Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
ghostly240

Trader Rating: (0)
ghostly240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Ghostly's daily drivin' s13

I'll introduce myself. I'm Kyle and I'm currently in my senior year of highschool (as of starting this thread) and I'm currently in the Automotive Tech program at a tech college. (Pinellas Technical College) and I'm on my way to get my ASE certification.

Owning a 240 has always been a dream of mine. But finding one in Florida in somewhat good condition is a one and a million.

I found myself a 1992 240sx Hatchback. With 247,xxx miles on it. yes, that much. but it runs better than some lower ka’s that I see.
I paid $2600 for it and I guess you can say it came with some good things and some bad things.

This will be my daily driver as I work on it to bring it back to life. The plan is to restore it, or restomod if you wanna say that. Not gutting it, no welded diff. Just a clean 240. Let's get started.

Paint isn't that perfect, but just look at that dash.

Took it up to school to look up underneath it. Too bad it's on ebay coils

Car was super low on oil, so went and got high mileage 5w-30 and filled her up.

The car had been smoking a bit, so I decided to take it back to school and get a compression test done.

I got
1 - 190
2 - 185
3 - 195
4 - 190

So everything checked out good there.

here's just some pics of around my school

I started getting tired of looking at my old nasty carpet and decided to do something about it
(This was just a temporary fix until I get around to replacing the carpet)

Now first things first, I wanted to get this painted before I did anything else. Before new suspension, new wheels, etc. I think that a good paint job alone would make this car look amazing. But I wasn’t going to go cheap and just got to maaco to get it sprayed for $500 or whatever. I wanted this done right. I got a friend that goes to the same school as me but for auto body. He painted his Integra and did all the bodywork and it came out amazing. So I hit him up, he gave me a deal that I couldn’t pass up. All the body work done, spray the car, and wet sand and buff for less than $2k. That’s a deal if you ask me.

I also got my center console and radio bezel sprayed by him and if you ask me it was worth it.

In some photos you’ll probably see me driving with no driver side fender. That’s because I took it off because it wasn’t sitting flush like it is on the passenger side.Plus I wanted to tuck the wires. If you know anything about this cars, you know the fender bolts on to the pinch weld done by the floor. Well my pinch welds are smashed and I basically had to cut it off with an angle grinder. I was able to leave enough on there to where I can find a way to bolt it back up, I was thinking rivets, but after test fitting it, it still didn’t sit flush, so I’m still working on that.
We start right the driver side quarter panel. The only hard part about doing the bodywork is getting all the clear off. No need to go to bare metal.

Well he got that finished, primed it up so that I could drive it during the week.
For anyone that know stuff about body work. Yes, he did do hard lines on the primer. We’re planning on filling all the dings and dents, priming the car, sanding the whole thing with 220 and then priming whole car again.

The next weekend came by and we decided to get the hood and hatch done. He said that the hood is a pain in the ass. He’s trying to get it perfect, since the hood is what people always see.

As you can see, this car has had body work done too it before. The bondo showing in the picture is from a previous repair. So I basically confirmed my question to if this car had been resprayed before. (obviously a shitty job)

Next week is the rest of the hood and other quater panel.
ghostly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
DanteTris

DanteTris is an unknown quantity at this point
Sub'ed to this thread. How are those Ebay coils treating you?
DanteTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
ghostly240

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteTris View Post
Sub'ed to this thread. How are those Ebay coils treating you?
Thanks! And they're ehhhh. I mean, whoever bought them wanted to get low for the cheap. I mean the only think I like out of them is being able to adjust height other than that, I feel every bump in the road. They're stiff as hell. Also easy to bottom out with.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #4
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
good on you for restoring it. clean 240s around here are getting rare.
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
ghostly240

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisiu View Post
good on you for restoring it. clean 240s around here are getting rare.
Exactly why I'm doing it, thanks man.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Interested in seeing how this will turn out. It looks like you are on the right track so far, but I have seen many a time before, a young mans inner hoonibro emerge. Do not stray from the path, make us proud. subbed.
silviamang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #7
ghostly240

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviamang View Post
Interested in seeing how this will turn out. It looks like you are on the right track so far, but I have seen many a time before, a young mans inner hoonibro emerge. Do not stray from the path, make us proud. subbed.
No counting on it. Going with original paint code AH3. The Cherry red pearl. Gonna add a little bit more pearl to it make it stand out. After body work, I'm getting steering done, too much play it and then suspension and hopefully replacing rear subframe bushing.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #8
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good to see youre not some young kid who thinks trashing 240's is cool.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
^ Definitely. You're off to a great start man! I bet you must be looking forward to seeing the car with all of the body work completed. I wish I had an S13 in high school (and a good head on my shoulders like you do, lol.)

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #10
ghostly240

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
^ Definitely. You're off to a great start man! I bet you must be looking forward to seeing the car with all of the body work completed. I wish I had an S13 in high school (and a good head on my shoulders like you do, lol.)
Thanks man! I honestly can't wait for it to be done. It's my dream car and I was determined to get it. I still turn heads at school. "Are you the kid with the 240?" Etc. I love it.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Very glad you're choosing to restore and preserve this car unlike literally every other high school 240 owner. Looking forward to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostly240 View Post
Not gutting it, no welded diff. Just a clean 240.
this makes me so happy
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
ghostly240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Very glad you're choosing to restore and preserve this car unlike literally every other high school 240 owner. Looking forward to this.

this makes me so happy
Haha thanks! Another update should be coming soon, I'll probably be posting pictures tonight.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
Myrrors

Myrrors is an unknown quantity at this point
Had to sub for sure! Might not mean much coming from the kid you go to PTEC with, one that you practically see every day, but I still feel like this is a very noteworthy build. I'm proud of you for going the direction you are. You may have a lot to do, but you've came a long way from what it was imo. Good luck with the build!
Myrrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #14
ghostly240

This is how I'm currently driving around, since you know it's my daily.

and i got a better picture of the digusting ebay suspension for you guys.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #15
ghostly240

I have no idea if you guys care or not but I've recently started a YouTube channel to show off the behind the scenes and such of my build progress and also do many other things. Maybe stop by leave a like! thanks! http://youtu.be/YeiM4OK5XVI
Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good start. Keep us updated.