Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #2821
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
mikerbike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I found out some interesting stuff this week.

Since I modified my knuckles, I stopped using MAX rack spacers, since my outer tie rod hit the control arm before the rack bottomed out. But, in the quest for a flatter contact patch, I was reducing caster via tension rod adjustment.

As the wheel moved back in the well, it gained angle as a trailing wheel. I liked that a lot, less ackerman without losing leading wheel angle. My 17x9 +9 was hitting the tension rod/sway bar hard.

But, as the leading wheel, the rack started bottoming out before the tie rod hit the control arm. I installed the MAX rack spacers again, and goofed around with it for a few hours to find a happy medium.

That's with the front of the wheel about 1/4" away from the sway bar.
mikerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #2822
blingbling
Zilvia Junkie

blingbling is an unknown quantity at this point
^ lovin it
blingbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #2823
Pandapants
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pandapants is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Pandapants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
Yeah, I guess I'll have to buy SPL.
I don't mind coughing up an extra 100, but don't I also need to buy Z33 inner rods to make em work with the stock knuckles?
Is that because the threads on the S14 inner rods don't go deep enough? Or can I trim a bit off the S14 inner rods and make them work with the SPL?
The threads don't go far enough down the s14 rods for the spl ends to zero out the toe on stock knuckles. You can use z32 rods too, not just z33. and if you really want to save money, you can buy the rods from your local auto parts store.
Pandapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #2824
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Mikerbike, your angle looks great... still have a little Ackerman, but definitely increased the angle of the trailing wheel (the only one that matters in drifting).

What's your camber/caster like? I'd imagine you're not running much caster at all, so you've got to dial in massive camber to get decent grip on the trailing wheel.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #2825
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandapants View Post
The threads don't go far enough down the s14 rods for the spl ends to zero out the toe on stock knuckles. You can use z32 rods too, not just z33. and if you really want to save money, you can buy the rods from your local auto parts store.
Cool.
Thanks for the info!
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #2826
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Mikerbike, your angle looks great... still have a little Ackerman, but definitely increased the angle of the trailing wheel (the only one that matters in drifting).

What's your camber/caster like? I'd imagine you're not running much caster at all, so you've got to dial in massive camber to get decent grip on the trailing wheel.
Um.. My caster.. About that.. I turned turned the wheel full lock right, and adjusted the caster til the front inner edge of the wheel was about a quarter inch away from the sway bar/tension rod, then repeated with full lock left. Judge me. It's okay.

A few weeks ago, I posted in this thread that I was going to turn my camber plates so that max camber would reduce caster. I still might do that because my wheel is still far from flat at lock.

Camber.. I have a bunch of marks on the camber plates, as I assume most do. I used to run max negative but Now I have the dot on the pillow ball on the 3rd mark away from max negative camber. I feel like both my cars push more at max negative camber.

I'd like to pull more caster to get more angle out of the trailing wheel. I will either need to get a skinnier front wheel or space out the one I have. I'm in no hurry.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #2827
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:

Maybe I'm not understanding you right, but the leading or "outside" wheel provides the primary grip and steering in drift. Yes, having the trailing wheel at more of the same angle as the leading wheel will help (by not scrubbing speed), but it is not nearly as important as the leading wheel. If you look at older pictures of Forrest's S13.4, it completely lifts the trailing wheel at deep angles. Not that that is the best setup, but it makes my point.

Mikerbike; adjusting caster with the camber plates should give some good results. It doesn't change the effective length of the tie rods like using the tension rod does. Also, you can get your same results with tie rod offset spacers and not have to move the wheel around in the well so much.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #2828
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
We're saying the same thing, just calling leading and trailing backwards lol. Turn the wheel left, drift left, the left wheel is 'leading' and can basically disappear.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #2829
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
We're saying the same thing, just calling leading and trailing backwards lol. Turn the wheel left, drift left, the left wheel is 'leading' and can basically disappear.
Haha, good deal.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #2830
Patrick Bowering
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Patrick Bowering is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The Ultimate Handling Guide Part 8: Understanding Your Caster, King Pin Inclination and Scrub
Patrick Bowering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #2831
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

Kay, so.. Queso, I did the same to my other car today. But, I couldn't push the wheel as far back in the well because I run a taller tire and it hit the rear pinch weld too soon. And I don't have rack spacers to install on this car. And I tried road racing and enjoyed it, so this car doesn't need any more angle mods. But I took a picture anyway.

Also, I did sumpin bad. I made adjustments based of points of the unibody. So one side probably has about 2* more caster than the other. Oh well. I flipped the camber plate (as can be seen in the above photo) and adjusted the tension rod until there was about 1/4" clearance from the corner of the tread to the pinch weld as the wheel swings past. Sooooo scientific.

I think I ended up with a little more static camber than when the camber plates were normal and set to the middle. I'm not worried about what I did to the black car. I already tested that (on a closed course, BRO), but I kinda wonder if I should have left more caster for grip driving on the white car. But, I did all this stuff with the tools I carry in my car, so I can change it at the track between sessions.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #2832
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Brooo, you're supposed to cut a small slit at the bottom of that pinch weld and the top.

Then hammer that bitch as flat as you can! hahaha done!
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #2833
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Why did you flip your camber plates to give you less caster? That shit feels horrible.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #2834
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csomme View Post
Why did you flip your camber plates to give you less caster? That shit feels horrible.
to maintain tire contact area while doriftoring...?
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #2835
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Someone is socal should hold like a seminar about alignments. That would be dope. It's.really hard for me to full understand what you guys are doing to.your cars. I guess it would just be nice to see it first hand and in person.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #2836
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticnissan View Post
Someone is socal should hold like a seminar about alignments. That would be dope. It's.really hard for me to full understand what you guys are doing to.your cars. I guess it would just be nice to see it first hand and in person.
Here you go, from the Suspension Whisperer himself.

The Ultimate Guide to Suspension & Handling

Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #2837
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
to maintain tire contact area while doriftoring...?
Yes. And just to try something. I'm not sure I like it yet, but I've only driven to work and back today.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #2838
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Zilvia, where the answer to everything is a MotoIQ link...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #2839
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Zilvia, where the answer to everything is a MotoIQ link...
I'm not one to blindly link a thread rather than writing something out. It's a little simplified at parts, but all the good engineering tech is there.

Mike Kojima is the single best source of knowledge for S-chassis suspension tech. Time Attack, road racing, and Formula D cred, plus he's got this idea that he should share his knowledge with everyone.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #2840
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
I'm not one to blindly link a thread rather than writing something out. It's a little simplified at parts, but all the good engineering tech is there.

Mike Kojima is the single best source of knowledge for S-chassis suspension tech. Time Attack, road racing, and Formula D cred, plus he's got this idea that he should share his knowledge with everyone.

Not a dig against you personally, but I think there's QUITE A FEW MotoIQ articles linked in this thread. They're a good resource for some basic stuff, but it's pretty amusing just how often (some of the same) articles are linked here.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #2841
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:

Kojima is a smart dude/cool dude no doubt; a true import engineer. With that said, I'd trust him with a B/P chassis before S chassis any day of the week. Not that it's 'that' much different, but Mike has been playing with the FWD cars forever (hell almost as long as I've been able to drive/buy super street)...not that he won't understand our cars (or others, he does have a badass Z), but he's by far not the S chassis guru. He's undoubtedly smarter than 97% of this forum, but that's from a generic aspect, not S chassis specific.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 AM   #2842
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Well I raised my car a little. From my understanding, it seems that being so low is one of the main causes steering issues. Car felt great, I was just wondering what would be the next steps to increase my handling performance? or any alignment advise?

Before:
Toe:-.01
Caster: 9.2
Camber: -2.5

After
Toe: 0
Caster: 7.3
Camber: 3.1
Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #2843
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Why do you care about the inside wheel when you're drifting? All that caster is to get the outside wheel (the one carrying all the weight) to have the correct geometry.

Are any of you guys checking inner/center/outer tire temps after a run? That and overall wear characteristics will tell you a lot about whether you're running too much camber/caster.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #2844
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Kojima is a smart dude/cool dude no doubt; a true import engineer. With that said, I'd trust him with a B/P chassis before S chassis any day of the week. Not that it's 'that' much different, but Mike has been playing with the FWD cars forever (hell almost as long as I've been able to drive/buy super street)...not that he won't understand our cars (or others, he does have a badass Z), but he's by far not the S chassis guru. He's undoubtedly smarter than 97% of this forum, but that's from a generic aspect, not S chassis specific.
He's the chassis engineer behind Dai's S13, among others, and EVERYONE else in Formula D running a S-chassis listens to him. KW listens to him. I don't know anyone with more S-chassis racing experience at that level.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #2845
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Buy a damn book instead! Ya damn illiterate crowd! Like a jillion pages and no one has any data on how how low you want your roll axis angle, how much static camber you want based on your camber gain during x.x amount of g forces etc? Dayam. Get cracking!

With that said someone buy my knuckles 'n arms.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #2846
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
I think there is actually a spacer that supposed to go between the LCA and the snap ring retention feature. Either the case it seems even the stock ones don't actually contact the LCA; I just took mine out for powder coating. I think its just a safety measure. The ball joints in my Cherokee don't have snap rings at all; but I've actually seen someone rip them out on the trail.

That's one good looking glove-on-hand! Wow!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #2847
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
He's the chassis engineer behind Dai's S13, among others, and EVERYONE else in Formula D running a S-chassis listens to him. KW listens to him. I don't know anyone with more S-chassis racing experience at that level.
I guess to that degree true, being that I'm not into drifting I don't follow much besides some MotoIQ stuff. I guess i'm to much of a FWD MK fanboy to admit otherwise Dog-Cars for life!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #2848
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
Buy a damn book instead! Ya damn illiterate crowd! Like a jillion pages and no one has any data on how how low you want your roll axis angle, how much static camber you want based on your camber gain during x.x amount of g forces etc? Dayam. Get cracking!

With that said someone buy my knuckles 'n arms.
It really isn't a matter of how low you want your roll axis, I think it's more a matter of how high you're physically able to get the front roll center before the ball joint hits your inner wheel shell. Finally an excuse to run 19s!
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #2849
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
Well I raised my car a little. From my understanding, it seems that being so low is one of the main causes steering issues. Car felt great, I was just wondering what would be the next steps to increase my handling performance? or any alignment advise?

Before:
Toe:-.01
Caster: 9.2
Camber: -2.5

After
Toe: 0
Caster: 7.3
Camber: 3.1
Run less negative camber up front, and you need to correct your roll center if you're going to run the front of the car that low.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #2850
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Run less negative camber up front, and you need to correct your roll center if you're going to run the front of the car that low.
I already raised the car a ton, not sure if I would want to go much higher. Might just to redo the suspension.