Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-03-2004, 08:05 AM   #1
95Blue240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Controlling brake bias with adj proportioning valve?

i was thinking of getting an adjustable proportioning valve to try and reduce the front end diving when hard braking. putting in a adj proportioning valve would do just that, but im wondering if it is worth it and your guys' opinions. for the brakes i only have the z32s up front. i notice when the rear breaks get warm the car breaks awsome, but i still get some hard braking in front. would putting in the adj valve be a waste? would it just be a waste of putting on the z32s in the first place, since im reducing pressure up front? kinda of hard to say what i mean, but ill post more when i know what to say, thanks.

BJ

Please leave me feedback
95Blue240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2004, 10:01 AM   #2
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
A bias valve for the front would be somewhat difficult to install unless you had ABS. ABS has a single brake line coming from the master cylinder, non ABS has a brake line for each side of the front.

You can try balancing the brakes out more by putting a more agressive pad in the rear, or putting a less aggressive pad in the front. Its alot easier to drive a car with lots of front bias and too little rear bias, than it is to drive a car with just a little too much rear bias.
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:07 PM   #3
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

MovinUp-1 is an unknown quantity at this point
There are a lot of things that can control brake dive, but putting a proportioning valve on your front brakes is quite dangerous. An adjustable proportioning valve limits the flow of brake fluid to the caliper. You would effectively be reducing the amount of braking force you have on the front of the car and thus reducing your ability to stop. That's not a good thing.

If you want to reduct brake dive you do it with spring, shocks and some other things like your differential pinion angle.
MovinUp-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
If you were to use a proportioning valve you would want to remove the stock bias valve in the M/C, and put the prop. valve on the rear channel. (you'd have to combine, and redistribute.)

The 300zx calipers definately add some front bias though. A better way to help out would be to install a z32 MC. I believe they come stock with a higher split point (more rear bias) than the s14 MC's did.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:08 PM   #5
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
No need to combine, there is a single line that goes to the rear, and its even been cut and split for you just under the fuel filter. Just find the right fittings and goto town.
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:07 AM   #6
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
ahhh.. duh. For whatever reason, I was all backwards in my head. Thanks!