Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #91
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmercer
damn you went from 1k grit straight to compound? brutal.

I wanted to use some 2000 grit, but I got lazy haha.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #92
burukan

burukan is an unknown quantity at this point
was wondering the ratio of mineral spirits to paint you used? did you dilute the gallon, or just a smaller amount per use ?
burukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #93
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
looks hott, roller ftw, i did the same thing

Last edited by ms!3; 04-11-2007 at 08:43 PM..
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #94
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Look at the skin of an orange, then go look at a poorly painted or un-wet-sanded paint job. All your questions will dissappear.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #95
Eric240sx1990
Leaky Injector

Eric240sx1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
very interesting...

looks nice man! props on that!

What were your outside temps when doing this?

I plan on doing a spray job on my car now that I have a compressor , just need a hvlp gun.
Eric240sx1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:40 AM   #96
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by burukan
was wondering the ratio of mineral spirits to paint you used? did you dilute the gallon, or just a smaller amount per use ?
Really don't have a ratio to follow, it depends on the weather and quanity your mixing. But if you need some type of guidance, I started off with 1 part paint, 2 parts mineral spirit. I mixed in a seperate container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric240sx1990
very interesting...

looks nice man! props on that!

What were your outside temps when doing this?
70-80 degrees with humidity around 60%
Old 09-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #97
sepulchral
BANNED

sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
how long does paint like this last and i looked couldnt find the cure time? simples14 u ever on aim i tried to im you
sepulchral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #98
mikesim

mikesim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikesim
Quote:
Originally Posted by undesiredshoe
On the hood, is that bird poo or something with the paint??
it's the washer nozzle opening.

being in the autobody business teaches you many things. you CAN make a rolled on paint job look like someone sprayed it with a SATA HVLP 2000 if you take the time to wetsand the paint. orange peel on stock nissans nowadays are terrible.

good job man. if you keep at it with the wetsanding and remove all the orange peel, you'll have a show quality look to it. orange peel is super hard to see in pics, but the hood looks great. that final polish will give it some gloss, although not as much as having some clear on it. single stage enamels are designed to have a glossy finish.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:59 PM   #99
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesim
it's the washer nozzle opening.

being in the autobody business teaches you many things. you CAN make a rolled on paint job look like someone sprayed it with a SATA HVLP 2000 if you take the time to wetsand the paint. orange peel on stock nissans nowadays are terrible.

good job man. if you keep at it with the wetsanding and remove all the orange peel, you'll have a show quality look to it. orange peel is super hard to see in pics, but the hood looks great. that final polish will give it some gloss, although not as much as having some clear on it. single stage enamels are designed to have a glossy finish.
Show quality? NO.

Acceptable? Depends what the person's standards are.

Would I ever do it? NOPE.

Respect for all the time and effort, but there's just better ways to do things.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #100
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Respect for all the time and effort, but there's just better ways to do things.
Right you are. But the key word here is "cheap".
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:21 PM   #101
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
Mano FTW...

fckinmsglenght
Old 09-22-2006, 07:21 PM   #102
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
what did you do about the swirl marks, what compound?

Last edited by ms!3; 04-11-2007 at 08:44 PM..
Old 09-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #103
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
It has NOTHING to do with color, and everything to do with TEXTURE. Are you sure you can figure this out by yourself?

Old 09-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #104
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

^^^lol, i feel stupid now i just figured out what it was. lol i just saw the word orange and thought that orange peel was orange on the car. feel free to flame.:hammer:
Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #105
S13SilviaGirl
UGH Really?

Trader Rating: (4)
S13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS!3
well i could kind of figure that out but how do you get orange peel from white paint?

seriously, earl schiebe it...$300. Done.

My Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCSuperstar
I surf Zilvia naked in my home...
S13SilviaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #106
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS!3
well i could kind of figure that out but how do you get orange peel from white paint?
Obviously not. What ThatGuy is saying is the bumps in the paint that occur from bad paint jobs is similar to what the texture of an orange peel looks like.
understanding a basic comparison>You
edit...........
OK now you post that while I decided to respond...so I take it back

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #107
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

lol, well mabey since theres been like 5 new posts on the same thread is like 5 mins you missed my response, but i did say feel free to flame. but i get it now. just not thinking right i guess.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #108
'90RPS13
BANNED

'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to '90RPS13
Very clean. I would be dow for it but I have way to many dents and dings. Maybe get them pulled out and then take a shot? *a
'90RPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #109
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor
I say do it alec, we're practicing on a 240 hood when I get home
Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 PM   #110
sepulchral
BANNED

sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
imo i think that looks amazingly good and i may consider doing it, i never keep my cars longer than a year anyways, that looks great
sepulchral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:37 AM   #111
Indolent
Zilvia FREAK!

Indolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Indolent
looks good man, you make me want to do my whole car, it made me decide to try it out on my fenders, but with a spray can instead (thought it'd be faster/better)

^ my fender(s) I did the spray can job, yes it literally looks that glossy, just too bad i don't have a buffer so it could've been better, and there is absolutely no orange peel, oh and yes it's BLACK too haha, but it didn't really take me long, only letting it dry overnight took me the longest, wet sanding wasn't bad (time-wise)
Indolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #112
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER (X INFINITY) DO THAT SHIET AGAIN!!!

Im one of those impatient bastards plus my elbows still hurt to this day from all the in between coats wet sanding...

Yes spray paint is easier but the catch is...6-8 months down the road...that black paint aint gonna be black no more. Imagine it an offset of gray and brown at the same time. Trust me I know, my car was rattlecanned before the roll on, now it got a somewhat legit paint job for $300.

From this...

to this...(rattle canned semi-gloss)

to this...(roll-on with the 2-tone funk...i got lazy masking the windows)

to the final paint when i try to sell it again...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #113
corey240
Zilvia Junkie

corey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to corey240 Send a message via MSN to corey240
thes paint jobs arent bad at all. i wish they had a close color to my green. im thinking aobut doing this to my zenki s14. would you guys that have done this happen to know what the best shade of that paint they have to be close to oem as possible?and i mean the red not the green bumper...

corey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #114
Indolent
Zilvia FREAK!

Indolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Indolent
www.paintscratch.com
expensive but i hear good things about it
Indolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #115
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Simple. I gotta hand it to you. You're the man. GREAT looking paint job at a fraction of the price.

You're one of the only badass DIY guys on here who ISN'T a total dick!

I've appriciated your online help from times of doing my kouki conversion to picking an mp3 player. thanks!
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #116
luckyrb13
Leaky Injector

luckyrb13 is making a name for him/her selfluckyrb13 is making a name for him/her selfluckyrb13 is making a name for him/her self
Iam doing my s14 as well. But iam doing the body work my self and taking it to quality shop where they know how to spray. so far its been a week and iam almost ready to take it to the body shop. Ive spent about 200 hundred on prep materials and iam lookingto spend about 500 on paint and about 300 hundred to get it sprayed. it should come out real nice iam taking pics the whole time so i can post it when its all done. Still got to hand it to simple s14 came out pretty nice for so cheap.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:05 PM   #117
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Alright I'm gonna do this. defently my paint is so fucked its nto even cool. so what color should I do Black or White? its an S13 Coupe with Silvia Front. All OEM Panels. I have a Big ass Aitrcompressor (about 6ft tall) dunno how many gallons btu its huge. and a gravity fed Airgun. what do you guys think???? any Opinions or advice. besides taking my sweet ass time.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 09-24-2006 at 02:11 AM..
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:10 AM   #118
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
I know this is S14 SImple's thread and i dont want to steal his thunder but i wanted to share with everyone the potential of patience.

BEFORE:

---->
2 layers on the hood, 1 layer on the fenders. All done at night. The fenders were done on the 2nd night where i applied the 2nd layer on the hood. I mixed the paint too thin that day and there is a slight amount of run on my fenders but no biggy. I am not complaining, its better than flatblack.

AFTER:

:thumbup:

it looks pretty good in person too, well the panels that had more coats on them atleast. The most coats, the better. People who see my car in the parking lot at work everyday has commented on my paint job and asked if it was a Maaco job (looks good but not show perfect.)
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #119
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240
Simple. I gotta hand it to you. You're the man. GREAT looking paint job at a fraction of the price.

You're one of the only badass DIY guys on here who ISN'T a total dick!

I've appriciated your online help from times of doing my kouki conversion to picking an mp3 player. thanks!
haha thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyrb13
Ive spent about 200 hundred on prep materials
Excuse my curiousity...but what materials did you get?

Silverbullet - Progress is looking good...and I should remind the people that you used a Wagner gun vs. a roller.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #120
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

OK

I had to bump this thread to let everyone know what I finished making a write-up. It's actually more like a journal IMO.

http://www.ss14.net/writeup_rollerpj.html

Let me know what you guys think...esspecially if there are any typos haha