Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #301
demonspeed
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
demonspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I know this is a dumbass question but im gonna ask it anyway: can ANY wheel be widened? Like if its a cheap ass rim, will/would it work without shattering? Im not too big on wheel terminology so excuse me if i said something dumb haha
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #302
Dunkz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Dunkz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quite a lot of people struggling with the math on the past few pages. We made a calculator on our site specifically from playing around with widening wheels in mind. Have a look and see what you think:
Split Rim Offset Calculator | Garage LSD

Also im currently in the process of building and even bigger set of panasports at the moment, just need to decide on the colour.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #303
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkz View Post
Quite a lot of people struggling with the math on the past few pages. We made a calculator on our site specifically from playing around with widening wheels in mind. Have a look and see what you think:
Split Rim Offset Calculator | Garage LSD

Also im currently in the process of building and even bigger set of panasports at the moment, just need to decide on the colour.
There were all of two people...
And the calculator wasn't any different than the answers I got. With the exception of the one the was corrected by another member. :s
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #304
Dunkz
Leaky Injector

Dunkz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
There were all of two people...
And the calculator wasn't any different than the answers I got. With the exception of the one the was corrected by another member. :s
Sorry, I'll re-phrase. We've made a calculator to help people out as much as possible when it comes to widening wheels. If there's any other features people think might be usefull to them then let us know and we will try to include them if its feasible.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #305
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkz View Post
Sorry, I'll re-phrase. We've made a calculator to help people out as much as possible when it comes to widening wheels. If there's any other features people think might be usefull to them then let us know and we will try to include them if its feasible.
the calculator is nice but your missing one factor since some faces are sandwiched between the lips. the faces make the wheel .5 inches wider. I know i can just add the width of the face to the barrel to get the correct siz, but just letting you know.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #306
nativG20
Zilvia Member

nativG20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dunkz, i tried the calculator and im not getting any results

BTW i love Panasports G7s!

WTF IS JUICE?? I WANT THAT PURPLE DRANK!!!
nativG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #307
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
ok so im about to re-lip my rims

are these the correct steps

Disassemble :
1- take off tire
2- take off nuts and bolts
3- cut away sealant from seam
4- heat up and separate
5- clean

assembly:
1- put together all three pieces
2- reseal bead
2- make sure all surface is clean and good fit
3- bolt down face in criss-cross pattern torque to proper specs (20-24ft/lbs iirc)

is that it or am i forgetting something??

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #308
xdumbxguyx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
xdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
to be safe i'd add some loctite
Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #309
blueshark123
Post Whore!

blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
yup add loctite to all bolts follow this guide i posted

http://bbsrsdiy.blogspot.com/
Old 03-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #310
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
yup add loctite to all bolts follow this guide i posted

http://bbsrsdiy.blogspot.com/
thanks that clears up alot ill post my results soon.

how long did it take to do all 4 wheels??

also whats a good solvent to use to clean the inner barrels mines has built up brake dust..

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #311
shaggy sr
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
shaggy sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
where can i get a set of custom outer lips for XXR wheels?
shaggy sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #312
nativG20
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy sr View Post
I dont Believe XXR makes multipiece wheels, they are all cast if i am not mistaken

Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #313
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Quote:

lol

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #314
landins13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ok so i want to widen my wheels and here is the dilema

Wheels are Blitz type 03. currently the fronts are 17x9 and rears are 17x10. Everyone swears up and down that these wheels cannot be widened yet all four wheels are stamped 17x9+22 and the rears are 100% 10" wide and have slightly larger lips 4.5" vs 4" in front.

I would like to run the 17x10 up front and widen the 17x9 im not looking to make it have a huge lip i literally just want it wider. Does anyone have any info on who/how it can be done? And please do not tell me they cannot be widened since i have a set that already has been. Also the previous owner purchased them in this size, so he doesnt know either.

Pics:

Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #315
nativG20
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landins13 View Post

Wheels are Blitz type 03. currently the fronts are 17x9 and rears are 17x10. Everyone swears up and down that these wheels cannot be widened yet all four wheels are stamped 17x9+22 and the rears are 100% 10" wide and have slightly larger lips 4.5" vs 4" in front.

I would like to run the 17x10 up front and widen the 17x9 im not looking to make it have a huge lip i literally just want it wider. Does anyone have any info on who/how it can be done? And please do not tell me they cannot be widened since i have a set that already has been. Also the previous owner purchased them in this size, so he doesnt know either.
inner Bead to inner Bead measures 9 inches, if you are measuring from the edge of each lip to lip it will be approx. 10 inches.

Here are my Fronts, Work 18x8s

Bead to Bead = 8 inches wide

Overall width is aprox 9 inches

Old 03-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #316
landins13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i measured them correctly. fronts are 17x9 rears are 17x10. disks are all stamped 17x9+22
Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #317
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Step 1: Get a big fucking lathe

Step 2: Chuck up the wheel in the lathe

Step 3: Cut wheel

Step4: make new section

Step 5: Tack to wheel

Step 6: Check runout

Step 7: Tack remaining lip piece to extension

Step 8: Check runout

Step 9: Weld

I don't really understand what you're asking.

There's really only 4 ways to widen a wheel
1. Re-barrel
2. Re-lip
3. Cut and weld
4. Machine your own piece from billet

5. Call CCW......

A lathe can only work on a rim that's as big as the lathe's swing. IE Distance from bed to center of the spindle.
(American lathe don't measure it that way. They just refer to it as the biggest piece you can machine. English lathe go by the spindle center)

An 18'' rim will require a lathe with an 18'' swing (American) or a 9'' swing (English)...

So you won't be using a lather that fits in the average Joe's garage... For example, but not limited to< my lathes at me last job, could swing a 24'' (American) piece of material... And the lathes were 20' long..
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #318
nativG20
Zilvia Member

Just to be thorough

here ar my Rears which are stamped 18x9

Bead to Bead = 9 inches wide

Overall Width = approx 10 inches wide

Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #319
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

I thought they were going to be bigger o well hopefully they look good once its done

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #320
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
ok so im about to re-lip my rims

are these the correct steps

Disassemble :
1- take off tire
2- take off nuts and bolts if you have a 3/8 drive electric impact it will make your life so much easier - just use it on the back bolts
3- cut away sealant from seam big flat head + spin wheel
4- heat up and separate may require using hot mitts and someone using a long 2X4 like a battering ram to separate, lol
5- clean

assembly:

1- make sure all surface is clean and good fit
2- put together all three pieces - I usually tighten down 8 bolts hand tight spaced out evenly around the wheel so all three pieces are nice and snug as you cross torque/locktite them all
3- bolt down face in criss-cross pattern torque to proper specs (20-24ft/lbs iirc) - I never bothered with a torque wrench, I broke 2 bolts using a friends (that may have been broken) and have done the rest with the 'quarter turn' rule and its all been fine...and yes use blue locktite
4- reseal bead

is that it or am i forgetting something??

Changed the assembly order and added some notes, lol.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #321
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
daniel just did his blitz 03s, super wide spec. info is icedsole on this forum

did 03s come in different disks? I remember reading that all of them had ~the same amount of lip between offsets it was just the backing of the rim being different
Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #322
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
Changed the assembly order and added some notes, lol.
thanks Knoop that helps alot,

when you heat it up to seprate do you have to put it in a oven?? or can i just use a head gun??

thanks

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 03-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #323
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
I've always used an oven...even with an oven I've had to either stomp them apart or use a 2X4 battering ram (which is hilarious). You can also put the wheel face down and stand inside of it and pull up with welding gloves on the rear barrel...but it is way easier to bash them apart with wood.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #324
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

^thanks seems like i have alot of fun times ahead of me -__- lol

im going for the 2x4 techinque, i take it i pound away at the lip side ??

edit::

whats good to clean the rims after they are apart, wire brush that goes in the drill/3m scotch bright??

thanks

s14 kouki ka-t
Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #325
blueshark123
Post Whore!

I use a rubber mallet to take it apart.

To clean off old residue you can use the 3m scuff pads

lol just saw your edit dont use wire brush it is to abrasive.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #326
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
^thanks seems like i have alot of fun times ahead of me -__- lol

im going for the 2x4 techinque, i take it i pound away at the lip side ??

edit::

whats good to clean the rims after they are apart, wire brush that goes in the drill/3m scotch bright??

thanks
3M Bristle disks are perfect for cleaning the sealant off the wheels. You need something higher speed then a drill though.

As far as the 2X4 goes...I was using a powder coating oven at my friend's shop because I could fit all the wheels in at once and he had a 8 foot 2X4 so he used it like a battering ram and it worked in one hit, haha. We were trying a rubber mallet and I just couldn't get them apart.

If you don't have 2 other people who can help you (one to heave-ho the 2X4, and another to help you hold the wheel still) then you can lean the wheel against a wooden step (like on a porch or something) after removing the front lip (usually comes off super easy) and stomp the back of it while pulling up on the rear barrel until the face separates.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #327
benarovi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
benarovi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
lmao!! funny as hell
benarovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #328
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
I needed a new sig. Thanks broham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That's because everyone with a zenki feels sorry for themselves and they find commonality in the fact that there's no hope for making them look remotely good.
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #329
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by landins13 View Post

Talk to Yuta at WheelFlip.com. I've been talking with him lately since I am considering having them do a set of 03s for me as well, and he is a SUPER helpful guy. They can do some pretty amazing stuff with wheels, including Blitz 03s. They did Icedsole's rear 03s, and Yuta is currently finishing up a set of custom 03s as well- so they can for sure re-lip and/ or re-barrell them if you are up for spending the cash.

One other thing to note- Yuta told me that a lot of 03s are welded together, instead of with sealant. They can still widen them, they just have to cut them apart before they begin, which adds a bit to the cost of having them rebuilt.

Did you buy those from a member here/dude in Cali that had them on eBay? I was considering them, but wanted 17/18 and the seller gave me crap for asking for pics. That was enough for me to not respond, lol.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #330
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Any one know what size socket to use on the bolt side of VS-MX wheels, ive read it was 8mm 12 point but the 8 mm for some reason doesnt fit on the bolt head.

they look bigger in person

s14 kouki ka-t