Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
teedubs14

Trader Rating: (0)
teedubs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CA Engine Swap

Don't know if I'm posting in the right forum, I'm fairly new. I got a '96 240sx, I'm looking to do an engine swap and was wondering what engines would fit in it and is still CA legal. Any suggestions
teedubs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
NismoDriverS13
Zilvia Junkie

NismoDriverS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
No engine swaps are legal in California

also, do research...you can find all of this information online, dmv, Google are all at your disposal.

Have fun, good luck
NismoDriverS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Primo's Silvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Primo's Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I have been reasearching all over its a pile of deep shyt in Cali -.-
Only one tht i have been reading upon is the " same year same make swap with all oem emission" but u still have to ref the car... On and on and on
Good luck
Primo's Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
teedubs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo's Silvia View Post
I have been reasearching all over its a pile of deep shyt in Cali -.-
Only one tht i have been reading upon is the " same year same make swap with all oem emission" but u still have to ref the car... On and on and on
Good luck
yes i've seen those too, I was thinking if a 1jz would be ca legal to put in since it fits in the 240
Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
teedubs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoDriverS13 View Post
No engine swaps are legal in California

also, do research...you can find all of this information online, dmv, Google are all at your disposal.

Have fun, good luck
cali laws are too strict ... but i have seen something about if the car is the same year or newer you can use do the swap. thanks and i'll keep researching!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
POScoupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
POScoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2jz can be legal, the engine your swapping needs to be the same year or newer than your car, you need to have all, and i mean ALL (if its obd2 you need obd2 everything, even gas tank) the smog equipment that was originally on the supra you took it from, that supra needs to be a california car and you need to go to the smog referee to get a BAR label. You can do this with any motor that was original to a car made for the states. Ls motors, 1uz's, VG30DETT's. Anything that was originally sold with a car in the states. A 1jz wouldnt be legal because no car was sold in the states with a 1jz installed.

The car will then be smogged as whatever engine that is, if its an 2jzgte from a supra, your car will be smogged as a supra, if its a ls, whatever you took the ls from.

-Proof, Im interning for a CA referee and have smogged engine swapped vehicles and issued legal BAR labels.
POScoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
teedubs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by POScoupe View Post
2jz can be legal, the engine your swapping needs to be the same year or newer than your car, you need to have all, and i mean ALL (if its obd2 you need obd2 everything, even gas tank) the smog equipment that was originally on the supra you took it from, that supra needs to be a california car and you need to go to the smog referee to get a BAR label. You can do this with any motor that was original to a car made for the states. Ls motors, 1uz's, VG30DETT's. Anything that was originally sold with a car in the states. A 1jz wouldnt be legal because no car was sold in the states with a 1jz installed.

The car will then be smogged as whatever engine that is, if its an 2jzgte from a supra, your car will be smogged as a supra, if its a ls, whatever you took the ls from.

-Proof, Im interning for a CA referee and have smogged engine swapped vehicles and issued legal BAR labels.
sweet info man!!! so i would be able to do a 2jz swap from a supra bc it was a car that was sold in the US with that engine in it. does that mean i am able to import a stock 2jz off a supra from japan?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #8
POScoupe
Leaky Injector

POScoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Im not a supra expert so I dont know if theres a difference between a jdm supra engine and a usdm supra engine. If your planning on doing a 2jz my best advice is to find a totaled complete supra so you have every piece you need (including trans and fuel tank), and seeing that its a 96 your going to have alot of fun getting obd2 to work right.
POScoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
There is difference between us and jdm 2jzgte
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
people still swap in CAs? what is this 2003? i mean its not a bad engine but parts availability isnt as good as an sr and you will probably end up spending as much to swap a CA in as you would an SR. Both are Illegal so.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
Aspire818
Zilvia Member

Aspire818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
people still swap in CAs? what is this 2003? i mean its not a bad engine but parts availability isnt as good as an sr and you will probably end up spending as much to swap a CA in as you would an SR. Both are Illegal so.
Hes talkin about the state cali
Not the ca18det....