Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Marketplace > Advertiser Specials and Sales > Advertiser Announcements and Feedback

Advertiser Announcements and Feedback This is where vendors can make announcements about upcoming promotions, events, items, etc. Vendors may also create threads here for the purpose of market research or other customer feedback.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Chad@CTI

Trader Rating: (0)
Chad@CTI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ready to pass tech? SFI, FIA, everything you need in one article!

We’ve decided to put together a list of items and products you will need as a driver throughout your year drifting. These specifications are REQUIRED when running at a Pro-Am level, but even if you’re still in Amateur, picking up a few of these products wouldn’t be a bad start to getting your car ready for that Pro-Am level, which is a big step as far as commitment, time, and money go.

Buying all of your safety equipment at one time could be a huge hassle, especially if you can’t find the list and specifications of certain items, and even if you couldn’t buy them all at one place. I want to make sure that you guys show up at your first event prepared to pass tech and get on the track, and JUST worry about driving, nothing else, while spending the least amount of money possible. I know how it feels to be super stressed out because you aren’t ready, or missed some dumb small item. REMEMBER: It is up to you to show up prepared. The event holders and tech inspectors are not required to pass your car through tech because it’s your first Pro-Am event and you didn’t show up prepared. Commit to the sport, follow the rules, and have fun!

KEEP IN MIND: THESE PRODUCTS ARE EXAMPLES OF WHAT YOU COULD USE. I AM ABLE TO GET YOU ANY VARIATION OF ITEMS, BRANDS, WHATEVER YOU MAY NEED. THESE ARE JUST PRODUCTS WE RECOMMEND BECAUSE OF THE LOW PRICE, GOOD RATINGS, AND OUR OVERALL EXPERIENCE WITH THEM.

We’ll start off with you the driver.

YOUR HEAD:

Certainly a very important part of your body. Regulation states :
-Snell Memorial Foundation – SA2000, SA2005, SA 2010
-SFI Foundation – Spec 31.2, Spec 31.2A
-British Helmet Standard – BS 6658:1958

Bell Sport SA2010- $279.94

Simpson Classic Voyager SA2010- $299.94

Simpson K10 SA2010- $299.94

Now, if you have longer hair, remember to keep it up and in the helmet.

YOUR BEARD

And if you can grow a beard, you’ll need a Balaclava or something fire resistant to keep all that manliness safe.

G-Force single layer- $24.99

OMP sport balaclava- $28.98

YOUR BODY

Regulation states that you need a 1 piece suit, made of fire-resistant material and be SFI spec 3.2A-5 or greater or FIA “2000” homologated.

K1 Racing DOUBLE LAYER Vintage SFI 3.2A-5- $399.00

OMP 0S20 SFI 3.2A-5- $399.00

Sparco Jade Racing suit TRIPLE LAYER SFI 3.2A-5- $269.99

Keep in mind, if you get a suit that is not SFI 3.2A-5 that you WILL NEED to wear long fireproof underwear.

Crow Long Underwear- $42.00

G-Force Long Underwear- $54.95

YOUR FEET

You need to wear fire proof socks:

Crow Nomex Socks- $19.95

YOUR FEET STILL

Shoes: Mostly a style/comfort thing since most are fireproof(racing). Just keep in mind you have to have fireproof shoes. Puma Speed Cats will not cut it.

K1 Carbonite Nomex Shoes: $95.00

Crow High Top Fire Resistant Shoes: $68.95

Simpson Fusion shoes: $139.95

YOUR HANDS

Keep in mind the gloves need to be fire resistant. Personally, I wouldn’t cheap out here. We get a lot of input from our hands right down to slightest vibration in the steering wheel. You need something that will grip the wheel and be comfortable.

K1 Grip Racing gloves: $69.00

OMP Speed2 Driving Glove: $89.00

Alpinestars Tech 1-S: $139.95

SOME THINGS TO REMEMBER:

-Gloves, shoes, socks, underwear, suits, If they have any tears, rips, or holes in them that were not designed to be there YOU WILL NOT PASS TECH. Make sure that any equipment you have that is date specific is checked before going to the track.

-You will be in your driving suit, underwear, shoes, and helmet for a long time. Make sure that you get something that you will find comfortable and easy to wear. When you are in the car on the track you need to be focused on the car and your driving, not on how unbreathable your gloves are or even the wadded up toe on your sock.

YOUR SEAT:

Regulation states FIA standard 8855-1999 or SFI 39.2.

OMP TRS: $349.00

OMP Champ: $549.00

Sparco EVO II: $779.00

YOUR HARNESS

SFI Certification - Harness systems may be certified to SFI spec 16.1, and shall bear the appropriate label(s). This certification shall expire on December 31st of the 2nd year, after the year of manufacture. The harness system may be sent to the manufacturer for re-webbing and recertification.

FIA Certification -Harness systems may be homologated by the FIA to specification 8853/98, and shall bear the appropriate label(s). It is recommended that the harness system be replaced every three (3) years, but the mandatory replacement date is the 5th year after production. The expiration date, instead of the date of manufacture, is printed on the FIA label(s).

Here are some great options:

RACEQUIP 5 Way Harness Seat Belt-SFI 16.1 Rated: $69.99

G-Force Pro Series Cam Lock SFI 16.1 and FIA homologated: $149.99

YOUR FIRE

That’s right, fire extinguishers. Obviously this is for safety reasons. I can tell you right off the bat I would not use Halon. A lot of people still do, but it’s just plain expensive, and it’s certainly not good for you if you have to use it. I would recommend a cheaper AFFF type. It’s extremely affordable, you can recharge yourself, it’s not going to kill you or hurt the environment.

Regulation States:

-Halon 1211, Halon 1301
-Underwriters Laboratory 10BC ratedSiliconized Sodium Bicarbonate or Potassium Bicarbonate (Purple K)
-Underwriters Laboratory 1A10BC Ammonium Phosphate/Barium Sulfate, or Monnex.
-AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) or equivalent surfactant foam material have a 2.25 liter minimum capacity (by volume).

FireCharger 2.3l Refillable Extinguisher Kit: $289.95

H3R 2.5lb dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher: $79.97

If you're going to get a smaller handheld fire suppression system, you need to have a quick release mounting bracket and it needs to be within reach of the driver.

Now something I see people forget every year are tow straps/hooks. Here are some simple guidelines when considering what tow hook/strap to buy:

-You will need two Straps/hooks. One for the front and one for the rear.
-They will need to have an opening at least 2” in diameter.
-The tow strap/hook must be a single purpose device. You cannot tow from a wing, body panel, etc.
-Make sure that when you mount it is secure enough to be able to withstand being pulled out of gravel, mud, etc.
-You must make sure that the device is easily accessible without having to remove bumpers, etc.
-It may not stick out more than 1 inch past the front/rear.
-Do not mount a solid tow hook over 12” high if it will be on the front/rear of the car. This can cause damage to other vehicles. Hinged tow hooks are recommended.
-Color of the tow strap/hook needs to contrast the body color.
-There needs to be an arrow pointing to either tow strap/hook on the vehicle. It needs to be easily seen.

OMP Flat Tow Hook :$45.00

Cusco Universal Tow hook: $96.30

YOUR CAGE

It is very important to have some sort of roll cage padding. It is required to have something with an SFI rating of 45.1 that is at least a ½” thick.

CTI Roll Bar Padding SFI 45.1: $16.95/3ft.

YOUR WINDOW

Now, I know over here on the East Coast it can get pretty toasty mid season, and a lot of guys want to run with their windows down. Having a smoke filled car isn’t fun when you’re still trying to get around the track either.
Now I’ve heard a lot of people tell me that you HAVE to have a window net if you want your window down while driving. But I’ve only seen a very small amount of people do that.

What we have always done with no problems is wear an arm restraint. That way the driver stays comfortable and were abiding by the rules.

Crow Arm Restraint System: $27.95

Teamtech Arm Restraints: $39.00

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Master cut off switch. Remember to mount this on the right side cowl, with the proper “OFF” sticker.

OMP 2 Pole Electrical Kill Switch: $29.00

BATTERY:

A sealed Battery box is required if the battery is in the drivers cabin. It must also be securely mounting to the Chassis.

CTI Plastic Battery Box: $9.99

CTI Aluminum Battery Box: $99.95

EXHAUST SYSTEM

DO NOT forget that you have to have a minimum of ONE (1) muffler on your exhaust. There are no excuses. Noise level must not exceed 92db @ 75ft.

***Call for pricing on specific Mufflers, I carry anything from Magnaflow to Vibrant***

FUEL SYSTEM.

Remember that if you install a fuel cell, you will need a rear firewall.

Remember: It is up to YOU to be prepared. No one likes a whiner. If you’re competing at a Pro-Am level you need to act and apply yourself in a professional manner, whether it be following tech rules or just being where you’re supposed to be on time. Go out, drive and have fun. Be prepared and stress free.

Here are some things we thought you might want/need depending on your budget. I can tell you from personal experience having these things can be a life saver and you will find yourself using them constantly.

CREW CHIEF/SPOTTER/DRIVER:

Radio systems. A good set of radios is not a cheap investment. They cost a good bit of money. But having the ability to communicate with your driver while you are in the spotters tower is a big help. The driver can give feedback immediately coming off course. The driver can receive information from multiple sources at the click of a button to get feedback on things he did not notice/see. I do not care how good of a driver you are, if you have a good spotter, it makes a world of difference. They give you suggestions, and get you hyped.

NASCAR Short Track Racing Radios HYT Package: $799.00

I would recommend this kit because the price isn’t too high for everything that is including and the Quality of the Kit. They utilize HYT radios and come with everything you need and more for a Crew Chief/Spotter and Driver.

PIT CREW EQUIPMENT.

Whether you hire your own crew(Ballin’) or your friends are helping you out, you need them to be prepared for almost anything; failed tire, wall hit, run away bumper, engine failure, fuse failure, fire, wreck, one more time, etc. You need tools and equipment to make this day run smooth. Remember that this is an expensive sport, but not all of these tools are required.

SOMETHING TO CARRY WITH

A great thing to have with you is a lightweight backpack. You can run around and do whatever you need to do while having everything you need right there. When your driver is staged you do not have time to run back and forth to the toolbox in the truck.

SHOCK DOCTOR Lightweight Backpack: $44.99

Some other items that are extremely helpful:

Longacre Tire Marking Stick: $3.95

When setting up the car and testing before the season it is important to know how much tire you’re using. By marking the tire you can make sure you aren’t getting too much rollover, etc.

Valve Core Stem Tool: $17.95

Believe me, you do not want to be stuck on track and have a valve core come loose. When you are constantly filling/draining without changing the stem something is bound to happen sometime if you don’t keep an eye on it. This little thing is sweet, you can keep all your cores in it and it’s a little bigger than usual so that you don’t loose track of it.

Track Mat: $23.99

Not something that is a necessity, but it’s convenient, especially on a hot day or in the grass/dirt(PBIR). It folds up so it’s pretty compact.

2” Face Economy Gauge: $23.99

2.5” Deluxe Tire gauge 0-60psi:$44.95

3.5” Deluxe Tire gauge with case: $74.95

JOES Digital Tire Pressure Gauge with Digital Tread Depth Gauge-Combo: $67.95

Always a good idea to have a very accurate TP gauge. You’ll need to make all kinds of adjustments on the track all the time.

TREAD DEPTH GAUGE

JOES Digital Tread Depth Gauge: $19.95

Microtemp Pro Pyrometer: $49.99

Having a Pyrometer around is a great idea. Keeping track of tire temp to make sure that you are always getting the maximum grip out of your tires is very important if you want to stay competitive. It wouldn’t hurt to check engine temp sometimes as well.

ALIGNMENT

Longacre Digital Quickset: $261.99

Longacre Toe Plates with Tape Measurer: $58.99

SPC Pro Series FasTrax Adjustable Caster Camber Gauge Kits For 13"-18" wheels: $169.95

It’s always good to keep a notebook on hand. At least a little notepad. You’ll constantly be making changes to the car at different tracks, and you’ll need to keep tabs on everything. Making different checklists for different tasks is something I do to prepare our team for all sorts of things. We have one checklist for the car before we put it on the trailer to leave, another for all of the things that we need before we leave, and another for the car before we go out on track. The more organized you are the more efficient you can be. Lay your tools out neatly and in a convenient spot for easy access or fast tire changes, correlate with your teammates and make sure everyone has a dedicated job. Have a plan if the car crashes on course. Always have a good jack and a set of jackstands nearby. It’s a good idea to invest in an arm sock if you think that you might have to put your arm down in hot areas during the course of the day. Electric Impacts are a lifesaver!

I hope this thread is helpful, and I’m sure there is plenty I’m missing, this is just something I threw together very quickly for you guys.

If you need anything please contact me, Chad, at our shop.

The toll free number is: 1-800-468-2279

or you can call us at 704-871-0817.

Again, the CTI website is not up yet, so if you need any price quotes or need to order anything, please call me, I’d love to talk and get you what you need.

Last edited by Chad@CTI; 02-13-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Chad@CTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Chad's a great guy and will go out of his way to help you or get you what you need even if he doesn't have it!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
DV19

DV19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice post Chad. Well done...
I'd also add a simple "Check-list"... Sit down and think about everything you use to work on your car at home, everything you need to sit in your race car and write it down over the next few times you're in your shop. Once you've got it pretty-well filled out, make a few copies of it and simply check things off as your load-up for your next day at the track. Doing this will make it less-likely you'll forget something your really need, like your driver-gear bag....
Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Chad@CTI

Thanks Doug! That's definitely some solid advice. Checklists are something only as valuable as the attention you pay them! They are absolutely necessary in motorsports!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Prove It
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Prove It is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
awesome post!
Prove It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
jacobzking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jacobzking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
fantastic. thanks!
jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
tuktuk23
Leaky Injector

tuktuk23 is an unknown quantity at this point
you sir.....

ARE THE MAN!!!!!
tuktuk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
touge_g35

touge_g35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet thread, just makes me realize how much more I have to spend though to get to the pro level But at least this thread makes it easier on what to get
touge_g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
stockdrift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
stockdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if your a lot on the larger size of chubby what seats will you recommend
stockdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Chad@CTI

PM me you're size and I will certainly find a seat that will fit your needs.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Figured it would be a whole lot easier for everyone if all of the information you need was readily available and all in one place.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
slambarsoldier

slambarsoldier is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to slambarsoldier
This is awesome. Chad is the best crew guy I've had, and I'm super happy he'll be working with me in formula D this year.Even though it might not seem necessary to have radios and all that crap, it is actually super super helpful to have.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
This post was single-handedly the most informative post I have read on this website in a long time. Not that this site doesn't have a lot of useful info. This is just the best in recent memory.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Chad@CTI

Thanks Pat! I am really stoked to be out there with you as you make your debut as a Formula D rookie!

And thanks! If you guys don't mind, pass the thread around, only because there are plenty of people out there who have NO IDEA what to do or how to do it.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdrift View Post
if your a lot on the larger size of chubby what seats will you recommend
Id like to know this too. Im 6'1" 230lbs. 38" waist. the seat im using is an NRG seat which isnt FIA approved.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
Chad@CTI

Okay, Staying at the bare minimum, the OMP TRS is a good choice. The width of the seat where your waste will be is 16.14" across. That would be a pretty good fit. I'm 5'10" 210lbs with a 34 inch waist and have room to grow if I so choose.

After that, you're looking into plus size seats, which would be a minimum of a waist area of around 16.7" and up.

As a comparison, if you've ever sat in a Sparco EVO Plus, the waist area size for that is only 15" So honestly the TRS would be a comfortable seat for your size.

For something larger than that, just let me know!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
excellent thread, not just for drifting, a lot of this stuff applies to all motorsports, autox whatever. good job OP.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle View Post
This post was single-handedly the most informative post I have read on this website in a long time.
+1

thank you OP for taking the time to explain this all to us.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #18
Chad@CTI

Thanks guys for taking the time to read it!

We're planning on doing Drift car alignment/setups in shop as well. So if you're local, stop by or call us to set up an appointment. I know that we're new in the market, but I want to show you guys that we're serious, knowledgeable, and here to stay.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
BJManies
Zilvia Member

BJManies is an unknown quantity at this point
Bump this.

Anyone looking to get started this season, be it your first season in Am, or running Pro Am, this is a GREAT checklist to have. Not that ALL of it is needed when running Am of course, but it still gives you alot to look at.

Great guy to buy from, I know I will be dealing Chad when I start to get ready for the track here soon!
QFT
BJManies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
crunkride
Zilvia Member

crunkride is an unknown quantity at this point
Price for two OMP ARS shipped to 14305, and also two OMP WRC shipped to 14305?
crunkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
Chad@CTI

I've got a good bit of calls and orders on this stuff, You guys can go to CIRCLETRACKSUPPLY.COM for some of what you need. If you can't find what you're looking for, call me! I can get it, I promise.

Already sold 4 of the OMP seats, and have gotten very good feedback. Have also had a bunch of people order some stuff for their crew this year. You guys are awesome! Thank you!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
Chad@CTI

I know the first Pro Am event for the East Coast is coming up in May, what about everyone else? What series are you guys running?