam

Got a Flowmeter regulator for my gas coverage, and using the the diaphragm regulator for my backpurge. That "t" fitting was expensive for just brass. $25, and thats being hooked up.

Backpurging is amazing! I didn't want to risk sugaring
]

Cut down the sump, added addition capacity off to the right side.

Heat= warping. Bolted the pan to the block to do the welding. Added that copper strip to absorb some of the heat.
azn_romeox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #2831
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
So it just spinsa and u adjust the cut? Is it easy to operate?
kinda, you have to know feed rates, cutting speeds, be able to keep a good bit. but lathing is pretty easy. i made some pretty good looking stuff in school for my manufacturing class. i want a lathe, but i'd really have very little use for it. i could make shift knobs i guess.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #2832
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i made my aluminum shift knob on a lathe. its fun and easy to learn.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #2833
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
can someone give me a quick run down on these misalignment spacers?
Pretty sure I missed it in the roll centre thread.... don't really wanna go searchin through 20 pages to find out.
Misalignment spacers sound like they're for suspension geometry lol, but they're actually just the inserts that go into spherical rod ends. "spacers", etc, lots of names.

Quote:
Machined a new ebrake handle.
I have lathe envy. I've wanted one so bad for like 3 years now, dont have the room. Now I'm gonna have to make something on the $30k Femco mill at work so you'll have something to be jealous about lol.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #2834
TougeLabs
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
TougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TougeLabs
Exclamation LS2 Fuel rail Mod.

It's been a while since I've really done anything on either of my cars but I redid the whole fuel system on the Lsx the other day with a double pumper setup in the back feeding a -8 to a earls filter up to the stock rails that I cut and removed the baffles on swapped the cross over hard line for a -6 up front to connect both rails and institute a return system to a Aeromotive fpr and returned with a -6. I was really having issues getting the motor to run 57psi of fuel pressure even with the corvette filter/regulator is was still running in the 70s. Anyway heres a few pictures of the project. "Sorry for the crappy iphone pictures"

Stock Rail: after I started cutting

New crossover:

Looks pretty stock:

Got my Track car back from paint, Porsche Gt3 rs green.

TougeLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #2835
J ROK
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
J ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Started welding school in January. LOVE IT!

Ive been sucking at welding for the past 5 years(self taught), and now I have an excellent instructor to tell me why I suck!

Started off with stick in Feb., just surfacing with different rods and just recently moved on to joints.

6010 root pass
my best one so far

And the new pit bike we made at our shop.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #2836
dato
Zilvia Junkie

how the hell u get on the bike?>
Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #2837
uperformance
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
uperformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
how the hell u get on the bike?>
pegs in the back. haha
uperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #2838
blu808
Post Whore!

That bike is rad.

Here is a custom tubular front crossmember I made for a 260z/rb26

Old 04-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #2839
dato
Zilvia Junkie

Blue when u do such thing do u drop the motor in with a engine hoist and mock it up like that? Or how do u start or the steps?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #2840
blu808
Post Whore!

I have a big metal table on wheels. I put the engine onto that then lower the car down on top of it. Once everything is lined up correctly I start the fab process.

O BTW. I just passed my AWS welding test today for 4130. Woot.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #2841
atutt
Zilvia Addict

CWB > AWS lol
(seriously... cwb> aws for technical reasons, lol)
Old 04-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #2842
blu808
Post Whore!

Blu808 > atutt

lol
Old 04-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #2843
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Blu808 > atutt

that crossmember looks boss
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #2844
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Blu808 > atutt

lol
lol, I concur...
Old 04-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #2845
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Charge pipes, these are guesstimates at the moment, I dont have the intercooler or couplers yet but they're pretty close to where I need them.

I'll finish them next week when I get the core and couplers in.

Having less than 3 feet of intercooler piping should be awesome.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #2846
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
^^ looking good man ..

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #2847
240 GTR
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
240 GTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
so i need some help with tig aluminum. i'm running a miller syncrowave 180, AC, 3/32 pure tungsten, 1/16 filler rod, and staright argon at around 15 cfm.

I just recently got this machine, and havent tig'd anything except steel before. i was trying to do a butt weld on some 2.5" od aluminum intercooler pipe. when i would go to start the weld, the arc jumps around erratically and sounds terrible. it doesnt even start to melt the metal until i put alot of heat into it...somewhere around 90 amps. when it starts to melt, the arc seems to smooth out, but it just burns through no matter how much filler i add and leaves a black soot kind of deposit. i cleaned the piece with a wire brush before trying to weld it.

can you guys give me any pointers or tell me what i'm doing wrong?

thanks!
240 GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #2848
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

^^^ When people have welded aluminum for me, it seems like they're modulating around 80-90 amps, and they always get the material suuuuuuuuuuper clean. Black soot is most likely dirty aluminum. Those that are actually good at it should probably chime in lol.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #2849
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
BlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 GTR View Post
so i need some help with tig aluminum. i'm running a miller syncrowave 180, AC, 3/32 pure tungsten, 1/16 filler rod, and staright argon at around 15 cfm.

I just recently got this machine, and havent tig'd anything except steel before. i was trying to do a butt weld on some 2.5" od aluminum intercooler pipe. when i would go to start the weld, the arc jumps around erratically and sounds terrible. it doesnt even start to melt the metal until i put alot of heat into it...somewhere around 90 amps. when it starts to melt, the arc seems to smooth out, but it just burns through no matter how much filler i add and leaves a black soot kind of deposit. i cleaned the piece with a wire brush before trying to weld it.

can you guys give me any pointers or tell me what i'm doing wrong?

thanks!
I am VERY new to MIG welding. Never done TIG, but I've been reading a lot. I have read you should use a different brush for aluminum to prevent contamination and make sure everything is VERY clean. Any input on how important the brush is from experienced aluminum TIGers?
BlazedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #2850
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
When I practice TIG on aluminium, I brush my coupons real quick, nothing thorough then if I feel like it, I hit with some acetone. But that's for practice stuff. You can usually get away with just hitting the scrap piece with a Stainless brush and practicing.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote