Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-16-2001, 07:51 PM   #1

Was the KA24DE mean to be turboed?  IF you have to get a custom turbo kit and everything, what's stopping people from turbocharging their 1994 Buick Skylark GSes,  Ford Explorers and Kia Sephias?  

can someone explain this to me?  what's special about the KA that people want to get it turboed?  why don't people turbocharge the KA truck too?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2001, 08:40 PM   #2
AceInHole
Autox Technician

Trader Rating: (0)
AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
people might turbocharge KA trucks.... I'd wonder about that.  I think the trucks were KA24E 's though, and were most likely built differently.
The only thing I can think of on the KA24DE is the slightly high compression (not really a big prob tho) and the piston skirt design.

On the + side, the S14 engine has been proven to handle 1 bar of boost, and it's thought that it can handle more (I would say 20 psi max before "thar she blows!" area)
Things like oil squirters, the iron block, and the natural power curve of the engine are all pretty good reasons.

Finally, it's the engine that came in 240sx's.  
AceInHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 09:20 PM   #3

they make turbo kits for all sorts of cars..... if theres a market for it or if u have the money for it they will build it.... the ka is nothing special they make turbos for LOTS of cars and manifolds etc.
Old 12-16-2001, 09:28 PM   #4

A guy that works at the local Nissan dealership in the parts department is building a turbo KA for his truck.
Old 12-16-2001, 09:48 PM   #5
whateverjames
Nissanaholic!

whateverjames has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to whateverjames
the reason why i'd want to turbo my engine, is because after seeing what i can do to cars right now, that are supposedly in so much of a higher class or "better", a turbo would kick some ass.
whateverjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 11:19 PM   #6
KoukiS14
Zilvia Addict

KoukiS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to KoukiS14 Send a message via AIM to KoukiS14 Send a message via Yahoo to KoukiS14
You can turbo anything, but why would u wanna turbo a Sephia?  Why would you wanna turbo a 240sx?  If you answered "I dunno" to the first question, and had any sort of answer for the second, then there is a market for that turbo kit hehe. .

also. . you can turbo the truck. . it's a KA24DE. . same engine. . DOHC. . went from (I think) Z24I (dual spark plug per cylinder) to KA24E then DE. . correct me if I'm wrong... It'd be fun a to do an SR swap in a truck, and it has been done.

-Rob
KoukiS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 01:16 AM   #7

DE didn't come for the truck until the frontier