Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
lftrpllr

Trader Rating: (0)
lftrpllr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Harness conversion from S13 SOHC to S14 DOHC

I have an A/T 1990 S13 KA24E chassis (Just missing motor and trans, all wiring intact etc.), which im looking to swap in a 1995 KA24DE from an S14. I have all the S14 harnesses, ECU, and a DOHC cluster.

I know I need to modify the dash plug on the new S14 harness to match up with the chassis, and all I can find is people using the S13 DOHC harness instead. Is it still color to color on the S14 harness or is the colors/pinout different?

Also, is there anything else I should be aware of electrically (modifications etc) before I start tackling the harness? Motor is pretty much ready to drop in, just dreading the electrical stuff?
lftrpllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Use s13 engine harness and appropriate sensors(i recall on the manifold and distributor setup)
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
lftrpllr

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Use s13 engine harness and appropriate sensors(i recall on the manifold and distributor setup)
Will that still work since the S13 harness and ECU is for a SOHC and Im swapping in a s14 DOHC & matching ECU??
Old 09-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
No u need a s13 dual cam harness sensors/distributor setup
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #5
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by lftrpllr View Post
Will that still work since the S13 harness and ECU is for a SOHC and Im swapping in a s14 DOHC & matching ECU??
To fit a s14 dohc ka into a s13 sohc chassis you will need the s13 dohc wiring, ecu, and distributor. You will need to rewire the s13 dohc harness to work with your sohc chassis (there are a ton of write ups for this).
Old 09-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
lftrpllr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
To fit a s14 dohc ka into a s13 sohc chassis you will need the s13 dohc wiring, ecu, and distributor. You will need to rewire the s13 dohc harness to work with your sohc chassis (there are a ton of write ups for this).
So I cant use this S14 harness and ECU at all?? There is NO way to make it work?
Old 09-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
So I cant use this S14 harness and ECU at all?? There is NO way to make it work?
Sure, as long as you give the ecu the voltage inputs it needs it wont matter what car its in, its just a bit more involved then using s13 stuff. Your cluster will require a s13 coolant sensor, and a s13 speed sensor (VSS). Youll have to see if the tach signal will work, but it should.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
lftrpllr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
Sure, as long as you give the ecu the voltage inputs it needs it wont matter what car its in, its just a bit more involved then using s13 stuff. Your cluster will require a s13 coolant sensor, and a s13 speed sensor (VSS). Youll have to see if the tach signal will work, but it should.
Well by some stroke of luck, I found someone with a bunch of DOHC S13 stuff, so I scored an engine harness and cluster. Ill just take the easier route lol
Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
crazyorigin

Trader Rating: (1)
crazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Well by some stroke of luck, I found someone with a bunch of DOHC S13 stuff, so I scored an engine harness and cluster. Ill just take the easier route lol
If your using the S14 distributor the s13 tach will not work. I just installed an S14 KADE in my S13 using a Wiring Specialties pro harness and everything went smoothly, but I also used all the S14 parts, ecu Dist. Etc, a d had to fit the S14 tach into my S13 cluster and it works fine now. If you go this route PM me I can help you out with some stuff.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
you don't have to rewire anything aside from the dash connector using the s13 harness.
The s14 is a pain to usein the s13 car because iirc the 2 harness plugs in the front passenger corner of the engine bay are split up between 3 different connectors in varying locations on the s14, and s14 ecu plug is different than an s13 ecu.
your tachometer wont work either way

you can use your SOHC ingitor chip tho if u use an s13 dohc harness