Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
krissynbeau
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
krissynbeau is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
anyone pass smog with a 5-speed conversion?

I want to get one done on my car but I want still pass smog.
krissynbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
5t341tH
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
why the hell wouldnt it? are you assuming from the CEL light?

lexus baby
5t341tH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
krissynbeau
Leaky Injector

yes, that would be one of my concerns
Old 06-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
pull the bulb out lol... well never mind that wouldnt work dont they check for that when you turn the key to accessories?
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Make sure the tranny matches your motor. OBD 1 motor to OBD 1 tranny or OBD 2 motor to OBD 2 tranny and you should be fine

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
nep
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
nep is a jewel in the roughnep is a jewel in the roughnep is a jewel in the roughnep is a jewel in the roughnep is a jewel in the roughnep is a jewel in the roughnep is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
1. manual ecu
2. follow this: S14 Tranny Swap - Electrical Connections
3. if you have an obdII s14 you need the CAS sensor that goes into the bellhousing of the trans
nep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
if it's an s13 there is no issue. s14 use 5 spd ecu and follow all wiring.

search. you'll find more info.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
krissynbeau
Leaky Injector

I have a 1993, does that mean I cant use a 94 tranny
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 AM   #9
bo2o
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
bo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
it should be fine. its a visual,
just go to a smog guy you know and tell him y its throwing a code.
smog guys that are dicks wont want to pass it. but if your cool with the tech it should be fine.

^^^click^^^
bo2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
codunc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
codunc is making a name for him/her selfcodunc is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
94 trannies are all auto, as all 94s are verts here.
so that wouldn't be a good candidate for a 5spd conversion
codunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceepo View Post
pull the bulb out lol... well never mind that wouldnt work dont they check for that when you turn the key to accessories?
or she can cut the wires and splice into the one of the other bulbs that isnt on, like window fluid or w/e other crap in on the cluster...others done it, works...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
how about just doing right and not fucking around with jerry rigging your gauge cluster or disabling the fucking CEL

its a transmission swap, its easy as cake. do it fuckin right... i cant imagine anyone not passing smog due to a transmission swap.. youde have to be the biggest fuckin noob to fuck that up
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
driftage240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
driftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftage240
If u do the swap correctly you wont have a prob..my 93 vert doesn't throw a cel..my reverse lights work and my top(do it wrong your top wont worky)....well then again i did the swap..and im super cool and sexy..

Misty blu is coming 4 you!
driftage240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
The Gray Ghost
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
The Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gray Ghost has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissynbeau View Post
I want to get one done on my car but I want still pass smog.
I converted my 240sx from an automatic to a 5 speed and had no problem passing smog.
The Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissynbeau View Post
I have a 1993, does that mean I cant use a 94 tranny
The transmission has nothing to with emissions unless the chassis is a 1996+, and that's only due to the CEL.

89-95 chassis, use any 89-98 transmission. Passes smog the same as an auto. We've been over this for over a dozen years.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
man this thread sucks
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #17
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
how about just doing right and not fucking around with jerry rigging your gauge cluster or disabling the fucking CEL

its a transmission swap, its easy as cake. do it fuckin right... i cant imagine anyone not passing smog due to a transmission swap.. youde have to be the biggest fuckin noob to fuck that up
lol

im just offering the lazy fuck option, i wouldnt do it...i currently have my CEL on due to bad EGR...gotta get that change out soon...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
DreamN
Post Whore!

DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
^Just clean it. Sometimes that's all that shit needs.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #19
heavenboundkevin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
heavenboundkevin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
The transmission has nothing to with emissions unless the chassis is a 1996+, and that's only due to the CEL.

89-95 chassis, use any 89-98 transmission. Passes smog the same as an auto. We've been over this for over a dozen years.

good info. thanks.
heavenboundkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
don_bagz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
don_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
already stated above, make sure motor obd1 has obd1 tranny.. get a 5 speed ecu and that will get rid of the cel.. unless you got other problems that will keep the light on. My kouki was auto, got it swapped. got my 5 speed ecu in. got rid of the light no prob. just got my smog test last month.
don_bagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_bagz View Post
already stated above, make sure motor obd1 has obd1 tranny.. get a 5 speed ecu and that will get rid of the cel.. unless you got other problems that will keep the light on. My kouki was auto, got it swapped. got my 5 speed ecu in. got rid of the light no prob. just got my smog test last month.
You bumped a month old thread just to say you agree? What the fuck.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #22
DreamN
Post Whore!

And his information was still half assed.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #23
bnr32_coupe

Trader Rating: (0)
bnr32_coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceepo View Post
You can wire it up to another bulb that lights up temporarily when you put the key into ingnition/acc
bnr32_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 AM   #24
don_bagz
Zilvia FREAK!

don_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to beholddon_bagz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyRHS13 View Post
You bumped a month old thread just to say you agree? What the fuck.
that was my bad. i was doing a search and stumbled upon the thread.. didnt realize how old it was..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
And his information was still half assed.
that was a break down of stuff.. you want me to explain in detail for you? get a life. get off me.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #25
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:

that was a break down of stuff.. you want me to explain in detail for you? get a life. get off me.
His point was you said "OBD-I transmission", there is no such thing. The transmission has nothing to do with emissions.

S14 units add the crank position sensor for diagnosis of misfire, though it is NOT an OBD-I/OBD-II thing as all 1995 models are OBD-I.

What you meant to say, is that if you're doing a 5speed swap on an S14 chassis, it's better to use an S14 transmission since it has the CPS hole already. That's the appropriate answer.

S14 DOES NOT EQUAL OBD-II. EVER.

So for the last time, ALL 89-98 MANUAL TRANSMISSION ARE THE SAME. Period, save for a few switch changes throughout production. None of them are OBD-I specific or OBD-II specific.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 07-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #26
don_bagz
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
His point was you said "OBD-I transmission", there is no such thing. The transmission has nothing to do with emissions.

S14 units add the crank position sensor for diagnosis of misfire, though it is NOT an OBD-I/OBD-II thing as all 1995 models are OBD-I.

What you meant to say, is that if you're doing a 5speed swap on an S14 chassis, it's better to use an S14 transmission since it has the CPS hole already. That's the appropriate answer.

S14 DOES NOT EQUAL OBD-II. EVER.

So for the last time, ALL 89-98 MANUAL TRANSMISSION ARE THE SAME. Period, save for a few switch changes throughout production. None of them are OBD-I specific or OBD-II specific.
thats what i meant to say.. was, if you had a obdII car, you will need a tranny that has a CPS hole(which only came in obdII cars).. guess, it was written wrong.. but thats what i meant to say.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #27
Ares240SX
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Ares240SX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I passed smog, in CA, with a manual swap. The guy didn't even ask any questions even though when he put the VIN into the computer it told him it was an automatic car originally. Shouldn't be a problem.
Ares240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #28
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares240SX View Post
I passed smog, in CA, with a manual swap. The guy didn't even ask any questions even though when he put the VIN into the computer it told him it was an automatic car originally. Shouldn't be a problem.
Of course he didn't. There is no smog equipment on your trans.

LOL

Seriously this thread is so stupid and full of shit. It should have ended with what Project RDM said.

Mods please come and lock this lame excuse of a thread.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #29
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
thats what i meant to say.. was, if you had a obdII car, you will need a tranny that has a CPS hole(which only came in obdII cars).. guess, it was written wrong.. but thats what i meant to say.
You are still incorrect. The CPS is found on ALL S14 models, '95-'98. Only '96-'98 models are OBD-II though. The changeover is NOT OBD-I vs. II, it's S13 vs. S14.

1995 models are ALL OBD-I.

I don't know how to word it any clearer.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #30
DreamN
Post Whore!

Russ, actually some late model California '95s are OBD-II.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD