Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 03:17 AM   #1
bosozoku.s14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
bosozoku.s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
car rev up by itself and crashed! (long story)

heres the story:

i took my friend to a body shop pick up his integra...since he got in accident a month ago. and he had the shop to do a JDM front end conversion.

when we were on the way home i was driving slowly around 60mph, after two exits, i didnt see my friend behind me and i looked around to see if he was passing me...but nothing. so i called him up, he told me he lost control and crashed the car...when i drove back to the scene, his car was facing the incoming traffic on the freeway, he spun out and hit the center divider on the freeway. the whole new jdm front end is gone, air bags popped out. this happened 10 mins after we left that bodyshop.

my friend explained everything to me how that happened:
all of a sudden the rpm keep going up, he tried to brake but the car keep going faster and faster. he pull the e-brake and hit the center divider.

anybody know what could cause that problem? (car rev up by itself)
is that possible he could file a lawsuit against the bodyshop?
if so, what kind of lawyer should we try to contact?

any help would be highly appreciated.
thank you so much for your time

Teddy
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2005, 03:20 AM   #2
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
throttle got stuck open
Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 AM   #3
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
How'd he hit the center divider? I'm guessing he panicked and hit the e-brake before he cut the ignition?

But yeah you can't really blame an autobody shop for a stuck throttle.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:04 AM   #4
citizen
Zilvia FREAK!

citizen is making a name for him/her selfcitizen is making a name for him/her selfcitizen is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to citizen
unless they bonbo'd the tb open that is lol~
Old 03-23-2005, 04:05 AM   #5
WhiteNissanS13
Zilvia Addict

WhiteNissanS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to WhiteNissanS13 Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteNissanS13
why didnt he just turn the car off?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
because he was driving an integra with jdm front end.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNissanS13
why didnt he just turn the car off?
Because all rational thought in his brain was clouded by the uber tyte JDM-ness of his new front end and it seemed like a better idea to pull the ebrake instead of turning the fucking key off. Without people like this, we would HAVE no Darwin awards, they're necessary.

And I write too!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:10 AM   #8
KOUKI KA-T
Zilvia FREAK!

KOUKI KA-T is on a distinguished road
Reminds me of that episode of "Rescue 911" they used to play every month way back in the day. where the same thing happened to some dumb bitch in a jetta, she called 911 and they were trying to tell her to turn the car off... she just kept screaming, almost ran over some people in the breakdown lane then kept dodging cars and accelerating up to 90mph until she jumped the median and hit a truck on the other side.... she lived though so she only gets an Honarable Mention....
Old 03-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
bosozoku.s14
Zilvia Member

bosozoku.s14 is an unknown quantity at this point

theres nothing to do with the jdm or integra ok?
he almost hit the car in front of him thats why he pull the e-brake...but honestly though, this might be avoidable by clutch in and shut off ignition...

Thing is accident already happened it's not gonna help if we just keep blaming on him, he needs help guys...
Old 03-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #10
michael1284
Zilvia Member

michael1284 is an unknown quantity at this point
needs help w/ what...throttle got stuck open....he panicked...did the wrong and VERY STUPID THING...did he really think that pulling the ebrake would just make him slow down?! he needs to learn how to drive a car, which would help him w/ his instincts. maybe all the money he spent on his JdM-TytE frontend he should of taken driving lessons 101.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
s14alex
Leaky Injector

s14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of lights14alex is a glorious beacon of light
Ummmm Why not hit the normal brake instead????

I dont know much about integras.... but my car stops a shitload better when i use the pedal than the ebrake.... must be a honda thing.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Ok enough jackasses.

Seriously, I hope you filed a police report stating you just got your car from the body shop. Once that happens, have someone investigate how your throttle got stuck..maybe the body shop had to alter the throttle cable for one reason or another, and didn't put it back on right. Who knows what really happenend. But since he JUST got his car back, and crashed it within probably 5miles of the body shop, the body shop should be held liable for what had happen. You'll have to talk to a laywer, or someone who has legal background to help you. I'm sure it shouldn't be a tuff case.. but I'm far from laywer status.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #13
rps13sh
Zilvia FREAK!

rps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to rps13sh
if its not something with the throttle cable then check inside the throttle. might be something stuck inside like a piece of paper towel or something. either way, the integra guy should have popped it in neutral and stopped the car instead of ebraking on the highway.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #14
Rezlo
Zilvia Member

Rezlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rezlo
Or he was just driving far to fast and changing lanes and lost it, I dont know about his integra but all the ones ive drivin have pretty good brakes and will definaly slow down extreemly fast if you mash the brake while the gas is open, its one of those benefits of having no TQ.

If you try to start a lawsuit it will probably land up getting thrown out because of driver neglegence, and if it actualy whas his fault and he was doing somthing stupid and somone saw him and reported a different story to his he can get into serious trouble or go to jail for it.

Yes it realy does suck if the throttle realy did get stuck, but he should have known to put it in neutral and turn the key to the off position.
If he made that up to cover loosing control while driving wrecklessly and somone else reports it he isnt going to be to happy.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #15
rms13kid

rms13kid is an unknown quantity at this point
strange... how long has he used stick? it's only natural instinct to press in the clutch if your car doesn't stop. that alone would've allowed the "normal" brakes to take effect.

Well, my condolences to your friend there... that does suck. especially since it was right after getting it fixed. Jus hoping he learns from that and knows what to do the next time something like that happens.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:37 AM   #16
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
5spd solution:

press clutch in, coast off road, kill ignition

auto solution:

put in nuetral, coast off road, kill ignition

DISASTER AVERTED.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #17
nismo2491
Zilvia FREAK!

nismo2491 is making a name for him/her selfnismo2491 is making a name for him/her self
yeah I'm with the people saying he was probably driving like an ass and lost control. if he was behind you why didn't he pass you when his car all of a sudden started revving up and wouldn't slow down.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:13 PM   #18
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
I guess your friend paniced and was not thinking straight at all. He really doesn't have a case with the body shop, since he was suppose to inspect the car and sign it out saying everything is "ok". Also...why didn't he just put the car in neutral? Is his car automatic? I had the same ish happen to my bro's old civic. I hear there is a glitch with some Honda auto transmissions.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #19
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
5spd solution:

press clutch in, coast off road, kill ignition

auto solution:

put in nuetral, coast off road, kill ignition

DISASTER AVERTED.
What the hell? Um, no. If you pop your car into neutral then you just end up overrevving your engine. All you should do is cut the ignition, flash your hazards, then get the F off the road.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #20
EH9
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
EH9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you leave the car in gear while turning it off, won't the engine stop and stop the gears? I don't see why they'd free-wheel to get off the road. First thing, stop the engine from transmitting power to the ground, get it the fuck out of gear. Then be a nancy boy and bash your mad tyte R into the wall. Then blame someone else for your being a shitty driver.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #21
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom
What the hell? Um, no. If you pop your car into neutral then you just end up overrevving your engine. All you should do is cut the ignition, flash your hazards, then get the F off the road.
lets see:

worst case scenario is we replace a motor because it overrevved while i was safely directing my car off a major highway

OR

worst case scenario is i die because i tried to stop my car at 90mph with the Ebrake...

OR

this whole conversation is about some kid that lied about him losing control of a FWD car that is pretty known for being stable.

defensive driving is taking care of YOURSELF and OTHER DRIVERS... not necessarilly your car.

were you born this stupid or were you subjected to serious headtrauma as a child?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #22
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
lets see:

worst case scenario is we replace a motor because it overrevved while i was safely directing my car off a major highway

OR

worst case scenario is i die because i tried to stop my car at 90mph with the Ebrake...

OR

this whole conversation is about some kid that lied about him losing control of a FWD car that is pretty known for being stable.

defensive driving is taking care of YOURSELF and OTHER DRIVERS... not necessarilly your car.

were you born this stupid or were you subjected to serious headtrauma as a child?
So what you're saying is you can't possibly drive safely off the road with the engine off? Then maybe you should turn in your fucking license.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #23
Grip Gambler
Leaky Injector

Grip Gambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Grip Gambler
fuckin v-tech
Old 03-23-2005, 02:02 PM   #24
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
guess he panicked.

it's going to be difficult to make the case against the body shop. his word vs. theirs. in the end he's probably going to get screwed over and have to eat the cost.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #25
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
body shops never mess with wiring, unless wiring is involved... as for having the throttle stuck open thats kinda hard... check whats up with it either the cable or if something is jammed in there.... check how they wired the lights.. if it they tampered with unneccessary wires then thats a possibility. he should of cut the ignition and drove it off the road to the side... and never should of pulled the ebrake cause honda drivers dont know how to use it... sorry man for ur friend ..
Old 03-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #26
Slyce

Slyce is an unknown quantity at this point
It's easy to think of things that you would have done different while you're sitting in front of a computer. He probably panicked and just didn't think about turning the ignition off. I'm sure it happened pretty fast.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #27
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyce
I'm sure it happened pretty fast.
It was a Honda, it couldn't have been that fast.

Sorry couldn't resist. Glad the guy was okay.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #28
MakotoS13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom
So what you're saying is you can't possibly drive safely off the road with the engine off? Then maybe you should turn in your fucking license.
of course not. i thought what i said was pretty clear without in any way implying that it was impossible to steer a car that wasn't running off of the road.

HOWEVER, it would be easier to steer and completely natural to put the car out of gear or engage the clutch. it isn't gonna rev to 13K rpms, thats what rev limiters are for.

what would i do? engage clutch, get the hell off the road, try to pry up the pedal from the floor with my foot. all of this would take like 10 seconds tops.

DIFFERENCE in tactic does not in any way state that any other scenario is impossible. you're ASSuming, don't get your panties in a bunch.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #29
justinhustle
Nissanaholic!

justinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enough
this topic is as retarted as someone thinking a shop would bondo a throttle open

those damn type r's, so damn fast you cant even brake

he should put a parachute on the back next time, cuz he had one stickah too many
Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #30
o5i2
Leaky Injector

o5i2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to o5i2
kinda OT, but was it raining or wet out? i would imagine it being kinda hard to spin out with a FF... not too sure tho.
Closed Thread