Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #1801
zoototheyork
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
zoototheyork has made poor choiceszoototheyork has made poor choiceszoototheyork has made poor choiceszoototheyork has made poor choiceszoototheyork has made poor choiceszoototheyork has made poor choiceszoototheyork has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
does this affect body roll because the transmission and dif angle are now offset, or "center of gravity" ? dono
zoototheyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #1802
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
It more than likely will move you're center of gravity lower, but by the looks of it, not by much to even make a noticeable difference.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #1803
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
here's the rear firewall
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #1804
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
...aaaaaaand the subframe all installed
Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #1805
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bohan View Post
Very nice work guys! Luke I hope you get some seat time with all the new goodies before your events.
Hope to see you guys next week sometime. Keep up the great work!

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #1806
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Jonnie: Thanks. Here is the bolt in rear bash bar we talked about on the phone. We are building the front one today. The tow hook spins on, and the threaded part sticks out of a hole where the license plate would normally go. We will also be using the bar itself as the primary rear mount for the diffuser.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #1807
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Sick as always Luke!

Blu808 Race Fab is fabricating the new revolution, and Lab17 will cover it all in sick vinyl. Forget T-800s covered in rubber skin. The true Terminators will be Tig welded works of art slathered in Lab17 stickers.

Luke and Andrew, with their silly Cali accents, are awesome.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #1808
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
I feel sorry for whoever I tandem with.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #1809
ConePirate
Zilvia Member

ConePirate is a jewel in the roughConePirate is a jewel in the roughConePirate is a jewel in the roughConePirate is a jewel in the roughConePirate is a jewel in the roughConePirate is a jewel in the roughConePirate is a jewel in the roughConePirate is a jewel in the rough

oh woops... luke already posted it!
ConePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #1810
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

for standing right next to each other you guys aren't coordinating very well

haha
Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #1811
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Did you guys mount it up to the frame underneath? Does it bolt on or is it welded?

Lets talk tubs. I needed to redo mine in the JefeS14 (since my galvanized ones were "mad fail" - thanks AndrUke )... I originally put them in because I was rubbing like crazy with my 235/40/17s on 17x8.5's, and knew that my 18x10 +0 Works with similar sized tires (245/40/18) would rub even crazier... alas, I couldn't find anything thick enough at the time, and tried .016" galvanized flashing. It was aiight, not pretty, but generally not up to the standard that the rest of my car is. They also were about an inch and a half too big in every direction (I went a little crazy lol), giving me NO room for an intake and barely room for charge piping.

... and after doing Ernie @ DTC's Vert's tubs...

... I decided that mine need MOAR ANGLEZZZZZZZZ - inspired by a similar design I saw at Impulse Engineering.

Measured clearance from the tire to the frame with the suspension at "full droop", ~3.5" - made sure to give myself at least that much clearance above, and matched inside clearance with the tension rod (so when I get knuckles, I can still hit full lock with my 275/30/18 R888s up front).

Helping hand FTMFW.

All mocked up, gotta wait till tomorrow to cut out the sheet pieces (power tools after 11pm are frowned on around here):

Thoughts? I still have the "rounded" style pieces cut out and ready to weld in, but I like the extra room in the bay, and the 'unique-ness' that these have Now that I'm looking at all the pics, I'm wondering if I could do it again without the 1/2" square tubing, and just weld the angled pieces together... muhahahahaha.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:27 AM   #1812
tt99ol
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
tt99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tt99ol
that is gonna be sick when its finished
i'm inspired
Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #1813
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bohan View Post
i thought modifying the subframe instantly takes you out of FD legality for drifting?? are you only running a different series (D1 or something else?) your work looks unbelievably awesome just wondering about the technicalities on the rule book and all that jazz.

on another note, i'd be interested in buying that subframe washer/pipe kit to weld in myself, i've been contemplating just getting SPL solid bushings and milling the top one down to be flush with the subframe but this looks easier & cheaper and just as functional. moar updates!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #1814
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedNewTires View Post
i thought modifying the subframe instantly takes you out of FD legality for drifting?? are you only running a different series (D1 or something else?) your work looks unbelievably awesome just wondering about the technicalities on the rule book and all that jazz.
Not quite...You are allowed to brace the sub-frame, and you are allowed to move the pivot points to a degree. I think you can move them 1.5 inches from stock, but I have not read the rules latley.
Legality has a bunch to do with who you are and how much cash you have, but that is a whole other debate.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #1815
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Did you guys mount it up to the frame underneath? Does it bolt on or is it welded?

Lets talk tubs. I needed to redo mine in the JefeS14 (since my galvanized ones were "mad fail" - thanks AndrUke )... I originally put them in because I was rubbing like crazy with my 235/40/17s on 17x8.5's, and knew that my 18x10 +0 Works with similar sized tires (245/40/18) would rub even crazier... alas, I couldn't find anything thick enough at the time, and tried .016" galvanized flashing. It was aiight, not pretty, but generally not up to the standard that the rest of my car is. They also were about an inch and a half too big in every direction (I went a little crazy lol), giving me NO room for an intake and barely room for charge piping.

... and after doing Ernie @ DTC's Vert's tubs...
I don't like how the tubs in Ernies car come to a sudden drop rather than symmetrically rounding out. You could've brought em a bit closer to the engine on the sides too....

However with the design that you have going on it does allow for better distribution of things in the engine bay as tubs are not really practical for mounting or placing anything where it used to go, and you can always fabricate brackets and bolts to mount sheet covers for the stuff you have hidden under them.

just saying.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #1816
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
I don't like how the tubs in Ernies car come to a sudden drop rather than symmetrically rounding out. You could've brought em a bit closer to the engine on the sides too....

However with the design that you have going on it does allow for better distribution of things in the engine bay as tubs are not really practical for mounting or placing anything where it used to go, and you can always fabricate brackets and bolts to mount sheet covers for the stuff you have hidden under them.

just saying.
Ernie's tubs are shaped exactly how I wanted them - as close as possible, while still clearing everything. Because the tire moves up and down in the well, but not forward or backwards (caster aside), you need a more elliptical shape. As far as the 10* angle on the sides, that gives him an extra couple inches up where his VH45 valvecovers/etc will be, and again, it's in line with where the wheel would hit the tension rod anyway, so no loss of clearance.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #1817
onepuff
Zilvia Member

onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Here's my tubs. A little more filler under that primer than i would like, but i'm ready to get this thing back on the road for the summer dammitt.

onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #1818
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Yeah I remember seeing those before! I dig what you did with the 'flat' section, bringing it all the way to the strut tower. Nice/classic.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #1819
240sxaddict
Leaky Injector

240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self
Just another cage... built this cage for a friend to put in his coupe but ended up going into his hatch. He pre-painted some bars, others are new.

Working hard...

The forward bars are almost unnoticeable from outside the car.

The main hoop in this car has ridiculous fitment.Video to prove it haha.
YouTube - Extreme Cage Fitment
240sxaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #1820
90hatchie
Banned from the Marketplace

90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 90hatchie

first time ever using mig
holds water no leaks
im proud of myself
90hatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #1821
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Here is how you do it.

Solid bushings welded in, dimple died gusseting all around.

Luke, my subframe wants to be like your subframe when it grows up! LOL! I think I am going to do this with my s-14 rear subframe. I was going to buy the solid s-14 to s-13 conversion bushings, but I figure I could machine up some washers like that that are 5mm off center. That seriously moves the subframe up an inch though? I didn't think the bushings were that thick on the top side.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #1822
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxaddict View Post
Just another cage... built this cage for a friend to put in his coupe but ended up going into his hatch. He pre-painted some bars, others are new

The forward bars are almost unnoticeable from outside the car.

The main hoop in this car has ridiculous fitment.Video to prove it haha.
Thats insane! Main hoop is 180*, no more? Thats wild fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90hatchie View Post
first time ever using mig
holds water no leaks
im proud of myself
Haha rad. I'm totally gonna make some eating/drinking utensil now.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #1823
90hatchie
Banned from the Marketplace

90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 90hatchie
lol metal rusts and has oils
i wouldnt dare drink out of this
90hatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #1824
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90hatchie View Post
lol metal rusts and has oils
i wouldnt dare drink out of this

You get the idea. Wash it with dish soap, enjoy.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #1825
240sxaddict
Leaky Injector

240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Thats insane! Main hoop is 180*, no more? Thats wild fitment.
Thanks! And yep, 180*. It touches in the corners and touches the cut away portion of the middle roof brace.

AND the bars are completely welded like always, no gaps left at the tops like some shops do.

Have another S13 coming up. The upper bends should be firmly touching the chassis upper b-pillars and hug the roof. Constantly improving with each cage.

All done with old school measuring, manual bender, and very minimal wasted material.
240sxaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #1826
Jakob
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hey guys im looking for some good ac/dc tig machines. i just found this one:
click here
and i was wondering if you guys could tell me anything about it? i tried searching the miller website for a manual or some specs but i couldnt find any.
i really hope that this thing has a HF starting function haha because this might be the machine im going to pick up, even if i have to drive to england! ha!
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #1827
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Looks like a good deal. I believe all the Syncrowave series were HF starting. Looks like a special version of the 250a.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #1828
SprockCapn

SprockCapn is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConePirate View Post

oh woops... luke already posted it!
That looks the the "cow Catcher" from a freight train!!! That's awesome!
SprockCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #1829
Jakob
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Looks like a good deal. I believe all the Syncrowave series were HF starting. Looks like a special version of the 250a.
cool, thanks for the info i just cant find anything on the net about the 275p.... only on lincolns... that machine doesnt look that old really so i think it has HF. im going to email the seller.
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #1830
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_russian_one View Post
hey guys im looking for some good ac/dc tig machines. i just found this one:
click here
and i was wondering if you guys could tell me anything about it? i tried searching the miller website for a manual or some specs but i couldnt find any.
i really hope that this thing has a HF starting function haha because this might be the machine im going to pick up, even if i have to drive to england! ha!
DO IT!!!
$1200 is a steal for something with a pulse option AND watercooled!!!
310amps is more than enough. Unless you have to weld aluminum over 5/8'' thick!

Plus it's a Miller... and Miller's own
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote