Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
Steven_NISMO
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Steven_NISMO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lightbulb S14 Coilovers Question..

First, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. I wasn't sure where this question would fit in.

I'm looking for a set of coilovers right now, but I'm on a tight budget. I'm looking for a decent set and this is what I found on ebay. 95 98 Nissan 240sx s14 Height Adjustable Suspension Damper Coilovers System Blue | eBay

What I wanna know is if anyone thinks this would be reliable for about a 2-3" drop. The pricing is pretty good and it's priced at a budget I'm on. I have never bought a set of coilovers from ebay and I'm not sure if anyone else on here are buying these also. Thanks, if anyone can help.
Steven_NISMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you want a 2-3" drop and worry about handling, better get a set of lowering springs w/quality dampers. You could find that for around 600$. It may not "look as good" as these (at least for the first 100 miles), but the handling will be vastly superior.

If you dont worry about handling, you may as well just cut your springs or weld your dampers so they dont move. It will be bad and maybe dangerous, but not worse than these. Remember you get what you pay for; entry level quality coilovers start at around 1000$ basically, under that price you will just get crappy items.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
Steven_NISMO
Leaky Injector

Thanks. I'd rather be safe and just do it the right way. I was just wondering if these were being used by people on here and what were the reviews on it.

I'm actually looking for coilovers because later on when I get better wheels I'm probably gonna go lower. I've also seen good reviews on the Godspeed Type RS coilovers and they're a little over my budget but I believe it'll be worth it. I just wasn't sure if these were reliable or not so I guess I better look at the branded ones then.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

They are chinese copies of chinese copies of chinese copies, just like godspeed coilovers.

I am quite sure you can find people with them, and they will tell you they are very good, because they just wanted to go low, not actually have a car that handle nor last ( most of them are just driving to a parking lot once a month with their car; for that kind of usage, they are worth it. Note that i did not write "good" but "worth it" )

Tein monoflex are an example of "affordable" quality coilovers, for example. But they are like 5 times your budget.

Summary:
"tight budget", "coilovers", "build quality - handling - durability". Pick 2.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
wahhpshh

wahhpshh is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the emUSA coilovers for now.. thats all i could afford from where i cant work so i went with them. wont say that they are the best, but better than just a weld on sleeve.
wahhpshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
240jake
Zilvia Member

240jake is an unknown quantity at this point
im in the same boat as you, don't have alot of expendable income wanted CO's but I went with tokico blues and eibach sportline 2" lowering springs setup.
I had heard only bad things about coilovers costing around that.

Do i wish it was a bit stiffer? yeap!
but it rides very well and you'll hate the ride with shitty co's.

my 2c.
240jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Fuck this place...people can't afford cheap knock off parts so they buy knock offs of knock offs. Guess the name "Taco Taco" doesnt raise the fucking alarm on this thing..

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
240jake
Zilvia Member

240jake is an unknown quantity at this point
lol, yeah taco taco SHOULD mean stay away, but as america descends into mexico like 3rd world status, this is what people can afford.
240jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
viksz33

viksz33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Save your money until you can afford better coils.
viksz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
wahhpshh

wahhpshh is an unknown quantity at this point
i really didnt consider my emusas a complete waste since i only gave 200$ (almost brand new) for them. plus my rear struts were blown.
wahhpshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Steven_NISMO
Leaky Injector

Well it really looks like it is a hit or miss with these coilovers. Some people had good experiences with them and some didn't. I guess the only way to find out is if I actually do get them. After all, I'll be using it for daily driving and nothing more than that. No drifting or any of that stuff.

I've seen a lot of good reviews on ISIS coilovers so I'm gonna look into those instead.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
DallasTXjdm
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (41)
DallasTXjdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Save up a little more and just get the real deal!!!
DallasTXjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
A DOG 406
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
A DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
They will probably break after a while. You pay for what you get. If that's all you can afford and saving up more money isnt happening, then go for it. But they will be terrible and have a bouncy ride. probably better than stock struts but not by much. Your better off with lowering springs for the same price and they will last a while.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
240sx, the cheapskates car...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
A DOG 406
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
A DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
240sx, the cheapskates car...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by A DOG 406 View Post
Played out sir, try again...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Do it right the first fucking time, or do not do it at all.

Why waste $400 on a set of shitty coilovers, with absolutly NO customer support to back the product when (not if) they blow; instead of saving up another $5-600 for something that will last you more than a few months, give you a decent ride, and has good customer service when they do eventually blow?

You need to learn to manage your money better, or be a little more patient and buy quality parts rather than buying the cheapest coils on the market because you cant wait.

If your budget is $430 for coilovers than you sir, need to find a new hobby.

Last edited by xoxide; 02-02-2013 at 03:49 PM..
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Shit, I'll sell my $3k Topline Aragostas for $400. Only catch is, you need a new pair of front springs.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
bussitcustoms
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
bussitcustoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Paid $750 for my BC Coils that had under 200 miles on em. Couldnt be happier.

Bare minimum is Megan by my standards. Wouldnt touch anything that *retails* for less than $750. BC's retail for like 1000 but as always, deals can be found.
bussitcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #20
indytrucks
Leaky Injector

indytrucks is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you even looked through the classifieds here? I'm sure you can find something better at a decent price.
indytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #21
jjjawberg
Zilvia Member

jjjawberg is an unknown quantity at this point
are tein ss good i heard they were crap after i bought them but i want to get a wider opinion. they went for 1400 new and i bought them for 950 shipped
jjjawberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
Got Insulin?
Leaky Injector

Got Insulin? is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
"Budgets" are bullshit. Do it right the first fucking time, or do not do it at all.

Budgets are for people who cannot manage their money well, or who are to impatient to wait a few extra months to save enough money for decent quality parts.
Budgets are for people that know how to manage money and save portions here and there to get to a goal, hence being called a "budget." I'm not sure what else you could/would consider that to be.

If you're trying to say that budgeting $450 for C/Os is stupid, that is a pretty supportable idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjawberg View Post
are tein ss good i heard they were crap after i bought them but i want to get a wider opinion. they went for 1400 new and i bought them for 950 shipped

Define "good." What are you expecting them to do, what will you be doing with the car? Are you impressed with a price tag and a seemingly good deal? "Good" is a pretty relative term...
Got Insulin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #23
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Save up and get $1000 PBM coils, or buy used. Never buy ebay.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
They are tein entry level coilover.

Whoever buys coilovers made "for street use" gets what he deserves (ie: crap)
Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #25
jjjawberg
Zilvia Member

jjjawberg is an unknown quantity at this point
i just wanted something that would ride decent, i know its not going to ride like a 4k pair of mono teins but are they going to be complete crap?
handling 1-5
comfort 1-5
jjjawberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
i just wanted something that would ride decent, i know its not going to ride like a 4k pair of mono teins but are they going to be complete crap?
handling 1-5
comfort 1-5
Since when did Teins made $4K coilovers? My fucking Topline Aragostas werent even that expensive brand new!!! Teins suck since they're valved for smoother japanese roads and has soft spring rates. Meaning, itll ride shitty in VA since the roads out here fucking sucks.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
Steven_NISMO
Leaky Injector

To update this thread on what I've done, I got brand new cxracing coils and they're pretty good. In my opinion they were worth it. Got it a couple months ago and I already put almost 3k miles on it.