Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #2941
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
This thread is long overdue to be stickied so I stuck it.
Awesome thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepGoesPowPow View Post
Haven't posted in here in a while but for the most part my 2jz s13 is finished and I drove it for the first time today!

Now that my haltech is up & running I'm selling my jdm 2jz ecu!
Good to hear!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #2942
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
probably a really stupid question...

Im running FIC 770cc injectors / stock ECU

Just to get it started do I need to have a fuel controller installed or will the stock ECU control the injectors enough to start/idle?

I remember reading someone else's build thread that mentioned starting the car with upgraded injectors and stock ECU until their EMS arrived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
You need something to control the fuel: safc or other piggyback, aem ems, etc.

Those injectors are almost double the size of stock, so they will be flooding your motor with fuel - it probably won't even hold an idle and will run super pig rich - if it even stays running.
This^. I wouldn't even take a chance with that.

What kind of fuel management are you planning on running? Hopefully something that controls timing also, considering the size of injectors.
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #2943
2stepGoesPowPow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
2stepGoesPowPow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
probably a really stupid question...

Im running FIC 770cc injectors / stock ECU

Just to get it started do I need to have a fuel controller installed or will the stock ECU control the injectors enough to start/idle?

I remember reading someone else's build thread that mentioned starting the car with upgraded injectors and stock ECU until their EMS arrived.
Im pretty sure you should be fine, my car started and idled on e85 and 1000cc injectors with the stock ecu.
2stepGoesPowPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #2944
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkid101 View Post
This^. I wouldn't even take a chance with that.

What kind of fuel management are you planning on running? Hopefully something that controls timing also, considering the size of injectors.
SAFC II OR NEO just for a while til I can get an AEM

Quote:
Im pretty sure you should be fine, my car started and idled on e85 and 1000cc injectors with the stock ecu.
Thought it was you Thats pretty wild that it worked
Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #2945
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Quote:
SAFC II OR NEO just for a while til I can get an AEM
Just my but an SAFC II or NEO will not be enough to control 770cc injectors.

SAFC from what I have read are only reliable enough up to 40% bigger injectors than stock. You are going to need something that controls timing as well.

If your looking for a true piggyback to hold you over until you get a standalone I would look into something like the MAP ecu's.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #2946
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
safc's could control 750cc injectors not the best, but it will work in a pinch.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #2947
93egallmotor
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
93egallmotor is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
If you are using the JDM factory twin turbos you will need to source a jdm downpipe which used to be hard to find, but you can find them on ebay now. Just search “JZA80 front pipe, 1st pipe or decat. and it will show up. here is a picture of what you will need.
(Pic of said jdm downpipe)

can anyone confirm if this works with a 1jzgte stock twins as well? the flange looks to be right
93egallmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #2948
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

That actually makes sense: e85 has a lower energy output compared to pump gas, that's why you have to run ~30% bigger injectors for the same power.

So 1000cc injectors on e85 push the equivalent power of 660cc injectors on pump gas.
That's only roughly less than 50% larger than stock - if you have a Jdm ecu and 20% bigger than a usdm ecu pushes.

I don't know the exact figures, but the ecu can compensate a bit on its own anyway - figure 10%.

Either way, you were better off than someone running 770cc injectors on pump gas.

Big Mike, you could probably get away with running those 770's on e85 with a usdm ecu and it'd be pretty decent . But your timing would be overly conservative compared to what e85 can handle.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #2949
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Quote:
That actually makes sense: e85 has a lower energy output compared to pump gas, that's why you have to run ~30% bigger injectors for the same power.

So 1000cc injectors on e85 push the equivalent power of 660cc injectors on pump gas.
That's only roughly less than 50% larger than stock - if you have a Jdm ecu and 20% bigger than a usdm ecu pushes.

I don't know the exact figures, but the ecu can compensate a bit on its own anyway - figure 10%.

Either way, you were better off than someone running 770cc injectors on pump gas.

Big Mike, you could probably get away with running those 770's on e85 with a usdm ecu and it'd be pretty decent . But your timing would be overly conservative compared to what e85 can handle.
Ive got the JDM ECU and plan on running 93 pump gas. Im just going to hold off another week and get some kind of fuel controller
Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #2950
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Quote:

Quote:
Ive got the JDM ECU and plan on running 93 pump gas. Im just going to hold off another week and get some kind of fuel controller
So Big Mike, how much longer until you get that standalone? lol
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #2951
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Drink&Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Drink&Drift
Anyone running AEM EMS with the Aristo Non-VVTI Motor? do you get the Supra Version and switch a few wires around? haven't been able to find any useful information online about doing this.
Drink&Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #2952
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkid101 View Post
So Big Mike, how much longer until you get that standalone? lol
LoL no time soon - AFC NEO or E-Manage is whats happnin
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #2953
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drink&Drift View Post
Anyone running AEM EMS with the Aristo Non-VVTI Motor? do you get the Supra Version and switch a few wires around? haven't been able to find any useful information online about doing this.
i have a V2 AEM EMS, plug and play, had to wire in the AEM IAT and the MAP sensor, other then that it's good to go.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #2954
reynas14
Leaky Injector

reynas14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok so im beggining to think its going to be much better to just go to single before install. A few reasons i want to do this now is:
1) I hate how the stock vav lines look and want to eliminate them ASAP!
2) It looks like i dont have to get a EMS right away (which is whats slowing me down currently)
3) Looks like its not TOO terribly expensive to do so.

Someone on here said they are doing the T61 (and saw a GT3082r too), which honestly i dont care that (and not necessarily that specific size of turbo) it cant be ran more than say 550-600, or even less. I just want a small single in there for now so i can drive it.

Heres my goals with the car for the first year maybe 2. Just drive a few times a week like maybe 2-5 times. I dont have any big Horsepower goals in mind for awhile so 350-450 or so would be cool with me for awhile. I also might take it to an import faceoff here and drag it once, im spending a lot on the r154 and dont want to badly abuse it or break it, i have a great setup for it just dont want to risk it. My s14 has HKS suspension, 300zx discs all around, 5 lug conversion, and KAAZ 2-way diff.

So heres my question. To the guys that singled right away, what stuff did you go with to do so? Ive seen some links and heard that the USDM injectors are a good way to go (with the resistor pack) and after that im confused. Thanks for help guys!!!
reynas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #2955
reynas14
Leaky Injector

OHHH and i almost forgot, (i want to try and contribute SOME because i feel like this thread has helped me so much its ridiculous haha) for anyone doing the swap still or in the future:

I am going with wiringspecialties, not only do they have great customer service, knowledgeable staff, but they are in the late development stages in creating a brand new wiring harness that is in fact new not used but also can accommodate stock twins, MAS/MAF sensors, upgraded EMS, and so much more you can throw at it. I guess it can remove certain wires and change the ways it runs just by taking certain stuff off, cant describe it fully haha but it seems really useful. And all for the low price of 600!!!

Theyre not due to be on the market until late december (2013) early Jan of 2014 they said but you can call them and pre order some and could even get a discount! I was too geeked to hear this because i didnt want to use old modded wires and than change the harness when i went to a EMS. Hope this helps some one out there. If you have any questions i would call them and talk to Chris, nice guy and knows a good bit on the harness.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #2956
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

For what it's worth, i was stock us twins for a season, then did a single conversion. If i had to do it over again i would go straight single. So much unneeded wiring can be removed once single, looks better, more room, easier to maintain. honestly most likely weighs less (Anyone weight there stock twins?)

Not to mention, you'll need to change some intercooler piping,Intake,and downpipe if you run twins then convert to single turbo, which is all money and time you wasted buying parts.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #2957
ivantheterribl3

ivantheterribl3 is an unknown quantity at this point
What are my transmission options for a 5spd? I know r154 amd w58 with the right bell housong, but are there any others? And what usdm cars could I find any of them in? Thanks
ivantheterribl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #2958
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynas14 View Post
So heres my question. To the guys that singled right away, what stuff did you go with to do so? Ive seen some links and heard that the USDM injectors are a good way to go (with the resistor pack) and after that im confused. Thanks for help guys!!!
Check my build thread. I went single straight away and documented most of the parts/processes done to do so and Im close to starting mine up.

http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...tle-build.html
Old 10-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #2959
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Drink&Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Drink&Drift
Quote:
i have a V2 AEM EMS, plug and play, had to wire in the AEM IAT and the MAP sensor, other then that it's good to go.
Which model did you buy? the Mk4 Supra one i assume?

it just plugs into the Aristo Engine harness?
Drink&Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #2960
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drink&Drift View Post
Which model did you buy? the Mk4 Supra one i assume?

it just plugs into the Aristo Engine harness?
AEM 30-6100. For the TT Supra (i'm an AEM vendor btw) It just plugged right in, like i said the map and IAT sensors needed to be wired, other then that it's fine. been that way for 1000+ miles no issues thus far.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #2961
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
For what it's worth, i was stock us twins for a season, then did a single conversion. If i had to do it over again i would go straight single. So much unneeded wiring can be removed once single, looks better, more room, easier to maintain. honestly most likely weighs less (Anyone weight there stock twins?)

Not to mention, you'll need to change some intercooler piping,Intake,and downpipe if you run twins then convert to single turbo, which is all money and time you wasted buying parts.

I agree with the above ^.

I stayed stock twins and ran them in true twin mode.
They were fun, but not a lot of top end.
And they died by pouring out oil (Jdm aristo swap).

I actually had purchased a gt37 before I even had the swap done, but wasn't well versed on everything I'd need, and I wanted to see what the stock twins would do.

I didn't have heat on my s13 with the twins because they were so close to the firewall.

After they died, I bought an eBay manifold for $140 and threw the gt37 on.
I had to get a bigger bov and wastegate, and redo the intercooler piping + downpipe, but it's so worth it.

If I had it to do over again, and could afford it, going single right away makes the most sense.

I've see SP make 550whp on a log manifold with a qsv, and it's so simple and reliable and fun looking.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #2962
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I agree with the above ^.

I stayed stock twins and ran them in true twin mode.
They were fun, but not a lot of top end.
And they died by pouring out oil (Jdm aristo swap).

I actually had purchased a gt37 before I even had the swap done, but wasn't well versed on everything I'd need, and I wanted to see what the stock twins would do.

I didn't have heat on my s13 with the twins because they were so close to the firewall.

After they died, I bought an eBay manifold for $140 and threw the gt37 on.
I had to get a bigger bov and wastegate, and redo the intercooler piping + downpipe, but it's so worth it.

If I had it to do over again, and could afford it, going single right away makes the most sense.

I've see SP make 550whp on a log manifold with a qsv, and it's so simple and reliable and fun looking.
Yeah hearing you guys say this only confirms me doing this because im new to boosted engines and didnt want anything bad to happen thus why im going slow with the build and really taking my time and learning. But I feel confident doing this since im getting my info from you guys and this site so thats a relief. A couple questions though:
1) I seen mikes build and dam does it look good, clean as hell too. Im going with the ebay turbo exhaust mani, tial wastegate, i need a BOV correct? which would you recommend?
2) I like both the GT3082r and the T61, which would be a better buy since my HP goals are 350-450 (500 if i can squeeze it)?
3) Im actually having trouble finding 550cc USDM injectors If i go with bigger ones i will need a new fuel rail correct? Aggg i had most of this swap figured out until i decided to go single right from the getgo haha.
As always thanks for the help!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #2963
ivantheterribl3

ivantheterribl3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd just spring for some aftermarket high impedance injectors rather than go to the trouble of wiring in a resistor. And go with 750cc or something for expandability. What ecu are you running?
ivantheterribl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #2964
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynas14 View Post
Yeah hearing you guys say this only confirms me doing this because im new to boosted engines and didnt want anything bad to happen thus why im going slow with the build and really taking my time and learning. But I feel confident doing this since im getting my info from you guys and this site so thats a relief. A couple questions though:
1) I seen mikes build and dam does it look good, clean as hell too. Im going with the ebay turbo exhaust mani, tial wastegate, i need a BOV correct? which would you recommend?
2) I like both the GT3082r and the T61, which would be a better buy since my HP goals are 350-450 (500 if i can squeeze it)?
3) Im actually having trouble finding 550cc USDM injectors If i go with bigger ones i will need a new fuel rail correct? Aggg i had most of this swap figured out until i decided to go single right from the getgo haha.
As always thanks for the help!
Just a suggestion - you can save some $$$ on the manifold by going with an ebay or equivelent but spend a few more $$$ on a decent turbo (used if you find a good deal)

Look into Treadstone manifolds or similar log type manifolds.. they are cheap and have some impressive results
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #2965
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Some info on the CX Racing radiator Upper Hard Pipe kit

Got the CXRacing upper radiator hard pipe kit and installed it. I'm fairly impressed with the kit minus 2 minor issues. The supplied hose clamps are way too big but work and the 90 DEG coupler fits pretty loose on my KOYO radiator

Super loose

Installed - I like the look

Gets a bit close by the power steering pulley but clears just fine

Here is the loose hose clamped down... It may work... Guess we'll see if it leaks

Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #2966
reynas14
Leaky Injector

@ Ivan yeah i have the stock jdm aristo ecu that came with the engine. I also just got back from zerolift auto labs and meet with Robert. Nice guy and pretty knowledgable too, we discussed some options and things I will need. Very clean shop and the place looks legit so im seriously considering going with them on a lot of my parts. Also Ivan yeah I think I just may go with 750s or bigger
Old 11-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #2967
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
My only complaint with Zerolift is their customer service sucks ass... Every time I emailed them I either never heard back from them, or it took them a week and a half to respond. If I called them I got put on hold, and sometimes they picked back up, sometimes they didnt.

Their mounts and driveshaft are nice though.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #2968
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Ahh thats shitty man. Well I hope its not like that anymore! He said multiple times that if I have questions on anything to email him so theres that I guess lol I mean im sure he means well but I wont know until I dig deeper into this build. Also I think I will do a build thread to try and contribute more and also to hear peoples suggestions. Because at this point any help is greatly appreciated and helping the old wallet out haha
Old 11-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #2969
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Got some goodies in today for my new fuel setup!

Aeromotive stealth 340, tomei fuel pressure regulator and gauge, and a regulator rail adapter.

Deleted all my stock hardlines today. Planning on running -6AN feed/return lines all the way to the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1383351919302.jpg (96.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #2970
Deftec
Zilvia Junkie

Deftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-known
Been a while since I've posted, figured I'd share the new setup. This is what my kitchen table looks like haha.
Upgrading to a DBB GT42, 290's, full ferrea head, built block, etc etc, and a little bit of nitrous. Car has been running low 10's on the 6766, but it's time to go fast now!