Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #301
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
awesome build really want to see this thing running/dynoed
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #302
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Thanks to inopsey, I got the engine and Hall effect sensor sync'd up. After a few cranks the engine came to life, rev'd and fizzled out. Now it's just fine tuning everything to get it to idle and eventually drive, baby steps...
Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #303
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
woot!!!
saskldjf;ajf
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #304
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Teigen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice, happy to hear it sorted out! I guess you've already ordered a dyno day to get a map? hehe
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #305
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
woot!!!
saskldjf;ajf
That's what I'm screamin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigen View Post
Nice, happy to hear it sorted out! I guess you've already ordered a dyno day to get a map? hehe
I do not have a day sorted yet. I'd like to get the car idling and driving a bit before I set a date in stone. Just incase any bugs come up that need to be taken care of.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #306
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Teigen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
That's what I'm screamin'!

I do not have a day sorted yet. I'd like to get the car idling and driving a bit before I set a date in stone. Just incase any bugs come up that need to be taken care of.
So you already have a map made for your engine?

When I am starting up an engine for the first time with new ecu I make a map so that it runs on low rpm, just setting ignition and fuel circa and set correct trigger settings, then I have to go to my friends garage and he makes a full map for me in his dynapack

anyway: drive it test it map it race it (read with daft punk melodi in mind haha)
Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #307
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Can't wait man!

Gonna give that place you told me about a call sometime today.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #308
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good to see it was only a little wiring problem and not engine problem.

We had a similar problem with fd driver Dave Briggs / sr24vet from mazworx ! The hall sensor had two wire that were inverted in the hall sensor connector ! It was even sealed with shrink wrap so we never though checking it out as it was strait out of mazworx shop !!!

Put a Video of it running ! I need motivation to finish mine

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #309
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Heck yeah man, can't wait to see this thing tear it up and read about what you think of it.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #310
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I've been gone for a bit, and your telling me this thing isn't shredding tire yet!

Great work as per usual man, can't wait to see/hear some video. Shit I want to see this thing for real!
KoukiMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #311
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigen View Post
So you already have a map made for your engine?

When I am starting up an engine for the first time with new ecu I make a map so that it runs on low rpm, just setting ignition and fuel circa and set correct trigger settings, then I have to go to my friends garage and he makes a full map for me in his dynapack

anyway: drive it test it map it race it (read with daft punk melodi in mind haha)
Yes, I have been working with Steve, from Shadowerks on my Base tune. Needless to say, it's been more involved that anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Can't wait man!

Gonna give that place you told me about a call sometime today.
DUDE! You're tellin' me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs14kouki View Post
Good to see it was only a little wiring problem and not engine problem.

We had a similar problem with fd driver Dave Briggs / sr24vet from mazworx ! The hall sensor had two wire that were inverted in the hall sensor connector ! It was even sealed with shrink wrap so we never though checking it out as it was strait out of mazworx shop !!!

Put a Video of it running ! I need motivation to finish mine
I too heard of the mis-pinning from the factory. I called Mazworx to chat about it. After tearing apart the wiring to make sure all was good at the sensor, it was a problem at the ECU. Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Heck yeah man, can't wait to see this thing tear it up and read about what you think of it.
I ought to be fun, I'm just happy to hear it run after almost 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
I've been gone for a bit, and your telling me this thing isn't shredding tire yet!

Great work as per usual man, can't wait to see/hear some video. Shit I want to see this thing for real!
Baby steps man. I've been busy with life and other things that have come up. There will definitely be videos of it in action.

So this happened this evening...

I've got some investigative work to do on finding out what the tapping/knocking noises are. I'm hoping it's not rod knock and the few revs I've been able to do, do not point towards that. However, this motor did fail on me or rather the head did at the track and I drove it back on 3 cylinders to the pits, so who knows right now. My main guess/hope is that it is in the top end. I also have an oil leak to attend to at the solenoid adapter plate. If it happens to be in the bottom end, 9:1 CP's with some WPC coating and Carrillo rods are going to find their way in.

The next thing to figure out is why it has such a huge lope at idle. Remember, this thing has fuel sipping cams below 5k, and to hear lope such as in the video at idle is unheard of. My best guess, is that the motor is idling on the high lobes and my vac readings support that, -10in/hg, not good on a healthy motor, which I have confirmed 180+ across the board.

This is turning into a never ending pursuit...
Old 11-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #312
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
if your hearing tapping from the head pop the valve cover abd see if you spit out a shim. doubt it tho but wouldn't hurt to make sure all of them are in.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #313
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
The knocking could be a lack of oil or the VVL trying to engage. Try disconnecting the VVL solenoids. It almost sounds as if they are constantly on, thus robbing oil from the motor while there is not sufficient oil pressure below 4K rpm or so.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #314
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
The knocking could be a lack of oil or the VVL trying to engage. Try disconnecting the VVL solenoids. It almost sounds as if they are constantly on, thus robbing oil from the motor while there is not sufficient oil pressure below 4K rpm or so.
Yeah, I tried that and there was no change. In any event it hasn't been configured in the Haltech to operate the solenoids.

I may have the lines mis matched, but I need to pull the intake manifold to look at the oil leak at the solenoid block as it is. I'll figure it out, it is nice to hear it run though.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #315
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
^^So does it sound like a Honda???

Working out the bugs SUCKS after years of building... but a necessary evil I suppose... never fun having to go BCK & tweak stuff that you already spent hrs/days on trying to get it just perfect- only for it to need more attention... Nature of the beast.

What cams? 272?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #316
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
I would imagine its stock VE cams.

Last edited by Tom N; 11-19-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #317
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Thought it was stock 2.0 ve cams.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #318
unijabnx2000
Leaky Injector

unijabnx2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
I couldnt exactly tell from the pictures of the harness but do the sensors have shielded wiring?
unijabnx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #319
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
^^So does it sound like a Honda???

Working out the bugs SUCKS after years of building... but a necessary evil I suppose... never fun having to go BCK & tweak stuff that you already spent hrs/days on trying to get it just perfect- only for it to need more attention... Nature of the beast.

What cams? 272?
You know it better than I at this point man. Cams have two different durations and lifts(VVL remember?). High lobes are in the 270 duration range with 10.8mm of lift. I should be idling on the low lobes, which have 240ish duration and 7.8mm of lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Thought it was stock 2.0 ve cams.
Yes, stock P11 cams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unijabnx2000 View Post
I couldnt exactly tell from the pictures of the harness but do the sensors have shielded wiring?
Everything that needed shielded wiring has it.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #320
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Could be low oil pressure. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? I think I pmed you awhile back inquiring about your setup and I think I remember your using an S14 SR block which has the extra oil port in the front for the chain tensioner for the original S14 SR Head which is obviously not being used with the P11 head. Hopefully this is not the case since I was particularly concern of just relying on the HG itself for sealing purposes than actually tapping or welding it shut. Let us know that you find out and GL!

SoCal KA24DET/KA24ET Owners
<< Join the FB Group >>
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #321
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundPerformance View Post
Could be low oil pressure. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? I think I pmed you awhile back inquiring about your setup and I think I remember your using an S14 SR block which has the extra oil port in the front for the chain tensioner for the original S14 SR Head which is obviously not being used with the P11 head. Hopefully this is not the case since I was particularly concern of just relying on the HG itself for sealing purposes than actually tapping or welding it shut. Let us know that you find out and GL!
I do have an oil pressure gauge and it is showing 80psi on cold start and may be that low due to my suspicion of the rockers seeing oil psi. However at idle I'm seeing 20psi or greater once warmed.

I personally don't see that port causing any issues being that it's sealed, but I suppose the future may tell. If it does, ill break out the drill and tap and seal it up.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #322
2000gtx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
2000gtx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
have you been able to get a timing light on it?
2000gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #323
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gtx View Post
have you been able to get a timing light on it?
Yes, I have had a timing light on the motor. It's right around the 15* BTDC, it fluctuates a bit from the choppy idle.

I should have the motor back together tomorrow evening so I'm hoping to fire it back up. I found that my solenoids were in the incorrect spots, so I swapped them around and verified all my lines do run to the correct ports. I'm hoping to see a less choppy and smoother idle, then it's back to getting it driveable.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #324
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Yes, I have had a timing light on the motor. It's right around the 15* BTDC, it fluctuates a bit from the choppy idle.

I should have the motor back together tomorrow evening so I'm hoping to fire it back up. I found that my solenoids were in the incorrect spots, so I swapped them around and verified all my lines do run to the correct ports. I'm hoping to see a less choppy and smoother idle, then it's back to getting it driveable.

Dyno time soon.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #325
Carl H
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Carl H is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Carl H
remember if using the factory harmonic ballancer that using the timing marker on the fwd cover will give you the wrong base timing.
timing should be set using the vertical rib on the cover much like the factory rwd setup.

nice build tho.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #326
Lockiess15
Zilvia Member

Lockiess15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Any update on this?
Lockiess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #327
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I haven't messed with it too much. I purchased a home and have been doing minor renovations to it. We should be moving in within the end of the week and hopefully I'll have the time to dig into it shortly thereafter.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #328
Lockiess15
Zilvia Member

Fair enough man. I may have missed it if you've already said so, but what are you aiming for on power wise with this? Will this be on pump fuel [93-98] or race fuel?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #329
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockiess15 View Post
Fair enough man. I may have missed it if you've already said so, but what are you aiming for on power wise with this? Will this be on pump fuel [93-98] or race fuel?
I'm hoping for 500 on 93oct. More with race fuel.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #330
Lockiess15
Zilvia Member

Jesus that's a fair bit for pump then . Your head is near factory isn't it?