Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
krazyfil
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
krazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 rear end suggestions

ok basically im gonna make this short and sweet... im getting a s13 coupe, full cage, rear, cab, and engine bay, obviously welded to the frame.. there is currently an sr20 in it... but motor is being taken out.. so im getting a donor motor from a buddy which is a ka24e just to get it moving for a while...

the problem is, there is no driveline or rear end(axles or diff) not i am wanting to use this car as a dd but mainly wanting it as a track demon.. i dont care about drifting or anything.. now since i have to buy a new diff and axles anyways.. whut would be a good fit? i already have a guy that will make a custom one piece drive shaft, and im prolly gonna switch back to an sr once i have the money, so that being said like i said just som suggestions would be awesome.

so far my ideas are..

r32 rear
z32tt rear
s14 rear
or just stock rear with vlsd

now if i were to use the r32 or z32 or s14 rear.. what would i have to get to make it work? obviously new rims cuz of lug pattern, but what about brakes or will the diff fit in there? sorry im kinda new to fab work, so sorry if this sounds total newbish lol.. thanks again
Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
krazyfil
Zilvia Addict

krazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choices
any input is welcomed.. i dont care if wanna talk shit as long as u gimme an educated answer.. i just need some help.. im not familiar on rear ends...

oh one more question.. if i changed y mind and decided to make it a drag car, what would i need to do to fit a ford 9" rear on there?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
A vlsd is a vlsd, it doesn't matter what car it came out of. If you're going to put a vlsd in it, just get a stock (s-13 or s-14) vlsd if you can as it has the stock gears. The j-30 diff has a taller gear (3.9) so it will kinda suck on a stock ka. The r-32 diff is the gem on your list. If it is a true GTR diff I don't think it will be a vlsd, I think they are clutch type diffs. Also it will come with a 4.36 ring and pinion, which does WONDERS for a stock KA. As far as I know the r-32 diff should bolt-in with different axles. The r-33 and 34 diff housings will not work though.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
GREXS14
Leaky Injector

GREXS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
KAAZ!!! Done! /thread

LMAO at ford 9"
GREXS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
HYPNOTIK
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
HYPNOTIK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to HYPNOTIK
A R32 rear subframe is identical to yours, the only difference being the brakes. That's all you need really is just a stock subframe with a good diff. No need to upgrade axles until you get to 600ish HP.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREXS14 View Post
KAAZ!!! Done! /thread

LMAO at ford 9"

KAAZ sucks ass. Too grabby and clunky. They're almost as annoying as a welded diff.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
krazyfil
Zilvia Addict

what is funny bout 9" rear? lol...

but as far as diff axles on the r32 diff, do u know whut kind i would need to use?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
krazyfil
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPNOTIK View Post
A R32 rear subframe is identical to yours, the only difference being the brakes. That's all you need really is just a stock subframe with a good diff. No need to upgrade axles until you get to 600ish HP.

so will the r32 diff bolt right in and could i use the stock axles with it? if so that would be perfect honestly
Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
HYPNOTIK
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
A vlsd is a vlsd, it doesn't matter what car it came out of. If you're going to put a vlsd in it, just get a stock (s-13 or s-14) vlsd if you can as it has the stock gears. The j-30 diff has a taller gear (3.9) so it will kinda suck on a stock ka. The r-32 diff is the gem on your list. If it is a true GTR diff I don't think it will be a vlsd, I think they are clutch type diffs. Also it will come with a 4.36 ring and pinion, which does WONDERS for a stock KA. As far as I know the r-32 diff should bolt-in with different axles. The r-33 and 34 diff housings will not work though.
A GTR uses at 4.1 mechanical 1-way LSD. A GTST VLSD depends wether it is auto or manual, auto cars have a 4.36, manual cars have the 4.1. A stock S14 VLSD is a 4.08, honestly unless your jumping from one end of the spectrum to the other you won't notice much difference. Going from a 4.08 to a 4.3 is only 400rpm difference. If you go with a R32 diff I am selling a set of 5 bolt axles if you need them.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
krazyfil
Zilvia Addict

well what does the stock rear gears have on the s13? cuz i have a buddy with a totaled r32 and he is gonna sell me his rear diff its a gtst manual.. how much of a difference will it make over stock rear?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
HYPNOTIK
Zilvia Addict

I've never had a 13 but I'm almost positive it's a 4.08, if you but a 4.1 in it you're not going to know the difference.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
HYPNOTIK
Zilvia Addict

If his car is wrecked just get his whole subframe. The whole thing will bolt into yours. Does your car have a R180 or R200 stock? If it's R180 you're gonna need to swap the subframe anyway.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
A GTR uses at 4.1 mechanical 1-way LSD. A GTST VLSD depends wether it is auto or manual, auto cars have a 4.36, manual cars have the 4.1. A stock S14 VLSD is a 4.08, honestly unless your jumping from one end of the spectrum to the other you won't notice much difference. Going from a 4.08 to a 4.3 is only 400rpm difference. If you go with a R32 diff I am selling a set of 5 bolt axles if you need them.
Thanks for correcting that. I beg to differ about the difference between a 4.08 and a 4.3 though. I have a 4.3 on my car and everyone who has ridden it before the gearset and after can feel the difference. I'm tempted to try a 4.6 now though.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
krazyfil
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
If his car is wrecked just get his whole subframe. The whole thing will bolt into yours. Does your car have a R180 or R200 stock? If it's R180 you're gonna need to swap the subframe anyway.
how do u check if its r180 or r200? so if its the r200 then the r32 diff should bolt up minus the axles right?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
HYPNOTIK
Zilvia Addict

I also went from the 4.08 to a 4.3, now I have the 4.08 back in. I admit that you can tell the difference but it's not huge. I want to try a 4.6 too, I've had my eye out for a Largo lately.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #16
HYPNOTIK
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfil View Post
how do u check if its r180 or r200? so if its the r200 then the r32 diff should bolt up minus the axles right?
You can use the R32 axles too. Measure the distance between the bolts where the diff bolts to the subframe, that would probly be the easiest way. The R200 is 4 1/2" from center to center, the R180 is alot less, probly around 3" maybe. Once you've seen both of them you can tell just by looking at them, the R180 is just alot smaller physically.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
krazyfil
Zilvia Addict

oh ok awesome... thanks for all the input guys... and thanks for not flaming a newb question