Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Calling all you crapple...er apple fans.

So I decided to throw down for a macbook. It looks pretty and all that, but now what?

Teach me the ways so I can walk into the apple store and converse with my fellow apple gurus about how I don't get virus' and type important stories at Starbucks 24/7.

Educate me on what I need to download and some cool stuff this thing can do and try to convince me that it isn't a shiny piece of shit and doesn't suck.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
its just a fancy shiny thing,
that makes everything complicated
lol
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
ALTRNTV
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
ALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ALTRNTV
On my Macbook, I just have the usual suspects of programs:

-Microsoft Office
-Photoshop
-Illustrator
-Mozilla

I just use it for school and surfing the 'net anyways. I recommend DLing iStatPRO, it gives
you information on different CPU temps, processes, memory usage, and fan speed.

I've had mine for almost a year this Black Friday, and I've had no problems with is, except
once where one of the programs froze. No virus/worm attacks whatsoever (so far).
ALTRNTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

g-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of light
i hate macs interface

used one for work everyday. absolutely horrible

company finally started realizing macs are not the way of the future, and furiously began converting their archves to PC.

PC >>>>>>> MAC

unless you're a girl who makes pretty pictures.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
come on dude lets not make this into a mac vs pc war thread lol.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

g-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of light
ok

ummm

download that lightsaber mod

you can join these two dudes and be the third man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK4AonfnFaM
Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
YucA
Leaky Injector

YucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of lightYucA is a glorious beacon of light
cyberduck - ftp/ssh/etc
Burn - to burn images/cd/dvd/etc
VLC - dopest media player on pretty much ANY platform
Transmission - Torrents
Colloquy - IRC

What else would you need? Other than the usual shit that has already been stated like PS and MS Office...

If you're worried about making the switch over to OSX even smoother, you can partition your hdd and run windows 7 or whatever you please... There are a few different options to doing this.
YucA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
download Adium, it lets you use all instant messengers in one program. buy lojack, mine got stolen last april, i would have had it back it i had that. macforums.com helped me a bit when i first got it. learn all the keyboard shortcuts. watch the tutorials on using leapard etc. congrats and have fun!
SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Well welcome to macs...

For programs hit up Mac Update! It's got everything that you'd be looking for.

The programs that I recommend are:

Transmission (torrents)
VLC player (video playback)
Adium (online chat)
Acquisition (download music, videos, programs whatever)
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
h815 240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
h815 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dont bother buying Microsoft office, powerpoint ext. The programs that come with mac (pages, keynote and numbers) can all be saved as a doc. or ppt. file. So there is no need to buy the pc equivalent.
h815 240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
MTalon
Leaky Injector

MTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant future
Photoshop
Final Cut Pro
Adobe After effects
VLC
Mozilla

and you have yourself a pimp machine
MTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Macs are easy to use my kids get on the net and do all kinds of shit!! I put parental locks on in 20 sec and they were off! With the Intego software for spam,virus,trojans ,damn everything is protected with this program! The only problem is that I find myself needing some p.c. programs! So I forked over another 100 bucks and installed boot camp! I have the best of both worlds! I can plug any device into my mac and within 5 seconds its up and running if not it tells me exactly what I have to do!
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #13
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Swagtastic. I'll have to get a move on and get these programs. Hopefully I start to enjoy this thing. Because right now the only thing keeping me interested is the light up apple on the case.

wtf
Old 11-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
MTalon
Leaky Injector

MTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant futureMTalon has a brilliant future
^ thats enough by its self to want one
Old 11-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #15
1ZlowZ
Zilvia Addict

1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute1ZlowZ has a reputation beyond repute
haha lies :P you just dont want to be put down by the pc guys. joke obviously.
anyways man good luck get i know ive heard some dudes run they're macs without anti virus.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
MTalon
Leaky Injector

^ I never had one on my laptop for the 4 years I used it. But i guess virus' are starting to pop out of the woodwork for macs. Its a good precaution
Old 11-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #17
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ZlowZ View Post
haha lies :P you just dont want to be put down by the pc guys. joke obviously.
anyways man good luck get i know ive heard some dudes run they're macs without anti virus.
been doing it for years. No virus's no problems.

Oh and for Audio Production and music composition LOGIC is the bomb!

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #18
MTalon
Leaky Injector

^
Pro Tools FTW!!!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #19
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Swagtastic. I'll have to get a move on and get these programs. Hopefully I start to enjoy this thing. Because right now the only thing keeping me interested is the light up apple on the case.

wtf

i'm curious to the reason why you are buying one

you don't seem too interested in it.

here's a story.

My friend bought a mac book out of curiousity once. He had lots of disposable income, and wanted to see what was so good about them. He ended up forking over about 3000 when it was all said and done. He doesn't play games on computers, he just uses it to browse, do some school, and play around on.

Hated it.

1 week later, sold it on craigslist for an embarrassingly low price. Bought an asus laptop with the money leftover.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #20
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-via View Post
i'm curious to the reason why you are buying one

you don't seem too interested in it.
Pretty much. I'm a tech head and have multiple laptops and desktop rigs. I've always been a Windows guy yet for some reason whenever the conversation comes up Apple fans seem to talk so high over their religion like mac cult.

So instead of staying under a shell (window?) I figured it was time to see what it's all about. I'm going to install all the stuff suggested.

Hopefully this Mac will help me find my inner fruit (apple guys are spiritual right?)

It's beginning!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #21
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTalon View Post
^
Pro Tools FTW!!!!!
LOL the question is are you a real Pro Tools user or band wagon you heard it was good and someone sold you on it.

Truth be told for straight ahead standard audio production Pro Tools is a standard and decent but for years its sound engine sounded like shit. The converters it came with sounded like shit. To this end I can honestly say both Logic and Nuendo/Cubase sound a whole lot better and have much better audio engines. I.E. their internal mix busses sound better.

There is a reason lots of Pro's use and or used Apogee converters or other high end converters over the ones Digidesign provides. 196HD is better but still in my opinion? MEH.

Plus truth be told unless someone is paying you the big bucks for the work Pro Tools is way overpriced, for a full 196HD system.

Pro Tools LE is for kids who don't know any better and would not know good sound if it hit them over the head. Ya I said that.
Its entry level with cheap converters and a hobbled plug in setup. Its great to get to convert your files over for compatibility with other peoples Pro Tools system, but these days I can do that in Logic as well, and Logic has incredible native plug ins and soft synths as well as being RTAS.

Oh and I am trained and certified in Pro Tools. I still prefer Logic from a compositional standpoint.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #22
MTalon
Leaky Injector

^ I got a degree in digital video production and used protools as my main source of audio manipulation. However im no pro at it, i knew how to do what i needed to do and it did a good job at it. I am biased on it since i haven't experienced much else in terms of audio engineering.

Well i take that back, i briefly played around with logic but don't recall pros/cons i found.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #23
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTalon View Post
^ I got a degree in digital video production and used protools as my main source of audio manipulation. However im no pro at it, i knew how to do what i needed to do and it did a good job at it. I am biased on it since i haven't experienced much else in terms of audio engineering.

Well i take that back, i briefly played around with logic but don't recall pros/cons i found.
Well if your doing digital Video production and your doing it for sound a lot of the Pro's these days are using Nuendo. Its pretty bomb for that. Logic 9 is also pretty damn amazing. Apple has really done a incredible job with it.

Now if your doing Video production then the standard was Avid who happened to buy Digidesign. Though they were two separate companies at one time. Oh and Digidesign keeps Avid afloat as Final Cut has really taken a chunk out of Avids Game at a fraction of the cost.
Final Cut is another great thing about MAC's.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #24
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Wait. So there is a audio program that it stock right? I'm too lazy to open it up and look. I remember it had some sound editing/creation thing. But I can't remember the name.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Wait. So there is a audio program that it stock right? I'm too lazy to open it up and look. I remember it had some sound editing/creation thing. But I can't remember the name.
Garage band comes on the system. Its kinda of a dumb'd down Logic. A full version of Logic is $500. Logic express is $299 ( I believe). Honestly if you really want to dive into audio production and composition Logic is not a bad way to go. It has a huge collection of excellent soft synths and the EXS24 sampler is fantastic. It also comes with Jam Pacs an extremely large sample library. All in all a fucking awesome deal for a Powerful Native DAW for $500 . Of course then you will need a good audio interface i.e. AD/DA converters with some kind of mic pre. and a set of good monitors. I mean this is just the beginning audio production can be just as addicting as cars. LOL
I should know. hahahhahahha

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #26
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Am I the only one who isn't a fan of the OEM trackpad? Feels like I need to coat it in some astroglide or something.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #27
KrazyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (28)
KrazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
It will take you a litle bit to get used to it, but you will probably like it better than a PC. I've used PC's for years and always hated Macs..... Until I got one, now I want another. They are consistent as hell and run sooo smoooth...
KrazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #28
bboyswoosh87
Zilvia Member

bboyswoosh87 will become famous soon enoughbboyswoosh87 will become famous soon enoughbboyswoosh87 will become famous soon enoughbboyswoosh87 will become famous soon enough
If you haven't bought a macbook I think you should wait until January because I heard they are updating their macbook pro's with a new processor. I'm also going to buy one for school next semester and see what all the fuzz is about plus I can always put windows 7 if I want to play games at school or if i don't like it.
bboyswoosh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #29
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
Macs don't get viruses because Apple has like 7% marketshare compared to PC's. And most of the users are broke college students and trendy "authors" and what not. No motivation to make many viruses. I wouldn't mind getting a mac, because all I do is browse a series of tubes, listen to music, and do little shit I could do on any OS. I don't play games or anything, and I don't go to school yet so I don't need MSword or anything.

The price is a big factor though. fucking a grand for a cheap laptop mac. I can get a nice laptop for windows for like 300 bucks brand new. And with my limited but respectable knowledge of computers, I have never had a problem with viruses or anything because I am willing to pay the money for good AV and not download porn, except on this laptop, it came free.

I think its all a matter of preference, and what your gonna use it for.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #30
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
apple sucks

get a real computer suckass posers
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote