Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-28-2005, 02:58 AM   #1
i8yourfwd
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
i8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to i8yourfwd
S13 momo hub install woes

Yeah yeah, I know your thinking, how could something so simple go wrong. Mine did. As soon as I try to tighten the hub to the center console, the horn goes.. and it just keeps going. I had nothing else connected to the hub at the time. Does this signify a faulty hub? How would such a simple piece be faulty. :[ Is there something I'm supposed to modify regarding the 3 pins in the center console?

Quote:
S13SilviaGirl: Mel are you that big?
i8yourfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2005, 03:04 AM   #2
holisticbeatz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
holisticbeatz is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I really doubt you have a faulty hub. I think you have a bad ground somewhere; so when you install your hub, it closes the circuit and sounds off your horn. I suggest removing the steering wheel column and looking for loose wires and anything else out of the ordinary.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:14 AM   #3
i8yourfwd
Zilvia FREAK!

i8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by holisticbeatz
I really doubt you have a faulty hub. I think you have a bad ground somewhere; so when you install your hub, it closes the circuit and sounds off your horn. I suggest removing the steering wheel column and looking for loose wires and anything else out of the ordinary.
Something makes me think it's the hub, because when I wiggle the only wire on the hub, the horn will sound. Bah.. damn ebayness.. I'll try to put it in tomorrow. Also, My quick release has a red and black wire, the hub only has a black wire.. How would I wire it for my horn to work?

Actually come to think of it. My horn doesn't work with my stock wheel on. Wow, what a pain this will be. I don't know what to check for in the center console. But, could it be the horn relay? I'll go pick up a new one and see if that makes my horn on the stock wheel work.

Quote:
Old 06-28-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
wutangben
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
wutangben is making a name for him/her selfwutangben is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wutangben
I need to figure out how to get my horn to work too... How much did you pay for your Momo hub? I can get them for about $45 if you're planning on getting another one....

Ben
wutangben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SirWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
the 2 wire one is using a positive (12v) as signal to the horn.
the 1 wire one is using the ground to close the loop.

Its not THAT complicated.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
i8yourfwd
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWarrior
the 2 wire one is using a positive (12v) as signal to the horn.
the 1 wire one is using the ground to close the loop.

Its not THAT complicated.
So to wire a working horn.. the ground get's connected to the ground on my wheel.. Then the positive from my horn goes to.. the metal part of the hub?
:|

Quote:
Old 06-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8yourfwd
So to wire a working horn.. the ground get's connected to the ground on my wheel.. Then the positive from my horn goes to.. the metal part of the hub?
:|
u sure u got the right hub? IIRC, there are 2 or 3 that will fit, the difference being hte ring spacers on teh back (see the 3 pins on the back of your steering mount?). Some 240s had CC, some did not, it changes the contact points for those pins depending on which hub u got. I have an LE with the CC, meaning the 3 pins on the mount, the hub only touches one of them, the horn, and it's just a ground loop. Horn button closed (on), loop closed, button off, loop open (no horn), simple.

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

OMG you guys are making this too complicated.
Its a circut, with a switch.
1 wire - Switch is on the ground side
2 wire - Switch is on the +12v side.
ITS SIMPLE!!!!!!!!
If you have problems hooking up something this simple, got to BestBuy and ask the 16yr old guy in the install bay to show you how to do it.

P.S.
If you still can't figure out, buy a test light. they are under 10bucks for a pretty good one. Or get a Fluke DMM
Old 06-29-2005, 02:41 AM   #9
i8yourfwd
Zilvia FREAK!

Even on the momo site it says there's only one hub for the S13.. But anyways.. I just took off the horn fuse and put it on so my horn doesn't go crazy again.

Quote:
Old 06-29-2005, 03:13 AM   #10
Nan Desu Ka?!
Zilvia FREAK!

Nan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Nan Desu Ka?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutangben
I need to figure out how to get my horn to work too... How much did you pay for your Momo hub? I can get them for about $45 if you're planning on getting another one....

Ben
LOL, now you tell me! after i spend $59.50 on mine so i can get my tenzo wheel on... doh!

o well, gotta pay for good parts i suppose. besides, a wheel hub is the last place you want o skimp on becuase ur a cheap fucker like me. countersteering+wheel pops off = wrecked car + suicidle driver :P

Norcal-240sx.net
Nan Desu Ka?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 AM   #11
wutangben
Zilvia Addict

wutangben is making a name for him/her selfwutangben is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
OMG you guys are making this too complicated.
Its a circut, with a switch.
1 wire - Switch is on the ground side
2 wire - Switch is on the +12v side.
ITS SIMPLE!!!!!!!!
If you have problems hooking up something this simple, got to BestBuy and ask the 16yr old guy in the install bay to show you how to do it.

P.S.
If you still can't figure out, buy a test light. they are under 10bucks for a pretty good one. Or get a Fluke DMM
come hook mine up if it's so easy, i'll be home all night after work (5pm and on) :P
Old 06-29-2005, 10:21 AM   #12
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

stop by my house, Im doing the 5lug on the rear.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8yourfwd
Even on the momo site it says there's only one hub for the S13.. But anyways.. I just took off the horn fuse and put it on so my horn doesn't go crazy again.
no, u misunderstood.
I said there's several that will FIT. if u got it off ebay or somewhere, you may not have what u think you have. My friend was running a hub for another nissan (I forget which) for over a year before he realized it was the wrong one. Just cuz it sez S13 on the box, doesn't necessarily mean that's what's in it. My friend experienced just that, dunno if it was the seller, or a boxing error at the manufacturing plant or a mislabel or what. But he DID order a S13 hub, and it said that on the box, but that wasn't what was inside.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

z32 ones fit, possibly some maxima ones.....
Been a while.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #15
i8yourfwd
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
no, u misunderstood.
I said there's several that will FIT. if u got it off ebay or somewhere, you may not have what u think you have. My friend was running a hub for another nissan (I forget which) for over a year before he realized it was the wrong one. Just cuz it sez S13 on the box, doesn't necessarily mean that's what's in it. My friend experienced just that, dunno if it was the seller, or a boxing error at the manufacturing plant or a mislabel or what. But he DID order a S13 hub, and it said that on the box, but that wasn't what was inside.
Ahh ok, I see what your saying. I'm sure I have the right one, the part number from the momo site matches the part number on the hub and on the hub's box.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2005, 08:13 AM   #16
wutangben
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
stop by my house, Im doing the 5lug on the rear.
don't know where you live... is your swap done?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:49 AM   #17
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SR is in, yep. But the brakes in the rear were making noise so I just finished the 5lug (rear) at 11PM.
I would take it for a spin, but still need to bleed the brakes and I got no plates on it yet
But if you want I can stop by after work and we can drive down to my house, it by gale street inn.