Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #1051
turbo-2ns
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
turbo-2ns is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
q45 is factory vlsd , here is a install, at my local pick n pull i can get every thing to do the swap for under $200 if you have a pick n pull local i would use them they are about 1/2 price of what i was told at other junk yards
Install Guide: Q45 Differential swap into 240SX subframe : 240SX Technical Forum
turbo-2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #1052
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
The OEM Q45 diff is VLSD. With the larger 31 spline axles and gearing 3.54,most people doing any type of straight line racing have no issues. I have seen these setups pushed to 800+rwhp and 700+lbs. tq and have NO issues.

TRC has used it in their 9sec 240sx-2JZ, Sam Collier (RoadRacer4Life) used the swap on his 9sec S14-2JZ, Sound Performance was using it on Sijs 1405rwhp 3.4L stroked 2JZ-240sx, BabillaRacing used one on his beast, and Ben Freed was using one till he got an R32 diff (I believe). Trust me you will be fine with the Q45 setup.

KA24DEvelopment.com :: VLSD Swap Information
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #1053
Slo_240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Slo_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's why I like my Ford 8.8/9. I can gear the sucker from anything as low as 2.xx to 6.xx lol. Right now I have 3.55s on a 28" tire. That gearing will dip me into the 8's if it sticks.
Slo_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #1054
turbo-2ns
Zilvia Junkie

problem with the 8.8 or 9in is most racing classes do not allow straight axles if not equipt from the factory, and custom axles for a cobra irs 8.8 or a custom irs 9in is not a cheap option
plenty of people go 8s on the stock q45 rear and axles and its cheap/easy swap
you have 2 final drive ratios out of the box 90-96 Q45 had a 3.54, and the 97-01 had a 3.69, and others have claimed using FD from auto 350z and other cars
Old 08-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #1055
Slo_240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Slo_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Got her fully tuned at Cunningham Motorsports in Murrieta/Temecula.. Super conservative street tune with a very clean linear graph. 784Whp / 811TQ on a mustang dyno. While we were adjusting the boost controller, I set it and we did a pull to see where boost was at.. It made 888whp / 930TQ at 24 psi at 5400RPM and let off. Oops, turned it back down haha. Could have kicked it up and made 1000hp but this is my fun little street car. I am happy at 800 for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=div56opZIaY
Slo_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #1056
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
looks and sounds Great. Bring her out on the 24th to Barona for some fun. We are taking the rolla out to play with a big block NOS Nova.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #1057
newslidz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
newslidz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to newslidz
Hey guys trying to get a idea and dial in maybe a little better of a setup.
right now ive got bc coils and I know thats not helping but on the street I can catch almost dead hook. cars on 275/40/17 mickey t radials. a few things I was thinking of was going over to a 26x10.50 bias ply to stay class legal and run them on my na z wheels.

As far as suspension I currently dont have a front sway bar in because it hits my oil pan. but was looking into the guys running stock style suspension. ive got tokico blues and eibach springs that came with my car when i bought it. but was thinking maybe some of the kyb adjustable.

also gonna do a alignment with the drag set up and try to get just a tad positive camber so when it comes down I get more of a square contact patch. once I get my new motor done it should make some power but the best so far was on 8lbs and a lifting head 310whpish

JUST A RED TOP SR
newslidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #1058
itsguyguy
Zilvia Junkie

itsguyguy is an unknown quantity at this point
@Slo, your S13 looks amazing, man. Turn her up to hit those four digits!

@sr20s13abel, that is one amazing coupe you have! Do you have any other videos of street action? Maybe you can PM me the links? Would love to see her on kill mode!

Highway queen isn't doing much now, just putting around and waiting for fall/winter when she gets cooler to get a proper tune on C16.

Anybody on here with a forged bottom end RB26 running E85? Pros and cons?
Maybe even methanol?

I would love to hear some input.
itsguyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #1059
Stumped

Trader Rating: (0)
Stumped is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well I dont have any 4 cylinder experience but I can tell you if you can do e85 do it. The cooling effect alone is worth it unless you have a air 2 water intercooler then stick with c16.

I would not recommend methanol for a street car because the fuel washes down the cylinder walls and contaminates the oil requiring very frequent oil changes. You may have to change it after every time you run the car. The biggest advantage to methanol is you can just ditch the intercooler altogether to save weight.

Con of e85 or methanol is it requires alot more fuel system as I'm sure you know.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #1060
turbo-2ns
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I would not recommend methanol for a street car because the fuel washes down the cylinder walls and contaminates the oil requiring very frequent oil changes. .
i would assume he is talking about methanol injection , as far as contaminating the oil e85 does the same thing just not as much you should change it every 1000 miles or every track outing also i would never run garbage e85 out of a pump, its to inconsistent and has contimanation problems, if you want to run e I would use ignight or vp c85

testing wev done from local pumps throught the year the e85 can range from 62% eth. to 88%
not something you want to deal with if you ask me,.

pros to e85, you can be more agressive with the tune and timing, the car will spool faster and make more power, cheaper than some race gas, and is on pump local to most people now a days

cons, its inconsistent, holds water, like to eat seals, tanks, pumps and lines any thing thats not E compatable
you have to have more fuel system to make the same power, it will wash rings and destroy bearings if not changed often, since so much fuel enters the combustion chamber it hides the knock so you will never hear it, E based fuels are no longer fundeded by the government, so E prices will go up almost 100% over the next 2 years, cold starts suck in the winter price per gallon/less MPG= not cheaper to run over say a 100oct race fuel
And IMO it smells like shit
i would still treat pump e85 like i would 93oct, its pump gas dont push the limits of your car on something with little quality control
have I run e85 yes, do I like it, yes, would i use it in my "RACE" car? no not out of the pump but ignight, vp or any other barel E based fuel that is quality controled, and holds a consistent octain rating, yes
Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #1061
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
To the guys running Mickey Thompson ET Street radials, what kind of tire pressure do you usually run on the street? (more specifically those guys with the 275/40/17 M/T)
Old 08-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #1062
newslidz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
newslidz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to newslidz
I most of the time putt around on like 25psi but at the track ill bring it down to like 17-18. according to Mickeys website with the weight of our cars were supposed to be around 18-20 psi

JUST A RED TOP SR
newslidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #1063
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

If you do go the E85 route make sure that you have proper filtration for the fuel...as someone mentioned it can be a very dirty and contaminated fuel. I was going to use E85 with my setup before I sold it but I also had a Pro-Efi and wouldnt want to run E85 with anything else. The Pro-Efi auto-compensates for the ethanol content and manipulates the tune to make sure all of the parameters adjust accordingly.....dont ask me anything about the capabilities or the tune as that was going to be left to the pro's.

Though some people have had success with typical SS lines I had Teflon Coated lines made for my setup as I know that Teflon and E85 are compatible. Some of the synthetic material in your typical SS lines may not be compatible and may degrade over time especially if the E85 is not purged (fuel sits in lines).

Moral to the story is that if you want a trouble free E85 compatible fuel system you will need to address the entire fuel system to make sure that everything is compatible. There is a E85 thread here were we were discussing the topic....some pretty good info there.

Last edited by 2muchboost; 08-14-2013 at 07:11 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #1064
itsguyguy
Zilvia Junkie

itsguyguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you everyone for your input and thoughts on E85.

I'm probably going to stick with C16/V16 for the future. Sounds like too much of a pain to redo everything into E85 and that you would have to be anal and constantly check everything to make sure everything is in good shape.

I just want to change the settings on the hand held, load the race map, and pour in the race gas, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
To the guys running Mickey Thompson ET Street radials, what kind of tire pressure do you usually run on the street? (more specifically those guys with the 275/40/17 M/T)

When I was at 550WHP (Stock RB26 with studs, valve springs/retainers, 260/260 Poncam + PT6765 .84 T4 with supporting mods) tuned at 15.6lbs 93 octane at 8200, I ran 295/45/17 MT Street ET II's on 19psi to hook really well.

Before, I would keep her at 26-28psi until a friend insisted that I lowered down to feel the difference, and I must say, it does make a big difference in hooking, at least in my book.

Currently, I have my 275/40/17 Streets at 28psi but I don't really get on her much since it's hot and it's not a fine tune, just a street tune. Once it gets cooler and I get a proper tune on C16, I'll let you guys know with video comparisons of different settings while testing the car.

I have one right now, but it's very slow from the start. She starts to pick up quickly after 90. I can't find the rules and regulations about posting videos, so I'll roll the dice. I hope the mods don't put me in time out for posting this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBVbdVVm5VU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf0ur2kLz58
itsguyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #1065
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

what is this non sense on e85?
cold start suck? work on your start up map
your station have varying % of Ethenol? not mine i tested mine and was always consistant with E85 and sometimes as high as E90.
i let 5gal of fuel stand in a fuel jug for 3months!!!!! in my hot ass garage and tested it before and after sitting and got the same reading and threw it in the tank and ran on it.
there are so many this and that being thrown around from every which way about e85 without people truely taking it for what its worth.
ive been running it in cars since 2010 without not 1 issue.
as far as timing hell you i had more timing in my e85 map then i did my c16 map.
you guys would shit yourself if you saw my timing map....... lol
Old 08-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #1066
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

@[email protected] am assuming your somewhere warmer than us here in NY. There is a winter blend E85 and a summer blend E85 variable for us. E85 as its labeled can vary from E65 to E90 up here and we have been watching these numbers using the Pro-Efi users throughout the Long Island and the rest of the Tri-State area. Sometimes we find a difference in blend between gas stations which are less than 10 miles apart.

And the only reason that I mentioned that compatibility of Teflon is that for some reason or another we have witnessed E85 cause some degradation issues sometimes (typically rare but has happened). I know for a fact that Teflon is compatible as my buddy is a polymer/materials engineer and did lots of work with the fuel for other reasons than car use. Not saying it hasnt worked flawlessly with off the shelf SS braided lines on numerous cars, heck one of my good friends has run the fuel for a year with no issues (though he is anal about leaving any residual E85 in his fuel system), but I was referring to having a fuel system that is compatible with 0 doubts. Again, I am not sure exactly what the factors have been causing issues with degradation (I believe its a variable between the different qualities of polymer being used between manufacturers and even batches within the same manufacturer) but again no solid evidence of my theory just brainstorming.

Here is a link (via google no magic here) that gives you some of the information that NREL provided using some government funded research.
http://iqlearningsystems.com/ethanol...patibility.pdf
Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #1067
turbo-2ns
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@nt0s View Post
what is this non sense on e85?
cold start suck? work on your start up map
your station have varying % of Ethenol? not mine i tested mine and was always consistant with E85 and sometimes as high as E90.
i let 5gal of fuel stand in a fuel jug for 3months!!!!! in my hot ass garage and tested it before and after sitting and got the same reading and threw it in the tank and ran on it.
there are so many this and that being thrown around from every which way about e85 without people truely taking it for what its worth.
ive been running it in cars since 2010 without not 1 issue.
as far as timing hell you i had more timing in my e85 map then i did my c16 map.
you guys would shit yourself if you saw my timing map....... lol
its not a start up map problem, its the fact that E does not like to ignight in cold temp, im not talking about when the motor is cold im taking about when its 30* out side, try putting some in your freezer than dump it on the ground and see how hard it is to light, iv installed tank heaters on cars to fix this problem.
Im happy for you that you stations that stock E85 are consistent, consider your self lucky, its not like thet every where.
your gas sitting in a seald jug should stay good for a long time i had e98 in a barrel for over 5years that never went bad,as long as you keep the moistur out your good heat wont effect it.
As far as you running more timing over c16 yes that is one of the advantages of running E and im sure your timing maps wouldent supprise me compared to some of the things iv done in my past trying to make/run a number.

some one asked for peoples experance on e85 so I gave him mine which are real world both pros and cons.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #1068
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

no reason to reinvent the wheel is basically what im saying i mean come on i could come up with tons of cons with running C16 its leaded etc. for anyone that is running on a non professional basis pump e85 works fine.
yes here in socal i doubt we have the vary % like you guys would in the NE.
our are listed to be as low as E70 but i have never seen it.

Now if someone goes e85 and tunes it balls to the wall then ya a pump e85 tune will vary from pump to pump from station to station but a well tuned not on full kill mode will be fine on e85.
my evo wasnt on kill mode when i DD'd it but it had almost zero is only 3-5 counts of knock with different e85 stations.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #1069
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Makes sense....or buy a Pro-Efi and call it a day JK JK
Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #1070
turbo-2ns
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
Makes sense....or buy a Pro-Efi and call it a day JK JK
in dont even want to go in to all the cons with the pro-efi
good thing is every one is starting to realise it so you can pick them up cheap...
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #1071
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-2ns View Post
its not a start up map problem, its the fact that E does not like to ignight in cold temp, im not talking about when the motor is cold im taking about when its 30* out side, try putting some in your freezer than dump it on the ground and see how hard it is to light, iv installed tank heaters on cars to fix this problem.
Im happy for you that you stations that stock E85 are consistent, consider your self lucky, its not like thet every where.
your gas sitting in a seald jug should stay good for a long time i had e98 in a barrel for over 5years that never went bad,as long as you keep the moistur out your good heat wont effect it.
As far as you running more timing over c16 yes that is one of the advantages of running E and im sure your timing maps wouldent supprise me compared to some of the things iv done in my past trying to make/run a number.

some one asked for peoples experance on e85 so I gave him mine which are real world both pros and cons.
i made a reply and it didnt post and i forgot wth i wrote LOL.
so ummmmmm the start up can vary from person to person. My evo took 4-5 turns to crank on in the wint was like 40ish degrees out. with the then new owner after me i seen him take a while to start it so technique helps but also my start up map had a lot of time into it to get her like butter.
to each their own its just that a lot of people get discouraged to run it because of the things people say and kind of blow it out of proportion.

after i made the switch i will never run race gas again the $ spent isnt worth it.
im finishing up another e85 set up to see 40psi so lets see how she likes it
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #1072
turbo-2ns
Zilvia Junkie

on one set up we did, on e85 the car runs out of fuel on 6 id2000s and a welden pump at around 1280whp, on VPc23 the car maxed out the dyno at 1500whp, so in this case the car runs pump E85 on the street and c23 at the track, at that point it is more cost effective to run race gas at the track2-3 times a year instead of more fuel upgrades since it takes less fuel to make more power over E
Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #1073
WhiteS12+1
Leaky Injector

WhiteS12+1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright guys trying to address my traction issues now that my car is tuned. Nothing outrageous just 350whp on a DD dyno with a 2871r setup.

Anyhow my current set up is 17x9 +22 front with 215/45/17 falken rt615 and 17x10+22 with 235/40/17 faken rt615 (I know, I know). I like the MT E/T streets, but don't know if 275/40/17 will fit on the back due to the offset of my rims? If they would I would move the 235's up front? Does anybody have any experience with fitting the 275 on a similar spec'd wheel? Also I am open to any other suggestions/recommendations. I really want to to try and use the rims I have currently. The car is not a my daily, so I am not to concrned with wear. I thought about buying a spare set of rims to mount the drag radials on, but am also concerned with traction on the street.
I also thought about the Nittos in 245/45/17, but don't know if they would be ideal for traction on a 17x10. Any input or advice would be appreciated.
WhiteS12+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #1074
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Strecht tires???? Do you plan to drift on the strip? No street tires will hook on the strip. Drag radials is fine on dry street.
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #1075
SQUAREroot

SQUAREroot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteS12+1 View Post
Alright guys trying to address my traction issues now that my car is tuned. Nothing outrageous just 350whp on a DD dyno with a 2871r setup.

Anyhow my current set up is 17x9 +22 front with 215/45/17 falken rt615 and 17x10+22 with 235/40/17 faken rt615 (I know, I know). I like the MT E/T streets, but don't know if 275/40/17 will fit on the back due to the offset of my rims? If they would I would move the 235's up front? Does anybody have any experience with fitting the 275 on a similar spec'd wheel? Also I am open to any other suggestions/recommendations. I really want to to try and use the rims I have currently. The car is not a my daily, so I am not to concrned with wear. I thought about buying a spare set of rims to mount the drag radials on, but am also concerned with traction on the street.
I also thought about the Nittos in 245/45/17, but don't know if they would be ideal for traction on a 17x10. Any input or advice would be appreciated.
Ok... maybe I just dont understand the whole import thing with tires.... but why are you not putting at least a 285/40 tire on that wheel? No wonder you guys cut such bad 60' times. lol

Also, keep in mind...Nittos usually run a little smaller than they claim.
SQUAREroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #1076
WhiteS12+1
Leaky Injector

WhiteS12+1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, if I was not clear in my first post. I am looking to get rid of the stretch tires, that came with my wheels. I bought them without doing my research several years ago. I want to run drag radials for better traction. I am needing help on what size is best for my wheels mentioned above, without having to get crazy with making them fit.
WhiteS12+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #1077
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Gonna have a hard time fitting 275's with that offset. Your question belongs in the max tire thread, not in here.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #1078
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
You can use widebody kit to fit big tires. I put 315/35/17 on my 17x10. It still spins the whole 1/8 mile. For me street tires is useless at the strip.
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #1079
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

go with this hoosier and youll love it
245/45/17

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-17328/overview/
Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #1080
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
Did my second 1/8th mile drag event today (technically it is short of 1/8th mile; it's only 500 feet).

Anyway, I was one of 3 240s that showed up. One was a Chevy v8 swapped drift car with R compound 245/40/17 full slicks and the other one besides me was a stock KA I think.

The last time I went out I had about an 1/8th of a tank of fuel. This time I went with a full tank and a speaker box with a pair of 12s, and turned my boost controller gain down 5 points. It resulted in a consistent 0.4 second improvement in 1/8th mile times over my last trip, but I still spun most of 1st and 2nd. Trap speeds at 500 feet were around 75mph, while several of the 8.0 second cars were hitting the finish at 65mph or less.

I raced the first two races against the v8 240 and neither of us hooked up but I still beat him both times. I ran a couple back to back 7.9 second runs spinning through first and second. Mid track I could absolutely pull away from him in 2nd and especially third. Eventually he started launching off idle and he broke out of his bracket with a 7.4s run, but I never got below 7.9. I did get 3rd in the 8.0 second bracket running around 8.04s for a few runs but I think it was beginner's luck.

First thing I did when I got home (besides downloading GoPro footage) was to start shopping for drag radials and q45 diff/rear end swap parts. With a line lock, rear end and pre-loaded drag radials I think I should be able to get into the 7.5 or 7.0 bracket. I have been watching for a set of bigs and littls off a Mustang to show up but I haven't seen anything yet.