Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:15 PM   #1
SchoolboyAE86

Trader Rating: (0)
SchoolboyAE86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA Unintentional S14 build

PART 1: Story and season #1

Long story short, I'm already in the middle of 2 ae86 projects (one KA-T), and definitely shouldn't buy any more projects.

So, I helped broker a deal on a rusty '95 240sx between a couple of friends. Couple weeks down the line its back up for sale, up some maintenance items and up in price a decent bit. Small argument happened between seller and buyer about it being an attempted quick flip or not, and I used that as an opportunity to satisfy both parties. And also "justifying" what is definitely a project that I shouldn't be taking on. As such, my "no more projects" talking self now had a super rough, auto KA Zenki. Possibly the least likely S-Chassis I would have sought out to do anything to in the first place, I've always been an S15>S13>Kouki>Zenki.

IMG_20200520_071503 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

I couldn't stand the wildly positive offset, and within 24hr's had acquired some R33 Impul RS' to run, and polished the faded hood for a slightly less ghetto appearance

IMG_20200523_124710 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

Then, the original friend that owned this car messaged me to tell me he had a mildly-damaged shell he would be cutting up for the front tubs, and I could cut the rockers out if I wanted. Which then turned into "I need this whole shell gone, if you want it just take it and pay me back when you can"- Infinitely thankful for trustworthy friends to enable my bad decisions.

Had a spare KA 5 speed sitting around, initially destined to be a spare for my KArolla, but it just so happened the shell had a pedal set and master/slave cylinders still. A quick facebook group post quickly returned a manual ABS driveshaft for purchase- nice. With what spare change I had left, I ordered a clutch kit and was graciously lent the friends "scraphouse" driveway (affectionately named after how many terrible 240s have graced the place) to perform the heart transplant to the new chassis and get the transmission conversion done in one sweep.

IMG_20200726_010710_LI by Confusion Media, on Flickr

IMG_20200726_003437 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

IMG_20200731_204558 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

(Here lies the reason for the reshell in the first place):

IMG_20200729_181354 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

While the car was apart and mid-swap, I brought my subframe, LCA's and knuckles to a trusted fabrication friend. He hadn't modified knuckles for anyone before but was willing to do them for me as a trial run- just lowered and shortened tie rod mount, no ackerman or roll center adjustment as I didn't know what I would want at the time, besides a quicker ratio. (I have now changed my view on which of these things is actually necessary, more on that later).

Relocated rack:
IMG_20200803_145316 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

Knuckle, with +25mm LCA and adjustable lock stop and a picture of the angle/ackerman it gave:
IMG_20200903_165115 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

IMG_20200905_123707 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

2 Weeks turnaround time from crusty auto car, to cleaner manual car with basic budget drift modifications:
IMG_20200810_202328 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

My good friend Michael convinced me to come over and test fit some of his wheel collection for fun. The 18 VSKF/19 Ryugi Combo was cool to see on my car, but not for sale. I did manage to strike a deal on a set of 17" Riverside Stich to add a bit more style to the car, and I call that an improvement!
(Probably a good time to mention the mostly complete C-West Body kit that it came with...)

IMG_20200906_164518 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

IMG_20200909_174620 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

IMG_20200910_200035_LI by Confusion Media, on Flickr

The rest of the season was spent pinching pennies to have money to drive at the first drift event at Stratotech Raceway in 9 or so years. I was thrilled to be able to afford it, and made some incredible memories finally being able to blast a road course in my own car. By the end of the event, my left rear coilover had died to the point of visually bouncing up and down when drifting the long left-hand turns on this particular track.

DSC06699 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

and here we ended 2020: Beaten and bruised but proven reliable, and only a mild list of items "needed" to be be addressed for the 2021 season.
IMG_20200913_175334 by Confusion Media, on Flickr

Last edited by SchoolboyAE86; 01-01-2023 at 03:16 PM..
SchoolboyAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2022, 06:39 AM   #2
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Eek, that rust!
Not something I often see down south.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote