Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
.jrmyrmx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
custom intake help.

hey im making a homemade thing to bring air from outside directly the intake. temporarily im using a dryer hose until i see if its worth spending money on a Billion air duct and air funnel thing.

Billion air funnel and insulated duct:

im going to cut a hole in the sheet metal under where the intake filter and run the duct pipe from the intake to right under the bumper. im debating cutting a hole in my bumper because it would be a bit ugly.

my questions are:

is it safe to use a dryer pipe for a while?

and will the pipe get enough air if it is mounted under the bumper and no on the outside? (option 2)

will the intake get enough air if the duct pipe doesnt seal over the intake pipe? is it worth it to seal the pipe over the intake (option 3 below))

my options:

(feel free to laugh at my diagram)
.jrmyrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
waltnuts42

Trader Rating: (0)
waltnuts42 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The cooler air will be more effective than the ram air affect. A rule of thumb as about 1% of power increase for every 10 degrees of cooler air. If you really want to do it id focus more on doing it cleanly and in a good spot for the cooler air than getting the ram air affect in it.

As far as sealing it around the intake its gonna be a cooler charge so if i were to do this id probably do that. A buddy mocked up a design like this with the dryer tubing. It looked like it would be decent for the cool air but looked like ass.

A big thing of moving the inlet that low is sucking water up through it. Hydro locking happens more than people think. You see that when actually in the field.
waltnuts42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
.jrmyrmx
Leaky Injector

.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice.jrmyrmx is just really nice
thanks for the help! yeah i thought about the water and ill just have a way of closing it up when its wet and ill probably take it off altogether in the winter.

is it worth cutting into my bumper and stuff? would i actually be able to notice the difference? i just thought of this a few days ago because it seemed like the intake is wedged in the corner with no airflow and to make matters worse its on the hot side of the engine.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Billion Air Duct = SAME SHIT YOU'RE MAKING. They use dryer ducting too...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
shmiddy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
shmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
dude i dont think thats a good idea.... i mean living in colorodo and stuff... well i mean my car is slammed, i would be scared of suckin up water or something
Old 08-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
gprb25
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
gprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
A friend of mine has the exact same design and tubing your using.

His car(s14) has the short ram intake where the filter sits behind the driver side headlight, and routed the "tube" from the brake duct/ bumper hole (next to the fog light) straight up to the filter. Seems to work fine and no problems with water or debris. I wouldn't suggest cutting your bumper for a that small amount of performance that you may not even notice. Just fabricate the tube to fit in the brake duct hole in the bumper, you could even use sheet metal to make a shroud.

Or go with the Injen cold air extension, it routes the piping and filter out of the engine bay so you won't have to deal with the heat it puts off.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

drftthatshit is on a distinguished road
house products and cars never mix right its funny cuz im a tech at a nissan dealer and its funny to here you guys wanting to put dryer exhaust ducting on your cars i mean if you dont have the money by all means go ahead but just wait when you pop the hood and someone askes is that for a cloths dryer lol
drftthatshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
.jrmyrmx
Leaky Injector

heres the beautiful dryer hose (the hose peaking out the bottom is temporary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Billion Air Duct = SAME SHIT YOU'RE MAKING. They use dryer ducting too...
haha thanks for the fyi, they charge like $50 for that shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmiddy View Post
dude i dont think thats a good idea.... i mean living in colorodo and stuff... well i mean my car is slammed, i would be scared of suckin up water or something
my car isnt slammed (yet ) but im going to ame a cover and cover it up when it rains. and im going to put a grating over the vent when i make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprb25 View Post
A friend of mine has the exact same design and tubing your using.

His car(s14) has the short ram intake where the filter sits behind the driver side headlight, and routed the "tube" from the brake duct/ bumper hole (next to the fog light) straight up to the filter. Seems to work fine and no problems with water or debris. I wouldn't suggest cutting your bumper for a that small amount of performance that you may not even notice. Just fabricate the tube to fit in the brake duct hole in the bumper, you could even use sheet metal to make a shroud.

Or go with the Injen cold air extension, it routes the piping and filter out of the engine bay so you won't have to deal with the heat it puts off.
oh cool, ive seen a few people do it liek that. i got the hose in the right place, now i just need to fabricate a scoop of sors to mount under the bumper like this:

Old 08-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
If you want it to look cleaner, have you considered swapping to chuki (91-94) front bumper?

Then for the engine bay area, you can enclose the whole thing in essentially an aluminum box - ala arc intake induction box, almost.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
.jrmyrmx
Leaky Injector

good idea, but i likes my piggie. goddammit i wish i could weld, then i would fab an intake box with a clear window in it, all the piping and a little scoop. i may have to find new friends..with welders
Old 08-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
seven.62
Zilvia Member

seven.62 is making a name for him/her selfseven.62 is making a name for him/her self
your diagrams are dope +rep

thats no dome, bit@h go HOME!
seven.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
.jrmyrmx
Leaky Injector

thanks for the compliments on the diagrams. theyre pretty easy and help me visualize stuff, but then again ive been using Illustrator for years.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
honestly if oyu can pull off option 3 i think it'll be better.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
jerryk
Leaky Injector

jerryk is a well-known jackass
Cool short fresh air intake work in progress

I like option 3 for my 1990 240sx. My plan is to cut a 3” hole in the passenger side bumper using the existing angle facing downward under the direction signal area and finish it off with a black plastic 3” OD desk grommet $12.00. Standard Plastic Grommets - Rockler Woodworking Tools
I have also purchased a 3” OD electric RV automatic waste valve so I can close the pipe when it rains. The electric valve two flanges and remote switch under $90.00 shipped. Call 8777878833 and explain the purpose they will configure it for you needs. I selected two male 3” on both sides. Female is also available at www.Drainmaster.com. I purchased a 3” Home Depot metal twistable angle pipe that connects the front plastic grommet to the valve. I have not figured what kind of tubing I am going to use to bring the air from the electric valve into a 3” hole, which will come, through the battery tray. I also have to make a short tube to connect directly to the intake manifold and swing right to connect to the MAF / K&N. What to do with the battery? I prefer to install it on the driver’s side. I just have to figure how to move the fuse box out of the way. This is a much shorter and colder air route then on top of the radiator and across the engine compartment. My current K&N filter with the stock air intake gets very hot. It was a wasted move with my hot headers for summertime use. I think I am going to make a metal header heat shield like the stock unit to deflect the heat.

This is all taking a back seat because of poor idle and gas mileage.
jerryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
.jrmyrmx
Leaky Injector

thanks for doing this with me

i wedged the fusebox up on the side and ziptied it, see it peeking out on the left side?

its not going to get much air into the intake unless its sealed around the filter, then the intake will actually suck air form outside the car.