Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #331
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockiess15 View Post
Jesus that's a fair bit for pump then . Your head is near factory isn't it?
The setup previously made 491whp on 93 and a Nistune setup on a factory DET bottomend. Other than springs/retainers, the head is bone stock.

Regardless of what it makes, numbers are just a figure dyno's pump out. Each one will read differently. If it doesn't reach 500 on a mustang dyno but does on a dyno jet so be it. It'll still be a fun car to run around in.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #332
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dyno's are just a tuning tool. It's the number at the end of the track that tells the real story.
Every time my car hits the dyno it goes right to the track that sane week, a lot if time that day to see real works numbers to go with the dyno number.
As most know I'm sure, the peak number isn't what really matters. It's the average number over a 3k rpm range that matters.
This car is going to have a great power band.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #333
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Dyno's are just a tuning tool. It's the number at the end of the track that tells the real story.
Every time my car hits the dyno it goes right to the track that sane week, a lot if time that day to see real works numbers to go with the dyno number.
As most know I'm sure, the peak number isn't what really matters. It's the average number over a 3k rpm range that matters.
^^This^^

Tom, would be interested to hear any updated numbers from the strip.

Glenn- When's she getting tuned???
Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #334
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
^^This^^

Car is down right now. Head lifted a week before Christmas and blew the head gasket at a water jacket which then damaged the block some. It was mostly my fault. Got lined up to race a good friend of mine in a local KOTS race. He has a wicked fast Evo 1 that dead hooks. I turned the boost up a little in hopes of being able to run him down. Didn't work out that way.

New block with some eagle rods and CP pistons are going to Martin next week.
Nothing fancy just a .020 over stock compression motor with arp's and .8 apexi head gasket.

11.90 @ 120 is its best so far. Will be turning the boost up when back together now that it won't be on stock head gasket and head bolts anymore.

Ouch
Old 01-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #335
Lockiess15
Zilvia Member

Lockiess15 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's still solid numbers for a factory head on 93 though . Your turbo isn't too much larger then a GTX30 is it?
Lockiess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #336
koukis13
Leaky Injector

koukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the rough
this is by far one of the nicest builds i seen so far. The craftsmanship in the body work is very good, no short cuts, i know cause i used to work in a bodyshop. lots of pictures for people to see what you do. one day I hope to have a build like yours with lots of work put into it. keep it up!
koukis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #337
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I agree entirely. I'm not so much worried what the dyno reads. I'm more insterested in seeing trap speeds.

Quote:
^^This^^

Mike, I just purchased a house and unfortunately I have some expensive purchases ahead of me. I'll get the car to the house when I can and start cracking into it again when I'm settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockiess15 View Post
That's still solid numbers for a factory head on 93 though . Your turbo isn't too much larger then a GTX30 is it?
Those numbers were made on the GT3076R with a .64 back side.

My new turbo is a GTX3076R with the larger .82 back side.

I may be shy of my mark of 500 on pump, but I'll hopefully have a larger mid and topend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukis13 View Post
this is by far one of the nicest builds i seen so far. The craftsmanship in the body work is very good, no short cuts, i know cause i used to work in a bodyshop. lots of pictures for people to see what you do. one day I hope to have a build like yours with lots of work put into it. keep it up!
Thank you sir! Appreciate the compliments. Just take your time when you dig into it. All too often people rush things and they end up less appealing because of it.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #338
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
My GTX3076R with a single scroll .64 AR turbine housing did 460rwhp on pump gas with a couple more degrees of timing and a point of AF left on the table. My knock sensor was not showing anything unusual and the tuner said we should be able to get to 500 on pump but beyond thar it would start to grt sketchy. Since it was already 7:30 at night we called it done. Now that it has a couple thousand miles I would go back and dial it up, except the tuner is 200 miles away.

My setup is a heavily ported DET head with HKS solid lifter valvetrain. A VVL head and an 82 AR housing should definitely do 500.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #339
Lockiess15
Zilvia Member

Lockiess15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh hell lol. I'm anxious to see what your SR20VET will do then as well as my own
Lockiess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #340
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Glenn, I am jealous to no end. I have A1 credit, but a large credit to debt ratio- meaning buying a house is not in the cards... I'd love to be keeping the car on the back burner in the name of owning real property.

Congrats dude!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #341
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Glenn, I am jealous to no end. I have A1 credit, but a large credit to debt ratio- meaning buying a house is not in the cards... I'd love to be keeping the car on the back burner in the name of owning real property.

Congrats dude!
Thanks man, that means a lot. At times it was very frustrating and I was at the point of giving up. However, it was time for me to grow up some, get a place that my girl friend, future fiancé and eventually wife and I could call our own. I'm very happy with the home, property and neighborhood so far. It's extremely quiet and off the beaten path.

I'll shoot you some pictures via text.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #342
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Thanks man, that means a lot. At times it was very frustrating and I was at the point of giving up. However, it was time for me to grow up some, get a place that my girl friend, future fiancé and eventually wife and I could call our own. I'm very happy with the home, property and neighborhood so far. It's extremely quiet and off the beaten path.

I'll shoot you some pictures via text.

Major congrats. It's a really nice house.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #343
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Thanks Tom! Welcome to stop bye whenever, as long as I'm home.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #344
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I haven't messed with it too much. I purchased a home and have been doing minor renovations to it. We should be moving in within the end of the week and hopefully I'll have the time to dig into it shortly thereafter.
Congrats on the new home! It's an amazing feeling once you've settled in to stay...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #345
juvi22003
Zilvia Member

juvi22003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Winning !!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #346
jr_ss
Post Whore!

So today I made some head way. I know it's been awhile since this thread had see. An update, but life, the house and other things have unexpectedly pushed the car to the back burner.

As some of you know, I was having an issue with my ATS/IAT reading about 30-40 degrees off from ambient temps. I finally got around to testing the sensor itself and eventually contacting Haltech to see what the issue could be. The sensor checked out fine, so I immediately thought it was the scaling. Turns out that the scaling for the IAT sensor I have isn't listed on the drop down menu nor on their site. They had to email me the correct calibrstion for the sensor.

Once plugged in, the car fired right up and idled great. I have my vac readings back, although a little lower than anticipated. The car will rev now, as before any throttle input and it wanted to die. It's running extremely rich(9.5-10AFR) but it runs and will move under it's own power.

So, I'm finally making steps in the right direction with getting this thing on the road. Soon, hopefully very soon, I'll be able to take the car around for a ride. Thanks for looking.

http://s627.photobucket.com/user/jr_...e2a62.mp4.html
Old 03-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #347
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
that. sounds. excellent.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #348
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Well, I pulled her out of the garage tonight and installed my passenger side skirt, changed my spark plugs back to heat range 7. I had swapped them out to see if it would change anything at idle when I was diagnosing my issues. While it was out I snapped a few pictures of it in natural light. Artificial just doesn't do it justice.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #349
NismoRich
Leaky Injector

NismoRich is an unknown quantity at this point
nice car. nice work. nice to FINALLY see a build that doesn't have an ugly body kit, neon wheels, extreme camber, giant spoilers and all the other typical ricer "drift car" fad stuff. keep it up
NismoRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #350
juvi22003
Zilvia Member

juvi22003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Super clean !!!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #351
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
beautiful.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #352
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
wolfpack is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Old 05-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #353
SR360

SR360 is an unknown quantity at this point
Total inspiration! I almost went ahead and started preparation on building my det head to be a high reving 4 pot screamer but i am now sold on the vet!
Trying to find a 20v ve head in the UK is proving to be quite a task but I am determined and have time to complete a dream engine
SR360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #354
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Just get the P11 VE head. More after market support for that head like valve spring and retainers SR360.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #355
SR360

So just a 16v head from a standard Nissan Primera is fine?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #356
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
they are all 16 valve, the 20v is just called a 20v.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #357
SR360

Yer I realised that, was just going on the 'forum' info found on the net that the '20v' head (Neovvl) is the one to go for for better results??
If a standard head from any Nissan Primera will do then I'm well happy cos there are loads around me but haven't seen any NeoVVL rocker covered heads
Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #358
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR360 View Post
If a standard head from any Nissan Primera will do then I'm well happy cos there are loads around me but haven't seen any NeoVVL rocker covered heads
Nissan sold vehicles with the SR16VE and SR20VE only in Japan. The standard Primera came with a regular SR20DE.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #359
SR360

I was just thinking that....poo!
Better do some more searching then...

Thanks for the info chaps
Old 05-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #360
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I agree with everyone else, while a 20V head would be great, the expense vs rewards isn't worth it. You'll make plenty of power on a P11 head.

I'll update this while it's bumped.

I haven't worked on the car in the past few months much. I've been organizing and trying to get the garage at the house where I want it. I still have some things left to purchase for it(the garage) but that requires money, money just so happens to end up in other aspects of my life right now and not my pocket or the savings account.

I had to add some lighting in the garage as well. The old dude that owned the home before me only had a keyless light fixture to illuminate the entire garage, that wasn't going to work for me. I like a bright work area, as most do. The fixtures I used are from Atlas lighting and feature 4 T5-HO bulbs, needless to say, the three fixtures light up the garage nicely.

Floor space is a necessity and with all the crap I have, this was a great option to get my tires off the floor and into a space that is both out of the way and easily accessible.

The entire garage was painted, except the ceiling, which honestly wasn't a huge deal to me. I used different shades of grey/gray and think it turned out nicely, although I'm biased.

With the garage 90% squared away, I decided it was a good time to bring my car down. I borrowed my buddy's trailer one day last week to make the move.

So, when I went to grab the trailer, no more than 5mins after I grabbed it, I got a friendly visitor.

My friend had cut off the fenders, with that went the license plate mount. He has a rather large jeep he pulls to RYC and other jeep oriented events, so the fenders were in the way. Easiest way was to chop them off, atleast the Statey was cool about it.

Loading up at my mother and father's place. I have never driven a twin disk clutch before. It will take some getting use to because I stalled probably 6-10 times getting it up the trailer, while still being careful not to launch a ramp or my car off of it.

Unloading at my house...

Finally in the drive way and garage...

Now that the car is down at MY house, I can continue with removing the harness and sending it back to ChaseBays for I hope what will be the very last time. Once these issues are worked out I will schedule an appointment with a Local tuner that has been tuning Nissans for years. This is far from over...