Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #361
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13envy View Post
off topic, but hey codyace, i tried sending you an email on here about your ROM tune. let me know if you got it or not
Can't say I did. I need to relink that account from my army email to my civy email. Just PM me for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15specR View Post
Gain didn't help, I'll look into the ECU MAP setting and see whats up.
See if the directions for the Profec II on the EvoM forums can help

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #362
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
About to buy some cams for my setup. Any suggestions? I've been following this thread, and noticed alot of people run BC cams, but I also hear alot of bad stuff about BC too.
I'm leaning towards the HKS step 2 264 or the Tomei 260 Procams. Also what are your thoughts about Supertech valvesprings + retainers? Last, Greddy intake manifold worth buying or should I just keep stock? Thanks.

Current Setup:
S14 sr20det (kouki)
GT2871 .64
Tomei Expreme manifold
Tomei Expreme Elbow
3" Downpipe & test pipe
Greddy ti race exhaust
Nismo 555cc injectors
Warlbro 255 pump
Z32 Maf w/ hks intake
Blitz SBC-id III
Greddy FMIC & Greddy rs bov
Stock ecu w/ safc2 (ordering a PFC soon)
Apexi headgasket (on order)
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #363
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Def get an intake manifold. The BC valve springs and retainers are great though and you cant beat the price.

But as far as cams, i personally would get the HKS,. You can get away with stock valvesprings with them. Im not sure how long you spend near or at redline. Get a set of rocker arm stoppers as well.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #364
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
About to buy some cams for my setup. Any suggestions? I've been following this thread, and noticed alot of people run BC cams, but I also hear alot of bad stuff about BC too.
I'm leaning towards the HKS step 2 264 or the Tomei 260 Procams. Also what are your thoughts about Supertech valvesprings + retainers? Last, Greddy intake manifold worth buying or should I just keep stock? Thanks.

Current Setup:
S14 sr20det (kouki)
GT2871 .64
Tomei Expreme manifold
Tomei Expreme Elbow
3" Downpipe & test pipe
Greddy ti race exhaust
Nismo 555cc injectors
Warlbro 255 pump
Z32 Maf w/ hks intake
Blitz SBC-id III
lose the 550cc injectors and get 740's

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #365
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Supertech valvetrain components are good quality. Ask Mark over at Mazworx, I believe they are sponsored by Supertech, but anyways, it's good stuff.

I would suggest the JWT S3 cams for the GT2871r .64ar, HKS cams are good, but I have personal experience with that particular setup.

Intake manifold is a good idea too, as well as 740cc injectors as already suggested.

For engine management, I would just get an enthalpy tune if I were you. Being able to check codes is nice, plus with a setup like yours, Scott is likely to have a spot-on tune, you'll end up spending less money than buying a PFC, then paying to have it tuned too.

Lastly, you might want to go ahead and use ARP headstuds when you change out the headgasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

Current Setup:
S14 sr20det (kouki)
GT2871 .64
Tomei Expreme manifold
Tomei Expreme Elbow
3" Downpipe & test pipe
Greddy ti race exhaust
Nismo 555cc injectors
Warlbro 255 pump
Z32 Maf w/ hks intake
Blitz SBC-id III
anyotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 AM   #366
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Thanks for all the inputs. I was looking at JWT S3 cams, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I see it doesn't support NVCS for s14/s15 motors. I know I can disable vtc by unplugging the solenoid and using a s13 cam bolt, but I kinda want to keep vtc? I checked with enthalpy, they only have support for Zenki s14 WC ecu not the NA Kouki s14 ecu. So I'm kinda stuck there. Looks like I will be going with HKS cams and supertech springs+retainers. Anyone know a good place where to pick up a Greddy Intake Manifold? Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to have everything installed and post my results.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #367
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Tomei 260's support the NVCS and the run really well, drops right in, that's what I'm running in an s15 sr20 right now. I went with 740cc inj.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #368
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
which HKS cams are you looking at? 264's?

If you are looking to keep VTC does the PFC have that feature? I've tuned VVT-i with PFC, just can't remember if the SR boxes have support for that feature.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #369
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
i sent in to geta reflash today from scott. hopefully my car will be even better after that. i expect my numbers to drop though becasue he is going to up the fuel map. to make it not run so lean.
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #370
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

I was looking into the HKS 264 Step 2 Cams which are similar to the Tomei 260 Procams. If I remember correctly, the Tomei 260 Procams have a 12.0 lift vs the HKS 264 Step 2 11.5 lift. Correct me if I am wrong, from what I was told the PFC has support VTC.

S15SpecR: What valvesprings+retainers did you go with?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #371
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
^brian crower
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #372
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Mmmmm, debating on getting JWT C1 series cams and upping my game a little bit....

All of the OG FWD guys have been bothering me for a while on getting them...

Current: S3 - 260 Duration .442" lift (11.2ish)
Want: C1: 264 duration, .476" lift (12.0ish)

JWT goodness will strike even harder now

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 08-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #373
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Mmmmm, debating on getting JWT C1 series cams and upping my game a little bit....

All of the OG FWD guys have been bothering me for a while on getting them...

JWT goodness will strike even harder now
Nice, let us know the results...
Cams after coils are next on my wish list!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #374
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
s13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to s13envy Send a message via AIM to s13envy Send a message via MSN to s13envy Send a message via Yahoo to s13envy
codyace - my motor has the C1 cams in it. I just need to get it finished, new tune, break in and get it to the dyno and see how they do with the SC61 will let you know if i get that done before you get them installed.
s13envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #375
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

The Tomei's are 260 Duration with 12mm Lift, how would that differ performance wise from the:

or
Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #376
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15specR View Post
The Tomei's are 260 Duration with 12mm Lift, how would that differ performance wise from the:

or
Unsure about the Tomei cams

And alot of those JDM cams are measured (well all cams) differently, so ti's hard to say. Now obviously there is a correct way to measure cams, but (and I hate to admit such a thing), I really just take all cam measurements as a 'round a bout' reading, rather than as fact....for example, car's with JWT S3 cams have a broader and stronger powerband than those running BC 264/HKS264's at similar boost and mod level. Now those other brands may create more PEAK power, they dont' match the torque.

I'm really hoping that these C1 cams enable me to gain another 15-20 wheel trq over what I have now, and speed up spool time even sooner. That would rock

Old 08-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #377
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

So there's a possiblity with the diff. measuring tech's of manufact.'s the Tomei 260 and S3's maybe very similar.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #378
codyace
Post Whore!

They could, but they could also be very far off.

I'd personally run the S3's, and ditch the NVCS stuff. My car makes plenty of torque, and I'm even using an older head and the greddy plenum.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #379
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

WoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to WoolyS14DET
Hey guys I been following this thread for a few days now and I just wanted to put in my .02 !!!
Here is my current set-up......

Kouki S14DET
ARP Studs and rod bolts
Nismo Head Gasket
JWT Valve Springs
JWT C1 Cams
JWT ECU
Tomei RAS
Tomei Manifold
Tomei Outlet
Garett GT2871R
Tomei 555 Injectors
Z32 A/F Meter
Greddy Intake Manifold
Greddy Oil Pan
Greddy Pulleys

Im boosting 14-15 lbs all day every day I still have to take it back to be dyno tuned at JWT with this setup. All I can say is it pulls really hard and
has no issues and runs great !! I was torn between the Tomei cams and the JWT cams and I'll say this Im glad that I went with the JWT C1 cams !!
JWT is IMO the way to go !!
WoolyS14DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #380
codyace
Post Whore!

555's! Ditch those guys and get some 72 lbers in there hehe.

When yuo're at JWT, tell them Cody Ace and Ray Kawski said hi

Glad to see another member rockin hot cams You'll hafta post up dyno sheets for sure

Old 08-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #381
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

WoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
555's! Ditch those guys and get some 72 lbers in there hehe.

When yuo're at JWT, tell them Cody Ace and Ray Kawski said hi

Glad to see another member rockin hot cams You'll hafta post up dyno sheets for sure

Will do Cody Im prolly gonna make the move to the bigger injectors after I do the dyno tune. I wanna see where its at with the 555cc.
Dyno sheets to follow soon !!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #382
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
just went and got my car dynoed today
mods are:
s14 sr20
2871r .64
jim wolf s3 cams
z32 maf
tomei 740cc inj.
apexi hg
arp headstuds
piping pro aluminum inake pipe
apexi filter
megan mani high temp coated
trust dp
apexi n1 evo
test pipe
megan o2 housing
greddy fmic
jim wolf ecu

this was on a mustang dyno which i was told read pretty low, but this seems upsettingly low, and i cannot understand what is going on with my torque curve.
anybody have any input on this

(sorry i for the shitty pic) made 310hp and 281 ft/lb.

sbanzer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #383
codyace
Post Whore!

What PSI?

What base timing?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #384
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

I was going to ask the same question !!
How much boost was that dyno at ??
can I guess and say 12-14LBS ??
Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #385
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

I'd love to see what it dyno's at, so keep us posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyS14DET View Post
Hey guys I been following this thread for a few days now and I just wanted to put in my .02 !!!
Here is my current set-up......

Kouki S14DET
ARP Studs and rod bolts
Nismo Head Gasket
JWT Valve Springs
JWT C1 Cams
JWT ECU
Tomei RAS
Tomei Manifold
Tomei Outlet
Garett GT2871R
Tomei 555 Injectors
Z32 A/F Meter
Greddy Intake Manifold
Greddy Oil Pan
Greddy Pulleys

Im boosting 14-15 lbs all day every day I still have to take it back to be dyno tuned at JWT with this setup. All I can say is it pulls really hard and
has no issues and runs great !! I was torn between the Tomei cams and the JWT cams and I'll say this Im glad that I went with the JWT C1 cams !!
JWT is IMO the way to go !!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #386
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

I just have to do a few more little things then Im taking it down to see what my lil girl will do !!! I def throw up the charts when Im done !!

Here is a pic of my set-up !!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #387
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanzer123 View Post

What the heck is up with your torque curve?

it looks terrible!

Is VTC working properly? It looks like something is awry around 4600 rpms to 5500 rpms which is where VTC should be benefiting your power band (by turning off).

Find out what is up. Your power band would be much more robust and violent/linear and faster if you can delete that trough.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #388
ROIDMONKEY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
ROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
im running a GT3076R , the lag is kinda bugging me . the car made 440whp at 1.5 bar . im willing to sacrifice power for response. im considering getting a gt2871 .

TRUE thing: True ////OFFSET\\\\ is acheived without spacers
Running on E85 570whp Precision 5862....laggy as fuck. hate it
ROIDMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #389
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

Cleeeeeaaaannn! You could eat off that engine - +rep!

But back on topic, 310whp on a mustang, but how much boost were you running? Do you have a graph with the air/fuel ratio on it? Something is definately off, either VTC, a boost leak, or your tune, causing that weird dip in torque.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #390
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
just went and got my car dynoed today
mods are:
s14 sr20
2871r .64
jim wolf s3 cams
z32 maf
tomei 740cc inj.
apexi hg
arp headstuds
piping pro aluminum inake pipe
apexi filter
megan mani high temp coated
trust dp
apexi n1 evo
test pipe
megan o2 housing
greddy fmic
jim wolf ecu

this was on a mustang dyno which i was told read pretty low, but this seems upsettingly low, and i cannot understand what is going on with my torque curve.
anybody have any input on this

this was at 19psi and timing was set at 16* i have no clue what is going on with my torque curve.
sbanzer123 is offline   Reply With Quote