Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-10-2015, 03:40 AM   #1
Shimadorisanni
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
Shimadorisanni is making a name for him/her selfShimadorisanni is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Paintforcars.com Reviews?

I am going to be painting my car here pretty soon and I don't want to go crazy on paint. A friend recommended I check out paintforcars.com, which lists base clear kits for under 200$. Does anyone have any experience with the paint itself? I'm not worried with it being too low quality, as I am sure the car will take a beating in the near future and as a result I'm not shooting for show car, mainly just something to replace the dull red that it is now.

If anyone has any experience please let me know! Or even better, post pics!
Shimadorisanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
blkvrtswp
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
blkvrtswp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I used www.thecoatingstore.com for my DIY paint job BC / CC. Prices are similar, service outstanding (shipped fast, email replies on a Sunday night) and the products worked great.
blkvrtswp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Just spend a little extra money for good materials. $500-600 you can shoot the car with epoxy primer (if it doesn't need any bodywork, which is unlikely), then base mixed from napa, national coatings, or sherwin williams, and a quality clear (like SPI universal clear).
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
pulsar

Trader Rating: (0)
pulsar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have ordered and used paint from the restoration shop of tcpglobal.com for single stage paint and it was very affordable and came out really well also. If you have a Tractor Supply store in your area check out their paint as I've heard pretty good results from it and that's dirt cheap and good for a beater.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-...toration-Shop/
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
EmpyreS13
Zilvia Member

EmpyreS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I sprayed my car with paintforcars.com single stage kit and it came out clean. More so than what I expected. I got the site from one of the build threads here. http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=429141
EmpyreS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Just spend a little extra money for good materials. $500-600 you can shoot the car with epoxy primer (if it doesn't need any bodywork, which is unlikely), then base mixed from napa, national coatings, or sherwin williams, and a quality clear (like SPI universal clear).

+5

if your going to paint it, why cheap out on it? total paint for me with epoxy primer, metallic paint, reducer, clear coat, the whole jazz, was around 550.
I used a local paint shop called beamon and Johnson. I believe they are a sister company of napa? but anyways, there paint was pretty good and cheaper than online prices. its all in the prep work!
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Shimadorisanni
Zilvia Junkie

Shimadorisanni is making a name for him/her selfShimadorisanni is making a name for him/her self
I can get some decent paint, was just wondering on the quality of the paintforcars setup. I dont need anything crazy, i just want it to look decent in pictures and drifting. The car will be damaged a lot so i figured cheaper the paint the better.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
ngonzuige

ngonzuige is an unknown quantity at this point
The car will be damaged a lot so i figured cheaper the paint the better.
ngonzuige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #9
Shimadorisanni
Zilvia Junkie

I would laugh at your cynical comment but you seem to not know how to post pictures
Old 02-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Be careful with low quality paint. I'm not sure where he got it, but he said it was about $200. The black was done with dupont. The red was so nasty, everything that was not covered in the shop has a permanent pink haze on it.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
Shimadorisanni
Zilvia Junkie

How does it look close up? I am about to spray some cheaper paint to see the outcome
Old 02-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I painted my car with the brown chestnut metallic from paintforcars.com and I highly recommend paying a little more for the good stuff. Considering the amount of work it takes to sand the whole car down, tape it off, and paint it, the extra couple hundred bucks is nothing at the end of the day. I wish I would have paid a little more for the good stuff. Even though I was painting it in a buddys garage.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Here is how it turned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mycar.jpg (158.5 KB, 35 views)
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #14
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If you're painting outside or in a make shift booth it's even more imperative you use good materials (especially clear so you can sand and buff it out easily)

silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
For any DIY'er, I'd definitely recommend spending just a bit more on materials the first time around. If you're not interested in dropping $3k+ on a paint job and have some time and friends to do it yourself, put a little extra effort and do it right.

It makes a world of a difference on the final result.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #16
Shimadorisanni
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah thats what I was thinking, i can do the prep work and such, but laying down metallic coats seems difficult. Thanks for the input guys! You have helped me choose
Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #17
claine650
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
claine650 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah, I will say, single stage paint looks good enough for a tight budget, but it definitely is not as durable. Chips easier, and Is more susceptible to damage overall. As stated by others, there isn't too big a difference in pricing between that and the higher quality stuff. There's really nothing more difficult about multi-stage paints, it's just more time consuming which means if you have little patience, you can easily screw up. All depends on budget, desires, and time...
A quality single stage with extra clear coats at the end can certainly pass as a respectable paint job and hold up pretty well though. Of course you can never skimp on prep work and expect great results, but taking care of your paint job after the fact is also important. don't know many people that actually wax and polish their paint as often as it should be done, living in good ol' Ohio can make a factory paint job look like shit in a few years if not taken care of, which you see all the time here.
claine650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #18
DanielS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
DanielS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just go to your local paint store to buy your product.. theyll give you tips on the product your using and your suporting local business.

also cheaper paint covers like shit but a gallon will still do it. if you garage your car the $150-200 clears will last a very longer time
DanielS14 is offline   Reply With Quote