Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
To those employed as sheriffs/police officers.

I've been contemplating leaving Hawaii for quite some time, and now it's getting to the point, where it's serious. I have been living on this rock for 25 years, and It's getting real old. Now, I want to become a police officer. I figure that there a lot of members here, that either are, or know someone in law enforcement.

At my age, it's too late to consider Federal law enforcement, so please don't suggest that. I'm not looking to join a small department, either. Now, here are some of my most important deciding factors; weather is important to me. I'd like to move somewhere with mild, to very mild winters. Cooler weather year round, is a plus. I don't so much mind the rain, occasionally. Next is cost of living. A high paycheck, doesn't mean much, when the cost of living is high.

Although I'm a city person, I wouldn't mind working in a less urban environment, although not extremely remote. My friends here, keep telling me about how awesome Seattle is, and doing a little research, they PD pays very well. It's also a very pet friendly city, which is important to me. I'm do not have any children, nor plan on having any, should that have any bearing, on places you may suggest.

Please list the pros, and cons of the locations, and departments that you suggest.
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
innovation
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
innovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Probably wont have much luck with Law Enforcement officers on this forum.

Try
Officer.com

Realpolice.net
innovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovation View Post
Probably wont have much luck with Law Enforcement officers on this forum.

Try
Officer.com

Realpolice.net

I'll try those. I just figured that although there might not be many actual officers here per say, that there would be friend, or family of officers.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Problem right now finding a job. Most places are either downsizing their police force or has a hiring freeze.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Problem right now finding a job. Most places are either downsizing their police force or has a hiring freeze.
There are actually a lot of departments, currently hiring. Seattle, Austin Texas, San Antonio, LAPD, just to name a few.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Agent S14
Zilvia Member

Agent S14 is making a name for him/her selfAgent S14 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
We need cops in houston pd. My little town in fort bend where I work we dont.
Agent S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
slothonaleash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
slothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Go for Detroit
slothonaleash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Siphter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Siphter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SPD and WSP (Washington State Patrol) are always hiring like mad... the plus with WSP, much like CHP, is you live in a dorm if housing ever becomes an issue so no travel required. You will need a Washington State ID at some point/can apply as an out of state resident where they will fast track you through the tests in about a week or two on the basis that you will be a resident.

Also as a way to make funds/have training in a hostile environment, the towns of Shelton, Tumwater, and Olympia are always hiring prison guards and are testing at least once a week... 13 years ago this consisted of a POST test, interview, and buying your own service weapon, not sure if they polygraph now. You could also apply for the precincts in those towns and go lateral transfer to another state or city after a few years, those towns are "Meth Country" though and a trailer or two have blown up in the woods of Shelton.
Siphter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I was going to say all of the departments in SW Florida are hiring, the pay is high and the cost of living is fairly low compared to the west coast. Cons are the higher paying departments are in the midsized cities. Violent crime is pretty low as well.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgod^s13 View Post
There are actually a lot of departments, currently hiring. Seattle, Austin Texas, San Antonio, LAPD, just to name a few.
These also have residency requirements and selection processes. Can you financially go to a 6 week training course and then be turned down?

You'd also have to live in said cities. Beyond me why someone would want to live and work in a shit hole like LA, especially on a cops pay.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Seattle is a great city. One of my Navy buddies recently got out and joined the police force there. Problem lies with your requirement of "occasional" rain. It rains steadily for about 9 months straight.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #12
repda916
Zilvia Addict

repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
im sure stockton is always hiring
repda916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Are you a LEO now?

Having worked in sworn public service for the best of 20 years, I would suggest serving in your home town or near it. The satisfaction of serving like that goes far beyond any amount of pay you would earn. Furthermore I would stay FAR AWAY from any large metro area, poisons your soul seeing all that craziness...

Good luck in your search..

Ch

Sent using XT912 M
heychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
areas I know of...

Oakland PD starting 69k. they're probably hiring.
cheaper living area in range : Pittsburg, Antioch.

Sunnyvale PD starting 71k. not sure if are hiring. close to Hawaii weather.
cheaper living area in range : Gilroy, Salinas.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Mofuhcka
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Mofuhcka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by repda916 View Post
im sure stockton is always hiring
Lol, glad I got out fast. Stockton is terrible now
Old 09-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #16
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Montgomery County, Maryland. $60k a year.
Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
koukikat180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

koukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to koukikat180sx
Can I trade locations with you? I've been wanting to move to HI forever...

Maybe consider Airport PD? City of Los Angeles Employment Opportunities

I think you'll be stationed at LAX. It's right next to the beach so the weather is pretty nice here even during the summer.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Hiring freeze on officers?

shoot yourself.

That would not happen.

Come to CHICAGO my dude. Shit is CHIRAQ here.

Cops are being hired on a DAILY basis
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatemy7 View Post

shoot yourself.

That would not happen.

LOL, I was just about to say this.

My brother in law is in the Chicago Fire Department and said that CPD is in need of hundreds of new cops maybe more.

For all the latest TF★ news visit our blog!!

tougefactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Oakland is hiring.

Oakland needs everything.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
MikeisNissan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
MikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MikeisNissan
I took the test to be a Sheriff, I was qualified but they want well qualified just didnt take the test again. Perfect record is a plus.

因果関係の流れ
MikeisNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
STL240SXDRIFT
Zilvia Junkie

STL240SXDRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatemy7 View Post

shoot yourself.

That would not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougefactory View Post
LOL, I was just about to say this.

My brother in law is in the Chicago Fire Department and said that CPD is in need of hundreds of new cops maybe more.
I was just about to mention this too, but winters are far from mild. CHI just got named most violent crimes right (most dangerous city). Not that STL hasn't made that list a few times. Midwest has a good mix of all the seasons, but its far from beaches. Check out Saint Louis County police jobs...I hear they are pretty good. Just stay out of north city...well hell south city too.
STL240SXDRIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #23
J3123MY
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
J3123MY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Lol don't be a dirty pig.
J3123MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
pincheturbo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (24)
pincheturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Oakland is hiring.

Oakland needs everything.
i literally LOL'd

LAPD and LA Sheriff will always be hiring. always.

NISMO, NRG, JDM turn signals, misc engine parts
pincheturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #25
rokmplutonium
Zilvia Junkie

rokmplutonium is a jewel in the roughrokmplutonium is a jewel in the roughrokmplutonium is a jewel in the roughrokmplutonium is a jewel in the roughrokmplutonium is a jewel in the roughrokmplutonium is a jewel in the roughrokmplutonium is a jewel in the roughrokmplutonium is a jewel in the rough
Most departments will require a military background or a 4 year degree. I would apply to the Beverly Hills PD
$5,675.00 Monthly, while you're in the academy
AND a 10% signing bonus!

BHPD actually lowered their requirements from a BA/BS to an AA or 60 credits.

Minimum Requirements:

A.A. Degree or completion of at least 45 degree units at the time of testing and the commitment to complete an A.A. Degree or 60 units during the probationary period. The A. A. degree or 60 units requirement must be met before permanent status may be attained. The probationary period will not be extended to provide additional time to meet this qualification.

At the first step of the background investigation and prior to the release of the background investigation packet, you will be required to submit proof that you meet the minimum education requirement in the form of an A.A./B.A./B.S./ diploma, transcript, letter from the registrar or other document approved by the Human Resources Department.
Minimum 20.5 years of age by written examination date.
Must be a United States citizen.
At time of appointment, a valid California Driver's License is required.
rokmplutonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #26
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Thanks to everyone that replied. Looks like Honolulu might be hiring police officers soon. If so, I'll apply again, and hopefully get in, this time around. Then, I'll lateral transfer to another department, when I decide where I want to move.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #27
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
I was going to say all of the departments in SW Florida are hiring, the pay is high and the cost of living is fairly low compared to the west coast. Cons are the higher paying departments are in the midsized cities. Violent crime is pretty low as well.
I know they are hiring in Broward County for sure for Hollywood PD (saw billboard). I believe all over S. FL really for the entry level officer positions. Mild winters are a definite.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #28
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

I was once again not selected, which makes this the third time I've applied for HPD. I've discussed with my mom, who agrees that it's time to leave Hawaii, and try a fresh start on the mainland. Trying to save up, and move around this time next year. I've narrowed it down to 4 states, so let's hear your opinions on those that have lived, or currently live there. In order of preference: Washington, Oregon, Texas, and Nevada. I'm leaning a lot more towards my two top choices, because I'm tired of living in a hot area. Sure it's nice and all, but I'm looking for a cooler climate, where you don't have to have air conditioning, everywhere you go. I'm still looking to get into law enforcement, in whichever state I decide to move to, and will also be looking to buy a home, a couple of years down the line.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #29
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I've been trying to get in for years. You are over the age for most agencies. But there are a couple that will take you
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #30
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
I've been trying to get in for years. You are over the age for most agencies. But there are a couple that will take you
I beg to differ. From what I've seen, I can still apply for many agencies, including Seattle PD. Granted, I won't be able to join many Federal agencies, but I believe I can still get into border patrol. The only caveat, is that I would need to have my bachelors degree. I'm not interested in that type of work anyhow.