Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
TheSparo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheSparo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TheSparo
IC piping, SS vs Aluminum

would there be any benfits from using stainless steel piping or aluminum piping?
just curious
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Aluminum Piping

PROS

Lightweight
Dissipates heat better
Looks badass when professionally welded

CONS

More difficult to weld and will cost more if you don't do it yourself
Difficult to find aluminum bungs for vacuum lines and such.

I just made mine in aluminum recently because my dad is a welder and he does pro status work. I found a vacuum line fitting at home depot for my wastegate. I got my my IACV fitting from a shaved cast piece off of my S15 turbo inlet for the crankcase ventilator. You could always weld extra plate onto the piping and tap a copper fitting for the IACV but it wouldn't look as pimp. I'd post pics but I don't have a digital camera.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
uno
Zilvia Member

uno is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to uno
looks mainly and stainless won't rust other than that, no.
CA18DET t25, 440CC injectors, Greddy FMIC, Greddy Hot Pipe, Greddy Type RS Bov ,Greddy Turbo Outlet, Trust DP, Motoria 3" Catback , XS Tubular Manifold, Nismo AFPR ,Nismo Engine and Transmission Mounts ,Apex'i SAFC 2 Walbro 255lph, LSD, SPL Subframe Collars, Tein S Tech Springs, Tein Tie Rods, Upper Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces. Black 180sx wheels.
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If you are like me and would like to make your intake temps even lower, get one of these intake manifold gaskets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

When I have the time I'm going to get one and install it. I noticed that the heat from my engine travels and heats my intake mani, TB, and about 8 inches of my cold pipe.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SirWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by uno
looks mainly and stainless won't rust other than that, no.
Aluminum dont rust.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
uno
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWarrior
Aluminum dont rust.
ok maybe i was thinking steel? but whatever muffler shops use to make "custom" exhausts that pipe sure rusts around here all the time on all cars. we have salt on the roads in the winter and during the spring people get their "custom" exhausts remade.

edit: aluminum oxidizes though. was what i was meaning anyways.
CA18DET t25, 440CC injectors, Greddy FMIC, Greddy Hot Pipe, Greddy Type RS Bov ,Greddy Turbo Outlet, Trust DP, Motoria 3" Catback , XS Tubular Manifold, Nismo AFPR ,Nismo Engine and Transmission Mounts ,Apex'i SAFC 2 Walbro 255lph, LSD, SPL Subframe Collars, Tein S Tech Springs, Tein Tie Rods, Upper Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces. Black 180sx wheels.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by uno
ok maybe i was thinking steel? but whatever muffler shops use to make "custom" exhausts that pipe sure rusts around here all the time on all cars. we have salt on the roads in the winter and during the spring people get their "custom" exhausts remade.

edit: aluminum oxidizes though. was what i was meaning anyways.
u talking about crappy exhausts from places like Meineke (sp?) and such?
They sometimes use aluminized steel... which is crap.... others use galvanized, which is equally crap. But then if you go to a place like that looking for something quality and performance enhancing, you're stupid anyhow LOL

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #8
uno
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
u talking about crappy exhausts from places like Meineke (sp?) and such?
They sometimes use aluminized steel... which is crap.... others use galvanized, which is equally crap. But then if you go to a place like that looking for something quality and performance enhancing, you're stupid anyhow LOL
yeah that's it. the sign out front says "custom aluminum exhausts" lol but yeah they suck. sorry about the confusion guys.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #9
Gladman
Zilvia Member

Gladman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Gladman
Stainless is heavier that aluminum by quite a bit, its easier to weld and its stronger.

Aluminum is light, harder to weld and is softer than stainless, if you hit it with something it can dent. Id much rather have aluminum though.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
TheSparo
Zilvia FREAK!

TheSparo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TheSparo
hmmmmm so since there is no significant imbalance, i think i will go ahead and go with stainless since it's cheaper and get it welded a lot easier... any objections ?
Old 07-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #11
Replicant_S14
Zilvia Junkie

Replicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSparo
hmmmmm so since there is no significant imbalance, i think i will go ahead and go with stainless since it's cheaper and get it welded a lot easier... any objections ?
It's easier than aluminum to weld but that doesn't mean that just anybody is going to be able to do it. SS needs it's own filler and gas mix. It's also one serious bitch on cutting tools.
Rules of Boozing #10: Do not make eye contact with the bartender if you do not want a drink.
Replicant_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:31 AM   #12
Gladman
Zilvia Member

Gladman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Gladman
I've welded stainless before, i used regular 75/25 gas and didnt use any filler rod, once you get a pool, you can just pull material off the pipe to make your weld. Welded fine.