Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #31
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
DO NOT get ground control coil over sleeves! The 240s don't have enough suspension travel to stick a threaded sleeve in there, you WILL bottom out. Invest in a set of coilovers, even megan's will be significantly better than the cheap ground control crap.
you mean they have too much suspension travel?

bottom out? as in? what compress the shock?

meagans ride like total shit compared to my 600 dollar suspension

KYB AGX + GC Eibach.

sorry man I dont know what your talking about. GC also sells bumb stops.

Im sure with Konis my car would ride night and day. But I cant afford the fuckers right now.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #32
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post

KYB AGX + GC Eibach.

Im sure with Konis my car would ride night and day. But I cant afford the fuckers right now.

The front suspension has less than 2 inches of compression travel before you hit the bump stops in stock form. Lets say you drop the car 2 inches, now you have no travel at all. So then you cut the bump stops in half, now you have about 1.5 inches of travel. Not to mention that the sleeves themselves will likely interfere with compression travel. With that little compression travel you are almost sure to bottom out your suspension. Any full length adjustable coilovers will leave you with at least 2.5 to 3 inches of travel (if they are set-up right), which will be plenty of travel to avoid bottoming out. Also, how the car rides is a non-issue to me I ONLY care about how it handles!
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 PM   #33
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Quote:
The front suspension has less than 2 inches of compression travel before you hit the bump stops in stock form. Lets say you drop the car 2 inches, now you have no travel at all. So then you cut the bump stops in half, now you have about 1.5 inches of travel. Not to mention that the sleeves themselves will likely interfere with compression travel. With that little compression travel you are almost sure to bottom out your suspension. Any full length adjustable coilovers will leave you with at least 2.5 to 3 inches of travel (if they are set-up right), which will be plenty of travel to avoid bottoming out. Also, how the car rides is a non-issue to me I ONLY care about how it handles!
thats funny because my car handles better than most of the cars with one piece.

your argumnet confusing.

The problem with GC cars that ride improperly is the SHOCKS the Valving!

not the length.

some one else back me up on this here
Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #34
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:
..you cut off part of the bumpstop so its shorter....giving the shock more room to travel. (and thats only if its needed...)
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #35
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Quote:
Wow your so wrong.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:01 AM   #36
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearlessj View Post
Wow your so wrong.
Prove me wrong then, someone post pics of their front shock travel with the ground control coilovers (with the weight of the car on the suspension on that corner). I will guarantee you that even with the bump stops completely removed there will be about 2" of suspension travel max (unless you are running 4x4 status).
Old 10-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #37
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
what experience do you have with this setup? as stated i have had it since 2003/early 2004. never have I blown anything. then again im not wreckless by any means in my car and only sprited weekend cruises with different groups sometimes alone. bottoming out has never been an issue and suspension has plenty of travel. now i dont know if i would suggest going for the ground with this setup. because that is not what it is intended for but it only allows so much any way with the length of the sleeve. if your trying to drag a bumper the no GC is not for you. if you want to put your car on rails then give it a shot.

im not sure what kind of pictures you want

here are two that i have handy
bigOdom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #38
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
All you're proving is that a double height adjustable coilover will let you go lower than a ground control setup with an OE replacement shock. Good for you, you're right. Unless you do something to the shock, you won't be able to lower the car as much without losing a lot of suspension travel.

As for the ride versus handling relationship, they're a lot more connected than everyone seems to realize. All those bumps and the harshness you feel at the driver's seat has to come from somewhere. So if it is getting transmitted through the tire into the suspension and into the chassis, then what kind of fluxuations in vibrations do you think the tire is seeing. That's bad for grip. The shock is meant to control the accelerations that the tire and the chassis experience. So a good ride will allow the car to handle better than a harsh ride. Of course, it won't ride like a caddy, because things will be happening a lot faster due to stiffer components, but it can still ride nicely. I've built dampers that ride nice and perform better. On the street, they were perfectly fine, not much harsher than a stock Accord, and on the road course the benefit of this ride quality was seen in several sections of the course where there were some larger bumps or rougher sections. These sections were unsettling a lot of the car, but our car could go right over them with no problems.

So a spring sleeve setup is not something for people who want to slam their cars or don't really know what they're doing. There are a million different ways to do the suspension and they all have their pros and cons. It depends on what you want and what you care about.

Tim
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #39
racepar1
Post Whore!

That pic is totally at the wrong angle to see what I wanted to see, but the set-up looks a little different than I was picturing. I was thinking like the honda fags where they just set a sleeve in there. My bad guys, I guess its not so bad.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 AM   #40
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
thats the reason you have those little red things in your info. because you post like you have unlimited experience when in actuality you have very little or none.

please note this was not a bash or petty jab it was just a suggestion on how to improve your rep since you seem to struggle
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #41
240sx_LE
Leaky Injector

240sx_LE has made poor choices240sx_LE has made poor choices240sx_LE has made poor choices240sx_LE has made poor choices240sx_LE has made poor choices240sx_LE has made poor choices
sleeve and swift coilover springs ftw!

i was wondering if anyone has done that.. anyone?
240sx_LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:58 AM   #42
driftfreek

driftfreek is on the path to ruindriftfreek is on the path to ruin
Send a message via AIM to driftfreek Send a message via MSN to driftfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post

KYB AGX + GC Eibach.

hey steve, how much did u pay for that setup, kyb agx +GC? how stiff are you running? any problems yet? for how long have you had them?
driftfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:10 AM   #43
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
You can find AGXs for like, 600ish.

I was planning on running GC sleeves with Koni springs, and Swift dampening springs.

One of my buddies had the Koni Special, and swears by it to the death.

Too much damn hearsay nowadays. It is GAY.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #44
KwKouki
Nissanaholic!

KwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to KwKouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceInHole View Post
LIES!

I have 450's on my rears. Fronts probably could handle a bit more, but I'm on 8611's now

I wonder what the DSG car uses? He had off-the-shelf yellows in back last I knew.

In the end: Koni Yellow + GC will outhandle pretty much every JDM coilover out there, and 100% of the pseudo JDM stuff.

im REALY glad there is someone here with proper brain matter. All the coilover sackriders should read a bit on proper suspension setup.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 AM   #45
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor

^^ That plus some GC coils, those are my S13 ones before I have the strut towers powder coated.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #46
WilloW
Zilvia FREAK!

WilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to WilloW Send a message via Yahoo to WilloW
Nice! ^^ Are those just off the shelf Konis, or did you have anything done to them?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #47
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Pics of that set-up on car?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #48
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftfreek View Post
hey steve, how much did u pay for that setup, kyb agx +GC? how stiff are you running? any problems yet? for how long have you had them?
really cheap but Im not going to say because I might sell it soon and go with Konis and a diff spring rate so I might start over

You can find KYB AGX for about 300-400 bucks brand new
Tien Camber Plates 120-175 depending on new or used
GC Sleeves and coil kit + 1 hour of fabrication 400 + tears of joy

If your going to use the AGX shocks use a lower spring rate than I did for street. 375 Front and 300 Rear should be perfect.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #49
fromxtor
Post Whore!

fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilloW View Post
Nice! ^^ Are those just off the shelf Konis, or did you have anything done to them?
Off the shelf S13 drop ins
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearlessj View Post
Pics of that set-up on car?
They are not on the car yet, thus the "off the car" pictures.

I still need to get around to ordering the GC coils and rear koni shocks. I will be ordering 400/350 springs w/ the GCs.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #50
tougemII
Zilvia Member

tougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond reputetougemII has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
DO NOT get ground control coil over sleeves! The 240s don't have enough suspension travel to stick a threaded sleeve in there, you WILL bottom out. Invest in a set of coilovers, even megan's will be significantly better than the cheap ground control crap.
wow gtfo. you obviously dont know gc. gc/koni > lots of preset c/o. dampening on the koni shocks are really good. they are dyno dampened to perfection compaired to the tawian crap like d2,f2,ksports. i think if u really wanted to do some damage on the track, get gc/koni. all those preset c/o are for the average driver. if u want good suspension, ud have to pay the price. for the susp itself and the tuning itself. i think the tuning for gc koni is a lot greater then ur average preset c/o.
for me im gonna be riding on motons and gc for my s2k. when i get it.
tougemII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #51
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougemII View Post
wow gtfo. you obviously dont know gc. gc/koni > lots of preset c/o. dampening on the koni shocks are really good. they are dyno dampened to perfection compaired to the tawian crap like d2,f2,ksports. i think if u really wanted to do some damage on the track, get gc/koni. all those preset c/o are for the average driver. if u want good suspension, ud have to pay the price. for the susp itself and the tuning itself. i think the tuning for gc koni is a lot greater then ur average preset c/o.
for me im gonna be riding on motons and gc for my s2k. when i get it.
Back off dude he already admitted he was not in the know concerning GC
Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #52
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromxtor View Post
8611 Double Adjustable

They are not on the car yet, thus the "off the car" pictures.

I still need to get around to ordering the GC coils and rear koni shocks. I will be ordering 400/350 springs w/ the GCs.
So how are you holding the shocks in the housing? I thought the 8611 was meant to work with a gland nut on the top.

What rear shocks are you using? Yellows, like AceinHole? Or something else?

And to the other guy that posted, why would you need ground controls with Motons, that makes no sense at all.
DriftAssNation
Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #53
onabulletride

onabulletride is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow I'm glad i saw this thread, I've been obsessing over what to do with my suspension since I will finally have some money. Sounds like ground control is where its at in terms of performance. +rep is on its way.
onabulletride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #54
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

McCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
So how are you holding the shocks in the housing? I thought the 8611 was meant to work with a gland nut on the top.
agreed, I also spy a large bolt on the bottom of his housing holding the strut in from the bottom, this tells me it's an off the shelf koni yellow.

I have a setup almost identical to PJ (aceinhole) with the exception of the 8610 RACE insert, these do require custom housings, especially if you want to gain back some inner tire clearance on the S13 chassis.

For the rear, I'll be reusing the koni yellow with GC hardware for the time being, but will switch over to an 8610 in a custom housing to work with a Z32 rear upright.

Here is what mine looks like currently... still waiting on the rest of my GC order to show up. I'll be running some 550lb springs up front and 400lb springs in the rear.

Where the glan nut is threaded into the top to secure the insert into the housings.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #55
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Correct, they are held in by a round head hex bit bolt/lock washer. I'll probably be using off the shelf Koni rears also. Cool thing is w/ this setup once you have it finished you can just swap out shocks and springs. S chassis stock struts are dime a dozen. If you eff it up, get another one.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #56
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is friggin great.

Evolution.

Added to the logs of "common 240 lore".

Life is Good.

A year or 2 ago, this thread would've been 3+ pages of me, Drift Freaq, and a few other vets trying to bat down the overwhelming hordes of ignorants who swore GC's were just the same as DropZone or APC or any other eBay-ish manufacturerer.
Arriving late to the thread, and seeing it already pages long, I expected the worst. Overjoyed am I to see so many Zilvians with CORRECT and ACCURATE knowledge on this subject Finally!

I luv u guys
I guess I'm just all sunshine and buttercups today
Must be cuz this is my Three Thousandth Post

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #57
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Fromxtor, so wait, are you saying there's something at the bottom to hold yours in? Or have you not welded on a threaded section for the gland nut on the top yet?

But anyway, I like the 8611, the 8610 is also good, but the compression curve didn't match the numbers I was looking for the last time I ran the numbers. But I think it was for an 600/500 setup. As for the rear, I'm not sure if the off the shelf yellow is the best option. I mean it will work, don't get me wrong there. But I just wish there was something a little more comparable in price and quality to the 8611 for the rear. But Koni doesn't offer any twin tube, double adjustable shock that would work for the rear for approximately the same price. You could always use a strut insert in the back and it should work fine.

Or I guess there is always the option of having Koni convert a yellow to double adjustable and well they're in there, they could also revalve it. I can't remember what it costs for them to do that, but it wasn't cheap, $400-500 per shock, I think. But in the end, you would still have a pretty nice setup.

As for ground control, just look at what I posted before. If you guys are that into this and want to save some money, you can find sleeves, collars and hats other places and then get Hypercoils springs from a lot of places and it will probably come in a good bit less than ground control. I'm not saying buy the ebay crap, but there are a lot of good quality pieces out there that will work for this.

And whoever said swift springs, why would you waste money on them, when there are better options easily available in the states. Hypercoils is my obvious choice, but even Eibach (who makes ground contols springs) would be better and cheaper than swift.

Tim
DriftAssNation
Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #58
fromxtor
Post Whore!

^^ Yes the Koni shocks have a threaded area at the base, So the bolt goes right through the strut to the shock. I cant take better pics later.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #59
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Right, the yellows do, but I didn't think the 86 series did.
DriftAssNation
Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #60
Leetheslacker
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Leetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have off the shelf gc's and illumina's on my FC. im no suspension god but its a good setup.

i got the gc's on some blown stock shocks for $150, and it was horrible when i ran it for fun until the illuminas came in.

but once the illuminas went in, it was smooooth.

with camber plates itll go as low as any other coilover in the front, the back is still limited, but its possible to get shorter springs to fix that. ive had it low enough to rub 205/50/16's up front on the frame rail above the tire under normal braking and never bottomed out the shock.

it isnt as stiff as the namebrand one piece coilovers, but its still plenty stiff, and they still work great.
its night and day from stock and handles great when im not sliding, and when i am sliding. car is so much tighter with them, it feels like a whole new car.

yeah i went with it because i got a killer deal, but its still a good setup.
Leetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote